Quantcast
Don Cherry fired - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Don Cherry fired

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You really think this is about money? If it was Rogers wouldn’t have PR’d apologies including from Ron. This is to please people that are angered by his comments pure and simple. What we’ve lost is choice. There are a million things on TV that I don’t agree with, I have the choice to turn it off. We’ve lost that choice. This is how you create an echo chamber, and this is what I despise about PC culture.
    And your choice is still there. if you disagree with Rogers firing Don Cherry, you can turn them off. You can buy Don's books and videos if you want to support him too, heck, a bunch of them are even available on Amazon with Prime delivery too. What a galaxy of choice! If you want social and political commentary, there's probably broadcast options for that as well. Sports broadcasting is not the right forum for any kind of social or political views. People watch sports to escape those mundane realities, and frankly, Don hasn't had any legitimate sports insight since you were a kid.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Obligatory - best of DC moments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_EVcjxOdgA

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

Don's not wrong and I didn't find that comment offensive. His whole brand is loud opinions, right down to his suit. The game and the world around him has evolved, there's not so many "tough Canadian kids" anymore, almost every player wears a visor, way less fighting and well... viewers that take offense to opinions and can spread their outrage very quickly through social media. He had a good run, he should have retired on his own terms a few years ago. But maybe this is how he wants to go, taking a stance with veterans.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Guy is what, 85? He's had a great run.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Never start a sentence with "You people..." because it never ends well.

Poor Fabricland...

My Ride
    Model S

What's wrong with saying "you people"?

Not an immigrant. Never wore poppies. Not really a Cherry fan. I wouldn't care if he retired. But this is some serious bullshit.

You know what adults do when someone else has an opinion that you don't like? You disregard it and move on. How are you people so fragile? You're going to hear a lot of things you don't agree with. Crying about it is just pathetic. Especially if you're not even an immigrant.

Quote Originally Posted by googe View Post
    What's wrong with saying "you people"?

Not an immigrant. Never wore poppies. Not really a Cherry fan. I wouldn't care if he retired. But this is some serious bullshit.

You know what adults do when someone else has an opinion that you don't like? You disregard it and move on. How are you people so fragile? You're going to hear a lot of things you don't agree with. Crying about it is just pathetic. Especially if you're not even an immigrant.
    I was born here, parents were immigrants.. it took them a while, and me as an adult to rationalize to them what freedom and liberties we enjoy are the result of those who put their lives down to defend them.

Maybe... it will take a while until the 1st gen are able to influence their elders... but let me put this out there..

Rewatched American History X... movie from 99 That provides perspective and education, yet also... also does express issues that 20 years later remain very much the case, with even more polarized views.

Misconceptions I do think exist are things like, Immigrants are taking our jobs, and White privileges.. rather it really is Wealth that separates... not colour

I do have to admit this though... I work with a lot of PRs and immigrants, and many as of late came to Canada due to globalization. Immigrants are actually taking jobs from Canadians and this has all to do with greedy corporations capitalizing on currency differences, but its also changing as now India is moving into a 2nd world demanding much more $$$

However as some do not declare income in Canada... Canada loses out huge.

Can’t blame them... much of their GDP is based upon tech and people just want a better life for themselves and their family.

You have the huge influx of Chinese mainlanders, much like the late 80Â’s-90Â’s wave from HK, who at the least bring Cash with them, and are willing to be educated and work in Canada or North American and do stimulate the economy.

Then you have immigrants who are willing to do jobs that Canadians wonÂ’t... thatÂ’s not a bad thing.. they contribute to the economy in every way.

What though that vary are Values... as there are different strokes for different folks... but if its still dollars back into the 3 levels of government, then that’s a good thing.

Fundamentally however, being a 1st gen... I would probably say more things misconstrued as being racist than saying “you people not wearing poppies

Behaviours I can’t stand, and shame on Canada for making this a charity for exploitation...:
    My mid 40s counterparts from India, who bring their entire extended family with sponsorship for their parents... then listening to them complain about how slow our medical system is, to treat pre-existing conditions they had... meanwhile having a baby where the next oldest child may be nearing their teens.

Sorry to me this doesn’t fly

Or those who don’t respect the rules... whether safety, financial, cutting corners etc... Believe me, I know nobody likes the tax man, but evasion is evasion. Or worse, when you hear about the Trucking companies that have a lifting drivers seat, so nobody has to stop to use the washroom and is running the truck with multiple drives 24x7...
    Last edited by r3ccOs; 11-11-2019 at 10:24 PM.

My Ride
    370Z duhh

Like I said before, what he's saying is somewhat true, but he is obviously turning a blind eye to the majority of white people that don't wear the poppy.... and because of that his true colors really show. There'sno place for attitudes like that.

In this day and age though...i don't believe he should've been fired for that solely as people that have common sense would just laugh it off the same way some of us here have to laugh off the off color shit our own grandparents, or parents, say.

He got fired because sports net has wanted him gone for long time now and this was the perfect excuse.

My Ride
    Lariat 2.7 & StreetTriple R

Quote Originally Posted by 370Z View Post
    Like I said before, what he's saying is somewhat true, but he is obviously turning a blind eye to the majority of white people that don't wear the poppy.... and because of that his true colors really show. There'sno place for attitudes like that.

In this day and age though...i don't believe he should've been fired for that solely as people that have common sense would just laugh it off the same way some of us here have to laugh off the off color shit our own grandparents, or parents, say.

He got fired because sports net has wanted him gone for long time now and this was the perfect excuse.
    https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl...rner-1.5355764

These are Don's comments clarifying the whole thing:

"I know what I said and I meant it. Still do. Everybody in Canada should wear a poppy to honour our fallen soldiers," Cherry told The Canadian Press, saying Sportsnet fired him.

Cherry, however, denies he was singling out visible minorities.

"I did not say minorities, I did not say immigrants. If you watch Coach's Corner, I did not say that. I said 'everybody.' And I said 'you people,"' Cherry said.

"Irish, Scotch, anybody that's newcomers to Canada, and they should wear a poppy to honour our dead from the past, whether they're Scotch or Irish or English, or where they come from."

Cherry added that he could have stayed on "if I had turned into a tame robot who nobody would recognize."

Don Cherry should have been fired years ago. He has made countless racist/inflammatory comments against the French speaking members of Canada. It's pretty fucking rich that immigrants are what finally gets him. As far as I am concerned good riddance.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by mazdavirgin View Post
    Don Cherry should have been fired years ago. He has made countless racist/inflammatory comments against the French speaking members of Canada. It's pretty fucking rich that immigrants are what finally gets him. As far as I am concerned good riddance.
    Quebecois are not a race.

Also, Cherry has picked on pretty much every hockey player who is not Wendal Clark or Tie Domi - like - ie. good 'tough' kids in his book.

First it was the 'sissy' europeans with the visors, back in the 80/90s (Pavel Bure was a 'weasel') and then it just ramped up to anyone.

Its a shtick and Im surprised it lasted this long.

My Ride
    Model S

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

What are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Don Cherry View Post
    You know, I was talking to a veteran, and I said, I’m not going to run the (annual Remembrance Day montage) anymore, because what’s the sense? I live in Mississauga, nobody wears, very few people wear a poppy,” Cherry said on Coach’s Corner. “Downtown Toronto, forget it, downtown Toronto, nobody wears a poppy.

If we're stretching to say "you people" strictly means colored immigrants, then we also need to say that "downtown toronto" means white people. So no, he's calling out everyone for not wearing poppies/supporting veterans.

This is a perfect example of SJW picking and choosing what they want to hear then being outraged and flying into cancel culture. Its absolutely ridiculous.
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Don cherry is not some kind of valuable cultural institution. He is an entertainer that has seen his best days go by several decades ago.
    Why on earth anyone would care what he says, or if he's given a platform to say it, baffles me.
    Because being offended is the thing to do these days.

Nevermind going out to actually create solutions or fix the issues identified - just complain about everyone else on social media and you're good.

Basically, its exactly like saying "How Dare You" not pay a Toonie. Yes, it is the culture we are currently in.

I can say that NASA and Buzz Aldrin offend me without serious consequences, because deep down its the truth. I do wonder if Rob Anders even understands why Don Cherry would immediately be fired for his statements.

Older people tend to not be able to get away with "How Dare You" though.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 11-12-2019 at 06:26 AM.
    Cocoa $10,000 per ton.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

If they truly wanted him gone long ago they could have not renewed his contract 4 months ago. This is knee jerk catering to cancel culture, pure and simple.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

If they truly wanted him gone long ago they could have not renewed his contract 4 months ago. This is knee jerk catering to cancel culture, pure and simple.

What do they benefit by catering to cancel culture?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

This thread is the first time I have heard the phrase "cancel culture" and I like it!

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Sports broadcasting is not the right forum for any kind of social or political views.
    Then why do we have to suffer through the national anthem (s)before every game?

Also, watching kert dig her usual hole of nonsense is fun.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast