Quantcast
I got a stunting ticket in the mail. Dash cam user complained to police about me. - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 15 ... LastLast

Thread: I got a stunting ticket in the mail. Dash cam user complained to police about me.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by 16hypen3sp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So, I guess the general consensus here is - filtering by motorcycle is illegal and guilty of stunting? That really sucks guys. I really don't want to sit on my bike in the crush zone. But, thanks for all the constructive criticism in this thread. Interesting discussion.
    Until it's specifically written within the TSA, it's not legal, period. It's not a consensus, it's the law, and as I stated, many ways to charge you if you do it. Stunting, it's so broad, and no case law, it's hit and miss if you're going to be found guilty. The criticism is how you're approaching this. Making filtering not stunting still won't make filtering legal, which is what you're after.

I get it, there are benefits to lane filtering, you need to be an activist and try to make it legal if you want to spend your time wisely. If you want real criticism, the majority benefits of filtering is for motorcyclists. There are some safety aspects, but really negligible. It's all about convenience more than anything. Arguing otherwise is no different than trying to allow straight pipes on bikes in the guise of safety.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Ok. I think what my plan will be is confirm that the ticket is RO (I'm scared from the last time they fucked up my abstract) and then pay the fine with no demerits and go back to sitting in the crush zone.

That seems to be what the Beyond Hivemind says.

Anyone have any objections?
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    which is likely what’s going to happen when you try to argue the legality of filtering in court
    No way they'd try to bump it up in court, they cant prove its him. Unless he said it was haha

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    No way they'd try to bump it up in court, they cant prove its him. Unless he said it was haha
    Which I think once you get flustered in court, you would fuck up.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Hybrid

Ok. I think what my plan will be is confirm that the ticket is RO (I'm scared from the last time they fucked up my abstract) and then pay the fine with no demerits and go back to sitting in the crush zone.

You could always try request disclosure and hope that the witness (video taker) doesn't show up in court (especially if the court date is a school day) to try to get out of the fine. You can advocate for filtering and try to change the laws, but winning over a stunting ticket won't set a precedent to make it legal.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Let's say you win and it's not stunting. Can still charge you with it and go through this shit again. Or next ticket is just a different charge. Point is, filtering is not legal in Canada but you want to get away with it. I mean look at all the shit they can charge you with.

http://www.thepointman.ca/offenses-demerit-points.php

Drive near centre line 2(1)(b) 2
    Driving left of centre 12(1) 3
    Unsafe lane change 15(4) 2
    Failing to drive in middle of marked lane 15(5) 2
    Straddling 2 lanes 15(6) 2
    Proceeding when unsafe 38 3
    Passing vehicle stopped at crosswalk 41(2) 4
    Careless driving charge 115(2)(b) 6

Shit's so open to interpretation, that's a 10 second guess at what you can interpret as a charge for filtering.

Also, no idea if going to court converts it from RO to a real ticket with demerits. I assume that can't happen if you don't ID yourself as the driver. I've never actually known anyone go to court on an RO.
    Don't forget the equipment violations too. That plate is definitely not legal. Also pretty sure the signal lights aren't legal either

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Quote Originally Posted by Strider View Post
    You could always try request disclosure and hope that the witness (video taker) doesn't show up in court (especially if the court date is a school day) to try to get out of the fine. You can advocate for filtering and try to change the laws, but winning over a stunting ticket won't set a precedent to make it legal.
    I dunno man. If I went to court and she showed up, I'd probably have to incriminate myself and I don't know if that puts the RO part of the violation at risk. Can't have the demerits against me. I just can't.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I take it back. Go fight it your way. Let us know how it goes.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Don't forget the equipment violations too. That plate is definitely not legal. Also pretty sure the signal lights aren't legal either
    Plates legal. Clearly visible at all times, legible, and illuminated at night.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    6.2 / 690

As much as I'd like to see how it would all play out, you're probably better off just showing up before court and asking for a reduction to something other than stunting

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Sorry to hear about the ticket.

I know the ticket is for stunting, but as a side note it sucks that not being able to filter is an inherent risk every motorcylist on the road needs to take.

Passive aggressively telling us that we're condemning you to sitting in the crush zone has no utility. I don't think any of us would want anyone to get injured or die but the reality is that you really can't ignore the law on filtering.

I hope you can at least get a reduction and move on about your day. On a brighter note, winter is here and you won't be getting another one of these tickets for at least 5 months

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post
    Sorry to hear about the ticket.

I know the ticket is for stunting, but as a side note it sucks that not being able to filter is an inherent risk every motorcylist on the road needs to take.

Passive aggressively telling us that we're condemning you to sitting in the crush zone has no utility. I don't think any of us would want anyone to get injured or die but the reality is that you really can't ignore the law on filtering.

I hope you can at least get a reduction and move on about your day. On a brighter note, winter is here and you won't be getting another one of these tickets for at least 5 months
    Ahh, yah know. Traffic tickets are just a part of life. These things happen. But stunting for filtering? C'mon, why couldn't I get it for something cool? Like wheelie's lol.

It really does suck not being able to filter. It's just far safer. Motorcyclists are part of the "vulnerable road users" group designated by AB Transporatation. You would think that there wouldn't be legislation in place preventing them from being safer among fellow motorists.

I think the tone of my posts was misinterpreted by a few people here. I think I struck a nerve with a couple fellow beyonders which absolutely was not my intention at all. I apologize for that. I posted here because Beyond is usually full of level headed individuals, a rarity on the internet. Nevertheless, according to how most feel here, I will have to sit in the crush zone. There doesn't appear to be a way around it because of current legislation and, as most can tell, I think it's absolute bullshit that's the case. The people who made the rules probably didn't partake in the activity and, worse, probably don't see a problem with how the rules are. Also, I'm kind of surprised at the frosty reception towards filtering on Beyond... someone even gave me negative rep.

I'll see about the reduction. I'll just pay and move on. I'm scared of mail now... between the CRA crap and this, it's been a bad run of mail with my name on it. Cheers!
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    2002 330xi, 1992 Miata, 1996 Spec Miata, 2012 Ram

Trying to play the safety card at the same time you are choosing to utilize one of the least safe forms of transportation is pretty funny.

My Ride
    V8s

I don't think there's a frosty reception to filtering at all (on a motorcycle). Filtering is great for everyone; that doesn't make it legal. The frostyness you're feeling is just beyond telling you that you are in for an uphill battle if you attempt to fight this.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    Trying to play the safety card at the same time you are choosing to utilize one of the least safe forms of transportation is pretty funny.
    There is some irony in it but engaging in riskier activities doesn't preclude the right to make it safer to begin with, which is why @rage2 suggests partaking in activism for anything you'd like to see change.

My Ride
    2002 330xi, 1992 Miata, 1996 Spec Miata, 2012 Ram

Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post
    There is some irony in it but engaging in riskier activities doesn't preclude the right to make it safer to begin with, which is why @rage2 suggests partaking in activism for anything you'd like to see change.
    To be clear, I'm not saying it's bad to make moves to be safer. Just pointing out that safety could be found in many different ways.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    Rear end collisions are the most common traffic collision in Alberta. Seems logical to want to mitigate that risk while being a vulnerable road user.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Were you the guy that lane filtered rush hour traffic moving at ~50km/h on Deerfoot just before the Ivor-Strong Bridge a month or so ago? Fucking mental some of you bikers!

My Ride
    This and that.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    now is your time to shine @shakalaka
    Aw man...there's a reason why I stay out of these sort of threads usually. Everyone has given their input and interpreted the same (or similar) legislation(s) in several different ways. That's the beauty of law. All that being said, if the OP wants to stick to his guns and see what he can do with the ticket in court, then all the power to him. Whether or not I think he's got a chance is irrelevant. I mean there maybe issues with the ticket once the disclosure is reviewed in details even if they may not necessarily be what the OP thinks. But I think it's better to let him have his day with it.

Ahh, yah know. Traffic tickets are just a part of life. These things happen. But stunting for filtering? C'mon, why couldn't I get it for something cool? Like wheelie's lol.

It really does suck not being able to filter. It's just far safer. Motorcyclists are part of the "vulnerable road users" group designated by AB Transporatation. You would think that there wouldn't be legislation in place preventing them from being safer among fellow motorists.

I think the tone of my posts was misinterpreted by a few people here. I think I struck a nerve with a couple fellow beyonders which absolutely was not my intention at all. I apologize for that. I posted here because Beyond is usually full of level headed individuals, a rarity on the internet. Nevertheless, according to how most feel here, I will have to sit in the crush zone. There doesn't appear to be a way around it because of current legislation and, as most can tell, I think it's absolute bullshit that's the case. The people who made the rules probably didn't partake in the activity and, worse, probably don't see a problem with how the rules are. Also, I'm kind of surprised at the frosty reception towards filtering on Beyond... someone even gave me negative rep.

I'll see about the reduction. I'll just pay and move on. I'm scared of mail now... between the CRA crap and this, it's been a bad run of mail with my name on it. Cheers!
    Just a quick tidbit. Your convenience and "safety" have no place being ranked higher than the worth of other motorists convenience and safety, just because you ride a motorcycle. It's ironic that you continue to try and make it about safety, when you're more likely to be hit by some road rager due to filtering, than you would be to get rear ended by a car while sitting in the "crush zone".

I don't think there was ever a time on my bike where I thought to myself, "You know what would be a good idea? I should pull up in this non existent lane between two idiots who don't expect me coming and are likely to smash me when I spook them."

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 15 ... LastLast