Quantcast
Worlds Longest flight - almost 20 hours - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Worlds Longest flight - almost 20 hours

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Default Worlds Longest flight - almost 20 hours

Not in commercial service yet, but Qantas has tested a direct New York - Sidney flight that was 19.5 hours in length. Current jets cannot do that distance with a full load, so this test was with limited passengers and little luggage. Interesting to think about the pros and cons of these ultra-long flights.
    Currently there's several flights over 16 hours, and Qantas flies London to Perth which is over 17 hours
    Neato!

https://business.financialpost.com/t...t-it-did-to-me

Name:  new-Qantas-livery-787.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  69.3 KB
    Name:  1200,678-52a7f82893e04101bafe352f767f2254-qantas-new-uniform-920b.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  74.2 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

That just sounds terrible tbh unless your fancy enough for first class.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Its a shame that Qantas and others, wont utilize some of the massive available space below decks on ships like the 777-8x for things like bunks or standing/stretching - exercise areas - for these ultra long haul routes. When the cabin is dark, and you are no where near ready to sleep, an area with light and space would be welcome. Heck, even a bar.

EDIT - they ARE going to have space on the MAIN deck for some exercise equipment ....https://thewest.com.au/business/avia...ng-b881218954z

Sitting - even in Business class would be tough. I would have to have something like Ambien to help knock me out as I've never been able to sleep on planes - even in lie flat beds.

Also, they want an answer by the end of this calendar year - I doubt that Boeing will have their crap together with the 777-8/9s by then. Engine and engineering issues are still plaguing the program - as well as diversion of resources towards the 787Max debacle.
    Last edited by revelations; 10-22-2019 at 09:49 AM.

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

I routinely fly 15-16 hour flights (in business) and I really have no issues at all. I just sleep/eat/work. I was reading they're running ghost flights now to see how the human body handles flying for 20+ hours at a time. Personally I don't see it being much different, but I also have never flown more than 4-5 hours in economy (lucky af I know), I probably wouldn't do it.

I've got a ~13 hr flight coming up in 2 weeks...not looking forward to that. I couldn't imagine 20 hours unless I had sleeping pills or a first class seat haha. Good that these options are available though. Longest flight I've done to date was 11hr. It does make a big difference being on a 787 though like the one used for that flight - they are so quiet, cabin altitude is way lower than in other planes, they get fresh air, and they aren't nearly as dry.

In business/first though I think I could easily handle any duration but I can never justify the cost on the really long hauls

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    I've got a ~13 hr flight coming up in 2 weeks...not looking forward to that. I couldn't imagine 20 hours unless I had sleeping pills or a first class seat haha. Good that these options are available though. Longest flight I've done to date was 11hr. It does make a big difference being on a 787 though like the one used for that flight - they are so quiet, cabin altitude is way lower than in other planes, they get fresh air, and they aren't nearly as dry.

In business/first though I think I could easily handle any duration but I can never justify the cost on the really long hauls
    Business class can be had for a good price if you have the flexibility to travel when the seat prices drop. I typically travel to India 3-4 times a year, this year I'm going once because flight prices have been whack all year, f'n Boeing.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

If you needed to get from New York to Sidney, what's worse, a 20 hour flight, or TWO flights with a 4-5-6 hour stopover somewhere?
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    If you needed to get from New York to Sidney, what's worse, a 20 hour flight, or TWO flights with a 4-5-6 hour stopover somewhere?
    If time wasnt a factor - I'd rather have a 12 hour LO where I can book a room - or a 20 hour flight if time was a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Jlude View Post
    Business class can be had for a good price if you have the flexibility to travel when the seat prices drop. I typically travel to India 3-4 times a year, this year I'm going once because flight prices have been whack all year, f'n Boeing.
    What is a good price though? Usually I see seats around $2500 per person per way, which isn't horrible, but $10K for 2 people for 1 trip is too much, for us anyway haha. Rather spend that on another entire vacation.

Air Canada and other airlines auction off their business/first seats sometimes and I have only ever won a bid once with Iceland air.

My Ride
    Bicycle

What is a good price though? Usually I see seats around $2500 per person per way, which isn't horrible, but $10K for 2 people for 1 trip is too much, for us anyway haha. Rather spend that on another entire vacation.
    I would say if I still have travel bugs when I hit 60s, that's probably only way too go. Probably too old to cram in economy for 9+hrs by then, and won't enjoy the rest of the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Depend on the quality and space of the flight. I have done Condor and Thomas Cook over Atlantic and I'm under 6'. They are horrible on anything over 5hrs due to lack of space. My recent trip on 787 with Westjet is fine and potentially can stick it out for longer time.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 10-22-2019 at 01:03 PM.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Shit, 19 hours.

Now the team has nearly double the amount for inception.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post
    Shit, 19 hours.

And there's going to be an exercise/stretching area at the back for conception too.

My Ride
    *The First*

Take that, Greta! That's about 300,000 L of fuel for her to habitually scowl about.
    That's maybe about 6,000 cars being thoroughly commuted in for about a week?
    No problem. I'll continue putting my carrot peelings in a special bin and rinsing out my yogurt containers.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post
    shit, 19 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by extraslow View Post
    and there's going to be an exercise/stretching area at the back for conception too.
    looooool

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    If time wasnt a factor - I'd rather have a 12 hour LO where I can book a room - or a 20 hour flight if time was a factor.
    I would rather have the layovers also. I hunker down in a lounge and work mostly.

Air Canada and other airlines auction off their business/first seats sometimes and I have only ever won a bid once with Iceland air.
    It depends where you're going. My leg is usually Winnipeg --> Toronto --> Delhi --> Bangalore or Winnipeg --> Toronto --> Frankfurt --> Bangalore. Once in a while I'll go through LAX to Dubai or Vancouver to Delhi, so it's not a short trip and I can't begin to explain how airlines determine costs based on the number legs, etc.

Lots of airlines have sales, again you need to be checking and be prepared to go when the price is right.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I refuse to do the Delhi leg from Toronto. It’s unbearably long. Not sure if you remember Pakistan closing airspace, that flight made it all the way to Pakistan before turning around back to Toronto lol. That would’ve fucking sucked.

Wonder if you get mileage out of that flight haha.

Here it is: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...back-1.5035310
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    "Four f***ing wheels and a seat!"

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    I refuse to do the Delhi leg from Toronto. It’s unbearably long. Not sure if you remember Pakistan closing airspace, that flight made it all the way to Pakistan before turning around back to Toronto lol. That would’ve fucking sucked.

Wonder if you get mileage out of that flight haha.

Here it is: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...back-1.5035310
    I was on an Air Canada flight just over a week ago that was supposed to go from Santiago to Buenos Aires, only to make it more than halfway there, turn around, and land back in Santiago due to "congestion at Buenos Aires."

Name:  20191012_145140.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  100.3 KB

The flight was ultimately cancelled while we all sat in the aircraft about 6 hours after it was scheduled to depart from Santiago.

The only silver lining to this fiasco is that I did collect mileage out of this flight, although the miles collected reflected the distance that should have been flown from SCL to EZE, not the actual longer distance flown from SCL towards EZE and back to SCL

Quote Originally Posted by Jlude View Post
    I would rather have the layovers also. I hunker down in a lounge and work mostly.

It depends where you're going. My leg is usually Winnipeg --> Toronto --> Delhi --> Bangalore or Winnipeg --> Toronto --> Frankfurt --> Bangalore. Once in a while I'll go through LAX to Dubai or Vancouver to Delhi, so it's not a short trip and I can't begin to explain how airlines determine costs based on the number legs, etc.

Lots of airlines have sales, again you need to be checking and be prepared to go when the price is right.
    I'm probably not looking hard enough, and we never plan trips more than a couple months in advance. Maybe I am just destined to fly with the unwashed masses behind the curtains