Quantcast
Food vs Genetics - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Food vs Genetics

Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Former-friend of mine ate healthy (we lived together, I saw what he ate), did cardio, etc. Also took prednisone and something else. We went on a hardcore diet/workout regimen at the same time (my fat ass got dumped). He lost 8lbs in like 6 months; I lost 63.

For perspective, he and I ate/worked out similarily, etc. He was always 50+ lbs heavier than me, regardless of what we did.
    Interesting. He's still losing weight though (albeit slowly), assuming I'm understanding you correctly, so if he kept that up there would theoretically be a point where he reached a healthy weight.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Maybe. He plateaued pretty hard though. Not sure if it would hav eturned around.

My Ride
    VAG products

Former-friend of mine ate healthy (we lived together, I saw what he ate), did cardio, etc. Also took prednisone and something else. We went on a hardcore diet/workout regimen at the same time (my fat ass got dumped). He lost 8lbs in like 6 months; I lost 63.

For perspective, he and I ate/worked out similarily, etc. He was always 50+ lbs heavier than me, regardless of what we did.
    I know a few people who have taken prednisone for health issues and it has caused them to gain a lot of extra weight and very hard to lose weight, but once off of it, with some effort the weight came off. That could have played a role in the variance between you both.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by pf0sh0 View Post
    I know a few people who have taken prednisone for health issues and it has caused them to gain a lot of extra weight and very hard to lose weight, but once off of it, with some effort the weight came off. That could have played a role in the variance between you both.
    Undoubtedly, and that was the point I was illustrating per my comment earlier in this thread

My Ride
    VAG products

Undoubtedly, and that was the point I was illustrating per my comment earlier in this thread
    Welp, it is a good thing I skim through and barely read anything lol

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

And so here you are saying #FuckFatAcceptance, even with "He was always 50+ lbs heavier than me, regardless of what we did."

Complaining about someone being fat is the equivalent of complaining about someone being homosexual. Literally has zero effect on you personally.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    I know a lot of people blame their thyroids, which is mostly an excuse, but I don't know of the other conditions that cause healthy people to be fat.
    Yeah, but man, there's an easy solution to that:

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    And so here you are saying #FuckFatAcceptance, even with "He was always 50+ lbs heavier than me, regardless of what we did."

Complaining about someone being fat is the equivalent of complaining about someone being homosexual. Literally has zero effect on you personally.
    1) Who's complaining about people being fat? I'm certainly not and I don't know how you could have taken that message from my posts.

2) As I said earlier in this thread, there are some people that genuinely cannot drop the weight due to medical reasons, including meds... as I illustrated in the post you quoted. In fact, it's almost like emphasizing that earlier point was the entire point of the post you quoted.

3) Fat people running their mouths about medical conditions they don't have is manipulative and dishonest.

4) Being overweight for reasons you can control is not something you should celebrate.

So yea, #fuckfatacceptance.

To be fair, your example showed that that they can in fact still drop weight, just not at the same rate as a 'normal' person. So the notion that there are people who say they can't lose weight at all still seems to be false, though they might have to work harder to get results and I understand that motivation is at least half the battle. Also it sounds like the medication is the issue, not the condition itself (assuming I understood correctly).

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Also it sounds like the medication is the issue, not the condition itself (assuming I understood correctly).
    Yes. I know. Earlier in this thread I called out that medical conditions - including their medications - can cause this. That is one of the points I'm trying to make. I've said that 3 times now (including the post immediately above yours).

Quote Originally Posted by LilDrunkenSmurf View Post
    Genetics can't supersede the laws of thermodynamics. If you eat more than you burn, you store it as fat.
    People really need to stop parroting this crap.

My Ride
    06 S2000

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    People really need to stop parroting this crap.
    I dunno man, it's worked for me for years. Practice what you preach.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    Trucks

Don’t assume that everybody absorbs calories the same. Different people shit different calories due to their genetic dispositions. One person may catch 90% of what comes in, next person may be 70% and react differently to what’s in the food. Eating a 10,000 calorie buffet doesn’t equal converting it to fat.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Darell_n View Post
    Eating a 10,000 calorie buffet doesn’t equal converting it to fat.
    Qualify?

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

1) Who's complaining about people being fat? I'm certainly not and I don't know how you could have taken that message from my posts.

2) As I said earlier in this thread, there are some people that genuinely cannot drop the weight due to medical reasons, including meds... as I illustrated in the post you quoted. In fact, it's almost like emphasizing that earlier point was the entire point of the post you quoted.

3) Fat people running their mouths about medical conditions they don't have is manipulative and dishonest.

4) Being overweight for reasons you can control is not something you should celebrate.

So yea, #fuckfatacceptance.
    Sorry I read #fuckfatacceptance as "nobody is allowed to be anything but buff like me, inclusive of people who cannot drop weight fast due to medications"

Qualify?
    Michael Phelps.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Darell_n View Post
    Don’t assume that everybody absorbs calories the same. Different people shit different calories due to their genetic dispositions. One person may catch 90% of what comes in, next person may be 70% and react differently to what’s in the food. Eating a 10,000 calorie buffet doesn’t equal converting it to fat.
    Calories in minus calories out may not be perfect, but it's the most widely accepted method of achieving weight loss for people who are above their target weight. That's been studied to death and it is more accepted by the scientific community than any other alternative.

Best method to achieve that caloric deficit does vary from person to person based on lifestyle/schedule/social habits etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Trucks

Qualify?
    Maybe for that particular meal only 4000 calories make it into your blood stream because you gorged yourself and got the shits. But your buddy ate more and only pooped out 500 calories and got fatter. Your guts might be 50 ft long instead of your buddy’s that are 60?

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    Sorry I read #fuckfatacceptance as "nobody is allowed to be anything but buff like me, inclusive of people who cannot drop weight fast due to medications"
    I don't think there's anything "wrong" with being fat. I do think there's something wrong with trying to normalize being fat.

IMO there are factors which can cause some people to more easily gain weight, and make it more difficult to lose that weight. That said anyone can and will lose that weight with proper diet and exercise.

We've all had that friend who is a buck twenty five and eats 10 Mcdonalds cheeseburgers in a sitting, and can't put on weight to save his life. Meanwhile the obese guy eats 1/3 of that and that's all that is required to maintain a weight level once that weight is put on. Therefore it "looks" like the small/light guy can eat much more, but it doesn't tell the entire story.

I have experience regarding this, in 1996 I was 275, and lost 90 pounds, and kept it off for a few years. I then got married - and miserable - and put on so much weight that by the time I got divorced in 2003 I was 375lbs. I hit the gym with good trainers, fixed my diet, and lost weight at what everyone told me was an astonishing rate. 8 months later I was 230 with a 35" waist (down from 56), pressing 4 plates, 45 incline leg pressing the entire stack, and doing 45 mins of cardio 5 days a week. I've kept that weight off, lost some power due to a disease that affects my joints/etc, but still do the cardio/walk/swim at least 4 or 5 times a week, often more, and eat a clean balanced diet, and also drink a lot of h20, and nothing else.

IMO the various "reasons" used by the obese may have some or even a lot of validity, but they are still just excuses. There may be an "unfair" reason one can be fat, but there is a simple remedy at hand whatever the cause, "fair" or otherwise. Stop eating shit, and start moving your ass around - plus there is ample help available with regards to both. If I could/can do it, anyone can. I have SLE/lupus and am on prednisone and other steroids frequently, which have the effect of causing weight gain for various reasons - yet I don't gain that weight, by adjusting my diet and exercise levels accordingly. It isn't rocket science, and even with valid "reasons" to be fat, it's still a choice, at least it is in my case.
    Last edited by Gman.45; 10-21-2019 at 03:57 PM.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-23-2020 at 04:40 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast