Quantcast
Psilocybin Mushrooms - The next big breakthrough? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 105

Thread: Psilocybin Mushrooms - The next big breakthrough?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Pt Cruiser
    Posts
    872
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Psilocybin Mushrooms - The next big breakthrough?

    Over the last year or so I have gained a keen interest in pyslicibin mushrooms and the positive impacts they can have on various disorders, conditions and overall well being.

    In the last couple of years there has been some good research/studies and findings from various institutions including John Hopkins.

    https://hopkinspsychedelic.org/publications

    https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/0279107

    https://www.theguardian.com/science/...ealth-medicine

    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/h...-a8929796.html

    There are already Psilocybin mushroom retreats in the Netherlands where they are legal that have very positive reviews and I can see these becoming something in Canada over the next several years.


    Figured it might be an interesting discussion. Cheers.
    Last edited by BavarianBeast; 10-15-2019 at 09:27 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    19 C117, 60 Valiant, 09 JK, 07 Rabbit
    Posts
    743
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Funny but there is a school of thought that mushrooms floated into the earths atmosphere on the tail of a comet (mushroom spores are able to survive in a vacuum and are extremely hard shelled and are able to reflect UV light) and are responsible for providing primitive man (through ingestion-either orally or by breathing in the spores) with modern intelligence and self awareness.
    Mushrooms breathe oxygen and exhale Co2 and contain no chlorophyll like other plants. In fact they are more closely related to animal life (arthropods) than plants.
    They really are magic mushrooms!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Axis powers
    Posts
    2,405
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    There's a subreddit called microdosing that has some interesting results
    Sig nuked by mod.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    C
    My Ride
    Lexus
    Posts
    2,667
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ianmcc View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Funny but there is a school of thought that mushrooms floated into the earths atmosphere on the tail of a comet (mushroom spores are able to survive in a vacuum and are extremely hard shelled and are able to reflect UV light) and are responsible for providing primitive man (through ingestion-either orally or by breathing in the spores) with modern intelligence and self awareness.
    Mushrooms breathe oxygen and exhale Co2 and contain no chlorophyll like other plants. In fact they are more closely related to animal life (arthropods) than plants.
    They really are magic mushrooms!
    Further to this, the stoned ape theory posits that some early hominids found some mushrooms and that kicked off their evolution into modern humans at an accelerated rate.
    The largest known land organism is a mushroom called armillaria.
    Mushrooms are being studied as a permanent cure for PTSD.
    Doing mushrooms just once causes permanent (positive) effects in brain chemistry and contributes to ego death and improved mental health.
    Whoa dude!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Fiesta ST
    Posts
    924
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Over the last year or so I have gained a keen interest in pyslicibin mushrooms and the positive impacts they can have on various disorders, conditions and overall well being.

    In the last couple of years there has been some good research/studies and findings from various institutions including John Hopkins.

    https://hopkinspsychedelic.org/publications

    https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/0279107

    https://www.theguardian.com/science/...ealth-medicine

    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/h...-a8929796.html

    There are already Psilocybin mushroom retreats in the Netherlands where they are legal that have very positive reviews and I can see these becoming something in Canada over the next several years.


    I really want to get involved with the cultivation, research and sale of this medicine. I know it is currently considered a schedule 1 drug, but there are many MoMs operating online that have not been shit down by the government. Would there be a legal way to become involved with this drug before a motion for legalizations becomes? I see a major opportunity here. Cheers.
    There’s a medicinal shroom dispensary operating in Vancouver. Technically still illegal but being Vancouver the cops have more concern with opioids. Should check into that
    Nolan

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Calgmonton/AB
    Posts
    637
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Well it's been about 363 days of some other chemical that radically alters one's perception and state being completely legal and readily available.
    Shouldn't about 20% of society's problems be fixed by now? If not, then when? We've all been hearing people for decades say that legalized cannabis is "medicine" and the answer to ______ problems. Well, here we are after 12 solid months of it. Where's the radical increase in social health and what new bridge/structure/monument/art have we built with the billions of new tax dollars collected?

    I'm not coming from a vehement War On Drugs stance but I just think it's a reach to laude hallucinogens, depressants or stimulants as doing much more than helping people to get fucked up to fill a void somewhere else in their life. I feel like if alcohol was illegal, there would be this giant culture of people demanding its legalization and singing the praises of its medicinal and environmentally sustainable properties.
    I think we have the experience to say they'd be wrong.

    So, what is it about humans that makes us SO tempted to hear & accept positive things about drugs?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    calgary
    My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3
    Posts
    4,215
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    What I understand is that some of these drugs, that make you feel a sense of being a part of a larger consciousness group, can have a profound positive effect on many.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Calgmonton/AB
    Posts
    637
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What I understand is that some of these drugs, that make you feel a sense of being a part of a larger consciousness group, can have a profound positive effect on many.
    I see how it can be seen as positive - but - look at how many of those people get pulled into that alleged larger consciousness and completely believe that now they've "seen the light" and understand "what's really goin on, Man"? Then they go shopping for robes, hair dye, man buns, incense, sunglasses that don't fit and sandals to help occupy their time because they certainly quit their job.
    Just because a set of hallucinogens consistently alter brain chemistry in such a way that yielded symptoms of third eye and altered time states etc (insert Joe Rogan talking to that Alex nut job or whoever else) etc doesn't make them reality. They are quite specifically NOT reality and somehow all these poor folks get pulled into believing that their non-drugged life is a lie and "Teh Realz Trooth" is shown to them when they're high.
    That sounds really really bad.

    Although...
    If you were an inanimate potato in the first place, maybe that's an improvement!
    Who knows!!? LoL!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duplex city
    My Ride
    Phanbus
    Posts
    7,412
    Rep Power
    36

    Default

    Apparently you can just buy a kit right off teh intarwebz : http://www.magicmushroomkit.ca/
    Make the world a radder place, grow a mullet.
    Public Mobile is the best, just like Phil Collins' mullet.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 1987
    Location
    SK
    My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)
    Posts
    3,004
    Rep Power
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They are quite specifically NOT reality and somehow all these poor folks get pulled into believing that their non-drugged life is a lie and "Teh Realz Trooth" is shown to them when they're high.
    !
    By what objective measure can you state that it's not reality, it's another perception of it just like the one we already have. I don't know anyone who has undertaken a regimented therapeutic use of mushrooms or lsd who believes their "non-drugged" life is a lie. I know several though who live/perceive their life differently now and who have a much greater level of personal happiness (all of whom still hold down jobs and would be considered regular people not crazy hippies). I wouldn't be so quick to discount such things personally.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duplex city
    My Ride
    Phanbus
    Posts
    7,412
    Rep Power
    36

    Default

    I think assuming weed and shrooms have the same effect on someone's perception of the "rest" of thier life is a big leap.
    Make the world a radder place, grow a mullet.
    Public Mobile is the best, just like Phil Collins' mullet.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Silverado
    Posts
    2,532
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I see how it can be seen as positive - but - look at how many of those people get pulled into that alleged larger consciousness and completely believe that now they've "seen the light" and understand "what's really goin on, Man"? Then they go shopping for robes, hair dye, man buns, incense, sunglasses that don't fit and sandals to help occupy their time because they certainly quit their job.
    Just because a set of hallucinogens consistently alter brain chemistry in such a way that yielded symptoms of third eye and altered time states etc (insert Joe Rogan talking to that Alex nut job or whoever else) etc doesn't make them reality. They are quite specifically NOT reality and somehow all these poor folks get pulled into believing that their non-drugged life is a lie and "Teh Realz Trooth" is shown to them when they're high.
    That sounds really really bad.

    Although...
    If you were an inanimate potato in the first place, maybe that's an improvement!
    Who knows!!? LoL!
    this guy has never taken mushrooms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gestalt View Post
    Im the one with a learning disability....

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Pt Cruiser
    Posts
    872
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    I find the stoned ape theory to be interesting. I don’t quite buy it, but I could certainly see why it could be hypothetical.

    This excerpt from The Journal of Psychopharmacolog is quite intriguing - “Consistent with participant claims of hallucinogen-occasioned increases in aesthetic appreciation, imagination, and creativity, we found significant increases in Openness following a high-dose psilocybin session. In participants who had mystical experiences during their psilocybin session, Openness remained significantly higher than baseline more than 1 year after the session. The findings suggest a specific role for psilocybin and mystical-type experiences in adult personality change.”

    Would be interesting to see if it would have an effect on somebody with a personality disorder such as narcissism.

    https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs...urnalCode=jopa

    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Apparently you can just buy a kit right off teh intarwebz : http://www.magicmushroomkit.ca/
    That kit is no good. If people are interested in cultivating them the best method is to do PF-TEK and buy spores https://www.spores101.co/Golden-Teacher-_p_28.html. Or at least that’s what my research suggests.

    Dana Larsen, the guy in Vancouver started in 2018 and is still selling micro doses for absurd money. His company is called The Medicinal Mushroom Dispensary.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Calgmonton/AB
    Posts
    637
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think assuming weed and shrooms have the same effect on someone's perception of the "rest" of thier life is a big leap.
    I'm definitely not saying it's the same effect. I'm trying to say that the whole "let's find a drug that can seem to fix problems by altering perceptions of reality and call it the new #CureAll" is not the ideal path.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Pt Cruiser
    Posts
    872
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    What’s the point of participating in a discussion if your not willing to learn anything?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Calgmonton/AB
    Posts
    637
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    By what objective measure can you state that it's not reality, it's another perception of it just like the one we already have. I don't know anyone who has undertaken a regimented therapeutic use of mushrooms or lsd who believes their "non-drugged" life is a lie. I know several though who live/perceive their life differently now and who have a much greater level of personal happiness (all of whom still hold down jobs and would be considered regular people not crazy hippies). I wouldn't be so quick to discount such things personally.
    Yes, and I'm not saying job loss and Birkenstocks come out 100% of the time. But it sure as fuck is a number a lot bigger than zero. I still see pot-heads I went to high school with who burn through an insane amount of weed, every day... In their mom's basement.

    Overall, my view is that adding more chemical options to the mix MAY cause more harm than good, and is almost always about treating symptoms rather than treating the disease.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Calgmonton/AB
    Posts
    637
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What’s the point of participating in a discussion if your not willing to learn anything?
    Well, it's not really a "discussion" if you only want the pro side without any cons, but fine. I think I'll leave. I don't really want to devote much time to this subject, I suppose.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 1987
    Location
    SK
    My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)
    Posts
    3,004
    Rep Power
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, and I'm not saying job loss and Birkenstocks come out 100% of the time. But it sure as fuck is a number a lot bigger than zero. I still see pot-heads I went to high school with who burn through an insane amount of weed, every day... In their mom's basement.

    Overall, my view is that adding more chemical options to the mix MAY cause more harm than good, and is almost always about treating symptoms rather than treating the disease.
    Again though, you're classifying an entirely different thing with weed. I disagree with your assertion that you are treating symptoms as opposed to disease as these elements (when used properly and with purpose) can rewire your brain, your perception of self/your environment and bring cessation to many symptoms of depression, anxiety, and other psychological conditions. All with far less side effects than the myriad of benzos, etc. that are so loosely prescribed as a bandaid. NOTHING is a 100% all out miracle "cure" but there is considerable potential in these things.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Pt Cruiser
    Posts
    872
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    I’d love to hear about the con side if you have any research backing your claims.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Fiesta ST
    Posts
    924
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm definitely not saying it's the same effect. I'm trying to say that the whole "let's find a drug that can seem to fix problems by altering perceptions of reality and call it the new #CureAll" is not the ideal path.
    There’s no one stop cure all. But if a small dose and a therapy session helps someone overcome their addiction or ptsd is it not worth it? Heck even if it only helps them for a month isn’t that still worth exploring the research?

    Alcohol and tobacco are legal despite having significant negative health effects. Mushrooms are likely no worse than those. And of course there are side effects, every medication on earth has some. In particular psychosis and hppd are real things, but again maybe it could help someone that can’t try other therapy routes.

    Also just because some stupid stoners preach that weed cures cancer like idiots doesn’t discount that it can be beneficial for some individuals even though some will abuse it. That’s just life
    Nolan

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. My Psilocybe (magic mushrooms) curiousity

    By Kona9 in forum General
    Replies: 185
    Latest Threads: 04-27-2014, 02:08 PM
  2. Dutch ban on "magic" mushrooms to take effect

    By TACO.VIDAL in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 17
    Latest Threads: 12-02-2008, 09:19 AM
  3. Takara Foot Patch - Medical Breakthrough?

    By koopkoop2 in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 20
    Latest Threads: 11-04-2008, 10:36 AM
  4. Medal of Honor: Breakthrough

    By DJ Lazy in forum Computers, Consoles, and other Electronics
    Replies: 4
    Latest Threads: 11-10-2003, 05:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •