Quantcast
Tesla vehicle discussion. No Elon or stock chat. - Page 18 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 18 of 69 FirstFirst ... 8 17 18 19 28 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesla vehicle discussion. No Elon or stock chat.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Nope, not at all. The electrons are free. Worst case, I charge in my heated garage where there is no issue.

My guess is a Rav4 Prime will just run the ICE all the time. The hybrid part will only provide traction value and regen value. It will otherwise just be an ICE.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

All taken within second of each other.

Name:  3E53E2BF-89B9-4CE0-8C7B-97D55968DBA3.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  21.1 KB
    Name:  A364CDED-FF28-4003-87CE-5E12760D8C9C.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  20.9 KB
    Name:  A0872939-05BA-4F88-83CF-5B5EE65FE83C.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  21.6 KB

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Are you parking outdoors? I got 22 kwh over 3 hrs in an unheated parking space. 240v 32a.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

outside in the bitter cold at work.

I'm curious, is the charging cable locked to the car when connected so as to stop unknown parties from willingly disconnecting your vehicle from a charger?

My Ride
    15,000 red line

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    300wh/km on my performance. At -5, it's about 230wh/km. it's rated at 185 I think.

Charging is a struggle in this weather. It's about 50% slower at 6kwh (199v @ 30A) that I have at work. So much power is spent warming the battery. Yesterday, I got to work with 25% left and only managed to charge to 75% in about 9 hours. Normally takes 4.5hours.

Basically it goes from charging at 36km/h to 1km/h or even negative (I can see range go down).

Charging 80kms so far this morning has taken 3+ hours.
    Aee those charging rates at 120V? Are you seeing about 40% range loss this wk?

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by ragu View Post
    Aee those charging rates at 120V? Are you seeing about 40% range loss this wk?
    199v according to his screenshot. I am getting roughly the same charging speed as warmer temperatures in an unheated parking but covered spot. Something doesn't sound right.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    I'm curious, is the charging cable locked to the car when connected so as to stop unknown parties from willingly disconnecting your vehicle from a charger?
    They are locked on tesla chargers but not if you use an adapter for other chargers. There is a way to 3d print something that will help the latter though.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

@benyl what was your range like in -30C?

Drove 250km round trip same day for a hockey game last weekend, 130km/h on the highway in -30C, curious how close to the edge that is on the Model 3 Performance range in this weather. No time to charge for the 3 hrs at the game.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

45% for my commute. Was consistently using 300-310 wh/km.

Where was the hockey game?

So here is my data from memory.

If you can preheat your car before you leave, your range isn't really affected that much. you will probably still use 250 wH/km which give you a range of 300km on the performance.

Over 15 hours at -30, I lost 50kms of range parking overnight during a Scouts sleep over at the Hangar museum. You would probably lose 15 kms in 3 hours as long as you let the car sleep. On the way back, you will probably have to turn off the heat. haha.

If I was travelling like that all the time, I would get a ChaDeMo adaptor for $600 that would allow you to top up at Petro Can stations along the way at 50kwh if there are no superchargers on the route. You would need a 10 or 15 minute charge and would be good to go. What will fuck you over at that speed is a headwind. The stories I read about people travelling is all around slowing down to make it to the next charger. haha.

There is more and more charging infrastructure going in everyday.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

45% for my commute. Was consistently using 300-310 wh/km.

Where was the hockey game?

So here is my data from memory.

If you can preheat your car before you leave, your range isn't really affected that much. you will probably still use 250 wH/km which give you a range of 300km on the performance.

Over 15 hours at -30, I lost 50kms of range parking overnight during a Scouts sleep over at the Hangar museum. You would probably lose 15 kms in 3 hours as long as you let the car sleep. On the way back, you will probably have to turn off the heat. haha.

If I was travelling like that all the time, I would get a ChaDeMo adaptor for $600 that would allow you to top up at Petro Can stations along the way at 50kwh if there are no superchargers on the route. You would need a 10 or 15 minute charge and would be good to go. What will fuck you over at that speed is a headwind. The stories I read about people travelling is all around slowing down to make it to the next charger. haha.

There is more and more charging infrastructure going in everyday.
    Calgary to Olds, with some driving around in Olds and Calgary. 250km total. This is one of our closer games, and yea -28C weather from that cold snap. I want to say that I never venture out of town in those kinda conditions, but the last deep freeze we were going West of Edmonton which isn't happening easily at all without stops in any Tesla haha.

I'm assuming heated garage just like you so car is always warm. I guess it's cold in Olds. How much battery drain is in the pre-heat while parked outside without a charger?
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

At full tilt, 8kWh.

Takes like 15 -30 to warm the battery, so you are looking at 5-10% range reduction (closer to 10%).

There is a free 80Amp charger in Olds (chamber of commerce on 51 street, 1 block from the sportsplex). Of that, the Performance can only use 48A. That gives you about 70km/h in charging. So if you could get 1-2 hours on that, you'd be fine.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

I put some mock info into A better route planner and it says you can do it with a 4 minute stop at cross iron on the way.

https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?pla...b-f6c051cfd57a

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I put some mock info into A better route planner and it says you can do it with a 4 minute stop at cross iron on the way.

Thanks for these honest assessments. Have been much nicer to read than the pure fanboi stuff I usually see, and if anything, makes me like the car more.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Thanks for these honest assessments. Have been much nicer to read than the pure fanboi stuff I usually see, and if anything, makes me like the car more.
    Yeah, I am not going to sugarcoat anything. I jumped in with both feet and replaced both cars knowing that there is information I don't have. Sure, I was surprised at the range loss at -30, but I am not going to bitch about it. The forums and the facebook groups are filled with fanboys and morons that ask the same questions all the time. It's frustrating, but wading through the chaff, I have learned a few things.

The best fanboying is when people complain about something and then say: "I still love my Tesla."

I once said that I don't understand why people love OTA updates so much. We are all basically beta testers for shitty code being written by Tesla. I got a lot of push back saying they love that the car is improving. My response was that they are releasing functionality that is already standard in other cars. Things like text to speech for text messages. Fanboys worship Elon. oh wait, no Elon chat in this thread.

My Ride
    something green

This is where I doubt the usefulness of an ev pickup truck, with the range drops due to weather apparent, think of what payload and trailer towing would do to range uncertainty.
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by Maxt View Post
    This is where I doubt the usefulness of an ev pickup truck, with the range drops due to weather apparent, think of what payload and trailer towing would do to range uncertainty.
    Honestly I think an EV pickup would satisfy the needs of 80% of pickup buyers in the vast majority of locales. No line of sight to them being good enough for real work, but for all the casual buyers who want a car with a bed an EV pickup would be just fine.

Rural Canada is always going to be a challenge for EV’s due to distances and cold involved.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Fremont

Quote Originally Posted by Maxt View Post
    The way the most Superchargers & L2 chargers are setup, you typically back into the stall to access the cable.
    Not at all conducive to any vehicle with a trailer. Unless you get that 1 of 8 front access stall, but then you're instantly the jerk with the trailer in the aisle of a busy Cross Iron Mills parking lot.
    Also can't get into Southgate Mall's supercharger with a roof rack/accessories because it's inconveniently placed on the 2nd level of a parkade.

It's nice to see good news roll into r/teslamotors/ but quality content is few & far between these days, and just turns into another fanboy echo chamber.

With that said, I love my arowana-faced tablet on wheels.
    240v charger in the garage, 120v in the work parkade. No gas station during the cold snap, no problems.
    -

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Yeah, when I saw this two days ago, I laughed and said I don’t care.

Name:  0BCDDFCD-3580-4802-AF84-B3C1DA8E70F0.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  17.7 KB

My Ride
    2018 Tesla P3D

I'll admit I was a fanboi when I first got the car (maybe still am a bit). But after my second winter in the car now, I do find it tiring having to charge the car almost nightly. At least it was only needed during last week. Parking it outside for a full day sure takes a toll on the range. That said, plugging in overnight in the garage is still immensely easier than standing out in the bitter cold filling up for that 5 mins. So maybe I am still fanboi-ing...

Get 6 months of free supercharging & FSD trial when you buy a new Tesla: https://ts.la/simon82305
    Free test drives for actual interested parties! We own both a Model 3 Performance and a Model X 90D.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

At full tilt, 8kWh.

Takes like 15 -30 to warm the battery, so you are looking at 5-10% range reduction (closer to 10%).

There is a free 80Amp charger in Olds (chamber of commerce on 51 street, 1 block from the sportsplex). Of that, the Performance can only use 48A. That gives you about 70km/h in charging. So if you could get 1-2 hours on that, you'd be fine.

Thanks. Basically, when I go EV I need to keep a single ICE car for the 3-4 times a year exceptions like that. I just want hassle free and minimal time planning, so to not have consistency and be on the edge would drive me nuts. Not a huge deal but something to contemplate.

Page 18 of 69 FirstFirst ... 8 17 18 19 28 ... LastLast