Quantcast
Tesla vehicle discussion. No Elon or stock chat. - Page 20 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 20 of 69 FirstFirst ... 10 19 20 21 30 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesla vehicle discussion. No Elon or stock chat.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

I come with fart mode without the need for OTA updates.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by supe View Post
    With Tesla you get them for free OTA. Its like Christmas every time you get an update.
    For now. The extra power and efficiency updates were free until they released the Acceleration upgrade for Dual Motor cars for $2K USD.

One pedal driving was on the Bolt at launch.

Don't get me wrong, I like free. I just don't understand why people love the upgrades soooooo much.

I do have a feeling that we are going to start seeing paid DLC. It's even foretold with Elon saying that rear heated seats will be a paid upgrade option for standard range.

Don't forget, I like the car enough to have purchased 2 of them.

My Ride
    2020 Genesis G70

I actually came very close to buying a Model 3 LR to replace my written off G70. Problem is, the 2020 G70 was ~$57K with GST and the Tesla was over $80K, and if I wanted the performance, over $90K with GST. So much money when I have a gas card from work for the $3-400 a month I use in fuel (plus a few touchless washes each month...). It was just too hard to justify that extra money. Sure I didn't need FSD and could save almost $10K there, but the car is still a lot more money and doesn't feel as expensive inside as the G70 (aside from the big ass screen).

A few things that bother me about the Model 3 that I wish they would fix:

1. No wireless cell phone charging, c'mon even economy cars for ~$25K have that now.
    2. No cooled seats - best thing in the world imo
    3. That wood strip with the black interior is hideous, there has to be something better (dark wood, aluminum, carbon fiber...anything else!)
    4. HUD. I know the screen is huge and has a ton of info, but I really like HUD's and think it would still be nice
    5. Just an overall more luxurious interior. It just feels cheap in there (again, aside from the big ass screen).

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

This seems bizarre for Tesla to be pulling software after a new owner takes possession.

https://jalopnik.com/tesla-remotely-...mer-1841472617
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by 90_Shelby View Post
    This seems bizarre for Tesla to be pulling software after a new owner takes possession.

Isn't that just timing. It could have happened before or long after depending on audit timing.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by blownz View Post
    I actually came very close to buying a Model 3 LR to replace my written off G70. Problem is, the 2020 G70 was ~$57K with GST and the Tesla was over $80K, and if I wanted the performance, over $90K with GST. So much money when I have a gas card from work for the $3-400 a month I use in fuel (plus a few touchless washes each month...). It was just too hard to justify that extra money. Sure I didn't need FSD and could save almost $10K there, but the car is still a lot more money and doesn't feel as expensive inside as the G70 (aside from the big ass screen).

A few things that bother me about the Model 3 that I wish they would fix:

1. No wireless cell phone charging, c'mon even economy cars for ~$25K have that now.
    2. No cooled seats - best thing in the world imo
    3. That wood strip with the black interior is hideous, there has to be something better (dark wood, aluminum, carbon fiber...anything else!)
    4. HUD. I know the screen is huge and has a ton of info, but I really like HUD's and think it would still be nice
    5. Just an overall more luxurious interior. It just feels cheap in there (again, aside from the big ass screen).
    don't get FSD. Current cars in the US have traffic light visualization. Canadian cars do not have that.

Even if FSD comes out in the US in the next 2 years, there is no certainty that it will come out in Canada.

1. Wireless phone charging is a $50 fix.
    2. this will piss me off in the summer. You can precondition the car before you get to it to cool down the whole cabin, but that is not the same.
    3. I'm getting a cover for it. fucking drives me nuts.
    4. Hud would be great.
    5. Agreed. I bought the car for the power. It's like an STi or an Evo. Expensive for the moving bits in a tin can container.
    6. I thought I couldn't live without Apple CarPlay.
    Other than waze police notification, I don't miss it at all. The routing and ETA is way better on the native Tesla Navigation as compared to Google Maps, Apple Maps or Waze. Bluetooth integration is improving. Album art wasn't available when I picked up my first car, but came in the next update. Calendar integration is cool where if you put the address in your next appointment, the navigation automatically set it as a destination.

Text notifications is new. It reads it to you and also displays the text. Carplay won't let you see the text. Voice commands are pretty good.

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    Isn't that just timing. It could have happened before or long after depending on audit timing.
    I'm not familiar with auto manufacturers doing audits on their vehicles and pulling options that previous clients paid for, is that a thing?

Another example from the article:

I sell dozens of Teslas a year, and sold my father in law a Model X P90D with ludicrous speed package. 60 days after the purchase of the car, Tesla removed his ludicrous speed package. Upon complaints to them they said he never paid for it. We have video evidence and multiple pictures of the vehicle with it. They even removed the line under the P90D. I am still shocked at these acts.

Also from the article:

Alec isn’t alone in his experience; Tesla message boards have stories from other owners who have experienced similar incidents.

All of what happened here goes completely counter to how we’ve understood the buying and selling of used cars since there were used cars to sell. Whatever equipment the car had on it at the time of sale was part of that sale, period.

Subscription-based services like OnStar would be different, but that’s not what we’re dealing with here; this is an optional feature of the car paid for once, like cruise control or A/C or a radio. You can’t just yank it out after the car is sold with those features understood to be part of the car.

It sets a bad precedent if carmakers are going to be able to de-content used cars after sale; technically, any feature that is available to be activated or deactivated in software could be vulnerable to something like this, and I can’t think of any context where remote removal after purchase is okay.

In fact, it seems like a pretty shitty thing to do, a craven attempt to double-dip and get money for the same features every time the car is re-sold.
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    2020 Genesis G70

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    don't get FSD. Current cars in the US have traffic light visualization. Canadian cars do not have that.

Even if FSD comes out in the US in the next 2 years, there is no certainty that it will come out in Canada.

1. Wireless phone charging is a $50 fix.
    2. this will piss me off in the summer. You can precondition the car before you get to it to cool down the whole cabin, but that is not the same.
    3. I'm getting a cover for it. fucking drives me nuts.
    4. Hud would be great.
    5. Agreed. I bought the car for the power. It's like an STi or an Evo. Expensive for the moving bits in a tin can container.
    6. I thought I couldn't live without Apple CarPlay.
    Other than waze police notification, I don't miss it at all. The routing and ETA is way better on the native Tesla Navigation as compared to Google Maps, Apple Maps or Waze. Bluetooth integration is improving. Album art wasn't available when I picked up my first car, but came in the next update. Calendar integration is cool where if you put the address in your next appointment, the navigation automatically set it as a destination.

Text notifications is new. It reads it to you and also displays the text. Carplay won't let you see the text. Voice commands are pretty good.
    Glad to see you pretty much agree with me. Too many Tesla owners would respond with "Those are all stupid things, Tesla is better than everything else!" lol

I do know a few people with Tesla's and I agree with you on the maps. Although Android Auto is smart enough to grab my calendar address when I get in the car.

Regarding the wood strip, are you having it covered with a film or are there actual replacements you can get?

I did look close in December when I wrote off my G70, but even without the FSD (and seriously, how to you live without summon?) the Long range was an extra $16K and the performance was $24K extra. It was just a bit too much when like I said I wouldn't actually save any money in fuel or maintenance. And I really did love the G70 and wasn't tired of it yet. Maybe next time. That said, when I ordered my 2020 G70 in late December, I received it in 12 days including going over Christmas and New Years (was was originally in Vancouver port). A buddy of mine ordered a Model 3 long range the week before me and he is still waiting. Apparently in the new year Tesla started on a large batch of cars not for NA so everyone is waiting right now. That would have also sucked for me since I was without a car and the insurance company wouldn't have let me keep a rental for that long. I take that as a sign I made the right choice for now. I am hopeful for an actual premium interior at some point to make it more appealing.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by blownz View Post
    Regarding the wood strip, are you having it covered with a film or are there actual replacements you can get?

My Ride
    something green

Reselling options to new buyers, are these options actually just subscriptions then? That makes a used tesla with software enhancement options no more valuable than a car without.
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    ute

I'm not familiar with auto manufacturers doing audits on their vehicles and pulling options that previous clients paid for, is that a thing?

Another example from the article:

I sell dozens of Teslas a year, and sold my father in law a Model X P90D with ludicrous speed package. 60 days after the purchase of the car, Tesla removed his ludicrous speed package. Upon complaints to them they said he never paid for it. We have video evidence and multiple pictures of the vehicle with it. They even removed the line under the P90D. I am still shocked at these acts.

Also from the article:

Alec isn’t alone in his experience; Tesla message boards have stories from other owners who have experienced similar incidents.

All of what happened here goes completely counter to how we’ve understood the buying and selling of used cars since there were used cars to sell. Whatever equipment the car had on it at the time of sale was part of that sale, period.

Subscription-based services like OnStar would be different, but that’s not what we’re dealing with here; this is an optional feature of the car paid for once, like cruise control or A/C or a radio. You can’t just yank it out after the car is sold with those features understood to be part of the car.

It sets a bad precedent if carmakers are going to be able to de-content used cars after sale; technically, any feature that is available to be activated or deactivated in software could be vulnerable to something like this, and I can’t think of any context where remote removal after purchase is okay.

In fact, it seems like a pretty shitty thing to do, a craven attempt to double-dip and get money for the same features every time the car is re-sold.
    What a shit company.

I'm trying to think of another shit company that survives off of being a cult.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Apple?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Apple?
    I prefer Android to Apple, but I don't think I would describe Apple as a shit company. Tesla just sucks.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    I prefer Android to Apple, but I don't think I would describe Apple as a shit company. Tesla just sucks.
    Apple manages to be a pretty real company AND a cult.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Apple has made some epic failures in recent history (Ip4 antenna?) . But now they have moved away from new ideas and innovation, and into just mass production of the same BS devices as 2008, but with slightly new features every few years and increase the price.

Can you imagine telling someone in 2005 their mobile phone was going to cost 1500$???? It would result in immediate ridicule.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Just like the mighty Ford Raptor, Nobody BUYS the phones. They are just a monthly payment.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post

Just like the mighty Ford Raptor, Nobody BUYS the phones. They are just a monthly payment.
    I don’t remember the last time I had a subsidized iPhone, I buy them unlocked at the Apple store and save the 30-40/mo on my plans.

Speaking of monthly payments... just spent the morning toodling around the boy show. That’s some next level monthly payments and bad financial literacy lol
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    Can you imagine telling someone in 2005 their mobile phone was going to cost 1500$???? It would result in immediate ridicule.
    yep

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_Razr

was around $1200 CAD at launch if i recall correctly

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

You guys just aren’t old enough. Bunch of us old timers were buying $2k+ phones well before the iPhone. Moto Elite and Startac VIPs.

As for this used Tesla business, I believe they only strip out the options if Tesla themselves resell the car so they can double dip. I don’t think that’s happening on the 3rd party resale market. Only reason this example happened is because they bought from Tesla at auction but seems like someone fucked up the details somewhere. That part is not surprising haha.

If it is happening in 3rd party transfers, then ya that’s a shit move.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    You guys just aren’t old enough. Bunch of us old timers were buying $2k+ phones well before the iPhone. Moto Elite and Startac VIPs.
    How often did Motorola do "audits" and remove features from the phones?

Page 20 of 69 FirstFirst ... 10 19 20 21 30 ... LastLast