Quantcast
Winter tire recommendations - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter tire recommendations

My Ride
    '14 Taco

same idea i guess, i bought the winters to be a tool for winter, and duratracs for tools in summer with offroading for camping and fishing

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I’ll see how they manage. If they are crap I won’t hesitate to replace them midway through winter that doesn’t bother me at all.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Silverado

Had the first test on the defender LTX's this morning. Did a couple emergency stops on pretty solid ice. No issues at all
    Last edited by dirtsniffer; 11-04-2019 at 10:14 AM.

My Ride
    2019 JLU /Triumph T120 Bonnyville

Thanks all for the different recommendations. I'm going to try out some Cooper Discoverer M+S and see how they do for the next few seasons!

Quote Originally Posted by 300havoc View Post
    Thanks all for the different recommendations. I'm going to try out some Cooper Discoverer M+S and see how they do for the next few seasons!
    Driving out to Radium last night... even at -1 it was pretty sketch with the freezing rain on just the top of castle junction by storm mountain lodge...

I find it funny how I think that was the greasiest I’ve seen it and I make the drive at least twice a month in the winter, even at -20... however the freezing rain and windy conditions made it nasty

Put it this way, with ATWs in 4x4 with a full tank of gas and loaded up on a f150, the T/C was going mad, and even at times was losing speed

I’ll call that traction worse case scenario for climbing a grade, and I would reckon that a proper set of Winters with studs and C ply or 116p rather than the E(s) I went with, would have made a bit of difference. That said, I saw MDXs with winters, my neighbour with winters on his 4Runner all complain they were having the same issue.

Anyways, I guess what I am saying is, the right sidewall pressure and compound will make a big difference, so for trucks... maybe going for that E ply for a half ton is not a good thing in the winter, but what choices do we have for larger diameter tires??

I had studs on Duratracs, and frankly that never made enough of a difference when compared to say my BFG KO2s.

My Ride
    2019 JLU /Triumph T120 Bonnyville

Quote Originally Posted by r3ccOs View Post
    .....but what choices do we have for larger diameter tires??.
    That is one of the things that I was noticing in my search. The options are actually not that large for a proper winter compound tire at bigger wheel sizes. There are so many "All Weather" or All-seasons, but they are honestly only helpful with a blocky tread pattern for snow that is actually on the ground and maybe slightly compacted. The second that the city scrapes the pavement and ice starts to form, they aren't as effective. My street doesn't get plowed properly, so I can really feel how the tires bite better in the snow and I can often feel the difference in traction when i go from the snow on my street to the cleared main street that is coated in ice.

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

Anyone have input on General GRABBER ARCTIC tires? They are studable but don't think I want to due to the added noise.

I had blizzak DMV2s on my GX. They were amazing
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    13 AUDI A4, 14 TUNDRA SR5, 12 VW GOLF TDI

Quote Originally Posted by arcticcat522 View Post
    Anyone have input on General GRABBER ARCTIC tires? They are studable but don't think I want to due to the added noise.

I went with studed General grabber arctic and it has been great so far on my F150. I do lots of highway driving(800~1000km/wk) and past two storms I was very comfortable going 110~120km/h on highway 1 btw Calgary and Banff.

My Ride
    LNF

Quote Originally Posted by 300havoc View Post
    That is one of the things that I was noticing in my search. The options are actually not that large for a proper winter compound tire at bigger wheel sizes. There are so many "All Weather" or All-seasons, but they are honestly only helpful with a blocky tread pattern for snow that is actually on the ground and maybe slightly compacted. The second that the city scrapes the pavement and ice starts to form, they aren't as effective. My street doesn't get plowed properly, so I can really feel how the tires bite better in the snow and I can often feel the difference in traction when i go from the snow on my street to the cleared main street that is coated in ice.
    Bridgestone makes a Blizzak LT. Probably would make a good dedicated winter tire that is load range E. And then of course there are GY ultragrip WRT studded tires. Most are available in common 33" size for 18" wheels.

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

Quote Originally Posted by muse017 View Post
    I went with studed General grabber arctic and it has been great so far on my F150. I do lots of highway driving(800~1000km/wk) and past two storms I was very comfortable going 110~120km/h on highway 1 btw Calgary and Banff.
    Are the studs worth it to you? I really don't want to add studs, but also need to be sure the wife is safe out there. Most driving is in the city, so I really thing the added noise is a deal breaker. I'm so torn.

My Ride
    teslo murdel free

I did federal Himalayas studded on the RS this year. Quite a noticeable difference in grip on the side streets. Main roads there is no difference. But man... the road noise. It’s like I’m in a lifted truck with mudders lol

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by eglove View Post
    I did federal Himalayas studded on the RS this year. Quite a noticeable difference in grip on the side streets. Main roads there is no difference. But man... the road noise. It’s like I’m in a lifted truck with mudders lol
    The noise doesn't bother me because I lost most of my hearing from my head banger days.

My Ride
    G37X

I ran WS70's for the last 6 years, and have XI-3 this year. The Blizzaks seem to be way better than the X-Ice on the bit of winter we've had so far.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by relyt92 View Post
    I ran WS70's for the last 6 years, and have XI-3 this year. The Blizzaks seem to be way better than the X-Ice on the bit of winter we've had so far.
    XI3 have been the most disappointing winter tire I’ve ever tried. They are not good at any one single thing, except maybe tread life. They are particularly bad for dry/wet road performance and feedback I find. I much prefer the WS80 as a similar tire.

My Ride
    G37X

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    XI3 have been the most disappointing winter tire I’ve ever tried. They are not good at any one single thing, except maybe tread life. They are particularly bad for dry/wet road performance and feedback I find. I much prefer the WS80 as a similar tire.
    Yeah the 5 year old WS70's honestly seemed to outperform these. I'm glad I got them for cheap or I'd be even more disappointed in them.

My Ride
    13 AUDI A4, 14 TUNDRA SR5, 12 VW GOLF TDI

Quote Originally Posted by arcticcat522 View Post
    Are the studs worth it to you? I really don't want to add studs, but also need to be sure the wife is safe out there. Most driving is in the city, so I really thing the added noise is a deal breaker. I'm so torn.
    I think it's worth every extra penny. As for the added noise, It doesn't really bother me soon as it's over 50km/hr. Most of my driving is on Glenmore/Sarcee/Highway1 so I guess I am ok with it. I can see it being an issue if you are only driving in city traffic.

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-06-2020 at 05:10 PM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    I loved the XI3 in snow and ice, but you’re right, it’s terrible in dry and wet roads. It’s not ideal for Calgary at all. Might as well get Hakkas.

With that said, really impressed with the PA5s. It’s a step up in actual snow and ice performance compared to PA4s, closing up on full winter tire performance. Nothing compares in dry cold conditions. It’s like a summer tire in the winter.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by eglove View Post
    The stud noise will disappear on anything snow - and they will wear out a touch from use as well, which will diminish the noise.

But man, driving on #1 last winter to Radium, I was pretty much the only one (in a lowly civic) going the speed limit of 90 through the park - comfortably, with studs. Everyone else (SUVs) was doddling along at 50-60.

The roads were plowed to a hard pack snow.
    Last edited by revelations; 11-17-2019 at 01:39 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast