Quantcast
Car likely written off, need a new car - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Car likely written off, need a new car

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Having never driven one, what's more luxurious about the RDX than the others?
    Per the post above you:
    Quote Originally Posted by schocker View Post
    I like my golf a lot. I ended up with a CPO 18 but I think there are still some 19s kicking around. It ticked all my boxes (AWD, auto, android auto, all the safety/sensor stuff, good storage) and is a lot more fun than my tsx. Didn't really need something that size so I much prefer the smaller golf. Gripes are: no memory seats nor power passenger, no sunroof (I grew to not mind this), 19s ride pretty rough as they are 35s, no homelink and only 1 usb port. Otherwise it is fulllllyyy loaded. Also decent fuel economy as per vvvv but the tank is only 55 l so more stops than my tsx (75l)
    The RDX has the memory seats, power passenger (I believe this is on all trims), the sunroof (panoramic, I believe on all trims), the home link, multiple USB (some trims in the back as well).

Furthermore I believe some of these options are not available at all in the Golf, Q50, Mazda6:
    Optional heated steering wheel
    Vented seats
    Heated rear seats
    Paddle shifters
    AcuraLink app for remote start, etc.

The Android auto is still on hold for the RDX, but not available in the infiniti at all...

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Quote Originally Posted by Inzane View Post
    I did some checking on the weekend (articles, YouTube) and it sounds like a nice vehicle. The main Achilles heel sounds like it’s the infotainment system. Something about how you navigate the non-touch screen remotely. How do you find it?

How is the handling (for a CUV) and steering feel/feedback?
    The infotainment was a big red flag for me as well going in, I had read a lot of the reviews about the touch pad being slow to respond and not being intuitive. The other issue I had read about was the screen being slow to load and the sync not working well.

It was a bit of a learning curve, but you get used to it pretty quick. Instead of always using a cursor or a wheel, you are touching the location on the pad where you want to click on the screen, although you can drag your finger across the pad and then click of it's more suitable. There is also the secondary pad that controls the second section of the screen. I have no serious issues with the setup and find that it's located in nearly the perfect spot to have easy and comfortable access while driving, switching back and forth between screens is easy and with minimal lag. I actually prefer this one over the Audi, which placed the pad and wheel further from you and I was having to reach past the shift to use it.

Small quirks I have noticed are that it does take a few seconds to load up when you first start the car and if you do want a phone connected, you need to wait until the screen is on to connect.

Handling wise, I find it's very comparable to the other luxury CUVs in the class, maybe feeling a tad more stable in the tight turns. Steering is nice and tight, and the sport/sport+ modes add some weight to the wheel which I like. I'm finding that because it is so responsive, smooth input is a lot better that sharp inputs, even on tight corners.

One thing that I'm not sure about is the slight squeak I get from the brakes on cold starts. One other person on here has experienced the same thing, but Acrua has said that it's normal operation. The things that would be nice would be the surround view camera on all trims and foot opening tailgate, but not deal breakers.
    Last edited by FraserB; 10-29-2019 at 08:57 AM.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

Hey Bud, Are you still in Beaumont? If you want to go for a drive in my S4, we could meet up. It will give you a good feel for if you like the S-tronic gear box and can fit your family in it.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinL View Post
    Hey Bud, Are you still in Beaumont? If you want to go for a drive in my S4, we could meet up. It will give you a good feel for if you like the S-tronic gear box and can fit your family in it.
    Yes. How did I not know you were in Beaumont? Or maybe I forgot, it’s been so long since I’ve seen you.

Answer: 2019 Golf R

My Ride
    Grimace

Good choice. I love my R.

Quote Originally Posted by schocker View Post
    Good choice. I love my R.
    I was on the fence about the transmission choice after test driving both at the beginning. But I'm so glad I went with the DSG. With my new job in West Edmonton I have a long commute on the West-South West leg of the Henday everyday and traffic is a slog much of the time.

I do miss my 335i often, but the Golf R manages to tick all the right boxes for me as a worthy successor and validates my belief that wanting and getting AWD was the right call too.

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

I have a long commute on the West-South West leg of the Henday everyday and traffic is a slog much of the time.
    You poor bastard.

My Ride
    Grimace

I never tried the 6spd only the dsg as I knew I wanted it for commuting. I use the ACC almost every time I drive now as well and am going to turn on the low speed following and the lane centering now that I found how.
    I don't miss my TSX that is for sure outside of homelink, memory seats and sunroof. Ticket all my boxes though, android auto, turbo, awd, some form of safety pack.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Golf R is nicceee choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Anything I missed that should be on my radar that I might not have considered? Thanks.
    Late to the thread but did you test drive a Honda Fit?
    Some may (and I say, MAY) trade for your Golf R straight up. But likely would still have to provide additional cash up front.

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    Late to the thread but did you test drive a Honda Fit?
    Some may (and I say, MAY) trade for your Golf R straight up. But likely would still have to provide additional cash up front.
    This has got to be the most cryptic post I’ve read in a while, or you posted to the wrong thread.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Right thread, don't worry, he's making a joke about my sick whip.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2020 Genesis G70

Had I noticed this sooner I would have recommended the Genesis G70, especially coming from the E90 (I went E90 to F10 to the G70 because I missed the size), but the Golf R is still an awesome choice. Congrats!

I make that same drive as you every day so I will try not to cut off any Golf R's on my commute.

Quote Originally Posted by blownz View Post
    Had I noticed this sooner I would have recommended the Genesis G70, especially coming from the E90 (I went E90 to F10 to the G70 because I missed the size), but the Golf R is still an awesome choice. Congrats!
    I didn't look at the Genesis, but I was considering the Kia Stinger GT. (didn't test drive it though).

I was very enamored with the Golf R since I looked it over pretty thoroughly at last spring's Auto Show. Then I lucked out and found one of the rare Spektrum colors and couldn't resist.

I make that same drive as you every day so I will try not to cut off any Golf R's on my commute.
    Mine is a very bright green, hard to miss.

Here's my sad story.

My 2009 335i LCI Sedan
    Porsche Macan (used?)
    My path has a similar starting point, a mid-point you're considering, and a new endpoint.

2012 328i -> 2018 Macan GTS (insurance write off) -> 2019 Tesla Model 3

BMW pros: really good on gas, handled well for a sedan, iDrive system is great. I personally think the F30s are beautiful.
    BMW cons: 328i is not fast... just fast enough not to be considered slow. Leatherette sucks.

Porsche pros: I love the look of the Macan GTS, especially when compared to other SUV/CUVs. Interior is a definite step up from BMW. Fast for an SUV, and handles way better than any SUV should.
    Porsche cons: so bad on gas... 16mpg on premium sucks. Infotainment on a new MY18 was worse than what the MY12 BMW 3 series had, it's inexcusably bad.

Tesla pros: instant torque makes the car feel like a go-kart. watching netflix/youtube on the screen while waiting in the car is fun. nav using a huge screen is awesome. plugging in means daily commute is always covered.
    Tesla cons: lots of planning required for long trips, no buttons makes changes while driving difficult. The car is not nearly as good looking as a 3 series, and downright ugly compared to the Macan.
    Last edited by Super_Geo; 02-06-2020 at 04:36 PM.

My Ride
    370Z duhh

You'd consider a BMW again but not the Fseries... but need a little more space.

Buy my 2012 X1 28i until you really figure out what you want

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Super_Geo's coles notes: Buy Macan EV when it comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Super_Geo View Post
    I personally think the F30s are beautiful.
    Once I noticed the leading edge hood line, which basically runs in a STRAIGHT line across on the F30, I could never un-see that.

Infotainment on a new MY18 was worse than what the MY12 BMW 3 series had, it's inexcusably bad. iDrive system is great.
    My E90 was a 6MT and no nav. So I never had any "infotainment" or iDrive etc. previously to compare to. But what my Golf has now seems to be pretty decent.

The car is not nearly as good looking as a 3 series, and downright ugly compared to the Macan.
    I'm starting to notice more and more Tesla model 3s running around Edmonton and what it says to me when I see one is "anonymous people-moving conveyance".

My Ride
    '20 SS 1LE

Once I noticed the leading edge hood line, which basically runs in a STRAIGHT line across on the F30, I could never un-see that.

My E90 was a 6MT and no nav. So I never had any "infotainment" or iDrive etc. previously to compare to. But what my Golf has now seems to be pretty decent.

I'm starting to notice more and more Tesla model 3s running around Edmonton and what it says to me when I see one is "anonymous people-moving conveyance".
    Not sure if small sample size or actual trend, but lately I keep lining up with Model 3s at stoplights that want to race. I get it, you have awd and endless torque, the outcome is predetermined. It's actually hilarious when they launch, we're not even in the same performance stratosphere in a straight line.

Congrats on the R purchase, I drove one a month ago and was really impressed with the suspension feel in track mode or whatever it is. Much better steering feel than I anticipated also.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast