Quantcast
Calgary's a joke, but anyone TRY to fight a ticket in Ponoka? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Calgary's a joke, but anyone TRY to fight a ticket in Ponoka?

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Default Calgary's a joke, but anyone TRY to fight a ticket in Ponoka?

I've heard a few people outside and on the forum mention how Ponoka's tough to fight a ticket, or even get it reduced because they're a money grubbing small town. But in Calgary, cops seems to be too lazy to even show up to court which results in tickets thrown out the window. Anyone actually try to fight a ticket from there, or any small town? I received one while heading to Edmonton quite a while ago (who doesn't go over 100 ) and was debating on it but decided to forget about it, pay, lose 3 demerits and call it a day.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Its impossible. Many have tried. Everyone has failed.

When I get near Ponoka, really, 10km or so after red deer, cruise control, 115, and try to stay awake till I get outta there before I can "drive" again.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride

I read that thread 4 years ago on it, quoted from you:

Here are my thoughts.

1. Ponoka is NOT Calgary. Your Calgary court/deal experiences does not apply in Ponoka.
    2. Ponoka RCMP are assholes.
    3. Ponoka Court staff (judges, prosecutors) are assholes.
    4. Ponoka RCMP and Court Staff (assholes #2 and #3) are out to make money. They'll ticket you for 120 in a 110 if they feel like it. If there's a construction zone for 70, you'll get a ticket at 71.
    5. I've never heard of ANYONE getting off on a Ponoka ticket. Good luck. They're a bunch of corrupt fuckers that give the RCMP and the court system a bad rep. I used to drive to edmonton weekly, and nearly lost my license from BS Ponoka tickets. Only had 2 demerits left out of 15. One time I got 2 tickets in Ponoka in 1 day. First was 20 over, 2nd was 10 over. Nice.
    In Calgary, I never EVER got convicted because the judge always askes me: Are you a student, do you work? In which case, I replied I'm an Engineering student at U of C and I work about 3 days a week while in school. Most of them were speeding 30 over, and once I almost hit a cop because he cut into an intersection without waiting for me to go and then gives me a ticket for unreasonable speed (4 demerits). All those were thrown out because they let me off due to GDL, school, me being poor, and just today and the last 3 times the cop didn't show up.

I just thought MAYBE I could have pulled it off in Ponoka too.

Note: Here's a little trick I've found out over the years. If you reschedule your court date (I had to almost every time because it conflicts my school schedule), I think the cops somehow forget or whatever and they don't even show up.. My ticket was issued in November 2008 and my court day was today for example.
    Last edited by Disoblige; 06-04-2009 at 11:11 AM.

My Ride
    Audi

The Super Troopers around Ponoka are not forgiving, and it'll be a cold day in hell when a traffic ticket gets thrown out in court there ...

I don't go over 110-115 from Lacombe -> wetaskiwin turn off.

My Ride
    Axis powers

i set the cruise control to 120 sit back and "relax" and watch other people pass me only to catch up to them pulled over later on
    Sig nuked by mod.

Originally posted by Disoblige
    I read that thread 4 years ago on it, quoted from you:

In Calgary, I never EVER got convicted because the judge always askes me: Are you a student, do you work? In which case, I replied I'm an Engineering student at U of C and I work about 3 days a week while in school. Most of them were speeding 30 over, and once I almost hit a cop because he cut into an intersection without waiting for me to go and then gives me a ticket for unreasonable speed (4 demerits). All those were thrown out because they let me off due to GDL, school, me being poor, and just today and the last 3 times the cop didn't show up.

I just thought MAYBE I could have pulled it off in Ponoka too.

Note: Here's a little trick I've found out over the years. If you reschedule your court date (I had to almost every time because it conflicts my school schedule), I think the cops somehow forget or whatever and they don't even show up.. My ticket was issued in November 2008 and my court day was today for example.
    So you always go to court for speeding tickets? I usually just go see the JP and get it reduced.
    When you go to court, all you say is youre in school, poor, and on GDL and the judge lets you off? Sounds too easy. If I go to court, do I still have the option to get it reduced?

My Ride

Yeah, the court system here is very fair and lenient for better or worse. When you sign in, they ask if you want to plead guilty and reduce or if you want a trial. I always go for a trial because many times in my case I feel like I got fucked.

The only ticket I paid for was the Ponoka one and one I got the first week I drove when I was 16 and got radared going 12 over the Lion's Bridge Chinatown (I didn't know I could go to court then lol).

Anywho, I advise you to always go for trial especially if you got some sort of reason, whether it's worried for demerits because you're a student, etc.. Trial dates are usually 4-5 months from when the ticket is issued and you have the option of extending it ENDLESSLY (within reason of course)

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

Default Re: Calgary's a joke, but anyone TRY to fight a ticket in Ponoka?

Originally posted by Disoblige
    I've heard a few people outside and on the forum mention how Ponoka's tough to fight a ticket, or even get it reduced because they're a money grubbing small town. But in Calgary, cops seems to be too lazy to even show up to court which results in tickets thrown out the window. Anyone actually try to fight a ticket from there, or any small town? I received one while heading to Edmonton quite a while ago (who doesn't go over 100 ) and was debating on it but decided to forget about it, pay, lose 3 demerits and call it a day.
    I thought those commercials on the radio debunked the whole "if the cop doesn't show up, it gets thrown out" myth...

And tell me, are you keeping right, except to pass? hahahaha

My Ride

lol.. Yes if I can Funny thing is that I never get a ticket on Deerfoot because it's pretty easy to spot cops/vans (except maybe for the disguised white truck) even when going 130 (or more) <knock on wood>

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

the explorers are the worst, they are like green and they pull over everybody

My Ride
    ShitBox Rustbucket

I just drove up to Ponoka recently to fight a ticket...

I did the reschedue of the court date and everything.

Ended up sitting down with the crown after sitting there all morning. I argued the date was wrong on the ticket. He asked me when was that date? I told him it was the day after that.

He said the ticket date clearly states on or about _______

So I said, well sounds like you have it all figured out then. I said fine, I don't want any demerits but I will pay the fine. He said absolutely not. I asked well what will you do for me then? He said he can reduce the fine 60 bucks.

I go out to pay my ticket, and come out to the car only to find a damn parking ticket.

I was not a happy camper at all. FML

My Ride

^^^^
    Shit man.. I guess this says it all.. I guess even after rescheduling they'll still get ya. But did you try to get a trial with a judge? I don't give a crap about the fine.. It's the damn demerits obviously.. Fuck Ponoka!

the explorers are the worst, they are like green and they pull over everybody
    Yeah I seen them on the Lion's bridge too. Some lady in a minivan going like 55-60 or whatever only to see this green explorer jump outta no where to chase her down.

Default Re: Re: Calgary's a joke, but anyone TRY to fight a ticket in Ponoka?

Originally posted by you&amp;me
    I thought those commercials on the radio debunked the whole &quot;if the cop doesn't show up, it gets thrown out&quot; myth...
    The way it works is if the oficer doesn't show up and the prosecutor can't give a good explanation of why he/she didn't appear (i.e. illness, emergency, etc.) then the ticket is thrown out.

ETA: It's not that common that officers don't show up. Most are pretty conscientious about it - after all, it's their job.
    Last edited by dexlargo; 06-04-2009 at 12:09 PM.

My Ride

^^^
    There are probably too many for me to make a claim, but through all my experiences and individuals I know, I strongly believe cops have a higher chance of not showing up to those which are rescheduled (maybe they weren't told, or they forgot, etc)

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Originally posted by MintRacer
    I just drove up to Ponoka recently to fight a ticket...
    . . . .
    I go out to pay my ticket, and come out to the car only to find a damn parking ticket.

I was not a happy camper at all. FML
    Did anyone else think this was hilarious?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

It's funny if you don't know about Ponoka! haha

It's not even worth the gas and time and tires and wear on your car to go to Ponoka to fight a ticket. You'll save yourself a lot of headaches by just paying it.

I remember years ago, before I knew about Ponoka, my friend got busted for speeding, expired registration, car towed. Called me up, I drove up there to pick him up. I got a ticket for not coming to a 2 second stop at a stop sign trying to find out where the fuck I was going (this was before GPS).

If someone calls me now from Ponoka to pick them up, I'll tell 'em to take the fucking greyhound and I'll pay for it. .
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Ponoka reminds me of this old movie
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    2011 Mustang GT

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
    Ponoka reminds me of this old movie
    That looks like one hell of cast! I should rent that movie just because!

Anyway, I have never been pulled over heading up to edmonton (knocks on wood). It is good information to know! Thanks guys!
    Beyond's Most Wanted

My Ride
    W204

So do you actually need to have a good reason to take it all the way to trial? Can I just drum up any kind of excuse? I have a ticket coming up and I will definitely do the JP thing, but am considering taking it all the way to trial if it might save me a few $$ and some demerits.

So has anyone here actually gone to trial *and* the COP SHOWED UP?
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Yep. You'll lose even with a good defense.

I tried it once (in red deer) with charts and graphs and average human reaction times for the stopwatch showing that the plane method is inaccurate for determining speed, and they asked me what degree I had in math to calculate that, I said I was in high school and that's basic math formulas. The cop showed up, showed his stopwatch training certificate (I shit u not lol) and the judge said he was qualified and I wasn't hahaha.

It was fun being a lawyer for a day. They don't use planes anymore because it IS very inaccurate.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast