Quantcast
Don Cherry fired - Page 6 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Don Cherry fired

My Ride
    370Z duhh

Ok boomers...Don Cherry himself isn't even whining about this. I respect him for that. Love the hypocrisy from his supporters though. Whining about whining.

Quote Originally Posted by sexualbanana View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He barred the team from drafting any European players when he owned the Mississauga Ice Dogs because he wanted to keep the game Canadian. His schtick has always been about keeping the game as violent and Canadian as possible (interpret that how you may). And he described himself in the early-90's as a nationalist.
    Our Prime-minister dressed up in black face on three known occasions. But isn’t racist because it was a costume! Am I doing this right?

But also because you can't say shit like that on TV, let alone a national broadcast. We've seen what happens when people use platforms to spread a message that is discriminatory and inflammatory.
    Much the same way celebrities use their following to spread asinine and discriminatory opinions and no one bats an eye.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    Our Prime-minister dressed up in black face on three known occasions. But isn’t racist because it was a costume! Am I doing this right?

Much the same way celebrities use their following to spread asinine and discriminatory opinions and no one bats an eye.
    Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    Oh, no. It's very racist, but you're judging what Trudeau did 15 some-odd years ago through the lens of 2020. Does Trudeau have a tendency to be tone-deaf and give little or no regard to optics? Yes. Do I think he's racist or a bigot? Outside of a poor costume decision, I haven't seen him do or say anything since.

Cherry, on the other hand, has been doing the same thing for many years. On it's own, it's a dumb thing to say once. But it's not the first time he has trumpeted an anti-foreigner sentiment, and this was likely the straw that finally broke the horse's back.

Was I personally offended at what he said? No. But I recognize the dangers in what he said because it unfairly singles out "You (those) people... that come here...", especially when you consider the growing anti-foreigner/-immigrant sentiment that has been brewing.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Model S

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Except it's now being manipulated by vocal minorities. Maybe not in this case (haven't had time to look at the sentiment split) but yea, that's the point of cancel culture, to knee jerk react to minorities (in market share lol).
    Yep, look at Roseanne. She didn’t make a racist comment unless you made some assumptions about what she was implying, which she clarified on Norm Macdonald’s youtube show, Rogan, etc. Turns out it was nothing. But that doesn’t matter. She liked Trump, therefore was the enemy and had to be taken out at all costs. So they were opportunistic and pounced at the first opportunity and didn’t even care what she meant. And it was a vocal minority causing a PR issue, as evidenced by the ratings for “The Connors” which TANKED compared to Roseanne.

Exact same thing with Cherry. Nobody really cares what he said or meant, as evidenced by this thread. The people who hate him for who knows what thing he said a decade ago that they held onto just want to see him go down. It’s not about this comment, it’s about being opportunistic to satisfy a long held grudge. The whole argument about it not being cancel culture but instead being the market working is absolutely bunk. If ratings started to tank and they fired him as a result, that would be true. But that’s never the case in these controversies.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Quote Originally Posted by googe View Post
    Yep, look at Roseanne. She didn’t make a racist comment unless you made some assumptions about what she was implying, which she clarified on Norm Macdonald’s youtube show, Rogan, etc. Turns out it was nothing. But that doesn’t matter. She liked Trump, therefore was the enemy and had to be taken out at all costs. So they were opportunistic and pounced at the first opportunity and didn’t even care what she meant. And it was a vocal minority causing a PR issue, as evidenced by the ratings for “The Connors” which TANKED compared to Roseanne.

Exact same thing with Cherry. Nobody really cares what he said or meant, as evidenced by this thread. The people who hate him for who knows what thing he said a decade ago that they held onto just want to see him go down. It’s not about this comment, it’s about being opportunistic to satisfy a long held grudge. The whole argument about it not being cancel culture but instead being the market working is absolutely bunk. If ratings started to tank and they fired him as a result, that would be true. But that’s never the case in these controversies.
    But at what point do you figure enough is enough? If it was a singular incident, it's fair to write it off as an accident. But Cherry has been doing this for years and people have generally grown more sensitive to those topics. Just because it was okay 20 years ago, doesn't mean it's okay now. People thought segregation was fantastic in the 50's, and you'd probably be a little hard pressed to find more than a handful of people who truly believed in it.

You could argue that it's just as bad for Sportsnet and CBC to have enabled as long as they have - and you would be correct to criticize them. But every decision any broadcaster makes is bound to be politicized whether you want to or not. If this gave them an opportunity to finally let him go, then have at it, especially if he has no desire to change his message.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Sportsnet doesn't give a shit about what Don said, and neither did Ron. Only when the huge backlash happened that they had to do damage control and say/do something.

What is most sad and Don pointed out in his interview on Global today, was Ron's disappointing response that completely threw him under the bus. Didn't even defend his friend or give him any benefit of the doubt even though he was nodding at what Don said in the moment. Wonder how many times Don helped Ron out before and this is what happens now lol. What a shitty friend and I lost a lot of respect for Ron.
    Last edited by Disoblige; 11-13-2019 at 01:03 AM.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Oh, no. It's very racist, but you're judging what Trudeau did 15 some-odd years ago through the lens of 2020.
    15-years ago we were in University and wearing blackface was a very racist thing to do.

Trudeau as Prime Minister needs to be held to a higher standard than a TV personality.

Don does the normal thing and goes on Tucker Carlson to defend himself, he proceeds to get to feel
    How Ron must when the other guys goes off when Carlson calls ‘those people’ fascists with no feelings.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

But at what point do you figure enough is enough? If it was a singular incident, it's fair to write it off as an accident. But Cherry has been doing this for years and people have generally grown more sensitive to those topics. Just because it was okay 20 years ago, doesn't mean it's okay now. People thought segregation was fantastic in the 50's, and you'd probably be a little hard pressed to find more than a handful of people who truly believed in it.

You could argue that it's just as bad for Sportsnet and CBC to have enabled as long as they have - and you would be correct to criticize them. But every decision any broadcaster makes is bound to be politicized whether you want to or not. If this gave them an opportunity to finally let him go, then have at it, especially if he has no desire to change his message.
    Just to be clear again, they had the opportunity to not renew his contract 4 months ago. This wasn’t a case of waiting for an opportunity to finally let him go.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Just to be clear again, they had the opportunity to not renew his contract 4 months ago. This wasn’t a case of waiting for an opportunity to finally let him go.
    Sure it was. Every time there were rumours his contract wouldn’t get renewed there was backlash from the ‘silent majority.’ The summer was no different. ‘How dare they get rid of him like that. BobCole got a proper send off tour, so should Grapes!’ or ‘Don Cherry IS Canadian hockey!’ and the like. Same happened when there were rumours him and Ron weren’t going to be brought over in the first place with the HNIC brand. Sportsnet was purging talent (but totally not about be money) but you don’t hear much when you’re just canning guys like Kypreos and Mike Johnson, lots of people made a stink with Cherry.

They’ve tested the waters for years in what the response would be if they didn’t bring him back, always eating away a few more seconds to cram another sponsor mention each time. This was their chance to make a clean(ish) break and they took it.

My Ride
    '13 GT1R

Quote Originally Posted by 370Z View Post
    Ok boomers...Don Cherry himself isn't even whining about this. I respect him for that. Love the hypocrisy from his supporters though. Whining about whining.
    Woke up this morning to Facebook friends all crying and offended Don got sacked.

Could you imagine how they would have been triggered if hockey was still CBC and they canned his ass?
    GT1R. 8.82@169
    Mission

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by kertejud2 View Post
    Sure it was. Every time there were rumours his contract wouldn’t get renewed there was backlash from the ‘silent majority.’ The summer was no different. ‘How dare they get rid of him like that. BobCole got a proper send off tour, so should Grapes!’ or ‘Don Cherry IS Canadian hockey!’ and the like. Same happened when there were rumours him and Ron weren’t going to be brought over in the first place with the HNIC brand. Sportsnet was purging talent (but totally not about be money) but you don’t hear much when you’re just canning guys like Kypreos and Mike Johnson, lots of people made a stink with Cherry.

They’ve tested the waters for years in what the response would be if they didn’t bring him back, always eating away a few more seconds to cram another sponsor mention each time. This was their chance to make a clean(ish) break and they took it.
    That’s bullshit, the sentiment this summer was good riddance when the rumors came out that he wasn’t getting renewed. There was no backlash, nobody flooded the complaints channels. If anything once his contract was confirmed everyone was asking why. The reason why SN renewed him while canning others is because Don Cherry comes cheap. He doesn’t care about the money at this stage in life, he just wants to be an asshat on TV in which some people enjoy it, caters to the boomers out there that grew up with him. Cherry has always been profitable for SN as he’s been paid well under market value for years now.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    '13 GT1R

So wait, are you poeple saying that his comments were not racist, nationalist, divisive, "We are better than you"? REALLY??

Honestly?

You see nothing wrong with that?

“You people ... that come here, whatever it is, you love our way of life, you love our milk and honey,”

Of course he should be fired. You don't make these comments on public TV during the national sport and expect not to be fired.
    GT1R. 8.82@169
    Mission

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    What is most sad and Don pointed out in his interview on Global today, was Ron's disappointing response that completely threw him under the bus. Didn't even defend his friend or give him any benefit of the doubt even though he was nodding at what Don said in the moment. Wonder how many times Don helped Ron out before and this is what happens now lol. What a shitty friend and I lost a lot of respect for Ron.
    Yeah that was pretty disappointing. Don has twice gone to the mat for Ron and threatened to quit the show if they didn't renew Ron's contract. Ron did him dirty on this one.

That’s bullshit, the sentiment this summer was good riddance when the rumors came out that he wasn’t getting renewed. There was no backlash, nobody flooded the complaints channels. If anything once his contract was confirmed everyone was asking why.
    From the same people that always have wanted him renewed. Elsewhere among the 'sports crowd' it was the same old 'Cherry is hockey' stuff that has been going on for well over a decade.

The reason why SN renewed him while canning others is because Don Cherry comes cheap.
    He famously didn't come cheap, which is why the CBC was always under scrutiny for his salary. He's been HNICs highest paid personality for ages, only a handful of people in the industry make more. He was reportedly around the same salary as Bob McCown who was Sportsnet's highest paid personality, and McCown put in a lot more hours than Cherry did.

Cherry has always been profitable for SN as he’s been paid well under market value for years now.
    Yet cancel culture was able to make Sportsnet ignore these profits and make them fire Cherry for non-money related reasons. Quite an impressive feat from a bunch of snowflakes wouldn't you say? If they can make a company that is bleeding from their bad broadcasting deal money away from profits who knows what they can do next.

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

So how do you guys feel about these comments from this random chick on TV Jessica Allen? (Can’t find a good link will keep looking, check your Facebook front page haha)

I feel like this is where the double standard will kick in and because it goes with the narrative these days it will be ok what she said lol.. but I mean it was pretty ridiculous in my opinion.

Edit: https://www.facebook.com/17345245949...3?vh=e&sfns=cl

Does that work?

My Ride
    Toyota, VQ35DE, B58

Thumbs down Just give it a rest

Quote Originally Posted by davidI View Post
    15-years ago we were in University and wearing blackface was a very racist thing to do.

Trudeau as Prime Minister needs to be held to a higher standard than a TV personality.
    It still vex me to see people comparing DC situation with JT's black face.

Precursor - I am a PC supporter, and Andrew Scheer is god damn horrible choice as a leader, (Lisa Raitt would've done better)

JT did something stupid (no question about it) 20 years ago. However given the social climate and people's awareness 20 years ago, I'd imagine DC's speech probably will fly too. But most importantly, JT's blackface wasn't done on national television while representing as an employee. If JT did the same stunt on television while as the PM of Canada, then we can hold him accountable, but this just isn't the case.

Therefore, drop the "whatabouttism" between the two, and let it go!

It has been over two days, and all those xenophobic people have made their position known. Time to move on.
    Last edited by KLCC; 11-13-2019 at 10:27 AM.

"There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know."
    -- Donald Rumsfeld

Quote Originally Posted by JfuckinC View Post
    So how do you guys feel about these comments from this random chick on TV Jessica Allen? (CanÂ’t find a good link will keep looking, check your Facebook front page haha)

I feel like this is where the double standard will kick in and because it goes with the narrative these days it will be ok what she said lol.. but I mean it was pretty ridiculous in my opinion.

Edit: https://www.facebook.com/17345245949...3?vh=e&sfns=cl

Does that work?
    The youtube link is probably easier

The Social is a very toxic place. Canada's answer to the View. This won't be as big a deal for no other reason than really knows or cares who Jess Allen is because The Social isn't a 'Canadian institution' with high ratings, and whether she's back next week or not will barely be noticed. This clip will make be her 15 minutes and she'll fade away back into obscurity and the show will be excited that their social media presence saw an uptick.

Apparently wearing blackface was okay in 1999. Holy shit.

My Ride
    Toyota, VQ35DE, B58

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    Apparently wearing blackface was okay in 1999. Holy shit.
    Ok Boomer.

I don't see people barking at Jimmy Kimmel or Jimmy Fallon in the 2000 for doing blackface?! Clearly, you like to crucify JT for any reason possible.

"There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know."
    -- Donald Rumsfeld

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast