Quantcast
Winter tire recommendations - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Winter tire recommendations

My Ride
    bus

Is kal tire still the only ones to buy Nokian’s from?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by redblack View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is kal tire still the only ones to buy Nokian’s from?
    Unfortunately, yes. You can get them elsewhere, they still buy it from Kaltire at wholesale.

That's why it ain't cheap. Monopoly.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    bus

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Unfortunately, yes. You can get them elsewhere, they still buy it from Kaltire at wholesale.

That's why it ain't cheap. Monopoly.
    Are they still pushing for mandatory wheel alignments with tire purchases? Last time I was there they said tire warranty was void if it was not done.

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    R3's aren't studded.

We were talking specifically about the Hakka 8's and 9's studded. I should've been more clear. Will edit.

Cheapest also is not in the vocabulary when talking about Hakka studded.
    I didn't realize everyone was running studded tires! Though I should've clued in when you compared them to the G3-Ice studded... I just thought the R3s were that good

Conveniently still, according to the Kal-Tire site, the R9s are the second cheapest option (and only $6 more per tire than the cheapest option, the R3s)... Lucky me, I guess.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

For those who are buying Budget performance tires, here is my feedback on two tires.

I have Kumho WP72 on Tesla #1. http://www.kumhotire.ca/en/tire/cate...9-A1C807A2A6B0
    I have Falken HS449 on Tesla #2. https://www.falkentire.com/tires/car...ter-hs449-tire

Both cars have 245/45/18

Noise: Winner is WP72 handsdown. The Falken's are fucking loud. I dare say louder than Blizzaks. The Kumho's are as quiet as Michelin's.
    Grip on dry cold pavement: Winner is WP72. Super grippy. Traction light doesn't go off often even with 450+ lbft. Turn-in is about the same, but grip limit is reached sooner on the Falkens. Traction light goes off on acceleration with the Falkens.
    Grip on snow: They are about the same. Nothing to write home about as they are both a performance winter tire.
    Grip on compact snow: Winner WP72. They seem to dig into the snow better. Lateral grip seems to be better served by the PA4 like tread pattern on the WP72.
    Grip on ice: Hands down, WP72. Kumho makes no mention of a Silica compound, but these are way better than the Falkens. I have to re-adjust following distances when I switch cars with the wife.

Can't comment on wear yet.

Why did I buy the HS449 on the second car? Partly to compare. The Silica compound mentioned is also what sold me on trying something different on the second car. Can't say I'll buy them again. Too loud and grip is worse than the Kumhos.

The WP72 is pretty equal to the Michelin PA4s that I ran on the E63. The Model 3 performance and the E63 wagon are similar weights. I'm sure Kumho copied the PA4 tread pattern cause it works. We will see about tire wear. The PA4 lasted 4 seasons with 75K km travelled on the car with over 600hp.

My Ride
    changes every year

It is unfortunate the you have to use kal-tire for nokians, but with all the cars and winter tires I've had I agree, studded hakka 9 are hands down, the best winter tires I've ever had.

Next year I'm due for new tires so I'll definitely spend the money on them again.

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

Here are the results of the latest NAF tire tests: http://www.skstuds.ca/2020/01/15/the...tals-flexstud/

Continental VikingContact 7 is killing it for a studless tire and are now available in Canada. It would be interesting to see how they compare to R3's on dry roads.

Quote Originally Posted by gpomp View Post
    Here are the results of the latest NAF tire tests: http://www.skstuds.ca/2020/01/15/the...tals-flexstud/

Continental VikingContact 7 is killing it for a studless tire and are now available in Canada. It would be interesting to see how they compare to R3's on dry roads.
    seems to be very cleaver engineering, yet the Nokian Hakka's are probably still reign supreme for the most extreme ice/snow and cold conditions.

I'll say this, my Hakka 8 studded way outperforms the R3s on my truck... my truck needs to be in 4x4 to match acceleration but the lack of studs is a significant compromise.

Is it perfectly acceptable? absolutely. In fact most half decent winter tires in Calgary are... but I drive 93 almost every weekend and when the roads are good, well thats just a bonus.

Convinced my friend to get the Nordman 7 studded, which are the older and legendary Hakka 7s... He went a size down on a smaller rim with more profile, and the grip on his GTI is stellar.

I think the Nordman 7 studded is the best compromise for price and performance - even from Kal Tire

My Ride
    Silverado

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    Driven in some really icy conditions and the defenders held up very well. Definitely better than some cheap shit chinese winter tire.
    -29 is definitely limiting traction on the backend of my silverado. No issues stopping.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

So though this deep freeze, my Pilot Alpin 5’s performed spectacularly. For a performance winter, it has the traction of a true winter tire, even on ice. Massive step up from the Pilot Alpin 4s. The only downside is wear, I seem to have worn it more than 50% over 2 winters. Roughly double the wear rate of the PA4s. By far the best all around winter tire I’ve used.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4