Quantcast
Tenant Moving in Wants Condo Pro-Cleaned and Carpets Steam Cleaned - Reasonable? - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Tenant Moving in Wants Condo Pro-Cleaned and Carpets Steam Cleaned - Reasonable?

All comes down to how much action you've gotten and how desperate you are to rent it out. I thought the rental market was horrible and i had a tenant move on me in july so i was pretty worried but i got it rented within 1 week. I did about 8 showings in that week which was more than i expected and found whom i think is a good tenant. I can see both sides of this but to ask for the carpets to be cleaned is not that out of line in this market imo, its definitely on the tenants side now.
    Theres no guarantees in the rental game and credit is not the be all end all. The lady that moved out was honest with me 9.5 years ago about her situation(messy relationship and so so credit) and shes been my best tenant ever, My mortgage was 153k and just in the time shes been there she's paid $148k

Quote Originally Posted by Asian_defender View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This was a request from my current tenant, the guy was going to use it for AirBnB and just wanted to start with a clean unit.
    I believe AirBnB requires a professional cleaning after every rental, every time I've gone in there (which has been about 3 times in a year) the units been immaculate
    Everyone has a reason for it
    You got balls! Ive heard of this happening lots though, people will lease a couple rentals and do the air bnb thing out of them. Makes total sense though, you have little to no risk as compared to it being your own place to air bnb.
    Would you just hope the airbnb insurance covers you or does your insurance cover this too?

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    I'm not dumb enough to have one with carpet in it.
    No carpet in mine either
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Because you have to manage an Airbnb which takes work, and you potentially may lose out on a steady income from a rental tenant.
    If the tenant can make it work, I'm confident that landlord can too. Yes there's management required which may not be worth it, but there's also management companies out there who will do this work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by RedDawn View Post
    A prospective new tenant for my condo has said he expects the condo to be professionally cleaned and the carpets steam cleaned before moving in. Both of these services would be done at my cost and not charged to either the prior tenant or new tenant.

Is performing these two services a common expectation or is the tenant being unreasonable?
    Quite reasonable. If you are to rent from places like Vertica and any higher end rental places, this is a service that you can expect as a renter that's moving in.

It's a renter's market. You can choose to forego the prospective renter or adapt to new conditions that make you more competitive and amenable.

I also think that if I were renting a place, I would expect for it to be spot free and clean, even before I do my own round of cleaning once I move in.

It seems people think a landlords going to leave their rental dirty as hell if some high end professional cleaners dont get hired on every move out.

With my rentals I'll handle any cleaning myself or hire a friend/family member to get the job done. In no way would this be a "professional" clean but the job would be done better then any company I could potentially hire.

So the question is whats considered a professional clean and Why do people think hiring a company is better the handling it yourself? We are talking about cleaning. Have people not seen the millions of professional cleaners that advertise on facebook all day? Let's take the risk and bring them in because theyve got some cleaning skills that take years to learn.

Or maybe it's the university level cleaning course that theyve taken over the last couple of years. Do our cleaners need a special degree or PhD in cleaning to be accepted as a professional?

I think people have vastly over thought what cleaning a rental property takes.

Quote Originally Posted by gwill View Post
    It seems people think a landlords going to leave their rental dirty as hell if some high end professional cleaners dont get hired on every move out.

With my rentals I'll handle any cleaning myself or hire a friend/family member to get the job done. In no way would this be a "professional" clean but the job would be done better then any company I could potentially hire.

So the question is whats considered a professional clean and Why do people think hiring a company is better the handling it yourself? We are talking about cleaning. Have people not seen the millions of professional cleaners that advertise on facebook all day? Let's take the risk and bring them in because theyve got some cleaning skills that take years to learn.

Or maybe it's the university level cleaning course that theyve taken over the last couple of years. Do our cleaners need a special degree or PhD in cleaning to be accepted as a professional?

I think people have vastly over thought what cleaning a rental property takes.
    It’s probably because most landlords vastly overrate their cleaning abilities and what a tenant might expect as clean when moving in.

How in the hell does asking for the carpet to be professional cleaned raise red flags Back when I rented years ago, anytime I moved in they always had the carpets steamed properly, and the house was as mint as could be. As a landlord I would expect the same when the tenant moves out. Just because someone asks for a clean carpet, doesn't all the sudden make them a nightmare tenant. I realize 99% of people who own rentals want to put the absolute minimum amount of work into them to squeeze every ounce of profit out, but a carpet cleaning? Wow. I know my wife's aunt and uncle own over 15 properties, and this is standard practice. Guess Calgary is different

Paying for cleaning doesn't mean you're getting a good clean - the 3 times I have used 'professional' cleaners, literally the first places I checked each time when they were done were still filthy. In my experience, I can do a better job myself faster and cheaper so it makes total sense to me that some owners want to do it themselves and it doesn't mean you aren't getting a proper clean.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket1k78 View Post
    All comes down to how much action you've gotten and how desperate you are to rent it out.
    In the end, it really comes down to this.

Some people will never do it, or some people will do it for all their rentals consistently. But if you are hee-ing and haw-ing over it, then it comes down to market conditions and how many prospects you have.

Quote Originally Posted by ee2k View Post
    It's a renter's market. You can choose to forego the prospective renter or adapt to new conditions that make you more competitive and amenable.
    ^^ This.
    In this market, you have to go above what the next Landlord has done.
    My guess is the prospective renter has already moved on if you have balked at this request.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3