Quantcast
I got a stunting ticket in the mail. Dash cam user complained to police about me. - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

Thread: I got a stunting ticket in the mail. Dash cam user complained to police about me.

Quote Originally Posted by 16hypen3sp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My defense would be explaining that the definition of a lane in the UHRR reg defines a lane existing between the stopped cars. There is no 'filtering or splitting' as a lane lawfully exists between the stopped vehicles.
    Except this imaginary lane does NOT exist, as the lanes are clearly indicated by lines.

The real question here is whether lane splitting meets the definition of stunting? It's stupid, but it certainly isn't stunting. So that's where your focus should be.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Stunting tickets in the red mile for laying on the horn is a good one. Another one was someone not even in a car, but held up a sign warning about multinova camera truck ahead. Those are my favorite examples of stunting.
    Any of these examples of bogus stunting tickets would be tossed out by reference to case law.

That’s right. I contravened a section in the TSA for a maneuver that looks legal in the UHRR Reg.
    Now this would be hilarious. You go to court trying to pretend that what you did was legal(which it is not), and regardless whether it was or not it could be conceived as stunting as it is distracting to other drivers trying to figure out what this idiot is doing beside them in their lane at a light. So not only does the stunting stick, but you also get an improper lane usage tacked on top. lol

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Misterman, read the OP again. Look at the part that is bold. I fail to see how a traffic lane is defined as the lines on the road.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    79 Country Squire 95 Deville 09 Jeep JK

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    You need to be studying/arguing about the portion of the TSA related to stunting.
    Yah, I haven't looked into it but since its a broad offense to catch everything, I don't think there's a way out of that. I have to somehow mold that into this lane definition.
    Prohibited operation of vehicles, etc.
    115(1)(e) perform or engage in any stunt or other activity that is
    likely to distract, startle or interfere with users of the
    highway;
    (f) drive a vehicle so as to perform or engage in any stunt or
    other activity on a highway that is likely to distract, startle
    or interfere with other users of the highway;

You are hung up on whether lane splitting is legal or not.
    Stunting is about how the other drivers will possibly react to your actions.
    And It looks to be up to the discretion of a sworn member so I am interested in seeing how this plays out (like gwill and the distracted driving case).

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Yes. The issuing officer could have given me a lane violation ticket but opted for the be all, end all stunting violation. I Am unsure how to get out of the stunting law and into the lane definition law.

But we have to try at least.

For clarification, I contravened part f of the post above. That’s what the ticket is for.
    Last edited by 16hypen3sp; 11-07-2019 at 06:32 AM.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

But we have to try at least.
    I wish you best of luck good sir! Please keep us updated as this progresses.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

What of the fact that lane changing is not permitted where there is a solid white line and your motorcycle appears to be stopped right on top of a solid white line. By the wording of what is not allowed by a solid white line then the lanes would have to be on either side of that white line which would suggest that you were not in a lane.

There is as much, if not more, in the various statutes that go against your lane argument that it seems to be folly to be going down that path. The stunting charge may very hold as the drivers on either side of you may have been surprised or even startled to have some vehicle come up between them. Stunting is very broad as others have pointed out, I got one back in the early 80's for having the back end of my car swing out more than it should of while making a left hand turn on snowy/icy streets - dumbass young guy in a RWD can't gave a little fun at night on an empty street.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Yes. The issuing officer could have given me a lane violation ticket but opted for the be all, end all stunting violation. I Am unsure how to get out of the stunting law and into the lane definition law.
    You ask for disclosure, say you're fighting it. When the person who complained never shows, i think you're pretty well set? If they don't have a video of you rolling up in between and just the screen grab, isn't it your word against theirs about who was in that spot first?

I am curious however..why is this photo also on reddit (which you didnt link the post..). What did you do to get brought up there, as well as having someone complain and send that to the cops? Bigger things afoot, me thinks

Last edited by 01RedDX; 05-06-2020 at 12:58 PM.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    You ask for disclosure, say you're fighting it. When the person who complained never shows, i think you're pretty well set? If they don't have a video of you rolling up in between and just the screen grab, isn't it your word against theirs about who was in that spot first?

I am curious however..why is this photo also on reddit (which you didnt link the post..). What did you do to get brought up there, as well as having someone complain and send that to the cops? Bigger things afoot, me thinks
    There are two separate photo's. One that is stapled on my offense notice. This image is apparently taken from the school bus on my right. The other picture, the Reddit pic, is from someone who just so happened to be behind me to my left. I have no idea who they are or why they thought to take a pic, tho I am happy they did. I did nothing malicious or to cause attention. IIRC, I was following the bus up to the light. The dodge truck was already there. Bus stopped. I signaled left, shoulder checked and proceeded to stop light and waited. I vividly remember the bus creeping forward on my right. At this time, a Redditor is now behind the truck taking a pic. Light turns green, I proceed thru intersection.

I get home, eventually check Reddit to find a photo of myself on the Red Deer sub.

Here is the Reddit link: https://www.reddit.com/r/RedDeer/com...pm_on_tuesday/
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-06-2020 at 05:13 PM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by Rat Fink View Post
    I think your defence should focus on disproving the stunting. Search Canlii.org for relevant case law to bring up. I remember a piece of case law floating around on there about a squeegee guy who got a stunting ticket and it was dropped because the judge determined it was nothing more than a minor inconvenience. Could be a similar application since everyone was stopped. Who did it actually interfere with or startle? I just picture the bus driver to be like Maude Flanders and be so traumatized all day over it haha. I have found plenty of motorists in this part of the world have a primal reaction over claiming ownership of a roadway that doesn’t exist in other parts of the world. Pretty sad because it leads to all kinds of road rage bullshit and petty incidents like this one that will waste your time. With all the distracted driving pricks my worry on a motorcycle would to not get crushed into the vehicle in front of me.
    Quick!! Someone lock this thread before OP argues with this.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Quote Originally Posted by Rat Fink View Post
    I think your defence should focus on disproving the stunting. Search Canlii.org for relevant case law to bring up. I remember a piece of case law floating around on there about a squeegee guy who got a stunting ticket and it was dropped because the judge determined it was nothing more than a minor inconvenience. Could be a similar application since everyone was stopped. Who did it actually interfere with or startle? I just picture the bus driver to be like Maude Flanders and be so traumatized all day over it haha. I have found plenty of motorists in this part of the world have a primal reaction over claiming ownership of a roadway that doesn’t exist in other parts of the world. Pretty sad because it leads to all kinds of road rage bullshit and petty incidents like this one that will waste your time. With all the distracted driving pricks my worry on a motorcycle would to not get crushed into the vehicle in front of me.
    Agree 100%. Removing myself from the the crush zone is why I'm such a major supporter of filtering. That is the only reason why I filter. It isn't about getting ahead of people or 'butting in line'. It's about mitigating risk. But the end result is a $540 ticket for being safer? That's ridiculous. It really is a shame I have to deal with the whole stunting bullshit instead of getting down to brass tacks about the legalities of lane filtering.

I'll take a look on Canlii.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    What of the fact that lane changing is not permitted where there is a solid white line and your motorcycle appears to be stopped right on top of a solid white line. By the wording of what is not allowed by a solid white line then the lanes would have to be on either side of that white line which would suggest that you were not in a lane.

There is as much, if not more, in the various statutes that go against your lane argument that it seems to be folly to be going down that path. The stunting charge may very hold as the drivers on either side of you may have been surprised or even startled to have some vehicle come up between them. Stunting is very broad as others have pointed out, I got one back in the early 80's for having the back end of my car swing out more than it should of while making a left hand turn on snowy/icy streets - dumbass young guy in a RWD can't gave a little fun at night on an empty street.
    But you are permitted to cross a solid line in order to pass in an urban area.

OP needs to be fighting the stunting portion, not the definition of a lane though. Have an argument ready to go, but letting them know he plans to fight this and then switching the court date at the last minute will probably be enough to make it so their witness doesn't show up and the ticket gets tossed. Request disclosure of the video that the screen grab was taken from and the Crown will need to have the driver and maybe the supervisor who pulled the video show up. I doubt that two school bus company employees are going to show up to testify and have to reschedule when OP switches the date as late as possible.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Win or lose... I'm pretty excited about it. I love this sort of thing. I'm wondering if I should retain legal council tho to give me the extra help...
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    ute

now is your time to shine @shakalaka

Quote Originally Posted by FraserB View Post
    But you are permitted to cross a solid line in order to pass in an urban area.

OP needs to be fighting the stunting portion, not the definition of a lane though. Have an argument ready to go, but letting them know he plans to fight this and then switching the court date at the last minute will probably be enough to make it so their witness doesn't show up and the ticket gets tossed. Request disclosure of the video that the screen grab was taken from and the Crown will need to have the driver and maybe the supervisor who pulled the video show up. I doubt that two school bus company employees are going to show up to testify and have to reschedule when OP switches the date as late as possible.
    Yellow solid lines in urban areas, yes. Solid white lines are not to be crossed whether passing or changing lanes.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Yellow solid lines in urban areas, yes. Solid white lines are not to be crossed whether passing or changing lanes.
    Section 15 of UHRR reg deals with the lines. It actually doesn't specify any colour.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

15(1)(b) in the case of a highway in an urban area where a single
    solid line only exists between traffic lanes, a person shall
    not drive the vehicle so that the vehicle or any portion of
    the vehicle crosses the single solid line from one traffic
    lane to another except when overtaking and passing
    another vehicle
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    The definition of stunting is very broad. Anything can be considered stunting. If you’re a hot chick and distracting that’s stunting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman.45 View Post
    I was charged with stunting because my GF had her feet up on the dash on her side back in the early 90s.
    Pics of said girlfriend preferably from the 90's please?
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

You can probably get off solely based off the fact that they can't prove YOU were the one riding the bike. If you were pulled over and identified it would be a different story.

Anyone who has spent time in California or Europe knows that lane-splitting is an intelligent traffic management policy.

https://www.chp.ca.gov/PressReleases...ss_Release.pdf
    Last edited by zipdoa; 11-07-2019 at 09:42 AM.
    Originally posted by InRich
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    Originally posted by InRich
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast