Quantcast
Subaru Lifestyle - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Subaru Lifestyle

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Default Subaru Lifestyle

Looking at possibly getting a Subaru in the 04 to 08 vintage and I know with vehicle age there are known issues.

I know of the head gasket issues, possible valve guide issues, oil leaks and ring land failures.

I have inquired to Vex and received pricing from them on both types of their inspections and while I am sure their second tier inspections are valuable, I just find spending that money on top of a selling price a bit much.

I also know that the sohc are much easier and simpler than the sohc variants which is why they are probably more common.

But if someone was to look at a turbo variant what sort of things would be advisable to look at? One thing I heard was to start from a dead cold and see if there is any blue smoke? Is there any other pointers or things to look for?

Or does one just buy and run some tests yourself to see where things are and forge a battle plan?

Or maybe just stick to a NA version and not go the turbo route?

My Ride
    *The First*

I hate Subaru and I know almost nothing about them because I just don't care.
    So why post?
    Well, because I strongly suspect that all these "known issues" are radically blown out of proportion because it's the 2% who've experienced them have #KeyboardWarriored it up. I was saying "ring landing" in my head while reading your post just waiting for it to show up and then bam! I'm pretty sure that I MAYBE know what a ring landing is, but I'll tell you I've sure heard about it being attached to Subaru and I still think that means nothing.
    Ever since I owned a Mercedes W126 (which they made for well over a decade) and heard about the #AchillesHeel timing chain issues, I just realized that the internet is NOT helping some of these issues. Do their timing chains literally explode at 160,001km and they kept making them that way for another 8+ years?! No. Sometimes there is an issue and that's fair, but the internet will suck you into believing something else.

As mentioned, I don't give a shit about Subaru but if they actually had significant issues with ring landings and etc etc, don't you think they'd be on death's door financially? I mean - who the fuck would buy them if there was actually literally all these chronic issues??

My Ride
    SpecB

I have an '07, and my neighbour has an '08. It seems you are already aware of the main issues with this vintage. With mine, the main issue I have is oil consumption. I did the head gasket and had to do the radiator recently as well. I've had some minor MAF and knock issues which trip my CEL, and there have been quite a few recalls for my model (airbags, air pump, and a few others that I can't think of this second). The rest was what I'd consider normal wear and tear on the car and I am getting higher on the mileage on it. Compared to mine the Neighbour's was slightly worse on repair cost to date (valve and compression issues), but his is also still on the road.

mine is starting to show rust around the sunroof and gas tank area. But my previous car was a Mazda (so my rust standards are low)

I do like the car though and would buy another. I just need to check the oil levels frequently for this one compared to the rest of our fleet.
    Signatures are dumb..

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So why post?
    Well, because I strongly suspect that all these "known issues" are radically blown out of proportion because it's the 2% who've experienced them have #KeyboardWarriored it up. I was saying "ring landing" in my head while reading your post just waiting for it to show up and then bam! I'm pretty sure that I MAYBE know what a ring landing is, but I'll tell you I've sure heard about it being attached to Subaru and I still think that means nothing.
    Ever since I owned a Mercedes W126 (which they made for well over a decade) and heard about the #AchillesHeel timing chain issues, I just realized that the internet is NOT helping some of these issues. Do their timing chains literally explode at 160,001km and they kept making them that way for another 8+ years?! No. Sometimes there is an issue and that's fair, but the internet will suck you into believing something else.

As mentioned, I don't give a shit about Subaru but if they actually had significant issues with ring landings and etc etc, don't you think they'd be on death's door financially? I mean - who the fuck would buy them if there was actually literally all these chronic issues??
    Any post is valid to me.

I know why generally things like ring lands fail and that is more user than mechanical due to poor fuel or upping boost on stock internals.

Quote Originally Posted by Gart View Post
    I have an '07, and my neighbour has an '08. It seems you are already aware of the main issues with this vintage. With mine, the main issue I have is oil consumption. I did the head gasket and had to do the radiator recently as well. I've had some minor MAF and knock issues which trip my CEL, and there have been quite a few recalls for my model (airbags, air pump, and a few others that I can't think of this second). The rest was what I'd consider normal wear and tear on the car and I am getting higher on the mileage on it. Compared to mine the Neighbour's was slightly worse on repair cost to date (valve and compression issues), but his is also still on the road.

mine is starting to show rust around the sunroof and gas tank area. But my previous car was a Mazda (so my rust standards are low)

I do like the car though and would buy another. I just need to check the oil levels frequently for this one compared to the rest of our fleet.
    From what I understand oil consumption comes from head gasket or poor oil used or not changing oil enough.

I do agree like a lot of things that the internet makes something small seem very large.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I’ve owned various vintages of Subarus and never had a major failure that wasn’t self inflicted. With good maintenance and not bagging the shit out of them they can last a long time. Try to avoid anything modified in my opinion.

My Ride
    Nissan x2

I had an 06 STi with a bigger turbo, supporting mods etc that I autocrossed regularly and drove over 100k in the span of 6 years. Never a single issue.

My Ride
    06 S2000

I had an 04 STi with a larger turbo that I had for 8 years, and put 100k on, and I didn't have any issues (that also wasn't self-inflicted). That being said, the last owner I knew about had gone through a turbo and possibly 2 engines? It's all about how you treat it.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    2020 Tacoma DCSB

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    So why post?
    Well, because I strongly suspect that all these "known issues" are radically blown out of proportion because it's the 2% who've experienced them have #KeyboardWarriored it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by LilDrunkenSmurf View Post
    It's all about how you treat it.

I'll echo' these two points. For every "bad" thing you see online Facebook/ Forums/ etc. how many "good" things are there existing that nobody has reason to post about? I'm on my 3rd Subaru, I had two STI EJ's before, both ran well for the 2 to 3 years I owned them, but I also took very good care and did all maintenance and almost never bagged on them.

When the 2015+'s came out there was lots of "unknown" with them since it was a new thing. Some people had theirs blown up within 1000km, and meanwhile others like me are at 125,000km's and baby it, still runs excellent. You see guys who are launching off and red-lining practically every single light, and then guys who drive normal...

If you buy a 10 to 15 year old car though you should be going into that expecting some potential repairs and maintenance.. but I'd say that would apply to all makes of cars our there IMO.

Subaru's are also very easy to work on, and there's soooo much information online for everything you'd ever need to know!

When you turn off traction control and drive one in the snow, it just gives you a big cheeky grin every time.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

15 year old Subaru is probably a better choice than anyyhing euro.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Passed a 2008ish vintage legacy being loaded onto a flat deck yesterday in my similar vintage euro... that has never been loaded onto a flat deck and I thought to myself “good thing he was able to splurge his savings on that Canada Goose jacket”

Cause the issue with subaru is when they break... they really break

My Ride
    1989 MA70, 2006 UZN215

Figure I'd share my 0.02 cents on this...

Having worked at an independent shop, we had our share of turbocharged and N/A Subaru's come in. If any of them was an EJ25, we would have a bet on how much oil it had on the dipstick, and most of the time it was very low. Having two Subaru's myself, I really enjoy the way they drive, they are just really fun to drive! Back to the mechanics, if it wasn't knocking as a result of low oil pressure or lack there of, the headgaskets would leak. If the headgaskets wasn't leaking, it was an oil burner. This is not the car for someone who doesn't check their oil, or has the mentality of "It's a newer car, I don't have to check the oil", if that's the case, they'll be on the side of the road waiting for hooks. Heck, I've seen a 2016 STi, with 22,000K come in the shop with not a trace of oil on the dipstick. I would absolutely get into another knowing I would get raped again for another engine, but that's just much I like driving them. (05-07 STi's). Other than that, if anyone asks if they should buy a Subaru, I could never recommend one to someone in good faith.

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    Subaru Lifestyle?
    As a start...

Originally posted by sputnik
    Cell providers are the next Blockbuster video stores.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by CelicaST-162 View Post

Having worked at an independent shop, we had our share of turbocharged and N/A Subaru's come in. If any of them was an EJ25, we would have a bet on how much oil it had on the dipstick, and most of the time it was very low. Having two Subaru's myself, I really enjoy the way they drive, they are just really fun to drive! Back to the mechanics, if it wasn't knocking as a result of low oil pressure or lack there of, the headgaskets would leak. If the headgaskets wasn't leaking, it was an oil burner. This is not the car for someone who doesn't check their oil, or has the mentality of "It's a newer car, I don't have to check the oil", if that's the case, they'll be on the side of the road waiting for hooks. Heck, I've seen a 2016 STi, with 22,000K come in the shop with not a trace of oil on the dipstick. I would absolutely get into another knowing I would get raped again for another engine, but that's just much I like driving them. (05-07 STi's). Other than that, if anyone asks if they should buy a Subaru, I could never recommend one to someone in good faith.
    Care to explain this? Interested in why.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
    As a start...
    I'm older than the generations who think flat brims and vaping is cool and been using lanyards long before they were "hip"

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    Care to explain this? Interested in why.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm older than the generations who think flat brims and vaping is cool and been using lanyards long before they were "hip"
    haha, lanyards had a 6 month window in 1999.
    Originally posted by sputnik
    Cell providers are the next Blockbuster video stores.

My Ride
    2020 Tacoma DCSB

I'll sell you my 2016 WRX for cheaper than you'll find a 07' STI for

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by Kijho View Post
    I'll sell you my 2016 WRX for cheaper than you'll find a 07' STI for
    LOL I'm good but thanks

My Ride
    1989 MA70, 2006 UZN215

Absolutely,

I have had many friends who have owned Subaru's, most have ended up in situations where they're faced with a repair bill that's worth more than what the car is worth. On their part, they should have been more mindful about the maintenance on their cars. (Ie checking engine oil). But, they had to learn the hard way. It all boils down to that engine, if it's not leaking headgaskets, it's burning oil and if it's not burning oil the headgaskets leak... or lastly it knocks for no reason (crankcase full of oil). If it's someone who knows to check these critical items, sure... It's a great car to have. If it's someone who considers a car an A to B car and has no interest in wanting to exercise these extra precautionary steps then no, absolutely not a car I would recommend.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Absolutely,

I have had many friends who have owned Subaru's, most have ended up in situations where they're faced with a repair bill that's worth more than what the car is worth. On their part, they should have been more mindful about the maintenance on their cars. (Ie checking engine oil). But, they had to learn the hard way. It all boils down to that engine, if it's not leaking headgaskets, it's burning oil and if it's not burning oil the headgaskets leak... or lastly it knocks for no reason (crankcase full of oil). If it's someone who knows to check these critical items, sure... It's a great car to have. If it's someone who considers a car an A to B car and has no interest in wanting to exercise these extra precautionary steps then no, absolutely not a car I would recommend.
    So this post sort of goes right in line with the majority of what happens to these cars.. owner fault.

Mind you there are obviously things that do happen outside of the owner but lets be honest.. Subarus aren't really what I'd consider a A to B car even though they were marketed as such. I'd say if someone wanted a simple A to B car that doesn't care if you forget the oil a bit.. get a Honda.

As a person is mechanically inclined and can build and rebuild stuff and understands maintenance.. I think as long as you found one with either no issues or minimal issues and it was taken care of, it should be good.

My Ride
    1989 MA70, 2006 UZN215

Absolutely! Someone that want's a car that they don't have to put too much thought into other than putting in gas and bringing it into service on time...Perfect, a Honda or Toyota will do. Someone that understands the Subaru "ism's" and is willing to deal with it, and wants to have great value for their money (AWD) great!

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

I've got 2 Outbacks. Both are 2012 models and have the EJ25 motor. One has 121,000 km and the other has 225,000 km. I've aware of the headgasket issues and have been keeping an eye out for them. Whenever the car goes in for a service at the local independent dealer, I ask them to do a quick pressure test on the system. So far, I've been fortunate and haven't experienced any gasket issues. The car with 225,000 km burns a small amount of oil between oil changes but nothing that requires a top up. I'm more concerned about the CVT transmission in these cars. They are a known problem area and the cost to repair is more than what the cars are worth.

Other than that, they are a great A to B car. Reliable, great in winter with snow tires, good on gas etc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast