Quantcast
I got a stunting ticket in the mail. Dash cam user complained to police about me. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 20 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: I got a stunting ticket in the mail. Dash cam user complained to police about me.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Default I got a stunting ticket in the mail. Dash cam user complained to police about me.

You guys are going to love this one. I hummed and hawed about posting this but decided to seek advice from the level headed users of Beyond.

I got home from work today and my fiancee had picked up the mail. There was an envelope there for me. I opened up to a bright yellow ticket for stunting - $543.00. It was stapled to a letter from a Community Peace Officer. There was also a clear picture stapled to that which shows me committing the offence.

So what did I do?..... I filtered between two stopped vehicles to the stop line at a red light.

Lets talk about the letter first. It states that the CPO received a written complaint regarding a vehicle registered in my name. It states how on Oct. 15 at approx 4:03pm, I was northbound on 2A. "According to witness, your vehicle (motorcycle) was seen driving between vehicles as they were stopped for the red-light intersection, facing northbound."

The picture attached to the letter is from my immediate 5 o'clock position on my right. It appears to be a screen grab of a dash-cam as it shows speed telemetry, date and time, etc. It clearly shows the rear of my bike, plate, and my back and helmet.

I tried to think back to that date. I remember filtering. I remember a dodge diesel to my immediate left, but I couldn't remember much else. EXCEPT I did remember a thread on reddit posted the same day. That post was made by a person who was also in the area that day. In fact, they happened to be behind the dodge diesel on my left... and they also took a picture of me and posted it to reddit. HERE IS THEIR PIC: https://i.redd.it/pmay42ddgss31.jpg

And then it all fell in place. The person on my right is a school bus. The picture attached to my letter appears to be from their new stop-arm cameras. Some school buses have cameras on their sides to record people driving by the bus when their stop arm is active. It looks like the school bus driver took a screen grab, cropped it, and submitted their complaint to our CPO, who then issued me a ticket thru the mail.

As most of you probably know, I'm a big supporter of lane filtering as it makes riding much safer. I got a speeding ticket early last year and decided to hire a traffic lawyer out of Red Deer because I didn't want demerits. During that time, I took the opportunity to talk about the legalities of lane filtering with him. I brought his attention to the following Regulation...

ALBERTA TRAFFIC SAFETY ACT - USE OF HIGHWAY AND RULES OF THE ROAD REGULATION.

SECTION 1 (t) “traffic lane” means

(i) outside an urban area, a longitudinal division of a
    roadway into a strip of sufficient width to
    accommodate the passage of a single line of vehicles
    but does not include a parking lane, and

(ii) inside an urban area, a longitudinal division of a
    roadway into a strip of sufficient width to
    accommodate the passage of a single line of vehicles,

whether or not the division is indicated by lines on the
    road surface.

He agreed that the wording makes the act of lane filtering sound very much legal. I'd like to get the ticket quashed without going to trial. Can I just go in and talk to a JOP or Crown Prosecutor? I am prepared to take it all the way to trial if need be. Court date to enter a plea is on my days off.

What do the wise minds of beyond have to say about this? Other than the few who disagree on the net safety benefit of the act of filtering itself of course....

Should I pursue this? Possible precedent setting?
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

So your defense is that you did it, but it's not illegal?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    So your defense is that you did it, but it's not illegal?
    My defense would be explaining that the definition of a lane in the UHRR reg defines a lane existing between the stopped cars. There is no 'filtering or splitting' as a lane lawfully exists between the stopped vehicles.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

Quote Originally Posted by 16hypen3sp View Post
    My defense would be explaining that the definition of a lane in the UHRR reg defines a lane existing between the stopped cars. There is no 'filtering or splitting' as a lane lawfully exists between the stopped vehicles.
    Methinks you're pulling straws.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    Methinks you're pulling straws.
    Possibly. But if it's written in the law as legal, then it's legal. Just has to be shown.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I can't comment on your interpretation of the law. But your odds of satisfaction don’t seem terribly high.

Take the hours and dollars you might spend on this and do something more rewarding. Get a massage, hire a hooker, go for a hike, something bro.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I can't comment on your interpretation of the law. But your odds of satisfaction don’t seem terribly high.

Take the hours and dollars you might spend on this and do something more rewarding. Get a massage, hire a hooker, go for a hike, something bro.
    Honestly, I've already done the research involved. I knew eventually something like this would happen. I've always had the info on the law in the back of mind. Just didn't think I'd get the ticket because of a school bus driver and her camera lol
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Pretty sure the complainant has to show up if you fight it. Request disclosure and let them know you're fighting it, I bet the Crown can't get their witness to show up.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by FraserB View Post
    Pretty sure the complainant has to show up if you fight it. Request disclosure and let them know you're fighting it, I bet the Crown can't get their witness to show up.
    That, and I can't see you being guilty of stunting anymore than vehicular homicide. Parking between 2 vehicles is the shittiest stunt ever.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

If I was still riding, I would go for this - however be aware that you will be hassled for it by morally outraged motorists and cops - just make sure to carry the law with you as well as the judgement.

Many people here dont even know that its legal to pass on a SINGLE SOLID YELLOW line. I've had idiots honk and yell at me.

Also, filtering has to be done at a slow enough speed differential and with slow or stopped traffic. Otherwise you end up like Eliott Hayward (snowcat) and smash.
    Last edited by revelations; 11-06-2019 at 07:45 PM.

My Ride
    ute

Just tell them you are a freeman on the land and you don't recognize their legal authority.

Works every time.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by Darell_n View Post
    That, and I can't see you being guilty of stunting anymore than vehicular homicide. Parking between 2 vehicles is the shittiest stunt ever.
    This is the angle you should be going after.
    What you did was very very likely illegal, but it sure as fuck was NOT "Stunting".
    Don't waste time trying to reinvent the TSA regarding Lane splitting or filtering. Say that you were not stunting.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

The definition of stunting is very broad. Anything can be considered stunting. If you’re a hot chick and distracting that’s stunting.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

So your saying if you can fit your vehicle somewhere, it’s a lane? Your interpretation would lead to absolute chaos. No way they would agree with you.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by blitz View Post
    So your saying if you can fit your vehicle somewhere, it’s a lane? Your interpretation would lead to absolute chaos. No way they would agree with you.
    Sounds like how winter driving is...

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

The law clearly states that the definition of a lane is not the broken white lines. It's a longitudinal strip of sufficient width that can accommodate the passage of a single line of vehicle. In this case - motorcycle. Could also be moped or cyclist.

The strip of sufficient width is the definition of the law regardless of the broken white lines. Therefore, a lane exists in that spot. If the school bus and dodge truck were closer together, there may not be sufficient width, thus, no lane.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    The definition of stunting is very broad. Anything can be considered stunting. If you’re a hot chick and distracting that’s stunting.
    Yea this - even cornering too fast is stunting.

If a rider dropped a knee down in a corner (while going the limit), it could be stunting.

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

The law clearly states that the definition of a lane is not the broken white lines. It's a longitudinal strip of sufficient width that can accommodate the passage of a single line of vehicle. In this case - motorcycle. Could also be moped or cyclist.

The strip of sufficient width is the definition of the law regardless of the broken white lines. Therefore, a lane exists in that spot. If the school bus and dodge truck were closer together, there may not be sufficient width, thus, no lane.
    Quote Originally Posted by blitz View Post
    Good point.

Like this BMW lane splitting on the QE2, is the OP implying that this is also legal?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...erta-1.3532601
    Last edited by 90_Shelby; 11-06-2019 at 08:39 PM.
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by 90_Shelby View Post
    Good point.

Like this BMW lane splitting on the QE2, is the OP implying that this is also legal?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...erta-1.3532601
    I’m no car guy. But that’s definitely an Infiniti.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    Yea this - even cornering too fast is stunting.

If a rider dropped a knee down in a corner (while going the limit), it could be stunting.
    Stunting tickets in the red mile for laying on the horn is a good one. Another one was someone not even in a car, but held up a sign warning about multinova camera truck ahead. Those are my favorite examples of stunting.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Page 1 of 20 1 2 11 ... LastLast