Quantcast
RRSP or TFSA. Where to put more $$ - Page 6 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6

Thread: RRSP or TFSA. Where to put more $$

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Chandler_Racing View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You're only considering tax at inception but also have to be mindful of tax efficiency on redemption.

What happens if those investments grow to $450K and you need to withdraw?
    Depends on the stage of your life. If you need money to start home ownership or business, TSFA is better. If you know you are a lifer salaryman in one way or another, do up your RRSP and then put tax refund and then some into TFSA.

Most people work til 60 and live til 90+, you got plenty of time to empty out your RRSP to see lowest possible income tax. And if you are so fucking loaded and still end up in same bracket as $ you put into RRSP, you still got the compound gain.

End of the the day RRSP:TFSA allowance is ~ 5:1 right now. You can max out TFSA quite easy. I can understand some don't leverage RRSP if their income in the lowest 2 brackets, but once you hit $100K+ it's hard not to put at least some into RRSP.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 02-26-2021 at 12:36 PM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Yea the commercials make them seem super desperate.

It’s just generic advice, I also seldom ( and in this case don’t, I use RBC DI personally ) follow my own advice.

All I know is if you have all your money parked in some manulife corporate group savings plan mutual fund portfolio you are almost certainly paying too much in fees and there ARE better options out there that are dead simple to use.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post

It’s just generic advice, I also seldom ( and in this case don’t, I use RBC DI personally ) follow my own advice.

All I know is if you have all your money parked in some manulife corporate group savings plan mutual fund portfolio you are almost certainly paying too much in fees and there ARE better options out there that are dead simple to use.
    100%

Those commercials are targeted at people one step above folks that are hunting for the best high interest savings account

Other than GUI and availability of no-load MFs (Mawer) there's very little difference between them all. Having said that CIBC's interface is horrible and everybody should avoid them.

I guess the only thing you might want to worry about is with the low-fee sites you have to be careful when buying stocks that you don't take liquidity away otherwise you'll get dinged.
    Last edited by suntan; 02-26-2021 at 12:42 PM.

My Ride
    Toyota’s

Quote Originally Posted by mazdavirgin View Post
    It's simpler and you don't have to worry about possible issues with your funds like foreign withholding taxes or a whole bunch of other complexities? I don't personally hold any mutual funds but ETF's are not exactly for everyone either. That and certain ETF's are orders of magnitude riskier than holding individual securities...
    It's worth looking into robo-advisors, RBC has InvestEase...also WealthSimple I think - I haven't used one but when it seems like its about a 1% fee all in, including the ETF fees. Answer a short questionaire to establish risk tolerance and needs, contribute cash, they allocate automatically to a bunch of iShares ETF's. No commissions either.

Or Couch Potato investing if you want to go even cheaper and skip active management fees entirely. Just pick your bonds vs equity allocation and buy the matching ETF's. At its worst you only own two ETF's, VEQT and VAB. But there's literally one single ETF to buy for the major allocations (ie VGRO = 80% equity, 20% bonds). Do it in Questrade to get no commissions on ETF's too (I think? I don't use QT)

They're so simple a monkey could do them, and both methods will be under 1% fees. All Canadian listed ETF's so no tax issues to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by riander5 View Post
    Those god damn quest trade commercials! Their product is fine, and sure you save some fees, I just hate their commercials every time I see them

'The amount we save.... could be life changing'

Ok Betty, the 1% fees you save on your 500k retirement account isnt going to change your life why don't you chill out
    Maybe not life changing, but 1% of 500k compounded for 25 years is over $140k. I'd rather have it, then not have it.

Quote Originally Posted by birdman86 View Post
    It's worth looking into robo-advisors, RBC has InvestEase...also WealthSimple I think - I haven't used one but when it seems like its about a 1% fee all in, including the ETF fees. Answer a short questionaire to establish risk tolerance and needs, contribute cash, they allocate automatically to a bunch of iShares ETF's. No commissions either.

Or Couch Potato investing if you want to go even cheaper and skip active management fees entirely. Just pick your bonds vs equity allocation and buy the matching ETF's. At its worst you only own two ETF's, VEQT and VAB. But there's literally one single ETF to buy for the major allocations (ie VGRO = 80% equity, 20% bonds). Do it in Questrade to get no commissions on ETF's too (I think? I don't use QT)

They're so simple a monkey could do them, and both methods will be under 1% fees. All Canadian listed ETF's so no tax issues to worry about.
    You're proving my point... There's foreign withholding tax on VGRO. The MER is not the only thing you have to worry about. If you hold VGRO in a registered account the MER + foreign withholding tax on the US/international component brings the annual cost to ~0.50%. Does that matter? Depends but if you think your annual cost is just the MER when holding the above ETF you're dead wrong.

I'm not saying don't buy ETF's just that they are arguably more complex as shown...

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I feel like debating the detailed tax efficiency of foreign holdings within ETF’s is so far and gone past the point when discussing overly high mutual fund and portfolio fees it’s not even worth bringing up.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I was paying nearly 2.5% MER and now just tossed everything in VGRO. I arguably do even less than I did before and have better returns.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

So what I got from this thread update is all of you like ETF's more than hookers and blow.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    why would you buy a mutual fund when you can buy an etf?
    That is literally the question being asked LOL. When I was young and dumb (or at least younger and dumber) I just threw monthly contributions into some random/shitty RRSP to get started... well now its grown and I need to figure out WTF I'm doing with it.

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    Really? Because they have funds with ridiculously low fees that are only available to company group plans. My wife's employee fund used them too and I was jealous - their bond fund had an insane MER of like 0.01% or something.
    The Sunlife mutual fund my works been dumping into has a "Fund Management Fee" of 1.99%. And all the different funds vary between 1.7-2% roughly.

EDIT: thanks the feedback everyone else. Guess I know what I'm doing this weekend. ETF research haha

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    The Sunlife mutual fund my works been dumping into has a "Fund Management Fee" of 1.99%. And all the different funds vary between 1.7-2% roughly.
    Gah, somebody at your work screwed up hard. They have super-mega-low MER funds for corporate clients. They should be available to your company.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    Gah, somebody at your work screwed up hard. They have super-mega-low MER funds for corporate clients. They should be available to your company.
    Its a small company if that makes any difference.

There are also other 'fees' that are based on the companys setup with sunlife (according to google). Regardless I'll be checking with our accountant next week.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Seems like some people don't understand the difference between the TYPE of account and the PRODUCT you purchase inside that account. That's a pet peeve.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    ////M

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post

EDIT: thanks the feedback everyone else. Guess I know what I'm doing this weekend. ETF research haha
    Rob Carrick does a decent analysis every year on ETF's - would recommend googling. Takes a lot of the leg work out.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post
    So what I got from this thread update is all of you like ETF's more than hookers and blow.
    I'm a Couch Potato Whore
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post
    ETF’s keep us in hookers and blow

fact.

My Ride
    2020 Genesis G70

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    End of the the day RRSP:TFSA allowance is ~ 5:1 right now. You can max out TFSA quite easy. I can understand some don't leverage RRSP if their income in the lowest 2 brackets, but once you hit $100K+ it's hard not to put at least some into RRSP.
    I totally agree with you. Most people retired will be in one of the first two tax brackets which means you are at 25% or 30.5%. And while working will be at least two brackets higher. If you make over $98k you are in the 36% plus range and it makes sense to get the return at that rate and later pay less.

Although if you make ~$95K and have a really good pension and expect to make ~$60K when retired (so same tax bracket) it doesn't make sense to focus on RRSP's. Better TFSA and tax efficient unregistered account to help keep you from getting too close to OAS clawback.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6