Anybody just not voting?! - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody just not voting?!

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    thought experiment:

let's pretend for a moment that there is a call centre dedicated to getting people to turn out to vote. It calls random numbers, and it's your job as the call centre volunteer to convince the people on the other end of the phone to vote, if they were otherwise not intending to do so. In 30 minutes, you can convince 10 people to go to the polling station instead of staying home.

Is that 30 minutes better spent at the polling station voting yourself, or at the call centre multiplying your value?
    So basically you want to be a hypocrite? Convincing others to vote while you don't?

And your example doesn't make sense. There isn't a limited window to vote, there are multiple advanced days as well as the election day AND your employer is legally required to ensure you have 3 consecutive hours off to go vote.

So you voting AND convincing others to vote is still better than you not voting and convincing others to vote.

I just wish I could vote Pierre Poilievre to leader of Conservatives.
    His questioning of Morneau is relentless and sadly comical at times.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

As a proud Albertan, our message to Ottawa needs to be clear. If you don’t vote in this election, you lack integrity.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    As a proud Albertan, our message to Ottawa needs to be clear. If you don’t vote in this election, you lack integrity.
    LOL oh fuck off. Go wave your Alberta pride flag elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    You are making two contradictory and mutually exclusive statements.

Which is it.
    No I am not. I am showcasing your limited ability to see the big picture.

You're either just being self entitled and lazy. Or you're making a grossly inaccurate assumption that any random sampling of any percentage of the population(ie: 5%, 40%, 90%) will all yield the same results. Thereby making your vote pointless.

My Ride
    Ford F150

Let's just tie voting in to the registries. Don't vote, can't renew your license. Why benefit from the privilege of free society if you can't partake in one of its basic functions. At least this way it's not forced or mandatory. You're still free to choose.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

Quote Originally Posted by CompletelyNumb View Post
    Let's just tie voting in to the registries. Don't vote, can't renew your license. Why benefit from the privilege of free society if you can't partake in one of its basic functions. At least this way it's not forced or mandatory. You're still free to choose.

Fuck that. The last thing I want is everyone being forced to vote. Have you seen the mental state of what appears to be majority of people? What they should do is tie your vote worth to the amount of taxes you paid. Then we would have statistical representation of government, by the people that directly fund the government.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Ditto, except for the newborn part.

No chance in hell Rempel will lose.
    i honestly didn't even see ANY signs in my neighbourhood for other parties until like a week ago, and even then, just the tiny ones and only on public property. Haven't seen any non-blue signs on anyone's lawns. I think even the competitors know it's a waste of time here.

Calgary Centre, way different story. I'd make sure to vote if i was in that riding.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    Calgary Centre, way different story. I'd make sure to vote if i was in that riding.
    Yup. That's why it was important for me to vote this time.

Kent Hehr was supposed to come around our condo a couple weeks ago to canvas but never showed up. Now that I think about it, our elevators were acting up around that time. He's supposed to come around tonight and now I wish they were out of service again

My Ride
    V167

I thought about not voting. But then I figured I have very little right to bitch about stuff if I don't even put my vote. Went and did advanced voting on Monday.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

I voted early last week.

It’s pretty pathetic how many people out there can’t spare 5-10 minutes of their “precious” time to cast a ballot. Sorry, but you’re not that busy that you can’t spare 5 minutes of your day. (Not sure where the 30 minute figure came from it’s a simple in and out?)

Maybe all the time you non-voters are spending posting on beyond about how you’re not voting, would be better spent if you got off your asses and cast a ballot.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx Mazda View Post
    I voted early last week.

It’s pretty pathetic how many people out there can’t spare 5-10 minutes of their “precious” time to cast a ballot. Sorry, but you’re not that busy that you can’t spare 5 minutes of your day. (Not sure where the 30 minute figure came from it’s a simple in and out?)

Maybe all the time you non-voters are spending posting on beyond about how you’re not voting, would be better spent if you got off your asses and cast a ballot.
    So your telling me that you want someone who knows fuck all about politics, whose running, who the parties are etc etc to go and vote? Why?

I have no interest.. I'm not going to sit down and research something I have no care in the world about nor will I ever.

Its your attitude that makes people who don't vote.. choose to even vote less because you try to force your ways, opinions and thoughts on to others.

let us non-voters be and we'll leave you voters be and we will all live in a happy world

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-23-2020 at 11:17 AM.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by 01RedDX View Post
    Downtown Calgary is the only swing vote battleground district for hundreds of miles. If you live outside downtown Calgary you can refer to what Buster says regarding your imperative to vote.

I live in a district that's never had a non-conservative MP and never will, I do not support any party, don't see any compelling leaders, the popular vote doesn't count and Alberta gets an inconsequential number of seats at best.

There's absolutely no need for me to vote but I do vote for fun, personally. For me it's just a scooter ride down the alley.
    Even in the swingiest of swing ridings, it's exceedingly unlikely that your vote will be the marginal one.

I'm not lazy, I just have a good understanding of math and statistics.

I also don't buy lottery tickets for the same reason.

My Ride
    '13 GT1R

Quote Originally Posted by 01RedDX View Post
    Downtown Calgary is the only swing vote battleground district for hundreds of miles. If you live outside downtown Calgary you can refer to what Buster says regarding your imperative to vote.

I live in a district that's never had a non-conservative MP and never will, I do not support any party, don't see any compelling leaders, the popular vote doesn't count and Alberta gets an inconsequential number of seats at best.

There's absolutely no need for me to vote but I do vote for fun, personally. For me it's just a scooter ride down the alley.
    Agreed. No point voting in most of Calgary.
    GT1R. 8.82@169
    Mission

My Ride
    2015 CLS63s AMG Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Zhariak View Post
    If you lean towards any one party or leader in the slightest, you should vote.

If you seriously don't have one preferred candidate, you should still go and spoil your ballot just as a sign you're participating in democracy (and all the history, fighting, and freedoms that come with it).

Boils my blood when people don't vote, say "I don't care", or "I don't have time". People fought and died for our freedom to do things like this.
    Forgetting about all of the above. I think it's crazy that people don't vote when nearly half their income goes to the government to spend on their behalf... You'd think they'd want to have a say on how it's spent, lmao.
    Sig was pwned by Moderator!

My Ride
    ute

Forgetting about all of the above. I think it's crazy that people don't vote when nearly half their income goes to the government to spend on their behalf... You'd think they'd want to have a say on how it's spent, lmao.
    Again not voting is not an expression of apathy. It's an expression of understanding of simple statistics.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Then the system needs to work like this
    Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    Fuck that. The last thing I want is everyone being forced to vote. Have you seen the mental state of what appears to be majority of people? What they should do is tie your vote worth to the amount of taxes you paid. Then we would have statistical representation of government, by the people that directly fund the government.

I've already voted three times, get your asses out there.

My Ride
    E90

I was curious after reading some comments that your votes don't matter, and what kind of participation the last general election received.

From Wiki -

The average voter turnout for Canada's general elections since 1867 has been 70.7%
    The highest voter turnouts were in 1958, 1960, and 1963, when voter turnout was over 79%.
    The lowest voter turnout on record was in 2008, when voter turnout fell to only 58.8%.
    Voter turnout in the 2011 federal election, at 61.4%, was the third lowest in Canadian history.
    Voter turnout rose sharply in the 2015 federal election to 68.5%, the highest turnout since 1993.

I would say we had relatively good participation, but that should not deter anyone from voting. Your vote does count, and I think having more participation will in itself lead to more participation. I think the FOMO theory might apply here. In contrast, if everyone you talk to did not vote, maybe you subconsciously decide not to vote as everyone else isn't. Even voting for one of the smaller parties, if that is what you want is very helpful. It at minimum shows the support levels for the niche parties and maybe is the extra motivation they need to keep campaigning.

As a comparison, the US voter participation.

2004 55.7%
    2008 58.2%
    2012 54.9%
    2016 55.5% (estimated)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast