Quantcast
Traffic Ticket question - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Traffic Ticket question

Default Traffic Ticket question

No flaming and legitimate advice please.

I have a clean driving record for the past 9 years. I got a speeding ticket near Airdrie and RCMP said I was going 155 in a 100 zone (no word of a lie I never hit a speed higher than 130). The RCMP wrote the ticket down to 149km

I retained a traffic paralegal that went to court for me and they refused to change the speed to 130 so the paralegal plead not guilty and set a court date.

In talking with people they say that the judge has an option to go back to the 155km speed and suspend my license if I lose.

Is any of these true and wondering what everyone would do in this situation

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Dash cam would have been more effective. You could have easily calculated your speed and shown the court.

Also, you could have plead guilty to a lesser charge - did they not accept that either?

Also, do you have larger diameter tires than stock?

why would they reduce your ticket down to 130 just because you said you weren't driving that speed? If the cop clocked you going that fast odds are you were.

I got hit doing 155 in a 100 zone and got a judge to reduce my fine to $275 or so by admitting I was speeding.

Arguing you weren't speeding will get you no where fast. I'd suggest taking a defensive driving course before court and then represent yourself in front of the judge and ask for mercy.

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dash cam would have been more effective. You could have easily calculated your speed and shown the court.

Also, you could have plead guilty to a lesser charge - did they not accept that either?

Also, do you have larger diameter tires than stock?
    I didn't have a dash cam at the time but I got one because of this incident. My stock tire size is 17 and my summer wheels are 18. Won't make much of a difference

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by gwill View Post
    why would they reduce your ticket down to 130 just because you said you weren't driving that speed? If the cop clocked you going that fast odds are you were.

I got hit doing 155 in a 100 zone and got a judge to reduce my fine to $275 or so by admitting I was speeding.

Arguing you weren't speeding will get you no where fast. I'd suggest taking a defensive driving course before court and then represent yourself in front of the judge and ask for mercy.
    I admitted to speeding at 130 and told the paralegal and the RCMP officer at the time that it was the maximum speed I had gone at a few points of my trip back home to pass slower moving vehicles.

My argument was give me the ticket and points for 130 and I'll move on but the Airdrie courts refused and said the RCMP already did me a favor.

My court date is in 2 weeks, dont know if I have enough time and my record as of now is clean

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by jabjab View Post
    I didn't have a dash cam at the time but I got one because of this incident. My stock tire size is 17 and my summer wheels are 18. Won't make much of a difference
    Thats not true - you could easily have a 10kph difference. The faster you go, the more its off.

Thats not true - you could easily have a 10kph difference. The faster you go, the more its off.
    Didn't know this but at this point I'm just worried that I could lose my licence if this traffic paralegal does a shitty job

Didn't know this but at this point I'm just worried that I could lose my licence if this traffic paralegal does a shitty job
    Your over thinking things. Represent yourself, save your money from the para legal. Admit you were speeding. Offer an excuse that you passed someone and remind them this is your first traffic offense.

The judge will take it easy on you if your driving record is as good as you say it is. Taking the defensive driving course would show them your serious about the offense.

My Ride
    Saab 9-5

Wild guess you still have your GDL? go to court plead your cause if you want i'll come and hold your hand.
    Last edited by cancer man; 10-30-2019 at 09:48 PM. Reason: re-read ops post.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/34/The_Smoking_Man_(X-Files).jpg

Your over thinking things. Represent yourself, save your money from the para legal. Admit you were speeding. Offer an excuse that you passed someone and remind them this is your first traffic offense.

The judge will take it easy on you if your driving record is as good as you say it is. Taking the defensive driving course would show them your serious about the offense.
    Reason I went with a paralegal is that I thought it would be better in a small city court. I haven't paid them anything yet which is good.

I would plead my case but this was set for trial and he pled not guilty so there is a chance they say no and convict me of thr 155 instead of the 149. I can't have a 6 month suspension and whatever that fine is

Yupp, it's entirely possible that 130 on your speedo was quite a bit faster in reality. What is the stock tire's aspect ratio/width versus your 18" tire?

The tires I just put on one of our vehicles went from a 65 series to a 70 series and the speedo reads about 6% low now. My suburban is the other way, speedo is about 2% fast.
    Last edited by speedog; 10-31-2019 at 12:20 AM.
    Will fuck off, again.

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    Yupp, it's entirely possible that 130 on your speedo was quite a bit faster in reality. What is the stock tire's aspect ratio/width versus your 18" tire?

The tires I just put on one of our vehicles went from a 65 series to a 70 series and the speedo reads about 6% low now. My suburban is the other way, speedo is about 2% fast.
    Stock size is 225/45 /17 and tires that were on at the time was 225 40 18.

Question is do I run the risk of the judge trying me for 155 or just pay the fine alongside demerits that come with it?

My Ride
    This and that.

If you're charged with a certain speeding ticket, no judge is going to increase your ticket to more than that. So if you're facing a 49 kmh ticket, then that's as bad as it can get.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    If you're charged with a certain speeding ticket, no judge is going to increase your ticket to more than that. So if you're facing a 49 kmh ticket, then that's as bad as it can get.
    This^.
    Don't buy into fear mongering nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    There are two speeds written on the ticket. On the first black line it says 155 and below that it reads 149 on a yellow ticket. Points and and different paralegal confirmed with me that the judge is within reason to find me guilty on 155 if he chooses to but don't know how often that happens. In a small city like Airdrie i see it more of a chance of doing this

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Stock size is 225/45 /17 and tires that were on at the time was 225 40 18.

Question is do I run the risk of the judge trying me for 155 or just pay the fine alongside demerits that come with it?
    These two tires sizes have virtually identical (outside) diameter, and at 130kmh the difference in speedo is about 0.5km/h. So this can't be used as an argument.

There are two speeds written on the ticket. On the first black line it says 155 and below that it reads 149 on a yellow ticket. Points and and different paralegal confirmed with me that the judge is within reason to find me guilty on 155 if he chooses to but don't know how often that happens. In a small city like Airdrie i see it more of a chance of doing this
    You don't need a paralegal so of course theyll be telling you stuff to freak you out. It doesnt seem to matter what people are saying you seem to have your mind set on a specific outcome already.

What's the paralegal going to cost you? When you get to trial what's your defense going to be? These are questions you should be asking the person you hired.

In my case in small town traffic court I had the prosecutor tell me my fine would be $1000 and if I went in front of the judge she would ask for more. She threatend to increase my fine significantly. When I got in front of the judge It was $275.

No judge will throw the book at someone who's never had a ticket in 9 years. Your para legal will cost more then the ticket.

My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '18 Tundra

This won't help fighting the ticket but if you are ever in this situation again you can ask to Cop to see the speed that was locked in on the radar gun. If you were honestly not driving 155km then there is no way that's on his radar gun.

You don't need a paralegal so of course theyll be telling you stuff to freak you out. It doesnt seem to matter what people are saying you seem to have your mind set on a specific outcome already.

What's the paralegal going to cost you? When you get to trial what's your defense going to be? These are questions you should be asking the person you hired.

In my case in small town traffic court I had the prosecutor tell me my fine would be $1000 and if I went in front of the judge she would ask for more. She threatend to increase my fine significantly. When I got in front of the judge It was $275.

No judge will throw the book at someone who's never had a ticket in 9 years. Your para legal will cost more then the ticket.
    Well at first I went to go see points and they wouldn't take the ticket on saying that they won't reduce it further cause to them it appears that RCMP saved my license already. I then consulted Nadeau and Associates and they said he could get it reduce that the first appearance. I agreed to it cause paying him 100 bucks so i don't have to go to Airdire was more of a convenience charge in my eyes. He came back and said they wouldn't budge at all (just like points said would happen) and he plead not guility and set up a trial date.

Now i got worried because Nadeau hasn't taken any payment from me and said if he isn't able to do anything he won't charge me but now i just got paranoid that he might come back and say , "couldn't do anything , sorry but you also lost your drivers license)

I've requested disclouse for the past few months and i still haven't received it. My defense is that I wasn't going any faster than 130 at my highest speed on my way home so i'm admitting to speeding at 130 and will pay the fine and take the dermits based on that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ca_Silvia13 View Post
    This won't help fighting the ticket but if you are ever in this situation again you can ask to Cop to see the speed that was locked in on the radar gun. If you were honestly not driving 155km then there is no way that's on his radar gun.
    He was in a moving marked car that I coudn't see for a long way ahead and i doubt he can see me either. His radar could have caught anyone going that speed is how i see it and he sees a sports car come up next and assumed it was me perhaps? There were other cars behind me and in front of me at times.

My Ride
    V8s

No flaming and legitimate advice please.
    Usually a flag for incoming silliness.

Proof:
    He was in a moving marked car that I coudn't see for a long way ahead and i doubt he can see me either. His radar could have caught anyone going that speed is how i see it and he sees a sports car come up next and assumed it was me perhaps? There were other cars behind me and in front of me at times.
    Do you seriously think they could issue (and uphold tickets) if the radar just scans everyone on the road and officers are choosing the car they think is the fastest?

If you were doing 130, and someone cruised by you at 155, you wouldn't be saying "oh could have been anyone", because it would be painfully obvious there was someone else right beside you going way over the limit. You'd be saying "I was doing 130, but the douchebag in the red 320i absolutely flew by me".
    Last edited by bjstare; 10-31-2019 at 08:48 AM.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

I've requested disclouse for the past few months and i still haven't received it.
    Can you not delay the court date until you received the disclosure? They should cut you some slack on that front at least.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast