Quantcast
I got a stunting ticket in the mail. Dash cam user complained to police about me. - Page 9 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 19 ... LastLast

Thread: I got a stunting ticket in the mail. Dash cam user complained to police about me.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Why are you coming back to the lane markings again and again? The Crown is going to try to show that your actions distracted, startled or interfered with another road user, not that you were breaking some other section of the TSA. Even if you somehow convince a judge that a third lane exists between two vehicles that are within their respective marked lanes, it doesn't do anything to show that your actions didn't distract, startle or interfere with another road user.

Toss the driver up on the stand and when they say that they were surprised to see you sneaking up between them and truck beside then and they had to take extra care not to hit you because of how close you were, that's pretty much all three points.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

^ You pull up at stop line. Pick up truck pulls up to stop line next to you in their lane. You're surprised.

You think that warrants a stunting charge on the truck driver?

No. I didn't think so. Now, replace pick up truck with motorbike and here we are.

they had to take extra care not to hit you

How so? They're not moving. They're stopped at a red light.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You can also look up revelant case law to this situation as well.
    I took a look but didn't really find anything relevant to this. Unless I missed something. I looked on CanLii
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by 16hypen3sp View Post
    ^ You pull up at stop line. Pick up truck pulls up to stop line next to you in their lane. You're surprised.

No. I didn't think so. Now, replace pick up truck with motorbike and here we are.

- - - Updated - - -

I took a look but didn't really find anything relevant to this. Unless I missed something. I looked on CanLii
    I think the actual argument should be based around the fact that anything can startle a person while they are stopped at a light... loud horn... loud exhaust... sirens... music.. etc. If a user is startled by a cop car whizzing by and causes an accident is the cop car at fault? Or the the person who got startled? If you startle that easy should be driving on the road?

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

- - - Updated - - -

How about I stop at a light. The vehicle next to me stops at a light. Then all of a sudden I hear your exhaust and look over and there's a bike that appeared between us. And I don't know if you are just going to sit there or pin it when the light turns green. And are you going to cut me off or the truck, because you are going to change into one of our lanes.

But yeah ... keep going through your mental gymnastics trying to justify things.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    How about I stop at a light. The vehicle next to me stops at a light. Then all of a sudden I hear your exhaust and look over and there's a bike that appeared between us. And I don't know if you are just going to sit there or pin it when the light turns green. And are you going to cut me off or the truck, because you are going to change into one of our lanes.

But yeah ... keep going through your mental gymnastics trying to justify things.
    The bike will be way down the road before you would even catch it. The bike could be through the next light and you'd never see them again.

A bike the majority of the time will out accelerate a car from a stop light so what does it matter? You are too focused on being a "I'm a driver and this is my road" type personality.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    The bike will be way down the road before you would even catch it. The bike could be through the next light and you'd never see them again.

A bike the majority of the time will out accelerate a car from a stop light so what does it matter? You are too focused on being a "I'm a driver and this is my road" type personality.
    It would be a very weird thing to assume that the bike is going to out accelerate you, even if it is the majority of the time. If you're riding normal, you would likely be going at the same pace, not ripping it.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    It would be a very weird thing to assume that the bike is going to out accelerate you, even if it is the majority of the time. If you're riding normal, you would likely be going at the same pace, not ripping it.
    Lets be honest here.. who honestly rides a bike and just "cruises" from a light? The majority of people will accelerate too or past the speed limit once the light turns green.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

This whole "if there's room it's a lane" argument is really stupid. If a smart car can squeeze fit in the same situation as the OP, would that be ok too? It would be chaos on the roads.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Ironically, that would be textbook stunting right there.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Lets be honest here.. who honestly rides a bike and just "cruises" from a light? The majority of people will accelerate too or past the speed limit once the light turns green.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Exactly lol.
    My point is that if you even bring this up in court, it would work against you.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

There have been many times where I'll be in my truck in the furthest right lane at the stop line at a red light. Another vehicle, truck or car or cycle, wants to turn right and sneaks between my truck and the curb and proceeds to make their right turn. Effectively, they "filtered" to make their turn.

Are you saying it is illegal to do that? I don't think so.
    Wait, I thought that driving up the shoulder like that was illegal by the word of the law, just not regularly enforced. Is it not?

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Yeah well standing on your pegs can be considered stunting too.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

This thread just serves to remind me some nimby is probably going to complain about my exhaust at a traffic light one day and I’ll end up with a stunting ticket.

My Ride
    is faster than yours

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    This thread just serves to remind me some nimby is probably going to complain about my exhaust at a traffic light one day and I’ll end up with a stunting ticket.
    I'm regularly worried about that with the brown car when in the city. Though one day on 64 Ave near Deerfoot City, I pulled up at a stop light and thought I was going to be screwed. To my left was a CPS van with two officers waiting to turn left and to my right was a CPS cruiser with 1-2 officers. The cruiser driver had his window down which meant it was right in line with the 5" exhaust straight off the turbo exiting in front of the front tire.

Neither of them looked over at the car...phwew!

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Quote Originally Posted by BerserkerCatSplat View Post
    Wait, I thought that driving up the shoulder like that was illegal by the word of the law, just not regularly enforced. Is it not?
    There is no shoulder. It's just curb and then road surface. No single solid white line.(from right to left)

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    It appears that people can just complain about anything and you can get a stunting ticket.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Quote Originally Posted by blitz View Post
    This whole "if there's room it's a lane" argument is really stupid. If a smart car can squeeze fit in the same situation as the OP, would that be ok too? It would be chaos on the roads.
    Man, how is it stupid? The definition in the law is literally about a strip of roadway being wide enough to accommodate the vehicle. The lane markings mean nothing.

Where it becomes dicey is where we start debating what is 'wide enough' or, in the case of the law, what is the definition of "sufficient width"?
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

It appears that people can just complain about anything and you can get a stunting ticket.
    Yup. It’s one of the most broad and often abused traffic violations.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Today I learned it reasonable to drive around stopped cars if you are faster than them.

- - - Updated - - -

Man, how is it stupid? The definition in the law is literally about a strip of roadway being wide enough to accommodate the vehicle. The lane markings mean nothing.

Where it becomes dicey is where we start debating what is 'wide enough' or, in the case of the law, what is the definition of "sufficient width"?
    Well I’m not allowed closer than 1.5 meters from a cyclist. So let’s start there.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Today I learned it reasonable to drive around stopped cars if you are faster than them.

- - - Updated - - -

Well I’m not allowed closer than 1.5 meters from a cyclist. So let’s start there.
    In Calgary, not sure if that applies elsewhere. All I'm seeing here is someone who wants the definition of a lane to suit their needs depending on the particular situation, pretty much all of us accept lane markings as a definition of where one lane ends and the neighboring lane begins. OP apparently does not.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    *The First*

Erin Brockovich was a movie about a chick with massive cans, winning based on (allegedly's) discrimination against fundamental rights.
    This has zero of those things.

Not a feel-good movie.
    Not huge cans.
    Not a valid legal argument (not even close)
    Not a fucking leg to stand on.

But def don't follow the advice of UrrVryOne and plead it down. Def try to force a revision to the TSA. It's not like anyone has advised about the futility of that effort.

Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 19 ... LastLast