Thread: Alberta budget

Times mentioned: 5.

Print more money.
    Cocoa $11,000 per ton.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by davidI View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Eventually, I expect the Liberals are going to have their Cretien moment and realize spending cuts rather than increasibgly abusive taxation, are the answer to deficits and debt.

An oldie but goodie: https://business.financialpost.com/u...7e-aHEZuuXZwCs
    Won’t be these Liberals. Right now it’s a popularity contest.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

As someone who has worked at ERCB (now AER), glad to see cuts being made there. Seriously, many of these "public workers" are useless as hell and are there collecting $$ and spending it like it grows on trees, while doing absolutely nothing. I worked at ERCB/AUC for about 9 years total and have got to see it all. My plan has always been to go back to those organizations to "ride it out" when I get older, as a vast majority of them do. My buddy just got laid off after 13 years at AER, surprised he made it that far honestly, but the perks they get on top of already doing nothing all day is pretty repulsive. Many people come and work there for life. 270 layoffs at AER apparently.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Already coming from Trudeau.

https://nationalpost.com/news/politi...areful-nibbles

Already planning on slowing down spending in Canada.
    Punishing people for being successful is disgusting, and anyone who supports such a program is immoral at best.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Gosh, is there a list of broken election promises for this �� yet?
    Was the #1 Forum Warrior

My Ride
    Silverado

Only 1 promise mattered and it was fulfilled on election night

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post
    As someone who has worked at ERCB (now AER), glad to see cuts being made there. Seriously, many of these "public workers" are useless as hell and are there collecting $$ and spending it like it grows on trees, while doing absolutely nothing. I worked at ERCB/AUC for about 9 years total and have got to see it all. My plan has always been to go back to those organizations to "ride it out" when I get older, as a vast majority of them do. My buddy just got laid off after 13 years at AER, surprised he made it that far honestly, but the perks they get on top of already doing nothing all day is pretty repulsive. Many people come and work there for life. 270 layoffs at AER apparently.
    If you think AER is bad, ask anyone in AHS!!
    Ultracrepidarian

Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post
    And yet it takes 2 months to get approvals from well ops. Changes are needed there but layoffs aren’t the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by davidI View Post
    Eventually, I expect the Liberals are going to have their Cretien moment and realize spending cuts rather than increasibgly abusive taxation, are the answer to deficits and debt.

An oldie but goodie: https://business.financialpost.com/u...7e-aHEZuuXZwCs
    Won't happen until the gov't gets a call from a credit rating agency. Even then I'm not sure Morneau has enough brain power to comprehend the situation.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

So the more I read about this budget the more I just don't understand. Can any one explain what I'm missing? A lot of things are being cut, and yet they are still spending more than the previous years NDP budget despite the UCP claiming its the first budget in 25 years they are actually cutting spending

Last year (actual)
    49.6 billion revenue
    56.3 billion expenditures
    Net - 6.7 billion deficit

Current budget estimates:
    50 billion dollar revenue (estimate)
    58.7 billion expenditures (includes 1.5 billion rail car buyout) so 57.2 billion in spending
    Net - 8.7 billion deficit (7.2 billion without rail car buyout)

So I know that AHS is still receiving a 1% increase in funding but that amounts to about 300 million increase.

So somehow with all of these cuts across the board and taking away the AHS and rail car portions, they are still spending 600 million more than last year? I don't understand how you can freeze education and cut nearly 1600 jobs (824 government + 764 post secondary), cut funding to infastructure projects like the LRT/Ctrain, delay the Edmonton hospital, and still be spending 600 million more?
    Last edited by pheoxs; 10-28-2019 at 09:32 AM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I was told cancelling that rail car contract is the big ticket item, at a cost of $1.5b.

This is what someone told me, never verified it so if someone can fact check that would be great haha.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    So somehow with all of these cuts across the board and taking away the AHS and rail car portions, they are still spending 600 million more than last year? I don't understand how you can freeze education and cut nearly 1600 jobs (824 government + 764 post secondary), cut funding to infastructure projects like the LRT/Ctrain, delay the Edmonton hospital, and still be spending 600 million more?
    $200M is going to maintaining and upgrading current schools.

While public schooling is seeing a freeze/cut, $400M is going to private, charter, alternative and home schooling.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by kertejud2 View Post
    $200M is going to maintaining and upgrading current schools.

While public schooling is seeing a freeze/cut, $400M is going to private, charter, alternative and home schooling.
    Such BS about the latter, but okay, so that roughly cancels out the 600M I was missing. But that still leaves all of the actual cuts themselves being cancelled out by some other big items? Like delaying the hospital and LRT/Ctrain funding is still hundreds of millions off the books this year and the 1600 job cut is around 125M in savings (assuming ~80k per person on average bc gov't peeps. Probably more since a lot of those will be senior spots)

Edit: The reason I'm bringing this up is between '17 and '18 the province spent 1 billion dollars more (from 55.3B to 56.3B) under the NDP 'fiscally irresponsible and running this province into the ground' party.

But yet this budget is slashing so much and still goes up by 900M compared to last year ... so they are drastically cutting services and screwing a lot of people over and yet .... they are still increasing spending by pretty much the same amount.
    Last edited by pheoxs; 10-28-2019 at 09:51 AM.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    I was told cancelling that rail car contract is the big ticket item, at a cost of $1.5b.

This is what someone told me, never verified it so if someone can fact check that would be great haha.
    “This is something that is fundamentally important to the return that all Albertans get for our energy resources,” Notley said in February when her government signed the three-year contracts to lease 4,000 rail cars from Canadian Pacific Railway and Canadian National Railway.
    But the provincial government is now saying those contracts will lose $1.8 billion and they want to sell them to the private sector. “The business case carried a number of risks and assumptions never adequately disclosed to Albertans,” the budget said.
    https://business.financialpost.com/c...e-books-budget

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Such BS about the latter, but okay, so that roughly cancels out the 600M I was missing. But that still leaves all of the actual cuts themselves being cancelled out by some other big items? Like delaying the hospital and LRT/Ctrain funding is still hundreds of millions off the books this year and the 1600 job cut is around 125M in savings (assuming ~80k per person on average bc gov't peeps. Probably more since a lot of those will be senior spots)
    I don't think the capital cuts kick in until the 2021-22 fiscal year.

EDIT: some kick in in 2020-21.
    Last edited by kertejud2; 10-28-2019 at 10:00 AM.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by kertejud2 View Post
    I don't think the capital cuts kick in until the 2021-22 fiscal year.

EDIT: some kick in in 2020-21.
    Hmm, that would make sense I guess. I presumed it would hit next year as this was from the Calgary Herald. But I guess it could be explain why

The city had been expecting $555 million for the Green Line over the next four years. Thursday, the province announced the city will be receiving just $75 million. The remainder of the $1.53 billion will come in future years, the province said.

I hear about cuts and then complaints but have yet to hear about optimizations within these entities. AHS, etc.
    Optimizing would solve a lot.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    I hear about cuts and then complaints but have yet to hear about optimizations within these entities. AHS, etc.
    Optimizing would solve a lot.
    It's been made clear in the past that your AHS is like all Government healthcare, efficient and not wasteful or bloated. It also delivers excellent attendance and production value for the lowly Union wages paid.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Wife got a job at the CBE. They're horribly run. I can't even imagine the waste that goes on elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    Wife got a job at the CBE. They're horribly run. I can't even imagine the waste that goes on elsewhere.
    Anytime the word "Union" is involved, any form of efficiency is thrown out the window.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 LastLast