Quantcast
Tesla vehicle discussion. No Elon or stock chat. - Page 68 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 68 of 69 FirstFirst ... 58 67 68 69 LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,360 of 1372

Thread: Tesla vehicle discussion. No Elon or stock chat.

My Ride
    2018 Tesla P3D

Quote Originally Posted by bjstare View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’m with him as well. And we have squeaky clean claims records but manage to still get boned no matter who quotes us haha.
    Don't know what to tell ya... I just double-checked my policy again (renewed just Sep. 2023). It actually only costs me $1,262/yr for the 3. And on the wife's MX, it's only $1,596/yr but with full glass coverage. Maybe give Bill a shout again and see what he can do? The only other thing I didn't mention earlier is occupational discount (engineer), but that might save me a few small %-age only a year.

Get 6 months of free supercharging & FSD trial when you buy a new Tesla: https://ts.la/simon82305
    Free test drives for actual interested parties! We own both a Model 3 Performance and a Model X 90D.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Insurance is weird. TD as astronomical for home insurance but still by far the cheapest car insurance everytime I shop around. Intact was the opposite and my home insurance is way less than anyone else but they wanted way more to add my car onto my policy.

So even with the multi discounts it’s still cheaper to keep them separate.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Insurance is weird. TD as astronomical for home insurance but still by far the cheapest car insurance everytime I shop around. Intact was the opposite and my home insurance is way less than anyone else but they wanted way more to add my car onto my policy.

Bill found me cheaper insurance for my new driver son compared to TD by something like $2k (td wanted $7k and we got it for $5k). Of course first week in he gets rear ended. Dealing with the cheaper insurance and adjusters isn’t forth the price difference. The hoops and chase this kid had to go through to finally get his car assessed and approved would’ve sapped the life outta me. 3 months later, it’s finally going into the shop. Probably done in another month.

All my claims with TD have been easy. You get what you pay for. Definitely reconsidering moving my insurance for something cheaper.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    06 S2000

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post

That's weird. Swapping to TD dropped my home insurance an insane amount.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

TD has been shooting themselves in the foot by forcing clients into coverage buckets based on their postal code.

The only product they could offer me was $5 million of coverage, which was both ridiculous and ridiculously expensive. Just completely uncompetitive in the market.

If you live somewhere where that bucket was 1 or 2 million I would imagine their prices are 20-40% of what I was being quoted, which was ultimately what I was able to lock in by switching.

It’s not just me who has noticed this, I have spoken to a half dozen people who have been floored by TD’s new packages. Currently trying to help my parents find new coverage, after 30 years of being with TD.

/rant
    Last edited by killramos; 12-13-2023 at 09:25 AM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

I looked at swapping to Touchstone as well for TD, but their pricing fell apart a bit when including freaking bikes. "$3 per $100 of insurance" past 2k of insurance. Between me and the wife having 4 bikes, this was a $600 hit a year (and my Camper was ~$230/yr). Kinda killed the swap for me, even with better pricing for car insurance

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Ya really have to shop around. Insurance is so different for each circumstance that there no useful rules of thumb. Ibth8nknthe insurance companies make it confusing on purpose to make people give up and pay more.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Ibth8nknthe.
    You stroke out for a second?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Cellphone keyboard, fat hand, autocorrect sux.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Some pretty major Tesla struggles to ramp Cybertruck production

https://www.autoblog.com/2023/12/21/.../?guccounter=1

one of the main bottlenecks is the speed it can make the 4680 batteries used in the Cybertruck with its new dry-coating technology, nine people familiar with the matter said. Tesla's Giga Texas factory is currently churning out 4680 battery cells at rate only sufficient to power about 24,000 Cybertrucks a year, or about a 10th of the required output, according to Reuters calculations based on a combination of public data and unpublished figures provided by sources.

Being able to ramp up battery output massively by dry-coating electrodes - rather than using the slower, more costly wet-coating - was a key factor behind Tesla's forecasts in 2020 that it would more than halve battery costs, cut investment significantly, and create smaller, greener factories. The nine people, who spoke to Reuters on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the matter, said Tesla had yet to crack dry-coating at the industrial scale needed to make 4680 batteries fast enough to hit its production targets.

At the moment, Tesla's Austin factory takes about 16 weeks to make 10 million 4680 cells, according to Reuters calculations based on figures from Tesla, verified by the three sources.
    That translates to 32.5 million cells a year, or enough for just under 24,000 pickups - and that's only for the Cybertruck.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Tesla lies? Quelle surprise
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Macan GTS

Thinking ahead to Q1/Q2 2024, I had pretty much decided on the Model Y Performance. I had gone for a test drive and had been chatting with the crew at the Fairmont shop. Then I had some friends/family weigh in saying that the size is similar to what I have currently and maybe the X is better. On a day to day basis with two young girls, I'm not really in the need for more space but the extra room would be nice particularly for trips and as they get bigger. I then thought just to add the roof-rack for the Y to accommodate those road trips etc but now am just feeling uncertain.

So then I started exploring the Model X Long Range, 6 seater config with the 22" staggered Turbine wheelset. I've driven one in the past but not recently so would need to go for another test-drive. Maybe back to back with Y as well. The X now feels like the better choice, more room, more luxurious with some neat options and automation but one issue is that it's a substantial premium to the MYP (~$50k).

WWBD?

My Ride
    95B

Quote Originally Posted by kJUMP View Post
    Thinking ahead to Q1/Q2 2024, I had pretty much decided on the Model Y Performance. I had gone for a test drive and had been chatting with the crew at the Fairmont shop. Then I had some friends/family weigh in saying that the size is similar to what I have currently and maybe the X is better. On a day to day basis with two young girls, I'm not really in the need for more space but the extra room would be nice particularly for trips and as they get bigger. I then thought just to add the roof-rack for the Y to accommodate those road trips etc but now am just feeling uncertain.

So then I started exploring the Model X Long Range, 6 seater config with the 22" staggered Turbine wheelset. I've driven one in the past but not recently so would need to go for another test-drive. Maybe back to back with Y as well. The X now feels like the better choice, more room, more luxurious with some neat options and automation but one issue is that it's a substantial premium to the MYP (~$50k).

WWBD?
    If I remember correctly you currently have a Macan GTS correct?
    Why not go for the Macan EV?
    I know that is not what you asked

My Ride
    2018 Tesla P3D

WWBD?
    Personally, I find the X not much bigger than a Y. Better creature comforts, bigger 3rd row seats (if optioned), and cooler doors...sure. Interior storage capacity...minimal. Watch any YT video comparing the two cars' interiors and you'll agree. The wife has an X, I have a 3. Whenever we go on roadtrips, we take the 3 c/w a cargo box up top. I find that with the box, I get nearly 95% of the storage capacity as the X anyway. The 3 also charges faster and is just generally more fun to drive. The charging speed concern wouldn't apply on any new S/Xs though as they charge at the same speeds as the 3/Ys. The Y being a hatch and just generally taller, is noticeably bigger inside than my 3. Throw a box on a Y and guaranteed it'll have more storage than an X. Remember, the X's falconwing doors means nothing on the roof. Seasuckers on the tailgate possibly?

A major gripe I have about either the X or a Y's storage space are their sloped hatches. You can't put anything tall in there even if their trunks appear deep. Yeah, yeah, aerodynamics, range, styling... In her old Q5, I could fit 4 wheels (tires and rims) upright side by side and still close the hatch. Can't do that with a sloped hatch. If we didn't have the 3rd row seats that folded into the trunk, perhaps I could stand the wheels up, but I guess that's just the price you pay to be able to transport the grandparents around with our kids in the car too.

Anyway, your call on a Y vs X. The ~$50k isn't going to gain you as much interior space as you think. Just whether or not you think the premium is worth it for the lux and bigger 3rd row seats. Oh, and the doors... Yes, the wife and kids played a huge decision with that one.

Get 6 months of free supercharging & FSD trial when you buy a new Tesla: https://ts.la/simon82305
    Free test drives for actual interested parties! We own both a Model 3 Performance and a Model X 90D.

Quote Originally Posted by LilDrunkenSmurf View Post
    That's weird. Swapping to TD dropped my home insurance an insane amount.
    Swapping to Allstate dropped me something like $3K and could insure the mtb's in that same savings. Gotta shop it, no loyalty discounts anymore.

My Ride
    Macan GTS

Quote Originally Posted by ganesh View Post
    If I remember correctly you currently have a Macan GTS correct?
    Why not go for the Macan EV?
    I know that is not what you asked
    Yup still got the Macan GTS. Did you ever end up getting one? If no, you wanna buy mine
    The renders of the Macan EV look nice, but doubtful it will be available for purchase before 2025...

Quote Originally Posted by mo_money2supe View Post
    Personally, I find the X not much bigger than a Y. Better creature comforts, bigger 3rd row seats (if optioned), and cooler doors...sure. Interior storage capacity...minimal. Watch any YT video comparing the two cars' interiors and you'll agree. The wife has an X, I have a 3. Whenever we go on roadtrips, we take the 3 c/w a cargo box up top. I find that with the box, I get nearly 95% of the storage capacity as the X anyway. The 3 also charges faster and is just generally more fun to drive. The charging speed concern wouldn't apply on any new S/Xs though as they charge at the same speeds as the 3/Ys. The Y being a hatch and just generally taller, is noticeably bigger inside than my 3. Throw a box on a Y and guaranteed it'll have more storage than an X. Remember, the X's falconwing doors means nothing on the roof. Seasuckers on the tailgate possibly?

A major gripe I have about either the X or a Y's storage space are their sloped hatches. You can't put anything tall in there even if their trunks appear deep. Yeah, yeah, aerodynamics, range, styling... In her old Q5, I could fit 4 wheels (tires and rims) upright side by side and still close the hatch. Can't do that with a sloped hatch. If we didn't have the 3rd row seats that folded into the trunk, perhaps I could stand the wheels up, but I guess that's just the price you pay to be able to transport the grandparents around with our kids in the car too.

Anyway, your call on a Y vs X. The ~$50k isn't going to gain you as much interior space as you think. Just whether or not you think the premium is worth it for the lux and bigger 3rd row seats. Oh, and the doors... Yes, the wife and kids played a huge decision with that one.
    Good read on the X vs Y... thanks. Agreed, the sloped hatches can be an annoyance; I have similar frustrations not infrequently. Really I will need to go do a comparative space review in person to figure things out. One additional downside I now see with the rooftop box on the Y is the dealing with the "inconvenience/extra effort" when mounting and loading. Versus if I opted for the 6 seat arrangement on the X and then dropped down the rear bench which becomes flush with the floor? Also, the roof-rack rails on the Y only appear to go horizontally across as opposed to along the long axis, unless it can be configured differently?

My Ride
    95B

Yup still got the Macan GTS. Did you ever end up getting one? If no, you wanna buy mine
    The renders of the Macan EV look nice, but doubtful it will be available for purchase before 2025...
    I did ended up getting one. Have a Miami Blue GTS.
    No more renders. This is a long video but it also shows some interior with almost no camouflage.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDT_RRdjYVQ

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

They are going to sell a shitload of those Macan EVs. Don't show my wife.

My Ride
    95B

Quote Originally Posted by npham View Post
    They are going to sell a shitload of those Macan EVs. Don't show my wife.
    I agree. They again have a grand slam
    With VW adopting to NACS standard the charging concerns will be minimized.

My Ride
    Macan GTS

Quote Originally Posted by ganesh View Post
    I did ended up getting one. Have a Miami Blue GTS.
    No more renders. This is a long video but it also shows some interior with almost no camouflage.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDT_RRdjYVQ
    Congrats man, Miami Blue is a beautiful colour. Hope you're enjoying the ride!

Agree the Macan EV prototype looks incredible. I just can't see it being available for purchase pre-2025, and knowing Porsche Calgary, probably 2026.

Page 68 of 69 FirstFirst ... 58 67 68 69 LastLast