Quantcast
Winter tire recommendations - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Winter tire recommendations

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Quote Originally Posted by arcticcat522 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are the studs worth it to you? I really don't want to add studs, but also need to be sure the wife is safe out there. Most driving is in the city, so I really thing the added noise is a deal breaker. I'm so torn.
    I have studs on my ‘18 F150. Nokian Hakkas + studs is pretty tankish.

I have ZERO issue anywhere so far. Sound wise? 20% more.

I’m mostly highway too. It’s not crazy for sound, but if your vehicle is quiet to begin with then you’re good.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by r3ccOs View Post
    Many many threads, but I think it all depends on what you want and your budget.

but BAR NONE, the best Truck A/T for the Winter I've used is the Nokian Rotiiva... no idea why, but it works in ALL conditions perfect. From towing, putting the boat in and out of ramps, Icy conditions, and deepass snow, jesus those Rotiivas are amazing.

No way the Rotiiva can compete in offroading Dirt/Mud/Rock like a Duratrac BFG KO (which I've ran both before) but it is the best multipurpose tire I've used with amazing on-road mannerism... Only other would be Michelin LTX which is very good on the road, but they fill up in the deep stuff and are not at all made for anything off pavement.
    Interesting, I put some Rotiva's on my last truck (2015 GMC Sierra) and hated them, they were no better than my mostly worn OEM Goodyear Wrangler SR-A's in snow or on ice. For the new truck I ordered some Blizzak DMV2's, no more dinking around with winter rated stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by 94boosted View Post
    Interesting, I put some Rotiva's on my last truck (2015 GMC Sierra) and hated them, they were no better than my mostly worn OEM Goodyear Wrangler SR-A's in snow or on ice. For the new truck I ordered some Blizzak DMV2's, no more dinking around with winter rated stuff.
    There is absolutely not replacement for true Winters even on a heavy truck with part-time 4 engaged.

You also bought a really premier Winter tire at that There are conditions however I’ve been in where the tread depth of the A/Ts have helped, but that is few and far between and I’ll too myself go to a full winter next time.

In comparison to Winter rated ATs... Ive used/tried Wildcountry XTX, Duratrac studded, Michelline LTX and LTX defenders, Cooper AT/Ws and the Rotiivas were the best of the bunch there.

My Ride
    Silverado

Driven in some really icy conditions and the defenders held up very well. Definitely better than some cheap shit chinese winter tire.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Not trying to disprove winters but I have been extremely happy with my Goodyear LT Duratracs this season. Never see my TCS light unless I’m purposely trying to light up the tires ( which it will even do in the summer ). Have left me wanting for nothing.

Had an asshat in a GLE go from 120 to 30 on the transcanada 50 feet in front of me yesterday which was concerning, had no problem stopping though.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    POS

Quote Originally Posted by arcticcat522 View Post
    Are the studs worth it to you? I really don't want to add studs, but also need to be sure the wife is safe out there. Most driving is in the city, so I really thing the added noise is a deal breaker. I'm so torn.
    After years of pondering studs vs no studs I said f it this year and got some Nokian’s studded. There’s only noise at low speeds like under 30, then there’s really no noise after that. Grip wise they are good and much better than the x-ice I’ve been using. This is on a awd suv and same as you I got these for the wife and kids that just started driving.

My Ride
    2022 X2M

Quote Originally Posted by Darkane View Post
    I have studs on my ‘18 F150. Nokian Hakkas + studs is pretty tankish.

I have ZERO issue anywhere so far. Sound wise? 20% more.

I’m mostly highway too. It’s not crazy for sound, but if your vehicle is quiet to begin with then you’re good.
    I just picked up a F-150 and was looking for some winters, the Wrangler AT's performed well driving it home the 24th but I have never ran a vehicle in the winter without winters. I wasn't going to go stud this time because my last two vehicles seemed to perform the same with and without studs. Maybe I will just go back to studs just in case after hearing this.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Quote Originally Posted by Kavy View Post
    I just picked up a F-150 and was looking for some winters, the Wrangler AT's performed well driving it home the 24th but I have never ran a vehicle in the winter without winters. I wasn't going to go stud this time because my last two vehicles seemed to perform the same with and without studs. Maybe I will just go back to studs just in case after hearing this.
    You won’t be disappointed.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

I got studded winters (Kumho Wintercraft WI31) for the first time this year and I'll be getting studded tires again. Feels great with the G37xS's AWD system.

Next time I'm thinking of getting the Pirelli Winter Zeros that come studded from the factory.

My Ride
    4Runner TRD Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    I found duratracs were "ok" the first year, then absolute garbage from then on. I'm running dedicated winters on the tacoma now, mostly for backcountry skiing purposes and being able to get to the mountains and back. Had a couple freaky drives on the 1 before having winters where you felt like you were floating, using duratracs. Dont need to add stress to my life! Duratracs are great on snow, but absolute garbage on blown-in ice, like headed E-W on the 1.
    I agree, my set has about 25k on them and am starting to see that they aren't performing as good. Going to invest in a dedicated winter tire.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkane View Post
    You won’t be disappointed.
    I've never had issues using more "winterish" type of A/T's like LTX, Rotiivas or the Cooper AT3 W(or AT/W) for my F150 BUT when its this cold, its 4x4 all the time.

So Kal-tire got a buncha my cash.

I put on some hakka R3 SUVs and its night and day better in this type of condition and unstoppable in 4x4 on pavement. The only apprehension I have is with semi-slick conditions, whether putting it in 4x4 is too much for the drivetrain.

On my FWD Volvo, I put on Hakka R8 studded and Holy FUCK the traction is insane. I've had plenty of Winter tires from cheap to "premium", always preferred studded if they had the holes and honest the last "best" set I enjoyed were Gislaved Frost 5s.. but these Hakka's are night and day better than anything I've ever had.

There is no doubt in my mind that the Nokians are worth the couple dollars more.

On my FWD cars I've had cheap Cooper STs, goodyear Nordic CT specials to goodyear ultragrip, Gislaved Frost, Blizzak WS80, Nokian WR2, Michiline Xi3... and well, none compare.
    Last edited by r3ccOs; 01-15-2020 at 10:25 PM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

One of those 4A settings a lot of trucks have these days is far superior to 4wd on pavement. I think my owners manual goes as far as to say to never use 4WD of any kind on pavement.

I think I Mentioned this on another thread but yesterday was the first day I noticed my Duratracs being anything less than stellar, seems like performance falls off a cliff around -30.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

There is no doubt in my mind that the Nokians are worth the couple dollars more.
    This has been my experience as well. Though full disclosure, it is usually more than a couple dollars
    Ultracrepidarian

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post

I think I Mentioned this on another thread but yesterday was the first day I noticed my Duratracs being anything less than stellar, seems like performance falls off a cliff around -30.
    Yup pretty standard with anything that is not purely winter compounded to the extreme. I am still rolling on mine and can confirm, although I will say because I drive long distance with no stopping at highway speeds every day, they do get a bit better with a bit of rolling after 10/15 minutes again. Otherwise though, driving in this current deep freeze bullshit requires a bit more self control lol.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

On my FWD Volvo, I put on Hakka R8 studded and Holy FUCK the traction is insane. I've had plenty of Winter tires from cheap to "premium", always preferred studded if they had the holes and honest the last "best" set I enjoyed were Gislaved Frost 5s.. but these Hakka's are night and day better than anything I've ever had.
    In another winter tire thread I talked about giving the G3-Ice studded a try after being on Hakka 8's and 9's for years. They're supposed to be as good as the Hakka studded. First day of snow was pretty much WTF is this shit. Replaced them with Hakka 9's the next day and the difference is massive.

It's pretty hilarious in these conditions that it feels like driving in the rain on fresh Hakka 9's. Barely any ABS action unless you're full on racing stop.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

One of those 4A settings a lot of trucks have these days is far superior to 4wd on pavement. I think my owners manual goes as far as to say to never use 4WD of any kind on pavement.

If you used 4A everywhere it will still eat your front diff slowly. The system is not smart enough to full disengage when there’s too much grip and a bunch of load will build up in the front diff and slowly eat the bearings. Used to have tons of soccer moms coming in for noisy diffs after sales told them to leave it in 4A permanently.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    If you used 4A everywhere it will still eat your front diff slowly. The system is not smart enough to full disengage when there’s too much grip and a bunch of load will build up in the front diff and slowly eat the bearings. Used to have tons of soccer moms coming in for noisy diffs after sales told them to leave it in 4A permanently.
    Oh I don’t leave mine on 365 days a year, but if the roads are shit for a week and I want the extra traction and control then that’s when I use it. If that eats my diff I can live with that, no point having it if you can’t use it. As it’s definitely way better than leaving your truck in 4X

fact.

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

I put on some hakka R3... There is no doubt in my mind that the Nokians are worth the couple dollars more... and well, none compare.
    Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    This has been my experience as well. Though full disclosure, it is usually more than a couple dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ... Replaced them with Hakka's the next day and the difference is massive... It's pretty hilarious in these conditions that it feels like driving in the rain on fresh Hakkas...

So the consensus is Hakka R3s are the tire of choice?

Conveniently, in my case, they're the cheapest option available...
    Last edited by you&me; 01-16-2020 at 09:17 AM.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Oh I don’t leave mine on 365 days a year, but if the roads are shit for a week and I want the extra traction and control then that’s when I use it. If that eats my diff I can live with that, no point having it if you can’t use it. As it’s definitely way better than leaving your truck in 4X
    Yeah you’ll probably be fine, but if you really want to make it last I’d shift it into 2wd here and there just to release the wind up in the front diff from slip stick turning situations in this weather.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by you&me View Post
    So the consensus is Hakka R3s are the tire of choice?

Conveniently, in my case, they're the cheapest option available...
    R3's aren't studded.

We were talking specifically about the Hakka 8's and 9's studded. I should've been more clear. Will edit.

Cheapest also is not in the vocabulary when talking about Hakka studded.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast