Quantcast
Traffic Ticket question - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Traffic Ticket question

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by Ca_Silvia13 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This won't help fighting the ticket but if you are ever in this situation again you can ask to Cop to see the speed that was locked in on the radar gun. If you were honestly not driving 155km then there is no way that's on his radar gun.
    No, not in Canada. The police records what they saw/read in their notes and then you can request disclosure.

Thats an American thing (varies by state) as they have completely different rule of law there.

My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '18 Tundra

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    No, not in Canada. The police records what they saw/read in their notes and then you can request disclosure.

Thats an American thing (varies by state) as they have completely different rule of law there.
    I've done it 3 times, once in BC and twice here.

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    Usually a flag for incoming silliness.

Proof:

Do you seriously think they could issue (and uphold tickets) if the radar just scans everyone on the road and officers are choosing the car they think is the fastest?

If you were doing 130, and someone cruised by you at 155, you wouldn't be saying "oh could have been anyone", because it would be painfully obvious there was someone else right beside you going way over the limit. You'd be saying "I was doing 130, but the douchebag in the red 320i absolutely flew by me".
    I'm actually not too sure how it works that is why i'm asking. I have no idea how he got me anywhere near 155 and its frustrating. He did mention he got alot of complaints about sports cars speeding earlier in the day, I thought that comment was odd and I told him those sports cars aren't me so I don't know why that matters.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Can you not delay the court date until you received the disclosure? They should cut you some slack on that front at least.
    I guess I could delay it until I receive it but I also could be pissing the court system there off and thus eliminating any chance i have to get it reduced.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I've done it 3 times, once in BC and twice here.
    You can ask and some members will show, but there is no legal obligation for the members to do so.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Read through the thread and all this does is remind me of the unfortunate fact that cops are fallible but protected by their word and reputation at our expense.

Look at all the trouble @gwill went through himself just to basically get nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post
    Read through the thread and all this does is remind me of the unfortunate fact that cops are fallible but protected by their word and reputation at our expense.

Look at all the trouble @gwill went through himself just to basically get nowhere.
    It's really the princpal on this and that is what frustrates me is that even though i'm admitting at speeding (at a lesser speed) it almost seems like I'm being strong armed to just pay whatever speed the RCMP officers says I was doing.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I am confused how this could possibly lead to loss of license. Someone mentioned a GDL? Is that what's happening here?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I am confused how this could possibly lead to loss of license. Someone mentioned a GDL? Is that what's happening here?
    Points and a different traffic ticket defense place stated that since there are two speeds on the ticket (155 and then 149km/hr) then its plausible that if found guility the judge can find me guility on the higher speed of 155. In that case, its over 51km an hour and is grounds for a suspension.

My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '18 Tundra

Was this a 100 or the 110 zone in Airdrie? If it's a 100 zone how did you not get a court appearance?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by jabjab View Post
    Points and a different traffic ticket defense place stated that since there are two speeds on the ticket (155 and then 149km/hr) then its plausible that if found guility the judge can find me guility on the higher speed of 155. In that case, its over 51km an hour and is grounds for a suspension.
    Speeding 51+ is only 6 demerits, and you need 15 (within 2 years)to lose your license. Unless things have changed since the last time I looked into it.

Was this a 100 or the 110 zone in Airdrie? If it's a 100 zone how did you not get a court appearance?
    it was a 100 zone on the out skirts of Calgary, not in Airdrie but the court is in Airdrie. I didn't get a court appearance cause the rcmp officer wrote the ticket down to 149km/hr but also put the 155 to show that he gave me a break.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I don't think so. Are you talking about GDL demerit-based suspension or what? 50 over is 6 points, not a suspension.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

I don't think so. Are you talking about GDL demerit-based suspension or what? 50 over is 6 points, not a suspension.
    Not a GDL , i've been driving for over 19 years.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Not a GDL , i've been driving for over 19 years.
    So what the hell are you talking about?
    Name:  Crazy Pills.gif
Views: 372
Size:  1.45 MB

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

I thought it was only an automatic suspension (and also impound?) if you went double over the speed limit.

So what the hell are you talking about?
    Name:  Crazy Pills.gif
Views: 372
Size:  1.45 MB
    I'm going by what POINTS told me that if convicted of 55km over the speed limit it can carry a suspension of license if the judge wants to.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I'm going by what POINTS told me that if convicted of 55km over the speed limit it can carry a suspension of license if the judge wants to.
    Ok, well first of all, they are hardly an unbiased source of info. They need you to be scared in order to pay for their services. I don't think you need them involved at all. If you have a clean record, like you say, and your ticket is written how you describe, you are going to be charged for 149 in a 100 zone, which is a simple 4 demerit ticket plus some money. Don't even bother arguing anything else, pay the fine, take the 4 demerits and move on with your life.

Even IF the judge for some reason wanted to go back to the higher speed, it STILL WOULDN'T mean a licence suspension, it's just a higher fine and 6 demerits. However, unless you are a total asshole, there is no reason on earth for that to happen.

Honestly, this doesn't have to be so difficult.

Ok, well first of all, they are hardly an unbiased source of info. They need you to be scared in order to pay for their services. I don't think you need them involved at all. If you have a clean record, like you say, and your ticket is written how you describe, you are going to be charged for 149 in a 100 zone, which is a simple 4 demerit ticket plus some money. Don't even bother arguing anything else, pay the fine, take the 4 demerits and move on with your life.

Even IF the judge for some reason wanted to go back to the higher speed, it STILL WOULDN'T mean a licence suspension, it's just a higher fine and 6 demerits. However, unless you are a total asshole, there is no reason on earth for that to happen.

Honestly, this doesn't have to be so difficult.
    Yes you're right, its not very difficult and I over complicate many things , i just feel that i'm agreeing to a speed where as the RCMP was not even correct and that bothers me. POINTS actually told me to pay it and be done with it, they didn't want to take on the ticket.

My Ride
    2002 330xi, 1992 Miata, 1996 Spec Miata, 2012 Ram

Yes you're right, its not very difficult and I over complicate many things , i just feel that i'm agreeing to a speed where as the RCMP was not even correct and that bothers me. POINTS actually told me to pay it and be done with it, they didn't want to take on the ticket.
    Do you have anything that can be used as evidence that you were not doing the speed listed on your ticket? If not what evidence would you be planning to present in court?

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    Do you have anything that can be used as evidence that you were not doing the speed listed on your ticket? If not what evidence would you be planning to present in court?
    I really don't have any evidence except my word and my theory. I have requested disclosure many times hoping to find something I can use but they have failed to provide it to me over the past few months. I had planned to be honest and tell them i was going 130 at my highest speed during my commute back to Calgary and not a constant speed, usually just to pass people and then i'd hover around 110. So give me a ticket for 130, not the 149

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast