Quantcast
Tesla vehicle discussion. No Elon or stock chat. - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 69 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesla vehicle discussion. No Elon or stock chat.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Probably a 30A home charger in a heated garage would work fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2018 Tesla P3D

Quote Originally Posted by Kobe View Post
    I've been thinking about purchasing one, it seems like the best choice (not looking at price)

But do people have problems with charging ever if they don't have a garage? This seems like my biggest concern, and then yah the cold weather as well and lower battery life I never did think about before.

I don't want to plug it into the power overnight and have it sitting outside, i'm scared the power will get stolen and I'm assuming it's not that cheap (how much does 1 of those cost?)
    Even if someone tried to steal electricity from you, that's what, a whole whopping $1/day they'd freeload from you? I average only about $40/month in electricity costs charging mine.

If anyone tried to steal the charger itself, then they either don't know what a live 240V load does to their system or they REALLY know what they're doing, in which case, why steal a $600 charging unit?

For those who don't like the fish-chin look of the front, I present to you the following:

OR, you can be modest and go with a new front fascia (I actually quite like this one, just can't justify the price):
    https://unpluggedperformance.com/pro...ascia-model-3/

Or a front lip spoiler:
    https://www.rpmtesla.com/collections...nt-lip-spoiler

Or just a cheapo front vinyl:
    https://www.rpmtesla.com/collections...39-with-20-off

Get 6 months of free supercharging & FSD trial when you buy a new Tesla: https://ts.la/simon82305
    Free test drives for actual interested parties! We own both a Model 3 Performance and a Model X 90D.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Xtrema Maths!

That's actually quite accurate. Some parking places downtown offer free charging. Usually at 220v 48a, but have seen an 80a charger. I did some quick marthing. The 220v/48a is probably 10-15% more efficient than 120v.

Kobe. The charger is just under $400 each, but they are locked to the car while it is charging. You can get by without a garage but it would be a pain if it's not at least covered.

My Ride
    2018 Tesla P3D

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    I would use mo_money's referral code as well, even though he doesn't need the supercharger miles, purely for the Netflix N Chill fun.

- - - Updated - - -

Pssshh...'03s acting like they own this joint.

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    Dilemma, I have delivery scheduled for Friday. But I want these wheels.

https://electrek.co/2019/10/17/tesla...rmance-wheels/

Edit: nevermind. All Model 3s seem to have gone up $1k overnight. Am I reading it right?
    From what I've been reading on the Tesla forums (man, do I actually do any work around here?? Yes, Mr. Caraba, I know you're reading this post too - get back to work dude!), the $1k extra INCLUDES freight, so the price hasn't technically changed. I could be wrong though...
    Last edited by mo_money2supe; 10-17-2019 at 12:21 PM.

Get 6 months of free supercharging & FSD trial when you buy a new Tesla: https://ts.la/simon82305
    Free test drives for actual interested parties! We own both a Model 3 Performance and a Model X 90D.

My Ride
    2018 Tesla P3D

Kobe. The charger is just under $400 each, but they are locked to the car while it is charging. You can get by without a garage but it would be a pain if it's not at least covered.
    The HPWC is $500 USD or some $630 CAD depending on the day's exchange rate...

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by mo_money2supe View Post
    The HPWC is $500 USD or some $630 CAD depending on the day's exchange rate...
    Most people won't need the HPWC. Plus if I recall correctly, the advantage is only like an extra 8a (against gen 1 mobile) vs loss of portability.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Charge rates if anyone is curious

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Here's the range bible that I've been using to figure out if Tesla works for me for my family road trips through the year.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TroyTesli...20763955396608

I sent that to Super_Geo to try to convince him into a Performance, but instead he realized the MR works fine, just more charging on trips.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Cayenne S, 335i Cab

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question...but is a Tesla with considering if its permanently parked outside? Can I run a cable to charge outside at -30C consistantly ?

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Most people won't need the HPWC. Plus if I recall correctly, the advantage is only like an extra 8a (against gen 1 mobile) vs loss of portability.
    The cost to wire a 14-50 range plug with 50A breaker for the portable charger should be similar to the HPWC. You need to invest $50ish for the 14-50 adapter for the portable charger. https://shop.tesla.com/en_ca/product...-nema-adapters

It's a 16A difference. The portable charger has a max 32A charge. HPWC goes to 48A.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RX_EVOLV View Post
    I'm sorry if this is a stupid question...but is a Tesla with considering if its permanently parked outside? Can I run a cable to charge outside at -30C consistantly ?
    yep, lots of people do that.

My Ride
    Faux X 4 Mall Crawler

They need to make a model 3 wagon (not cute-Ute model y)
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    06 S2000

Does anyone drive the SR/RWD in Calgary year round? Have you had any issues in the snow/ice/cold? That would be the biggest reason I would consider an LR.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    Eclipse

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Remember that while you could charge EV on 110v/15a circuit, you still want to charge them with a more efficient 220v/50a outlet.

120v/15a can only top up at 1.4kw/h If people are using 300wh/km in winter and 40km round trip, you are looking it 12kw per day. You will need to charge your car for 10hr per day at that rate just to cover that range. And this doesn't even count the burn rate to keep battery above 0c for charging.

Unless you live exclusively on supercharging, a garage is a must for EV in Calgary.

Ya this is what i don't like, I wouldn't be driving the car daily but I also don't want to go charge it because of the cold winters. Seems like a good idea on paper but also not to purchase a tesla not having a garage in Calgary to park it. I hope they solve this issue in the future that the battery won't be draining from the cold like it does or the length it takes to charge.
    Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

My Ride
    2018 Tesla P3D

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Here's the range bible that I've been using to figure out if Tesla works for me for my family road trips through the year.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TroyTesli...20763955396608

I sent that to Super_Geo to try to convince him into a Performance, but instead he realized the MR works fine, just more charging on trips.
    Try using this site to plan your road trips. Easier to work with using real life variables, including elevation and weather changes throughout the trip.
    www.abetterrouteplanner.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kobe View Post
    Ya this is what i don't like, I wouldn't be driving the car daily but I also don't want to go charge it because of the cold winters. Seems like a good idea on paper but also not to purchase a tesla not having a garage in Calgary to park it. I hope they solve this issue in the future that the battery won't be draining from the cold like it does or the length it takes to charge.
    The cost to install a NEMA 14-50 plug (charger comes with the car, just need to buy a plug for $30) is some $200. If you fancy the Tesla wall unit, add another $600ish to that. How much do you spend on gas a month currently? I spent $300/mth on my old S4 (used Petro-94 due to the stage 2 tune), compared to the Tesla @ $40/mth. Within no time at all, the electrical upgrades to your house are already paid for. Xtrema's example is only if you used your current 120V/12A (1.44kW) plugs at home. Getting a let's say 240V/40A (9.6kW) setup with the NEMA 14-50 plug will net you over 6x the charging speed. Upgrading to the Tesla wall unit can up that speed to 240V/48A (11.52kW), which is 8x faster than your standard plug! The jist of it is, upgrade your electrical and winter is no issue whatsoever for even the SR, even if your car stays parked outside all winter.
    Last edited by mo_money2supe; 10-17-2019 at 02:52 PM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by mo_money2supe View Post
    Xtrema's example is only if you used your current 120V/12A (1.44kW) plugs at home. Getting a let's say 240V/40A (9.6kW) setup with the NEMA 14-50 plug will net you over 6x the charging speed. Upgrading to the Tesla wall unit can up that speed to 240V/48A (11.52kW), which is 8x faster than your standard plug! The jist of it is, upgrade your electrical and winter is no issue whatsoever for even the SR, even if your car stays parked outside all winter.
    I am just using what's the norm whenever someone say they park outside or have no access to a garage.

Also, I'm also not sure if out much it would cost for an outdoor rated NEMA 14-50 plug would be, but my guess is it would be more than $200 since you probably have to run longer wire from panel and the plug will have to be weather proofed.

My Ride
    Fremont

Biggest cost is the wire: 6/3 with a ground, covered wire.
    Home Depot is running ~$13/meter when I looked last week, or
    https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B000HEHCMS/...v_ov_lig_dp_it
    No need for conduit or armor when running through studs. Location of your main panel to your future receptacle determines this cost.

I can do it myself (probably), but I don't know what the CoC electrical permitting process is like or if they need to see a residential load calculation, etc etc.
    The rest of the materials isn't too bad for an interior garage install:
    -$30, 50amp 2pole breaker
    -$15, outlet box
    -$15, 14-50 receptacle
    -$10, wall plate
    -misc. clamps and consumables.

Armored cable is a completely different cost all together in the event you have to run a trench into a detached garage
    If doing an exterior outlet, might as well have a lockbox you can coil your charging cable in.
    -

My Ride
    2018 Tesla P3D

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    I am just using what's the norm whenever someone say they park outside or have no access to a garage.

Also, I'm also not sure if out much it would cost for an outdoor rated NEMA 14-50 plug would be, but my guess is it would be more than $200 since you probably have to run longer wire from panel and the plug will have to be weather proofed.
    The costs that LLLimit listed are pretty standard industry prices. AWG 6/3 cu wire is already weather proof, but code does require PVC conduit for the outdoor exposed areas, which is maybe $1/ft. Most newer homes built in the 21st century have their panels directly in the basement near the front door, so the wiring length to get it outside will be pretty minimal. I priced out just material costs for a NEMA 14-50 for my house (into the garage though) at only $150, except I went with the HPWC option instead, so add the $630 for the wall unit, less the costs of the 14-50 receptacle. So add in the exterior lockbox (for a typical 21st century home w/o garage) and yes, I do believe it will be around $200. Add CoC permitting fees (~$150) if you care for insurance coverage and/or labour if you can't figure out how to drill a hole through a foundation wall.

Quote Originally Posted by LLLimit View Post
    I can do it myself (probably), but I don't know what the CoC electrical permitting process is like or if they need to see a residential load calculation, etc etc.
    The CoC permitting process is fairly easy if you're installing it yourself. What you need is a Homeowner Electrical Permit for ~$150 from the City: https://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Pages/...s-permits.aspx
    There will be 1-2 inspections and you will only require a residential load calc if you are running more than a 40A breaker on a 100A panel, which would then also likely require a disconnect switch. Most new builds will have a 200A panel though...

My Ride

I am going to lose 20k supercharger miles soon...urgh.

Crazy, in the past couple days the SR+ went up by $1000 and the range went from 386km to 402km (240mi to 250mi for the US version).
    Not sure if they upped the battery pack from 54kWh, or software efficiency gains, or just a different EPA/measurement methodology?

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

The range anxiety (I'm one of those people that gets antsy when my tank drops below 1/4) isn't worth it for me and having to plan holidays around charging stations seems counterintuitive to vacationing and relaxing. I'm perfectly happy to enjoy the golden age of ICE vehicles until rages improve and we have the proper infrastructure.

Page 3 of 69 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast