Quantcast
Toxic workplace culture - bullying and harrassment - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: If you faced a toxic work culture of bullying and harrassment, what did you do?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rely on your own resiliency and stay even if the culture doesn't change

6 25.00%
  • Bring it to HR

4 16.67%
  • Leave

11 45.83%
  • Nothing, life is what it is.

3 12.50%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Toxic workplace culture - bullying and harrassment

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's pretty bad in construction, particularly between the superintendents and engineers/coordinators.

If you don't have the grit to be called names, teased or belittled in junior and intermediate roles - probably not the industry for you. Not that I agree with it, but it seems to be the way things are across several companies I've worked with.
    Construction is a whole other animal than office jobs. Way more upfront blatant hostility but also it gets resolved faster. At my first office job after years of construction, my manager came up and told me that my work was sloppy and I needed to perform better. Sounded about right, but my coworker started whispering to me like "hey man are you ok? that was pretty brutal" Really? Last year in a trade meeting a superintendent threw his phone at me. His landline phone.

The flipside of that is that because you can't just tell someone you'll meet them outside, it can be years of passive aggressive bullshit, which I find way worse. The only job I've ever quit on bad terms was where the owner was an overbearing micromanager who would slide little jabs in to everything. Turnover was crazy there because of him, so they had me sign a 2 year contract and after a year I told them to sue me and left. Should have known the contract for a salaried full time position was a red flag

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

I'm also interested in those who were the recipient of nepotism or at the very least, favour and if you weren't the recipient, how you decided to interact with coworkers who were.

We have a good amount of individuals who have major incentive to stay on the boss' good side for the perks. It became a challenge when all of this toxic culture came up to the surface and people tried to fight back. Unfortunately, some people simply don't want to rock the boat, others are afraid of retribution, no one wants to be a martyr, and then you have the "nepotees" who attest that it's actually not that bad here and it's just a couple of whiners.

I won't say it's always the employee's fault. We definitely have some don't care about the bullying as long as they get their cake but alot of new staff don't know any better. They think this is a great new job where the boss empowers them with responsibility, training/travel opportunities, various perks. Meanwhile, those loyal individuals with tenure and experience are diminished and ignored for their contributions for years.

Since the boss merely uses work resources to satisfy their ego, it's not really about employee investment. If you get on the bad side, consider all these "perks" revoked

I added a poll to the thread as well. I'm glad to hear that many of you have moved on to greener pastures.

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-06-2020 at 05:13 PM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I think about those horrible jobs that I (and many) have had and now I look back at them as character builders - of course there is a limit to how much horseshit one can take - I was pretty close to jumping out a window at one point, so obviously that line of work had to stop (aircraft industry).

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    I think about those horrible jobs that I (and many) have had and now I look back at them as character builders .
    This is also my viewpoint. I've worked for shitty companies before... fortunately my current company is great, but I still have to work with difficult clients. My satisfaction and motivation comes down to how I frame it for myself. Shitty experiences and stressful days are just an opportunity to build valuable skills and gain wisdom for the future.

The other thought in my head when reading this: beyond has a bunch of snowflakes coming out of the woodwork. If you don't like your job, leave. If there's no jobs here, go somewhere that has them. Adapt. Re-skill. I'm not saying these things are easy, in some cases may be very difficult... nothing is impossible though. Or maybe I should stop, because my privilege is showing...

I guess workplace environment is the one soft spot we have in this online community haha. Somehow the term "microaggression" was used and no one got flamed for it. Very progressive of you all, well done.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

To be fair, you've not qualified your own experiences and how they were shitty, so I think you are correct in that your privilege may be peeking out particularly if you're going to undermine the other experiences in this thread haha.

That said, I would echo your sentiments about character building. Leaving a toxic boss in one workplace is never a guarantee that you won't encounter another one. People like that are out there in the world by the millions so the only thing you can control is to temper your own resiliency and come out stronger from this sort of adversity.

Retroactively, I think I could have added more detail and options to the poll. I don't think it's fair to just have "Leave" as its own category because whether you stay or leave, you still have the opportunity to come out stronger, and often times people will find ways to tough it out until new opportunities come their way.

My Ride
    BB6

Quote Originally Posted by Rat Fink View Post

[snip]

In my experiences I have found bullies thrive on people who passively take the abuse. No job is worth that. Fight fire with fire. In my experiences, bullies are typically people who have nothing going for them in their personal lives outside of their career or job title. They are jokes. Nothing sets them inline more than face to face talks where you call them out on their bullshit. If that doesn’t work you include the bully on conversations with their bosses in ways that make light of the bullshit they are pulling. Keep an accurate log of all the points that have made your role fail as a result of that jackass and use it like a nuke with their bosses, but always have a list of credible solutions to the problems you are addressing. If a workplace can’t be fixed for you beyond that, i think you should consider finding a new place to work as toxic environments really aren’t worth the negative effect on your personal well being.
    I've found that if you try talking to them, they'll just double down on doing what they do... why would a narcissistic asshole think that they're in the wrong...?

I've had two ultra-toxic, ultra-micromanager supervisors my career. One of the managers had seven resignations (on a team of nine underlings/analysts) in a 12 month span. The other manager had two HR complaints against him, but the Director/VP really, really liked him and gave him a different "less snowflake" team to supervise (i.e. the team that I was on). Left both jobs in short-order for greener pastures. It's only been a few years, but both are still with the same company in the same role doing the same bullshit running high turnover teams.

IMO, karma doesn't get them in the end... all you can do is leave and hope the next place is better

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2