Quantcast
Traffic Ticket question - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Traffic Ticket question

My Ride
    2002 330xi, 1992 Miata, 1996 Spec Miata, 2012 Ram

That sort of a reduction request generally takes place (but not exclusively) at the first appearance, which you had the paralegal attend. Unfortunately in Airdrie the crown tends to avoid giving too many reductions for the last number of years.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by jabjab View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes you're right, its not very difficult and I over complicate many things , i just feel that i'm agreeing to a speed where as the RCMP was not even correct and that bothers me. POINTS actually told me to pay it and be done with it, they didn't want to take on the ticket.
    Should have taken that advice.

This is not ON/BC where 50 overs comes with 7 day suspension and impound. McIver is looking into something similar but not reality yet.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Is there any difference in the 149kph ticket penalty vs the 130kph you were allegedly going? If not - this entire thread is moot.

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    Is there any difference in the 149kph ticket penalty vs the 130kph you were allegedly going? If not - this entire thread is moot.

I believe 2 points and 150 dollars difference.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I just feel that i'm agreeing to a speed where as the RCMP was not even correct and that bothers me.
    There's no prize for "being right" here. all you get is stress and hassle. You need to be zen about the situation and just pay the ticket.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

The number of Alberta demerit points for speeding will depend on how fast you were caught driving. There are 4 speeding ticket demerit points categories :

1-15 km/hr over : 2 demerits
    16-30 km/hr over : 3 demerits
    31-50 km/hr over : 4 demerits
    51+ km/hr over : 6 demerits

Your speeding ticket fines in Alberta are based on the exact number of km/hr over the speed limit you are clocked at. Therefore your fines are directly attributed to speed. Here is a summary chart of speeding ticket fines in Alberta :

1-15 km/hr over : $78 - $120
    16-30 km/hr over : $140 - $239
    31-50 km/hr over : $253 - $474
    51+ km/hr over : $650 - $2000, plus the potential for a driver’s license suspension

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    That sort of a reduction request generally takes place (but not exclusively) at the first appearance, which you had the paralegal attend. Unfortunately in Airdrie the crown tends to avoid giving too many reductions for the last number of years.
    Which explains why they didn't budge at all vs in Calgary I'm sure I would have gotten some sort of reduction, especially given my record. I submitted my 10 year abstract to the paralegal as well and they still didn't care of my clean record

My Ride
    ATS, XC90

My defense is that I wasn't going any faster than 130 at my highest speed on my way home so i'm admitting to speeding at 130 and will pay the fine and take the dermits based on that.
    I'm not sure you're clear on what a defense is, but that's not it. That's your opinion, preference. Murderers don't get to say "I was with him earlier when we were drinking, but I didn't kill him so I'll just pay the fine for littering". A defense outlines how and why you couldn't have been doing what you're accused of. You don't have that, so your best option was, and still is, pay the ticket and move along.

It sounds too much like your biggest fear is losing your license, yet when you're offered an option to pay and move on, you get greedy and want to pay LESS.

Pay it, keep your ability to drive intact, be happy that you now have a dashcam for next time, and consider it a lesson learned.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

I'm actually not too sure how it works that is why i'm asking. I have no idea how he got me anywhere near 155 and its frustrating. He did mention he got alot of complaints about sports cars speeding earlier in the day, I thought that comment was odd and I told him those sports cars aren't me so I don't know why that matters.

- - - Updated - - -
    I guess I could delay it until I receive it but I also could be pissing the court system there off and thus eliminating any chance i have to get it reduced.
    How would you be pissing off the court system there by pushing the court date? Your worries here are unwarranted.

Not a GDL , i've been driving for over 19 years.
    You can still be GDL no matter how long you've been driving. It doesn't go away with experience, you still need to get your full license.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozer View Post

Pay it, keep your ability to drive intact, be happy that you now have a dashcam for next time, and consider it a lesson learned.
    Or just get a radar detector for highway driving.

My Ride
    06 S2000

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    You can still be GDL no matter how long you've been driving. It doesn't go away with experience, you still need to get your full license.
    I think he means he's been driving since before GDL was implemented.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    Mazda 3

What kind of sports car?
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Quote Originally Posted by Doozer View Post
    I'm not sure you're clear on what a defense is, but that's not it. That's your opinion, preference. Murderers don't get to say "I was with him earlier when we were drinking, but I didn't kill him so I'll just pay the fine for littering". A defense outlines how and why you couldn't have been doing what you're accused of. You don't have that, so your best option was, and still is, pay the ticket and move along.

It sounds too much like your biggest fear is losing your license, yet when you're offered an option to pay and move on, you get greedy and want to pay LESS.

I don't look at it as greedy, I look at it as it being wrong to accuse someone of a speed that they were not doing just because they can. I am leaning towards just paying the ticket and not having this linger on but I just don't want the 4 points on my record and possible effecting my good insurance rates.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    How would you be pissing off the court system there by pushing the court date? Your worries here are unwarranted.

Or just get a radar detector for highway driving.
    Small courts are a little different than larger courts so if a judge is having a bad day, they can take it out on someone. They have a range of decision they can make and you catch one in a bad mood then you get the worst penalty.

My Ride
    3.5L 7th Gen Accord

Just a thought, not sure it would work, but did you have any GPS devices in the car? I.e. navigation etc? Wasn't there something back in the day that you could get this data from the GPS device and they pretty much track everything including how fast you were going to show the cop's that you weren't traveling the suggested speed limit?

At least it would be something more than just saying I was only going 130km/h...

if you think the cop lied you have an uphill battle to prove. Of which during court you wont stand a chance. Trust me I'm all for holding cops accountable.

I went out and bought a dash cam the first time i was wronged by police during a traffic stop. I would suggest you invest in a camera from here and take this as a lesson learned.

In the end theres a few scenarios that will happen. I could see the prosecutor at your trial agreeing to take your ticket down to the 130 speed but its going to cost you a half a days work. If he doesnt and it goes to trial you may or may not get to fight it until the afternoon and all that time will have been spent for what??

No ones going to admit they over clocked your speed. You wont be able to prove this in court as well. So the question is what are you hoping for? No matter what you do you'll have demerit points on your record.

Overall I think your confused and dont know what you want. You've vented, everyone's listened. Now go buy a dash cam in case this happens again!

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

/thread.

gwill has summed it up succinctly.

Quote Originally Posted by gwill View Post
    if you think the cop lied you have an uphill battle to prove. Of which during court you wont stand a chance. Trust me I'm all for holding cops accountable.

I went out and bought a dash cam the first time i was wronged by police during a traffic stop. I would suggest you invest in a camera from here and take this as a lesson learned.

In the end theres a few scenarios that will happen. I could see the prosecutor at your trial agreeing to take your ticket down to the 130 speed but its going to cost you a half a days work. If he doesnt and it goes to trial you may or may not get to fight it until the afternoon and all that time will have been spent for what??

No ones going to admit they over clocked your speed. You wont be able to prove this in court as well. So the question is what are you hoping for? No matter what you do you'll have demerit points on your record.

Overall I think your confused and dont know what you want. You've vented, everyone's listened. Now go buy a dash cam in case this happens again!
    I've bought a dash cam one week after this happened and its in my car now, so i've learned a lesson. I've also purchased a radar detector for long highway trips. What I want is to pay the fine and take the dermits on the actual speed I was guility of but if it comes at chance of getting charged for a higher offense I'd just swallow the pill.

My Ride
    toyotas, mitsu, and a ford

Sucks but its overwhelmingly the same advice throughout the thread.

your insurance is going to go up. Ins Co. don't go by demerits. They simply classify it as a minor or major moving violation which would be no difference between 130km and 149km. A suspension is a big bad mark but your really not at risk of one if you have a clean driving record worst case is your at 6/15 demerits (unless of course you really piss the judge off as he does have the option to reinstate the original speed)

Cop already gave you a break even if you don't think so. For 50 over he would of had the option to impound your car for a day but he decided not to.

Cops marking a ticket down to a lesser charge is a super old trick that they've been doing for ages. Theres no way a judge is going to believe your story i was only going 130 when its basically your word against his and he sees he already wrote the ticket at a lesser speed. You have no proof and judges don't want a bunch of excuses. Airdrie's known for not being very forgiving.

There is no point in fighting this. Even taking it to points or your paralegal was pointless as their cost is probably close to the cost difference between the 130 and 149 tickets.

Alright, advice noted. I'm going to go online now and pay the ticket. It's really not looking like I'll have much success and its a live and learn lesson.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3