Quantcast
Food vs Genetics - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Food vs Genetics

My Ride
    Civic 2001

Default Food vs Genetics

I was thinking about this the other day and realized it's not the food you eat, it's your genetics. You don't have to be a medical surgeon to see it.

I went to Japan a few times and obviously they are like on a whole different level than the rest.

Super polite, food is super healthy, nice looking and well dressed people, technologically advanced (Way advanced lol)
    but then I thought of Germans.

Germans do awesome work too and work hard (Like the Japanese) but they don't eat not nearly enough vegetables like the Japanese.

Or dare I say, a balanced diet.

This is where I realized . . . it doesn't matter what you eat, it's just who you are (Genetics).

Most vegans say if you eat your greens more, you become more relaxed, calm, function better yada yada yada
    but not really . . .

For example, Japanese sweets are not really "sugary" like western sweets but most westerners (Despite eating donuts and fast food like crazy) seem to still live long healthy lives.

Yes the media likes to portray the so called "obseity crisis" but the general population, regardless of how they look, still live long healthy lives.

So at the end of the day, it's not what you eat, it's just who you are.

Europeans are suppose to eat "meaty" diets. Indians are made for spicy foods. Japanese love soy based foods / vegetables.

Why fight it and enjoy who we are?
    Last edited by EricLobster; 11-16-2019 at 04:55 PM.

Someone hurt your feelings there chubs?

Diet and Activity level play huge roles.

Also did this have some point, what is with all the air quotes?

A lot of what you describe sounds like culture/upbringing, not genetics.

Poor (or uneducated) food choices, lack of exercise, and eating too much are much bigger factors and are things most people are able to control, if they want to.

Watching someone roll down the street in a fat scooter with a 2L coke in one hand and a BBQ turkey leg in the other isn't genetics haha.

The example countries you listed have high levels of education, easy access to healthy food and I think they walk/bike a lot more than we do here in North America.

Anytime someone uses their thyroid or genetics as an excuse for being fat I cringe. I used to be fat myself, and it had literally nothing to do with genetics and everything to do with an unhealthy lifestyle that I had 100% control over.

My Ride
    Civic 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A lot of what you describe sounds like culture/upbringing, not genetics.

Poor (or uneducated) food choices, lack of exercise, and eating too much are much bigger factors and are things most people are able to control, if they want to.

Watching someone roll down the street in a fat scooter with a 2L coke in one hand and a BBQ turkey leg in the other isn't genetics haha.

The example countries you listed have high levels of education, easy access to healthy food and I think they walk/bike a lot more than we do here in North America.

Anytime someone uses their thyroid or genetics as an excuse for being fat I cringe. I used to be fat myself, and it had literally nothing to do with genetics and everything to do with an unhealthy lifestyle that I had 100% control over.
    LOL The 2L coke on a bike just killed me lol - I guess I painted everyone with too much of a broad stroke here . . .

What I meant was I guess we're all different and that's just fine. We don't have to force so called "healthy" diets on people. Just do what works for you. For some eating less or no veggies is just fine.

Like some people can smoke their entire lives and end up living till they are in their 90s or something you know.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-23-2020 at 11:18 AM.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Quote Originally Posted by 01RedDX View Post
    There is definitely something to it, we know that individual genetics play a role in metabolism and that some people need to avoid certain foods while others are either unaffected or can thrive on them.

The problem is there is a lot of pseudoscience surrounding the subject, like "eating for your blood type" and the like. I wish there was a test that could definitively tell a person what foods they are most affected by.
    It's such an interesting topic.

I typically am highly physically active compared to the "average" person and for at least the last year (probably closer to 2 really) I have hurt and ached every day getting out of bed, muscles/joints/whatever. I have attributed that to not doing enough pre work and post work care in physical activity since I am getting old haha. Additionally I eat out at least one meal (often 2) every day and have for probably 10 years. For about a month now, whether out or at home I have completely cleared my diet of wheat, dairy, sugar (including all forms of alcohol) and nearly all my pain and a considerable amount of chronically present feeling of fatigue is gone. Not to mention a noticeable increase in mental acuity.

The interesting thing will be to slowly reintroduce one item at a time as much as possible and look for changes to try and determine which are the largest contributing factors.
    Last edited by JRSC00LUDE; 10-17-2019 at 04:10 PM.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-23-2020 at 11:17 AM.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Yep, I think this is the most common factor for most people's dietary ills. I have done a few rounds of slow/low-carb and no-sugar type diets similar to the Whole 30 in the past with similar results, including noticeable weight loss in the first few weeks.
    I am not fat but even so dropped 10 pounds in the first likely 12 days. It's too bad because I love all those things. In excess. But I do everything in excess.....more anything? MOAR EVERYTHING! That being said, I enjoy feeling so much better too so it may be time to introduce some balance into my life. I suppose it's those genetics that allowed me to skate to my mid 40's with never having to worry about anything.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    '14 Taco

You go whole30?

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Yea so no.

Just... no.

I mean... like fuck no.

#fuckfatacceptance

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    You go whole30?
    LOL

What a stupid thread. There is a small genetic predisposition im sure, but activity, diet, and hormone balance are all what dictate if you're a fat ass or not

Not rocket science, if you eat say 6000 calories a day and burn off 1500, you gonna get fat. It has to go somewhere. Biological factors such as metabolism, lean mass etc. still only relates to your ability to burn calories. Its not magic or super powers, and people with high metabolisms just burn faster. However I do get a kick out of people who think you need to be in the gym "x" amount of times a week, and be a Bro gym rat. I sure as hell ain't no fitness model at 6'2 220, and I don't work out, but I also don't eat twice my body weight in food. Also you don't have to love fat people, but if your life is so shitty it upsets you that they exist....well, that's unfortunate for you. Who gives a shit, if you're happy, great, if not then change it.

My Ride
    06 S2000

Genetics can't supersede the laws of thermodynamics. If you eat more than you burn, you store it as fat.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Interesting, are you saying that a hormone such as insulin is a factor in weight gain/loss/storage? Because insulin production in the system known as the "human body" is specifically affected by certain foods and dictates how the body uses and stores fat... Hmmm

The CICO argument ignores important pathways such as metabolism of macronutrients and is actually a violation of the 2nd rule of thermodynamics. But yeah, every time this argument comes up some dudebro points out the 1st rule of thermodynamics to show how smrt they are.
    What?

I moreso meant Test, Est, and Cortisol. I honestly have no idea if you were making fun of me or agreeing with me

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Agreeing with you and using your post to make a point. Sorry I did in such a facetious way because it's such a tired argument.
    Ah no worries. Calorie balance is super important but some peoples hormones are so out of whack they stand no chance

My Ride

It's important to acknowledge that some people actually have medical conditions that fuck with their weight either directly, or indirectly via the meds they take to manage it. I get sick of these arguments only because the wrong people make them, making it shittier for people with legitimate medical reasons they cannot lose weight.

Let's also acknowledge that the segment of the population the above applies to is extremely small. ~3% or so (last I read, so don't quote me).

Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    It's important to acknowledge that some people actually have medical conditions that fuck with their weight either directly, or indirectly via the meds they take to manage it. I get sick of these arguments only because the wrong people make them, making it shittier for people with legitimate medical reasons they cannot lose weight.

Let's also acknowledge that the segment of the population the above applies to is extremely small. ~3% or so (last I read, so don't quote me).
    The people with those conditions, what happens if they go on an extremely healthy diet, exercise regularly, and don't over eat (or eat a slight caloric defect)? I don't know the answer, I am genuinely curious. At what point do they stop gaining weight?

I know a lot of people blame their thyroids, which is mostly an excuse, but I don't know of the other conditions that cause healthy people to be fat.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    The people with those conditions, what happens if they go on an extremely healthy diet, exercise regularly, and don't over eat (or eat a slight caloric defect)? I don't know the answer, I am genuinely curious. At what point do they stop gaining weight?

I know a lot of people blame their thyroids, which is mostly an excuse, but I don't know of the other conditions that cause healthy people to be fat.
    Former-friend of mine ate healthy (we lived together, I saw what he ate), did cardio, etc. Also took prednisone and something else. We went on a hardcore diet/workout regimen at the same time (my fat ass got dumped). He lost 8lbs in like 6 months; I lost 63.

For perspective, he and I ate/worked out similarily, etc. He was always 50+ lbs heavier than me, regardless of what we did.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast