Quantcast
Anybody just not voting?! - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody just not voting?!

Quote Originally Posted by 370Z View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think this is lot of people right now in Alberta. It's going blue either way, why bother wasting time when I sit at home on my couch. On Monday, I work all day then go play hockey, I don't have time or motivation to go.

It really is true that the more things change the more things stay the same. No matter what side you're on, is it really going to make a difference whether the Cons get in or the Libs, especially now since it's looking like a minority government?
    What it's "looking" like is irrelevant. Fact of the matter is that if the 2/3's of eligible voters that don't vote, got off their asses and went to the poll, they could swing an entire election whatever direction they wanted.

I can see the argument in Alberta for not voting though. We don't have enough seats to make a difference really, and it's going blue either way in our Province. But personally I still can't leave it to chance. I went and voted on Saturday at early voting. Took a total of about 3 minutes of my time on the way to the grocery store. Plus if I don't vote, I sure as hell don't have any foot to stand on as far as bitching about the result if I don't like it.

And as far as it making a difference if cons or libs get in, hell yes it matters!! Look at how fucked our economy has gotten with just 4 years of libs. On a personal selfish level it's really just a difference of a few grand a year in extra taxes. But this is a slippery slope with a bad ending in the future if it is allowed to continue. So I feel on a large scale, it is pretty damn important who gets in next.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

I find it surprising the amount of people here not voting and thinking they won't make a difference. Think for all the people who think this way and the missed opportunities. As others mentioned, in Alberta it may not matter, but why is that so? Think of all the ill-informed folks who vote blue even for the wrong reasons. They still go out and vote. It's kinda funny how there are still so many intellectual people who decide not to vote.

I also don't want to say I didn't vote and then bitch about certain policies or candidates.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Quote Originally Posted by Thaco View Post
    That's just completely untrue, you give other people shit for being uninformed... the ONLY reason NDP won was because of a conservative vote split, combined they'd have had well over 50% of the vote and would have won.. it was their own greed that cost them.
    Voter turnout in 2015 was only 57%. PCs and Wildrose also split the vote in 2012 (44%/34% of popular). I get that a lot of people were fed-up with both parties on the right and cast protest ballots for the NDP, but the fact is 43% of eligible voters didn't cast a vote at all which makes it hard to accept the results of 2015 reflected the will of Albertans.

Also, the fact the Liberals only received 39.5% of the popular vote in 2015 but won 54.4% of the seats is a statistic that may, hopefully, encourage further electoral district reforms. If you don't turn-out the popular vote numbers will not provide any such statistical data.
    Last edited by davidI; 10-18-2019 at 08:12 AM.

Voted during the advanced / early polling days. In my household, we're at 50% turnout. Wife and I voted. My parents won't be since they're non-resident.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroGravity View Post
    Voted during the advanced / early polling days. In my household, we're at 50% turnout. Wife and I voted. My parents won't be since they're non-resident.
    The Supreme Court recently ruled that non-residents should be able to vote. Details on how for your parents' future consideration: https://www.elections.ca/content.asp...t=index&lang=e

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

If you want to see change you really should vote either way because it does make a difference.

Let's say you want the Rhino party in the end as an example, if you vote now and the rest of the apathetic people like you also vote then even if they don't get a seat, they'll have a stronger push for the following election.

If you want to see change, it takes time. Putting votes behind smaller parties will help them grow for the next election. We don't get attention in Alberta because we swing so far to one side, the closer we get to the middle the more attention the parties will actually give us.

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

The liberals have vowed to confiscate legally obtained property from law abiding citizens if they get elected, so yes it is very critical to vote. My wife and I voted on Sunday and it took less than 5 minutes including parking. Get off your ass and do your duty as a citizen
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

My Ride
    ute

lol, people get so worked up about voting.

I don't vote, because I have a firm grasp of the statistical analysis of MY vote. Which is to say, my vote is so exceedingly unlikely to change any outcome it is (literally) a zero value activity.

Two world-class economists run into each other at the voting booth.

"What are you doing here?" one asks.

"My wife made me come," the other says.

The first economist gives a confirming nod. "The same."

After a mutually sheepish moment, one of them hatches a plan: "If you promise never to tell anyone you saw me here, I'll never tell anyone I saw you." They shake hands, finish their polling business and scurry off.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/06/m.../why-vote.html

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    If you want to see change you really should vote either way because it does make a difference.

Let's say you want the Rhino party in the end as an example, if you vote now and the rest of the apathetic people like you also vote then even if they don't get a seat, they'll have a stronger push for the following election.

If you want to see change, it takes time. Putting votes behind smaller parties will help them grow for the next election. We don't get attention in Alberta because we swing so far to one side, the closer we get to the middle the more attention the parties will actually give us.
    I'm not voting for the fundamental reason that the system is busted AF.
    Let's go with this example that we can persuade 5% of all of Canada to vote for Rhino.
    BUT based on how those votes are distributed, if it's evenly across all ridings, there would be zero representation, even though in a "true" democracy our votes should get 338*5%=17 seats.

I see that @Buster and I are on similar pages.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I actually really enjoy voting. Like quite a lot. I always vote because it's super fun for me. I realize not everyone shares my enthusiasm.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    Let's go with this example that we can persuade 5% of all of Canada to vote for Rhino.
    BUT based on how those votes are distributed, if it's evenly across all ridings, there would be zero representation, even though in a "true" democracy our votes should get 338*5%=17 seats.

I think people should do what they want.

I don't think we're on the same page, though. You're not voting out of protest, or because you think voting itself is not useful. That's not quite true for me - I think democracy is valuable, so long as we hit a statistically significant portion of the population, which we almost certainly do despite the hand-wringing over voter turnout here.

My reasons for not voting is because I understand that there is a gap between the usefulness of populations voting, and the usefulness of MY vote.

Quote Originally Posted by davidI View Post
    The Supreme Court recently ruled that non-residents should be able to vote. Details on how for your parents' future consideration: https://www.elections.ca/content.asp...t=index&lang=e
    Thanks for the information. I remember hearing it on CBC radio.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post

That is true, and its bullshit the liberals promised reform and didn't. But consider this larger picture.

Option A: Everyone sees it as pointless, very few vote, and the Rhino party gets <1% and disappears next election

or

Option B: 5% vote and they get no seats. But they actually did a lot better than expected so next election they campaign harder, maybe they fund raise a bit more money and get some better people to run. So more people take notice and vote for them, again even though its pointless. Maybe they get 15 or 20% of the vote, and still no seats. Or maybe 1 seat like the green party gets. At least that is something. And then it continues with them gaining each election by chipping away at the attitude that its throwing away a vote.

Is that a unrealistic dream to actually happen? Probably, but you should still try. It's 30 minutes of your time every 4 years. Are you really that entitled that you can't participate in our democracy every few years?

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    lol, people get so worked up about voting.

I don't vote, because I have a firm grasp of the statistical analysis of MY vote. Which is to say, my vote is so exceedingly unlikely to change any outcome it is (literally) a zero value activity.

https://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/06/m.../why-vote.html
    This mindset is such a fallacy for obvious reasons. The statistical merit of any one individuals vote is meaningless by itself. But yet the entirety of all individuals votes is what determines the outcome. So with any sort of over sight whatsoever, it is very easy to see how the vote of an individual is very important. Saying it isn't important is just pure laziness of expecting that other people will take care of it, so you don't have to.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    This mindset is such a fallacy for obvious reasons. The statistical merit of any one individuals vote is meaningless by itself. But yet the entirety of all individuals votes is what determines the outcome. So with any sort of over sight whatsoever, it is very easy to see how the vote of an individual is very important. Saying it isn't important is just pure laziness of expecting that other people will take care of it, so you don't have to.
    THIS mindset is a fallacy. Some ruling party, ANY ruling party, should actually recognize the significant level of voter apathy this system has created and work to DO something about it. And the whole "if you don't vote you can't complain" argument is the only platform weaker than what's offered up in the current election. A majority of the population NOT voting is a far bigger statement than a spoiled ballot as far as I'm concerned. The right to vote and the right not to vote are equally fought for - it's a freedom of choice. All any of these shit politicians will likely ultimately do with increased apathy is make voting a legal obligation eventually which will just spit in the face of freedom of choice.
    Last edited by JRSC00LUDE; 10-18-2019 at 09:16 AM.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    You are making two contradictory and mutually exclusive statements.

Which is it.

My Ride
    2011 Chrarger, 2018 F150

I go and vote just so I can try and score a single mom on the rebound but my wife doesn't like that very much.

My Ride
    V8s

Took us less than 30 min, including time to pack our daughter in the car and drive there/home. Did it Monday morning, during a time where we wouldn't be productive doing other stuff anyways

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I definitely vote. Though I think my voting is a relatively small contribution to advancing your interests politically.

Lots of other far more impactful ways to get involved.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    Took us less than 30 min, including time to pack our daughter in the car and drive there/home. Did it Monday morning, during a time where we wouldn't be productive doing other stuff anyways
    thought experiment:

let's pretend for a moment that there is a call centre dedicated to getting people to turn out to vote. It calls random numbers, and it's your job as the call centre volunteer to convince the people on the other end of the phone to vote, if they were otherwise not intending to do so. In 30 minutes, you can convince 10 people to go to the polling station instead of staying home.

Is that 30 minutes better spent at the polling station voting yourself, or at the call centre multiplying your value?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast