Quantcast
TPMS Sensors - School me on Aftermarket Programmable Sensors - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: TPMS Sensors - School me on Aftermarket Programmable Sensors

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

Default TPMS Sensors - School me on Aftermarket Programmable Sensors

I'm having an issue with my 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk recognizing the aftermarket TPMS sensors in my winter wheels.

TLDR: Aftermarket programmable TPMS are not functioning correctly and the Jeep has a constant TPMS error with winter wheels installed. Is cloning the OEM sensors the best option to fix this issue? How is this process done with TPMS sensors already installed in the wheels.

Back Story:

I had a set of OEM Trackhawk wheels and like new Nokian winter tires with aftermarket TPMS shipped out from Ontario. The Jeep TPMS system is an "auto re-learn" system where it's supposed to pick up new sensors automatically but I'm not having any luck getting the winters to auto re-learn and every time we start the Jeep it flashes that the TPMS system is not working. I'm looking for suggestions, someone who understands these aftermarket programmable TPMS or has worked with them. Here is a list of what I've tried so far:

- Installed winter wheels and driven the vehicle for 2 weeks to try and enable the auto re-learn process. As per the owners manual this should take place after 15 minutes of driving above ~30km/hr.

- I pulled the winters off, reinstalled the summers and it auto re-learns after 5 minutes of driving. (Summers are stored elsewhere and are no where near the Jeep which can cause the system confusion.)

- I took it to the dealership for them to program / re-learn. Their reply was, we can't pick up the TPMS at all with our scan tool and suggested taking it to a tire shop. They also said that the Jeep has gone into "winter mode" for the TPMS system. I can't get a clear understanding of what "winter mode" is in relation to my Jeep. Some vehicles apparently stop flashing a TPMS error following multiple TPMS system failures assuming the wheels installed have no sensors. My Jeep continues to have the error pop up so I don't believe it has "winter mode".

- I took it to a Fountain Tire near my house and had them try. They also could not sense the TPMS with two different machines and suggested that the TPMS were likely not programmed correctly before they were installed and they said the next step would be to remove the TPMS from the wheels, re-program all of them correctly then reinstall which should enable the Jeep to auto re-learn.

-The following week I removed all 4 wheels, took them to Fountain Tire and had them pull and re-program the sensors. After this process I re-installed the wheels and drove it for a long period hoping for the auto re-learn to work, unfortunately, it did not.

- I returned to Fountain Tire the following day and asked them to do a forced re-learn following the re-program the day earlier. Two different techs and two machines later, they eventually gave up with no further suggestions on what to do. With that being said, they were able to pick up all 4 sensors and the pressures with their machine but could not get the sensors to connect with the Jeep. The dealer or Fountain Tire were unable to connect previously.

- Since then I've tried over filling the tires to see if that would cause a change with no success. I also re-installed the summers to get the system working again before re-installing the winters again to further test the "winter mode" theory with again, no success.

After doing some reading, I believe I have Schrader EZ-Sensors in the wheels as per the Fountain Tire invoice. From what I have determined there are different frequencies that the systems operate at. I believe my Jeep operates with the 433MHz system and I believe the EZ- Sensors can be programmed from 315 - 433 MHz. I don't believe that the sensors are currently programmed to the wrong frequency but I don't know for sure.

From what I understand, sensors have a specific ID which needs to match with the system in the vehicle to properly transmit the data. I'm unsure if the ID's need to match before the vehicle will re-learn the sensors and their position or if the auto re-learn is supposed to automatically sense and learn the ID of each sensor.

I believe the next step should be to have the OEM sensors cloned to the aftermarket sensors in the winter wheels? I believe this should remove potential errors with either frequencies or ID's for specific sensors but I'm open to suggestions on what my next step should be besides buying OEM sensors.

If I have a shop clone the sensors how does this process take place? Do I actually need to remove all of the sensors from both sets of wheels to do this? After some reading, I'm not confident that I needed to have Fountain tire pull the sensors out of the wheels in order to reprogram them.

Regarding the sensor ID, does each wheel and sensor have a separate ID? Or do I only need one of my OEM summer wheels to clone all 4 of the winter wheels while they're on the vehicle?

I'm hoping someone has real world understanding of how these systems work, that goes beyond what I've read on the internet.

TLDR: Aftermarket programmable TPMS are not functioning correctly and the Jeep has a constant TPMS error with winter wheels installed. Is cloning the OEM sensors the best option to fix this issue? How is this process done with TPMS sensors already installed in the wheels.
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

I have the same problem with my gf's RVR. After three attempts to fix at a local shop, we just gave up. Even the OEM sensors don't work anymore. I despise the system. My 'check TPMS' light was on in my Fiesta recently..... the car doesn't even have a tire pressure monitoring system. I managed to fix it by rapidly turning the ignition to ON and OFF a few times hahaha.

The system is just an all around pain in the ass. I did however, have good luck with my Genesis wheels by 'keeping it simple'. What I mean by that is, I found what model of sensor Hyundai was using in the car, went on ebay and bought the same model but refurbished that was taken off a different Genesis. Installed them in my winters, drove for 5 mins and all the digits popped up with no issues at all.

In your case, I'd stay with Fountain Tire, at least they can connect to the sensors. Take the OEM sensors in and clone to aftermarket sensors. That should work but no guarantee. We tried the same thing with my gf's RVR and no luck. If that doesn't work, try hunting down the OEM sensors on ebay.

The system basically exists to frustrate you.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

Not sure if over filling the tire would have the same affect, but I've read you need to deflate then fill the tire for them to "pair" that being said, I know relatively nothing about these systems.

My Ride
    *The First*

Are your other wheels/tires stored in the garage somewhat near the vehicle? That can in rare instances screw up the new pairing because it somehow sniffs out the old ones when you get home and can confuse the computer.
    This makes no sense to me, but I've heard it repeatedly on a Lexus forum.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are your other wheels/tires stored in the garage somewhat near the vehicle? That can in rare instances screw up the new pairing because it somehow sniffs out the old ones when you get home and can confuse the computer.
    Depending on the system some run on bluetooth.

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by arcticcat522 View Post
    Not sure if over filling the tire would have the same affect, but I've read you need to deflate then fill the tire for them to "pair" that being said, I know relatively nothing about these systems.
    I don't think this system works like that but as mentioned, I did try over inflating them. I could try deflating them but based on how quick the summers repaired after installing them, I don't think it's the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Summers are stored 4 km away in another garage. I've read that this can cause an issue as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 16hypen3sp View Post
    I have the same problem with my gf's RVR. After three attempts to fix at a local shop, we just gave up. Even the OEM sensors don't work anymore. I despise the system. My 'check TPMS' light was on in my Fiesta recently..... the car doesn't even have a tire pressure monitoring system. I managed to fix it by rapidly turning the ignition to ON and OFF a few times hahaha.

The system is just an all around pain in the ass. I did however, have good luck with my Genesis wheels by 'keeping it simple'. What I mean by that is, I found what model of sensor Hyundai was using in the car, went on ebay and bought the same model but refurbished that was taken off a different Genesis. Installed them in my winters, drove for 5 mins and all the digits popped up with no issues at all.

In your case, I'd stay with Fountain Tire, at least they can connect to the sensors. Take the OEM sensors in and clone to aftermarket sensors. That should work but no guarantee. We tried the same thing with my gf's RVR and no luck. If that doesn't work, try hunting down the OEM sensors on ebay.

The system basically exists to frustrate you.
    Cloning does sound like the next step to try but I'm still uncertain if I need all 4 summers present in order to clone each sensor to each of the 4 winter wheels.

Does each TPMS have its own ID? Can I clone the TPMS without removing them from both the summers and winters? If I have to pull all 8 sensors out to try and see if cloning will fix them I'll go buy OEM sensors to save the hassle and money. I'm really hoping the cloning process can be done without removing the sensors.
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

I've had mixed results with aftermarket TPMS sensors.

One my summers, I installed Autel MX sensors as that's what UrbanX had the programmer for. They've never worked correctly. UrbanX resets the system, I go for a drive, 15 minutes later they crap out and trip the error light. Back to UrbanX, programmer says two of the sensors aren't connecting properly, reset them again. Drive home, same thing happens. I repeated this procedure a few times and eventually gave up as I was tired of driving back and forth to the shop every week. Now I just live with the error message when I have my summers on.

For my winters, I put in Standard Motor Products self-cloning sensors. Installed the wheels for the first time the other day, went for a drive, 5 minutes later they have self-programmed and the TPMS light shuts off. No problems so far, seems pretty seamless.

Depends on what tool the shops are using

But you should be able to manually enter the OEM TPMS ID to the Aftermarket ID, but again depends on the tool.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Quote Originally Posted by 90_Shelby View Post
    Cloning does sound like the next step to try but I'm still uncertain if I need all 4 summers present in order to clone each sensor to each of the 4 winter wheels.

Does each TPMS have its own ID? Can I clone the TPMS without removing them from both the summers and winters? If I have to pull all 8 sensors out to try and see if cloning will fix them I'll go buy OEM sensors to save the hassle and money. I'm really hoping the cloning process can be done without removing the sensors.
    I don't know enough about the pain in the ass system to say one way or other. This video (link below) shows needing all 4 sensors needing to be there to clone.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR1gjaN-bOU
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by GTR_Auto View Post
    Depends on what tool the shops are using

But you should be able to manually enter the OEM TPMS ID to the Aftermarket ID, but again depends on the tool.
    Can this be done with the sensors mounted in the wheels?
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Any updates?
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

Took a summer wheel and the Jeep back to Fountain Tire to try cloning the aftermarket sensors. The guy said cloning worked but they still weren’t recognized. I ordered OEM sensors from RockAuto yesterday.

FS: Schrader EZ-Sensors
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

@90_Shelby

Any updates on your OEM sensors?
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

I swapped the OEM sensors in this weekend (Not a fun or recommended DIY job.) They still didn't auto-learn so it was back to the dealership where they had to manually write in the new sensor ID's but this was successful.
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

With all this fucking around, do you really even need them? Pretty easy to tell if you’ve got a tire low on pressure, just check them regularly?

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Quote Originally Posted by 90_Shelby View Post
    I swapped the OEM sensors in this weekend (Not a fun or recommended DIY job.) They still didn't auto-learn so it was back to the dealership where they had to manually write in the new sensor ID's but this was successful.
    Hmmm, interesting. Did they say if doing that will affect your summer wheels when you swap back in the spring? At least you got the system figured out for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx Mazda View Post
    With all this fucking around, do you really even need them? Pretty easy to tell if you’ve got a tire low on pressure, just check them regularly?
    Definitely not needed, nice to have, but not needed. I think America has it mandated to require them, which probably has some sort of influence on us here in Canada. Some cars aren't finicky about no TPMS sensors installed. But my gf's RVR is a royal pain without functioning TPMS. The TPMS error light is constantly illuminated and the entire digital display reads "CHECK TPMS" every time you start the car. I have to manually reset the display each time to bypass the error message. I just wish the systems were seamless to swap tires. Especially here with swapping between summer and winter each year.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx Mazda View Post
    How would you define, "needing them?" The vehicle runs and drives fine without them functioning and I have no concerns with getting a flat or driving around with a tire that has low air pressure therefore I don't "need" them. With that being said, I don't want to have my main display on the dash tell me that tire pressure is unavailable every time I start the vehicle. Additionally I'm meticulous with my vehicles and I want them to function as intended. Not fixing an issue with a car when there is a solution, is simply lazy in my mind.

Regarding the above inquiry, the summers should relearn when bolted back on in the spring from what I've read on a Trackhawk page.
    Last edited by 90_Shelby; 12-02-2019 at 09:45 PM.
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    *The First*

And, it's not so easy or obvious to spot a tire that's 15psi low if it's relatively low profile.

My Ride
    '91 NA1 ADVAN'D

Some vehicles nowadays have traction control systems tied into the TPMS', an example would be the GEN4-up Honda Odyssey. If you don't have TPMS' you won't be able to turn off traction control.

I've had excellent luck with a local Calgary company for getting cloned TPMS', programming & troubleshooting as well -> https://www.psauto.ca/

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

I got a set of TPMS from Bob At Urban. They were all programmed to my '16 F150. When I traded in and got my '19 F150, the truck auto learned my old summer and winter setups and I didn't have to program anything. The truck auto learned them on it's own, despite not having been programmed to the truck previously.

Maybe @tirebob can chime in which brand he uses. YMMV, but they worked great for me...
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast