Quantcast
Choosing a Car to Buy in Europe (Spain) - HELP! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Choosing a Car to Buy in Europe (Spain) - HELP!

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Default Choosing a Car to Buy in Europe (Spain) - HELP!

After a decade of living and traveling around the world without a car, it's finally time to buy one here in Spain. A lot has changed over the last 10 years in the car world since I knew my stuff, and even moreso when looking at European models.

Wants:
    1. Wagon / Estate / Touring type car. The vehicle will generally only be used on weekends for trips to the beach / mountains so we want something we can sleep in the back of on occasion (as well as haul bikes, skis, surfboards, etc.)
    2. Economical. Fuel is over $2 CAD per liter here so fuel economy is very important, particularly since we'll be doing a lot of mileage to the mountains (400km+ RT). I'm used to driving petrol cars but it seems to make sense to go diesel here.
    3. Low Emission. I want to reduce my carbon footprint and Europe is taxing the crap out of emissions so keeping CO2 <120g/km would be best.
    4. Reliable. I don't have tools/space to do my own repair work and dealing with Spanish mechanics can't be fun.
    5. Under 15,000 Euros ($22,000 CAD). Since it's not a daily driver I think that's an adequate budget for something 2014+ with <100k kms.

Although the above is all pretty boring and practical, I'd still like something that's not completely gutless and at least a little fun to drive. Unfortunately, most vehicles over here seem to go with the most economical engines so it's not easy to find something with a bit of pep without paying through the arse.

Based on what I've looked at so far, the VW Passat Variant or BMW 318d Touring seem like good options. The VW Golf Variant and Civic Tourer also look okay, though for the little bit of savings I'm not sure they're worth it. I also looked at the Volvo V60, Skoda Octavia, and Audi A4 Avant but the above listed options seem to get better reviews.

For an idea of listings and prices, I've found the below in the area:

2014 VW Passat Variant 1.6TDI Advance (120hp), 60k kms, 14,000 Euros, claimed 3.7l/100kms highway.
    2015 VW Passat Variant 2.0 TDI Edition BMT (150hp), 77k kms, 14,200 Euros, claimed 3.7l/100kms highway.
    2016 VW Passat Variant 1.6 TDI BlueMotion (121 hp), 90k kms, 14,000 Euros

2015 BMW 318d Touring (143 hp), 98k kms, 14,650 Euros, claimed 3.9L/100kms highway.
    2016 BMW 318d Touring (150 hp), 75k kms, 15,000 Euros, claimed 4L/100kms highway.

2015 Honda Civic Tourer 1.6 i-Dtec Elegance (120hp), 110k kms, 11,700 Euros, claimed 3.7L/100kms
    2017 Honda Civic Tourer 1.6 i-DTEC Lifestyle Navi (120hp), 72k kms, 15,000 Euros, claimed 3.7L/100kms highway.

2016 VW Golf Variant (150 hp), 87k kms, 15,000 Euros, claimed 3.8L/100kms.
    2016 VW Golf Variant 1.6 TDI CR BMT Business DSG (110 hp), 64k kms, 14,300 Euros, claimed 3.7L/100kms

Thoughts, suggestions, recommendations?

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by davidI View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    After a decade of living and traveling around the world without a car, it's finally time to buy one here in Spain. A lot has changed over the last 10 years in the car world since I knew my stuff, and even moreso when looking at European models.

Wants:
    1. Wagon / Estate / Touring type car. The vehicle will generally only be used on weekends for trips to the beach / mountains so we want something we can sleep in the back of on occasion (as well as haul bikes, skis, surfboards, etc.)
    2. Economical. Fuel is over $2 CAD per liter here so fuel economy is very important, particularly since we'll be doing a lot of mileage to the mountains (400km+ RT). I'm used to driving petrol cars but it seems to make sense to go diesel here.
    3. Low Emission. I want to reduce my carbon footprint and Europe is taxing the crap out of emissions so keeping CO2 <120g/km would be best.
    4. Reliable. I don't have tools/space to do my own repair work and dealing with Spanish mechanics can't be fun.
    5. Under 15,000 Euros ($22,000 CAD). Since it's not a daily driver I think that's an adequate budget for something 2014+ with <100k kms.

Although the above is all pretty boring and practical, I'd still like something that's not completely gutless and at least a little fun to drive. Unfortunately, most vehicles over here seem to go with the most economical engines so it's not easy to find something with a bit of pep without paying through the arse.

Based on what I've looked at so far, the VW Passat Variant or BMW 318d Touring seem like good options. The VW Golf Variant and Civic Tourer also look okay, though for the little bit of savings I'm not sure they're worth it. I also looked at the Volvo V60, Skoda Octavia, and Audi A4 Avant but the above listed options seem to get better reviews.

For an idea of listings and prices, I've found the below in the area:

2014 VW Passat Variant 1.6TDI Advance (120hp), 60k kms, 14,000 Euros, claimed 3.7l/100kms highway.
    2015 VW Passat Variant 2.0 TDI Edition BMT (150hp), 77k kms, 14,200 Euros, claimed 3.7l/100kms highway.
    2016 VW Passat Variant 1.6 TDI BlueMotion (121 hp), 90k kms, 14,000 Euros

2015 BMW 318d Touring (143 hp), 98k kms, 14,650 Euros, claimed 3.9L/100kms highway.
    2016 BMW 318d Touring (150 hp), 75k kms, 15,000 Euros, claimed 4L/100kms highway.

2015 Honda Civic Tourer 1.6 i-Dtec Elegance (120hp), 110k kms, 11,700 Euros, claimed 3.7L/100kms
    2017 Honda Civic Tourer 1.6 i-DTEC Lifestyle Navi (120hp), 72k kms, 15,000 Euros, claimed 3.7L/100kms highway.

2016 VW Golf Variant (150 hp), 87k kms, 15,000 Euros, claimed 3.8L/100kms.
    2016 VW Golf Variant 1.6 TDI CR BMT Business DSG (110 hp), 64k kms, 14,300 Euros, claimed 3.7L/100kms

Thoughts, suggestions, recommendations?
    Point #1 says you want something you can occasionally sleep in the back of, but your list is Civic, Passat, 318d, or Golf.
    You lost me. Could even one person sleep in the back of any of those?

Aren't you also looking for a unicorn by saying "estate car" with excellent fuel economy and/or low emissions?

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Point #1 says you want something you can occasionally sleep in the back of, but your list is Civic, Passat, 318d, or Golf.
    You lost me. Could even one person sleep in the back of any of those?

Aren't you also looking for a unicorn by saying "estate car" with excellent fuel economy and/or low emissions?
    All of the above cars come in Estate/Touring configurations as they call them in the UK/Europe. As I listed, it's the same as a "Wagon" in typical North American nomenclature. The models I listed all have claimed highway mileage of <4L/100km (58+ mpg) so it's not really a unicorn in Europe since everything is built for economy (though vans/SUVs still struggle for obvious reasons which is why we're looking at Estate/Touring configurations).

For an idea of the cargo configuration with seats down:

VW Passat Variant/Estate:
    Name:  dsc_0123_0.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  97.0 KB

BMW 318d Touring/Estate
    Name:  2014-BMW-3-Series-wagon-cargo-area-768x512.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  55.8 KB

Civic Tourer
    Name:  Honda-Civic-Tourer-Review-Boot-Seats-Folded-carwitter-491x326.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  50.1 KB

Golf Variant/Estate
    Name:  golf-gtd-estate-13.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  101.2 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My Ride
    *The First*

Oh, My bad. I'm pretty sure I know fuck all about these cars, so I'll show myself out.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Get something not available in north America to make me ExtraJealous.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Personally for Spain roads / cities I wouldn’t go any bigger than a golf. Passat wagon is pretty long which makes it a PIA to park, I have a cousin in Valencia with one and they typically had to drive around for blocks trying to find a spot they could get in and out of.

BMW 1 series hatch also a good option.

Just my $0.02
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Get something not available in north America to make me ExtraJealous.
    I looked at Renault, SEAT, Peugeot, Opel, etc. but am not convinced on their build quality / reliability.

Personally for Spain roads / cities I wouldn’t go any bigger than a golf. Passat wagon is pretty long which makes it a PIA to park, I have a cousin in Valencia with one and they typically had to drive around for blocks trying to find a spot they could get in and out of.

BMW 1 series hatch also a good option.

Just my $0.02
    As mentioned in my post "The vehicle will generally only be used on weekends for trips to the beach / mountains so we want something we can sleep in the back of on occasion (as well as haul bikes, skis, surfboards, etc.)".

Parking in the city is not really a concern since we have underground parking at our apartment and typically walk/cycle around town because parking is a PITA regardless of vehicle length.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

FWIW SEAT and VW are the same company making the same cars
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

FWIW SEAT and VW are the same company making the same cars
    It's the same company but they're not the same cars. A Seat Leon, VW Golf, and Audi A3 may all share the same platform and have similar engine choices, but they're certainly not the same cars.

My Ride
    LNF

What about Skoda? Which is basically a cheaper VW. I think they make an estate model.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Quote Originally Posted by mzdspd View Post
    What about Skoda? Which is basically a cheaper VW. I think they make an estate model.
    Yea, I looked at the Skoda Octavia. Seems like a much cheaper build quality but not that much cheaper in price based on what I've read.

For example, a 2014 Skoda Octavia with the 1.6 TDI (110hp) with 110k kms is still 10,550 Euros. A 2014 Skoda Octavia with the larger 2.0 TDI (150hp) with 78k kms is 13,800 Euros. I'm not really against them but for 1-2k Euros more it seems like the Passat or Bimmer would be a much nicer ride.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

It depends on what is the highest priority in that list and how long you intend to keep the vehicle.

You will have to compromise somewhere.
    If you are doing a lot of travelling, biking and camping. I would actually recommend the Renault Espace. Its great on fuel, lots of power and shit ton of space.
    I hired one in the 2000s' when family came over to visit from Canada. It was perfect.

SEATs and Skoda are basically VW's underneath. But each have their strengths and weaknesses. If you want drive. Get the SEAT Leon Cupra.. It wont give you the space, but its really fun to drive. The Skoda is more of a cheaper family vehicle. VW on a budget you could say.

If you go down the Volvo or BMW route, you will get the drive. But you are missing out on the space. The BMW are not cheap to service. Especially if your only using it on weekends.
    If you are considering BMW, I would not rule out a Merc.

Opel/ Vauxhal. They are very reliable, good family vehicles. I put them in a same class as Skoda. But not fun to drive.

I'l throw a wildcard here. Get a Ford. They are way better built there, specs are better and are pretty fun to drive. Reliable, cheap to fix and you can pickup one at a good price. I'd put them as the same class as VW, but cheaper.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    SEATs and Skoda are basically VW's underneath. But each have their strengths and weaknesses. If you want drive. Get the SEAT Leon Cupra.. It wont give you the space, but its really fun to drive. The Skoda is more of a cheaper family vehicle. VW on a budget you could say.
    Just got back and I notice SEATs dominates the roads and I guess that they have more support options and quicker turnaround on fixes.

And if you want bang of $ on mileage, can't beat diesel which is same price as gas.

Not going to lie, Valencia is looking pretty good as an early retirement spot. Gotta brush up on my Spanish.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 10-16-2019 at 10:14 AM.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Just got back and I notice SEATs dominates the roads
    SEAT literally stands for Sociedad Española de Automóviles de Turismo and used to be a government national company until it was sold to VW. I'm not sure how the prices in Spain compare to the rest of Europe but they're definitely on the cheaper end which suits Spanish budgets given the low salaries in this country.

Valencia is a cool city for sure. I'm hoping to start my early-retirement in Spain in 2020 if all goes to plan but want to bank a little more cash first given negative bond yields and inflated equity prices in the markets.