Quantcast
Senate reform, I'll give Justin credit for this. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Senate reform, I'll give Justin credit for this.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duplex
    My Ride
    Phanbus
    Posts
    8,563
    Rep Power
    50

    Default Senate reform, I'll give Justin credit for this.

    We can debate the value of the Senate, but it seems Justin's idea of having the senate become a non-partisan chamber is taking shape.

    I think there's far more drastic senate reform needed, but this is a pragmatic and positive step. Ironically Stephen Harper's refusal to appoint senators really gave Justin an extra bunch of empty seats to nominate independents to.
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tas...orms-1.5347242
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If there is one thing I know for sure. ES has no Aspen goals

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Not the NE
    My Ride
    Blue Dabadee
    Posts
    6,044
    Rep Power
    44

    Default

    “Independents”
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duplex
    My Ride
    Phanbus
    Posts
    8,563
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    “Independents”
    Yeah, they are ideologically aligned at minimum. It's a pretty small step, but I think a positive one.

    I think anything that can reduce the partisanship and tribalism in government and society is a positive step.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If there is one thing I know for sure. ES has no Aspen goals

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Calgmonton/AB
    Posts
    1,277
    Rep Power
    37

    Default

    Rather than talk about what color robes they wear, I would rather talk about eliminating the unelected officials that technically rule us and occasionally have the gall to influence policies that our elected representatives passed.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Not the NE
    My Ride
    Blue Dabadee
    Posts
    6,044
    Rep Power
    44

    Default

    I think having a chamber of people who aren’t beholden to seeking re-election and just to ensuring good policies that are good for the country are becoming law is actually a good idea.

    I actually think I trust a senator way more than I trust an MP.

    I like the senate, we should just rename it back to the House of Lords.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Calgmonton/AB
    Posts
    1,277
    Rep Power
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think having a chamber of people who arenít beholden to seeking re-election and just to ensuring good policies that are good for the country are becoming law is actually a good idea.

    I actually think I trust a senator way more than I trust an MP.

    I like the senate, we should just rename it back to the House of Lords.
    Wow, that surprises me! Re-election = accountability and the Senate has virtually zero accountability so I have no reason to trust them. They're mainly old political cronies who made things happen in the background with influence or money and now get this cushy gig as a reward for their loyalty.

    The more irritating thing recently is that they're just another last last last ditch for some special interest group to get their case heard after they've lost in every court and forum that heard them previously.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Not the NE
    My Ride
    Blue Dabadee
    Posts
    6,044
    Rep Power
    44

    Default

    I think of it as what are you spending most of your time doing, legislating or seeking re-election.

    In the states I think we all know what the answer to that question is.

    Another interesting take on the senate would be to allow individual premiers to appoint and recall senators. Saves us having more expensive elections. And keep the regional representation.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    333
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think having a chamber of people who aren’t beholden to seeking re-election and just to ensuring good policies that are good for the country are becoming law is actually a good idea.

    I actually think I trust a senator way more than I trust an MP.

    I like the senate, we should just rename it back to the House of Lords.
    It's a nice idea in "theory". But I'm not down with back door shady deals being done just to pass laws. We don't need Queerbec getting any more special interest just to get their senate votes.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Fiesta ST
    Posts
    967
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wow, that surprises me! Re-election = accountability and the Senate has virtually zero accountability so I have no reason to trust them. They're mainly old political cronies who made things happen in the background with influence or money and now get this cushy gig as a reward for their loyalty.

    The more irritating thing recently is that they're just another last last last ditch for some special interest group to get their case heard after they've lost in every court and forum that heard them previously.
    I disagree though. Re-election = more susceptible to outside influence. I.e. loyalty to companies that donate to your campaign.

    If it was one senator then they'd probably power trip, but thats why we have a bunch of them. They can balance each other out and without them having to pander to party lines for elections it lets them rule based on their actual principals and morals.

    Another interesting take on the senate would be to allow individual premiers to appoint and recall senators. Saves us having more expensive elections. And keep the regional representation.
    I wouldn't mind that tbh although we'd have less senators and in the end not really have a voice anyways. At the end of the day the population imbalance in our country always tilts things.
    Nolan

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    175
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's a nice idea in "theory". But I'm not down with back door shady deals being done just to pass laws. We don't need Queerbec getting any more special interest just to get their senate votes.
    I like how you seem to think that being queer is an insult. Where do they keep finding troglodytes like you?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    GLC43
    Posts
    8,511
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Another interesting take on the senate would be to allow individual premiers to appoint and recall senators. Saves us having more expensive elections. And keep the regional representation.
    I see a problem having ability to recall. Senate is suppose to provide stability. Having ability to be recalled by partisan is the opposite of that.

    But I am not opposed to having a concrete set of rules for eviction that is dictated by an committee.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Calgary/Alberta
    Posts
    1,230
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mazdavirgin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like how you seem to think that being queer is an insult. Where do they keep finding troglodytes like you?
    I saw that and rolled my eyes. While I am by no means a fan of Quebec/Trudeau and the Liberal party etc. I find it erodes any decent article/statement/argument (i.e. that Separatism one in the election thread) when it finishes off with petty insults or threats. Words such as Queerbec, Trudope, Libtards typically paint the users in a less intelligent light and reinforce the return bigoted/racist conservative member comments received back.

    Call Trudeau a moron, incompetent and *insert one of thousands of valid insults for him*... but do we not at least have the respect to spell or pronounce a name properly or leave slurs out of it?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    333
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mazdavirgin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like how you seem to think that being queer is an insult. Where do they keep finding troglodytes like you?
    I like how you provide nothing of substance to any discussion.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    175
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like how you provide nothing of substance to any discussion.
    Other than pointing out you're an intolerant bigot?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    333
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mazdavirgin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Other than pointing out you're an intolerant bigot?
    So not only lack of substance, but also inaccuracy. Swell!

Similar Threads

  1. Senate reform bill proposes 9-year terms

    By Maybelater in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 0
    Latest Threads: 06-22-2011, 03:17 AM
  2. Senate - "Abandon the Penny"

    By ZenOps in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 30
    Latest Threads: 12-15-2010, 03:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •