Quantcast
Golf gear? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Golf gear?

My Ride
    This and that.

Default Golf gear?

Any other Golfers in here? I used to think it was the most boring sport in the world, until I gave it a try last season and I was hooked. To the point where I am planning a simulator in my new basement potentially. I took some lessons etc to get me started and am continuing to take them. I am in no way good but getting there hopefully one day with shit tons of practice.

Anyway, I digress. The purpose of the post is to see if anyone knows of any good sites to purchase Golf gear from? I purchased a set of cheap Wilson clubs last year ($400'ish) and it was just meant to get me started. Now that I am getting somewhat decent I am looking to upgrade to a nicer complete set (hate individually picking and choosing).

So please share any and all sources for sites and whatever else that have good deals on Golf stuff. Thanks.

Classified section on golfwrx.com

Golftown website has deals pop up all the time. You can sign up for their emails and they send them to you. End of season is usually a great time to pick up anything and everything.

Golftraders /thread

Or cruise through kijiji, i've seen some wicked deals. but you can't test around in that case like you can at golftraders

I picked up a set of Titleist Ap1s a few years ago there for an amazing price

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

+1 for Golf Traders
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

I have a set of Pings that I haven't used in a few years. Only got to play it about 5-10 times.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

There are big winter sales at golf town. Both BF and BD are great. My first reccomendation is that to get better spend your money on skills not equipment. Although you are a gear guy I know.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    V8s

Golf traders and kijiji. If you're looking for something specific, then +1 for golfwrx forum classifieds (except you'll probably have to pay for shipping from the states). Edit: I would shy away from golf town. Their sales aren't good enough to compete with used equipment prices. Tons of people switch golf clubs like you switch cars, there's plenty to choose from out there.

Go get fitted before you buy. It's a negligible cost, and it'll ensure you have the clubs that work the best for you. Not nearly enough people do this, and it can make a big difference. For clarity, I'm talking about finding an actual fitter or pro to do it for you (not at golftown, you won't get a good result from sales teenagers).

A fitting and lessons are the two most valuable things to do when you're getting more serious about golf, and so few people do them. You're halfway there!
    Last edited by bjstare; 08-14-2019 at 07:47 AM.

My Ride
    B6 A4, NA MIATA

golftownpreowned.com have to do some digging but you can find great deals here.
    Also dont know if this is allowed, but I created a casual golf inspired apparel brand for golfers who just want to have fun (and beers) with the boys. Check me out at mulliganclubgolf.com and mulliganclubgolf on IG. Calgary based!

My Ride
    VAG products

I've bought clubs off ebay before and saved money in comparison to going to golf traders.

My Ride
    This and that.

Thanks for all the suggestions and recommendations. Will definitely check them out. I was holding out before purchasing a new set until I got really good. But I went yesterday and had a pretty decent game so thought maybe I should upgrade. I would only do it right now if I came across a good deal. Otherwise, I think a nice will be wasted on me until I build up proper skills. I finished 8 lessons so far and I am taking 10 more at-least and we will see how it goes after that.

Quote Originally Posted by colinxx235 View Post
    Golftraders /thread

Or cruise through kijiji, i've seen some wicked deals. but you can't test around in that case like you can at golftraders

I picked up a set of Titleist Ap1s a few years ago there for an amazing price
    This. Until you get better and get fitted, go to these guys!
    ---------------------------------------------------

Any writings in this forum are my personal view and all opinions expressed should be taken as such; there is no implied or direct opinion representative of anything but my own thoughts on various subjects.

My Ride
    V8s

Fwiw, depending on your body and swing, fitted clubs will make it easier to get better. As soon as you have a relatively consistent move (which you probably do after 8 lessons), a fitting is beneficial.

Hard to explain, but poorly fitted clubs will require you to make stop-gap type fixes with your swing, whereas properly fitted clubs allow you to improve on your swing without having to correct equipment-introduced errors.

My Ride
    VAG products

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    Fwiw, depending on your body and swing, fitted clubs will make it easier to get better. As soon as you have a relatively consistent move (which you probably do after 8 lessons), a fitting is beneficial.

Hard to explain, but poorly fitted clubs will require you to make stop-gap type fixes with your swing, whereas properly fitted clubs allow you to improve on your swing without having to correct equipment-introduced errors.
    Is it dumb to go to a fitting session with your clubs you currently own and hopes they can make adjustments?

Quote Originally Posted by pf0sh0 View Post
    Is it dumb to go to a fitting session with your clubs you currently own and hopes they can make adjustments?
    Not at all, if you have some good iron faces you want to use the adjustments could be anything from changing out shafts, adjusting the lie or loft, cutting the length or recommending increases (this is usually a factor of height and arm length from the ground) and even changing out grip/sizes

They will go through your swing progression and analyze components of your clubs that could be improved upon

My Ride
    VAG products

Quote Originally Posted by colinxx235 View Post
    Not at all, if you have some good iron faces you want to use the adjustments could be anything from changing out shafts, adjusting the lie or loft, cutting the length or recommending increases (this is usually a factor of height and arm length from the ground) and even changing out grip/sizes

They will go through your swing progression and analyze components of your clubs that could be improved upon
    That being said - fitting recommendation places? haha

Quote Originally Posted by pf0sh0 View Post
    They can change everything - just depends how much you want to spend haha. Length and grips are easy to do. I had a set re-gripped (my grips were way too thin) by "Simply Golf" at the Golf Dome for $150. The NGA instructors told me he was one of the best club-fitters out there, and prices were very reasonable so I would try that. Plus you can test them out right away for free.

http://nationalgolfacademy.ca/Instru...Fitting-Repair

My Ride
    VAG products

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    They can change everything - just depends how much you want to spend haha. Length and grips are easy to do. I had a set re-gripped (my grips were way too thin) by "Simply Golf" at the Golf Dome for $150. The NGA instructors told me he was one of the best club-fitters out there, and prices were very reasonable so I would try that. Plus you can test them out right away for free.

http://nationalgolfacademy.ca/Instru...Fitting-Repair
    Thanks for the tip. I haven't been out much this year. Injuries, life, etc. but I think I will get a fitting done at some point!

My Ride
    V8s

Yup, Lyle at simply golf is good. He's done a reasonable amount of club work for me. I have heard he is a good fitter, but haven't used him. If someone has used Ted and Dave at RCGS they should chime in - I know they didn't do a good job building @npham clubs, but they might be good at fitting? They have an outdoor fitting bay, and where possible this is highly preferable.

I would strongly recommend avoiding Erickson's custom clubs. Went to him for a fitting one time; he works out of his garage, so can't fit anything except irons, and didn't do a thorough job. He spent 85% of the time I was there name dropping everyone on tour he's worked with. Idgaf who you've worked for in the past, you already have me in the door, just do your damn job.

My Ride
    VAG products

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    Yup, Lyle at simply golf is good. He's done a reasonable amount of club work for me. I have heard he is a good fitter, but haven't used him. If someone has used Ted and Dave at RCGS they should chime in - I know they didn't do a good job building @npham clubs, but they might be good at fitting? They have an outdoor fitting bay, and where possible this is highly preferable.

I would strongly recommend avoiding Erickson's custom clubs. Went to him for a fitting one time; he works out of his garage, so can't fit anything except irons, and didn't do a thorough job. He spent 85% of the time I was there name dropping everyone on tour he's worked with. Idgaf who you've worked for in the past, you already have me in the door, just do your damn job.
    My buddy just went to Ted and Dave to fit/build him a set of clubs - he seems to be happy with it though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast