Quantcast
Food vs Genetics - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Food vs Genetics

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Well, it's easy to eat an extra 1000 calories and it's much harder to burn that same amount, but you are right that for a variety of reasons, some people have immense difficulty in lowering thier caloric intake.

Others find it less of a struggle. But the effectiveness of lowering your caloric intake for weight loss is pretty widely agreed upon.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-23-2020 at 04:40 PM.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Quote Originally Posted by 01RedDX View Post
    Sure but say you take two healthy people of equal size, who consume an equal amount of calories and do an equal amount of exercise each day.

If one consumes 2000 cal exclusively from sugar and one consumes 2000 cal from a balanced diet, I don't believe they'll have an equal outcome.

So maybe it's good that the ratio is so lopsided because we need to emphasize not just the amount but also the type of food we eat.
    In your above scenario, are you measuring body comp or weight as the intended outcome?

My Ride
    Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by 01RedDX View Post
    Sure but say you take two healthy people of equal size, who consume an equal amount of calories and do an equal amount of exercise each day.

If one consumes 2000 cal exclusively from sugar and one consumes 2000 cal from a balanced diet, I don't believe they'll have an equal outcome.

So maybe it's good that the ratio is so lopsided because we need to emphasize not just the amount but also the type of food we eat.
    Anything other than sugar and starch uses calories to digest. Protein uses the most energy to break down and results in the least net energy after absorbed.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Calling @scboss and @heavyfuel

I don't know much about this kinda stuff but always cool to learn new things.

I've been seeing ads about that documentary on plant-based diets and how pro athletes have been adopting it. Has anyone seen it? Thoughts?

All I know is that nutrition and diet is about sustainability and moderation. And then you supplement diet to accelerate those gains and that working out is different from bodybuilding.

My Ride
    TypeR

Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post

I've been seeing ads about that documentary on plant-based diets and how pro athletes have been adopting it. Has anyone seen it? Thoughts?

All I know is that nutrition and diet is about sustainability and moderation. And then you supplement diet to accelerate those gains and that working out is different from bodybuilding.

The issue I have is they are showing it from one point of view. The athletes shown are doing well and manage it but its nullified because the top athletes are eating meat lol.

From all my experience with vegans the biggest issue is it is very hard not to get fat as hell without supplementing your protein intake. Every client that ive ever trained that is vegan or tried vegan is either overweight or when they start they blow up. But this can be prevented if you are really strict with your macros. This will be the biggest challenge.

For the most part you are missing out on tons of micro nutrients without supplementing. I will never agree it is better for peak performance and recovery. But you can definitely sustain without supplements especially if you dont workout or do anything active. If you dont mind supplementing like crazy being vegan is gonna be very similar to eating meat.
    IG:scboss

Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post

That documentary, and any of the Vegan propaganda, always tries to make a broad jump in logic. Plants are good for you, so eating ONLY plants is better for you. Which is just complete fallacy. Plants have benefits, but so does meat and animal products. Humans are Omnivores and evolved to utilize both sources.

Some of these top athletes that are supposedly doing the Vegan thing, are genetic freaks that would thrive no matter what they ate. They aren't a good representation of the general public.

Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    In your above scenario, are you measuring body comp or weight as the intended outcome?
    He didn't mention an intended outcome. He said the outcome would be different, which is correct. All calories are not created equal. That's why CICO is such an inefficient way to diet. By all means if you starve yourself, you will lose weight, that part is not rocket science. But as I've mentioned before, people generally don't have a goal to lose weight even though that is what they call it, their goal is to lose fat.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

If one is referring to Japanese CULTURE, then you also have to consider their society (and in Europe + many other places) still has a huge fat stigma. This means they will walk/bike everywhere out of necessity and to stay in shape out of want.

So, to sum up - the factors leading to a non'fat' society:

- culture stigma (ie. dont be fat)
    - active lifestyle (eg. bike everywhere)
    - readily available healthy food types
    - genetics
    - societal 'stress' level (more stressed out are less likely to eat healthy)

Probably some i've missed.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    If one is referring to Japanese CULTURE, then you also have to consider their society (and in Europe + many other places) still has a huge fat stigma. This means they will walk/bike everywhere out of necessity and to stay in shape out of want.

It's interesting because in other parts of the world, the fat stigma is strong enough to motivate people for the most part.
    In North America, fat stigma seems to have more of an opposite effect.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    It's interesting because in other parts of the world, the fat stigma is strong enough to motivate people for the most part.
    In North America, fat stigma seems to have more of an opposite effect.
    Its the same with SUVs - in pretty much the rest of the world they are seen the same way as 'fat' people.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

- active lifestyle (eg. bike everywhere)
    - readily available healthy food types
    - genetics
    - societal 'stress' level (more stressed out are less likely to eat healthy)

Probably some i've missed.
    If anyone watches Patriot Act on Netflix the last episode of Season 5 (Dec 23rd) actually had some interesting info on how the US is actually affecting the healthiness of other countries by pushing their food exports, particularly ones loaded with high fructose corn syrup.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    If anyone watches Patriot Act on Netflix the last episode of Season 5 (Dec 23rd) actually had some interesting info on how the US is actually affecting the healthiness of other countries by pushing their food exports, particularly ones loaded with high fructose corn syrup.
    Yea garbage like McD and other such franchises (coke, pepsi) are great at exporting fat people producing products.

The corn syrup (and many other sugary) drinks should be labelled as "THIS WILL MAKE YOU FAT" warning label.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Yea garbage like McD and other such franchises (coke, pepsi) are great at exporting fat people producing products.

The corn syrup (and many other sugary) drinks should be labelled as "THIS WILL MAKE YOU FAT" warning label.
    I wish nutrition labels had some sort of standardized system with regards to serving sizes. Like having 140gram packaging but then saying it's only 180 calories per 32 gram portion is such BS.

My Ride
    NC1

Find something sustainable. Having to constantly watch what you eat is no fun.

You should know your body best and unfortunately most ppl don’t put in the work to figure out their diet and fitness.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Ford F150

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    I wish nutrition labels had some sort of standardized system with regards to serving sizes. Like having 140gram packaging but then saying it's only 180 calories per 32 gram portion is such BS.
    Costco has these dry soup packets in a bulk box of course (potato cheddar I think). One packet could probably feed two people. Nutrition label: "Per 1/16 of a packet".
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3