Quantcast
Replacement for iPad - used Surface Pro? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Replacement for iPad - used Surface Pro?

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

What specifically are you guys not liking about the surface pro? I have been seriously considering one. Any other alternative you’d recommend? I like the idea of a tablet with laptop capabilities and I’d like to move away from apple products.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Again. Is it maybe worth it to go buy the 19 dollar USB dongle from Apple and see if just using a USB stick to transfer to the new file system app works for you?

I don’t see how switching to an androids tablet would change that at all, and 19 dollars is a cheap test. Especially as Apple has a 14 day no questions asked return policy.
    Yo. Sorry I missed your other post re: USB dongle. I think you make a fair point. I always liked the smoothness of Apple products but even with my iPad, I jailbroke that shit so I could transfer files to VLC in iTunes (not sure if it's free now). My iPad Air 2 is only 16GB too, so I'd be looking at getting a new one regardless.

I don't keep up with new apps but from what you guys are saying, there's alot more options for file transfer nowadays. Sync'ing is such a PITA when drag/drop seems to be so much quicker and convenient. I happen to think that switching to Android would mean that I don't have to jump through those hoops, hopefully I'm not wrong.

I have some reading up to do. I just assumed that with a Samsung Tablet I could access it via USB, load 10 movies into a folder with subtitles and then play it with an app that has subtitle support, main difference being I don't think I can be bothered to wait the extra 2 minutes for the iPad to sync and then use another app to initiate file transfers call me lazy .

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

I noticed that in one of the previous updates VLC (android) was no longer able to read any external memory (SD card or USB-OTG) so it became a matter of copying to internal before I was able to watch anything...
    Not sure if they resolved this.

My Ride
    rally pig

Over the summer, I made it a project to convert all my MKV videos to MP4 so that it will play more efficiently on IOS devices.
    Still using Itunes to transfer as I never had any issues.

AirVideoHD is a nice way to convert and transfer videos to your IOS devices wirelessly as well but you will need a dedicated computer running it. cant recall if subtitles will work though

I also have the app AVPlayer which can access my NAS and download movies from there.

Quote Originally Posted by sxtasy View Post
    What specifically are you guys not liking about the surface pro? I have been seriously considering one. Any other alternative you’d recommend? I like the idea of a tablet with laptop capabilities and I’d like to move
    away from apple products.
    for me it was the short battery life compared to a tablet, power button sometimes not working, keyboard and size/weight. my microsoft BT mouse would also sometime disconnect.
    this was with the SP4

when work gave us the option to select between the HP X2 (similar to Surface Pro) and X360, I immediately went for the X360.

My Ride
    LNF

What specifically are you guys not liking about the surface pro? I have been seriously considering one. Any other alternative you’d recommend? I like the idea of a tablet with laptop capabilities and I’d like to move away from apple products.
    My wife had continuous issues with her surface, the keyboard losing connection, poor performance and poor battery life. Somehow she convinced Microsoft to take it back after using it for a almost a year. She bought a XPS13 and loves it.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Expensive. Thick. Heavy. Buggy AF.

Especially buggy AF.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    2015 GMC 2500HD Dirtymax

We actually have switched to surface pro's for our entire office (~180 employees) and have had mixed results with them. The "laptop" style ones seem to be doing pretty well, most people are liking them and have less issues. But the ones with removable keyboards still seem to be a frustrating problem for many. The keyboards are tough to work on, have weird angles to try to type on, quite buggy etc. I've had mine had to be replaced as the keyboard wouldnt connect, even bringing it into the microsoft store they couldnt figure it out.

The one thing they really do have going for them is their interfacing with the "surface pen". As a sales guy I use it as a digital notebook, and just write my notes as you normally would but its super nice to be able to have it directly work with OneNote etc. I could see this being really helpful for students.... Not that many students will ever go away their macbooks. That being said, once we buy all the warranty crap, they are over 2000 bucks... and in my opinion is really just too much. Most people are getting around 3 years out of them, which is a big pill to swallow, as many are just using them as in docks as "Desktops" anyways.

As a media device? Not their forte. I still have an iPad to watch my plex on in bed, bring it on trips etc. Just works so much better with less annoyances.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I stuck with the SP through thick and thin hoping for the magic of just having 1 device, but was never able to use the SP as a single device. Always had an iPad tag along for the ride. All the negatives were posted as to why. In the end, I really only used the surface pen for lightroom workflow editing photos.

There isn't a single device that does it all. If anything, I think I'm getting closer to having an iPad as my single travel work device than I ever did with the Surface Pro.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Assuming that I have all the networking stuff set up, how long would it take for me to transfer a 2gb 1080p movie from my PC to the iPad over the network using AirVideoHD?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post
    Assuming that I have all the networking stuff set up, how long would it take for me to transfer a 2gb 1080p movie from my PC to the iPad over the network using AirVideoHD?
    I wouldn't know. I queue it all and just do other shit. It downloads in the background.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    rally pig

yeah converting a video to MP4 will take some time..couple of hours per movie depending on your AirVideoHD server.
    transfer speed to copy the MP4 movie will depend on your LAN and Wifi speed.

I also queue movies the night before a flight.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2