Quantcast
Tesla vehicle discussion. No Elon or stock chat. - Page 64 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 64 of 69 FirstFirst ... 54 63 64 65 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,280 of 1372

Thread: Tesla vehicle discussion. No Elon or stock chat.

My Ride
    Trucks

Good info guys. I only have a 40A circuit to my detached garage and it would be a royal pain in the dick to upsize the feed from #8s to #6 AWG for more juice. Edit: I only have 30A now.

My Ride
    2018 Tesla P3D

Quote Originally Posted by Darell_n View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good info guys. I only have a 40A circuit to my detached garage and it would be a royal pain in the dick to upsize the feed from #8s to #6 AWG for more juice. Edit: I only have 30A now.
    Can you clarify? Do you have a 30A breaker on your main panel or do you have 30A (after the breaker) going into the garage? Remember, you can only use up to 80% of the breaker size, so with a 30A breaker, it means you only have 24A coming out. Is there a separate sub-panel in the garage or just a single breaker from your house's main panel leading to the garage?
    Last edited by mo_money2supe; 09-07-2023 at 06:18 PM.

Get 6 months of free supercharging & FSD trial when you buy a new Tesla: https://ts.la/simon82305
    Free test drives for actual interested parties! We own both a Model 3 Performance and a Model X 90D.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

If you hardwire your charger (not just a plug) and it’s the only device on that breaker you can go to 100% of the rated breaker size and be code complaint I thought because of the load type

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    If you hardwire your charger (not just a plug) and it’s the only device on that breaker you can go to 100% of the rated breaker size and be code complaint I thought because of the load type
    This doesn’t sound right, but I don’t know.

I didn’t think you could ever go 100% of the rated breaker.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

What is safety in the face of the CLIMATE EMERGENCY
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by mo_money2supe View Post
    Can you clarify? Do you have a 30A breaker on your main panel or do you have 30A (after the breaker) going into the garage? Remember, you can only use up to 80% of the breaker size, so with a 30A breaker, it means you only have 24A coming out. Is there a separate sub-panel in the garage or just a single breaker from your house's main panel leading to the garage?
    30A breaker in the house to a sub panel in the garage. Underground pipe is too small for larger wires, was daydreaming about EVs most of the summer but ended with another turbo gasser as a god intended. Will check back in another 10 more years.

My Ride
    2018 Tesla P3D

I'm not an electrician so can't say with absolute certainty, but my understanding for why you only get delivered 80% of your breaker size is so that it accounts for surges in the power source. If you get the full 100% all the time, your breaker would be tripping frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by Darell_n View Post
    30A breaker in the house to a sub panel in the garage. Underground pipe is too small for larger wires, was daydreaming about EVs most of the summer but ended with another turbo gasser as a god intended. Will check back in another 10 more years.
    Your sub-panel in the garage is getting only 24A (at 240V) then. Some of that power is then diverted to 15A (at 120V) for sockets, lights, and such. You'll have to get a load calculation done to then determine how much amperage is left (at 240V) to dedicate a wall charger. Here's a load calc link that I saved once upon a time ago, not that I actually know how to use it, but hey, it's a resource anyway: https://www.douglashelmer.com/panel/index.htm

Hypothetically speaking, let's say you can get a full 24A @ 240V to your wall charger in your garage. That equates to 5.76 kW. Say you need to charge a Model 3 with a 75 kWh battery approx. 25% each day (75 * 0.25 = 18.75 kWh). Your 5.76 kW charger will need ~3.25 hrs to charge the car. At 25%, that's theoretically up to 130km (real world use is still ~75 km) driven each day! Use the same math to adjust accordingly for your usage. Basically what I'm saying is everyone thinks they need 100A dedicated to just a wall charger alone and need to upgrade their house panel, but when you use basic marths, it's never actually needed.

Get 6 months of free supercharging & FSD trial when you buy a new Tesla: https://ts.la/simon82305
    Free test drives for actual interested parties! We own both a Model 3 Performance and a Model X 90D.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

I thought nec625.41 was updated to allow 100% if the current is limited by a management device aka the charger but rereading it I think I misunderstood where it refers to installations where there’s a management device and multiple chargers that limits output based on how many are in use. I.e. 3x30A chargers but the device limits it to 80A total so you only have to consider it as a 80A load rather than the sum of all individual devices.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Quote Originally Posted by bjstare View Post
    Ya new ones are cheap, but with how much stuff they’re stripping from them, I figured there might actually be a case of a low Km used one being a better car. I have done zero research to investigate this though.

I actually didnt realize how much they dropped the price on 3s. M3p for <$70k new.
    When it comes to Tesla newer is usually better. Yes the newer models may be slightly decontented compared to past models but the new suspension alone is worth more than losing stalks. The ride is supposedly better (it's not well sorted over rough pavement in current cars) and the upper control arms are faulty on all model 3's manufactured up until this year. Any old model with the steel stamped UCA's will require replacement and if it's out of warranty it will be out of pocket. Also build quality is always improving even if they still have a ways to go to match legacy automakers.

My Ride
    V167

The truck is coming ?

Here is one with a toyota wrap LOL:

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

It's neat that a terrible render is probably more real looking than a photo at this point.

I think that's neat.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    M3P

After one of the more recent updates I'm finding the quality of the cameras at night time to have been degraded substantially, anyone else?

My Ride
    2018 Tesla P3D

Quote Originally Posted by hurrdurr View Post
    After one of the more recent updates I'm finding the quality of the cameras at night time to have been degraded substantially, anyone else?
    Can't say I've noticed anything different on the backup camera, but definitely noticed the side repeaters when you signal looking darker and grainier. These darker mornings lately hasn't helped though.

My Ride
    M3P

Quote Originally Posted by mo_money2supe View Post
    Can't say I've noticed anything different on the backup camera, but definitely noticed the side repeaters when you signal looking darker and grainier. These darker mornings lately hasn't helped though.
    Yea! Any lights from cars creates a huge glare and render them useless lately. Initially I thought the update was supposed to improve quality and visibility but

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by hurrdurr View Post
    Yea! Any lights from cars creates a huge glare and render them useless lately. Initially I thought the update was supposed to improve quality and visibility but
    Stupid question but have you cleaned the camera?

My Ride
    M3P

Stupid question but have you cleaned the camera?
    I have not - however the differential in the quality of what is being projected on the screen from the cameras since the update is night and day, definitely not dirt or debris in on the lens

Anyone here in line for a cyber truck?

Sounds like Tesla is making buyers sign an agreement stating they won’t resell it within a year (unless it’s back to Tesla) or they get sued for $50k US.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

So did you sign or not?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by rc2002 View Post
    Anyone here in line for a cyber truck?

Sounds like Tesla is making buyers sign an agreement stating they won’t resell it within a year (unless it’s back to Tesla) or they get sued for $50k US.
    I dunno who in the right mind would buy that thing except for Tech bros.

Anyways, I signed.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Some of the pictures and videos of the CT are not looking so great

It was damaged during off-road testing, and the upper control arm design is less than re-assuring

Page 64 of 69 FirstFirst ... 54 63 64 65 ... LastLast