Quantcast
Compliance stamp from City - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Compliance stamp from City

My Ride
    2018 Audi RS3

Default Compliance stamp from City

Just wondering if the city cares about whether or not I have a hand rail on exterior stairs on my RPR in order to get a compliance stamp? We are refinancing our mortgage and it looks like we have to provide an RPR to the lawyers office, landscaping / fencing has happened since the original build.

I know we are probably not to code on this, but hoping the city won't care on the RPR. I've looked at the land use bylaw and they talk about set backs and projections into the yard from fences etc in regards to decks and patios.
    We have 3 concrete stairs leading to our back patio door, it's open on either side with no hand rail.

If this will be an issue, any recommendations for a contractor who can help before the survey company comes next week?

My Ride
    Treg/B7

You are correct encroachments past pl / setbacks are what would be mostly checked. RPRs just show deck heights. Decks need a permit over a certain height(2ft). That is what would be flagged and if you need a permit railing may come into it. Railing would not be flagged otherwise.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by nickyh View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just wondering if the city cares about whether or not I have a hand rail on exterior stairs on my RPR in order to get a compliance stamp? We are refinancing our mortgage and it looks like we have to provide an RPR to the lawyers office, landscaping / fencing has happened since the original build.

I know we are probably not to code on this, but hoping the city won't care on the RPR. I've looked at the land use bylaw and they talk about set backs and projections into the yard from fences etc in regards to decks and patios.
    We have 3 concrete stairs leading to our back patio door, it's open on either side with no hand rail.

If this will be an issue, any recommendations for a contractor who can help before the survey company comes next week?
    I had nearly exact same issue and the RPR wasn't a problem.

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

I needed to get an RPR done when I was preparing to sell my house in 2017. I had a 2x6 planter set on the ground over a utility right of way (you could literally just lift it) and they marked it on the report as a structure and we were non-compliant because of it. I had to remove the planter to sell my house.

They came and measured absolutely everything and it's distance to property lines even though it was all stuff that was already on the previous report. In a lot of cases they updated positions by a couple cm in different directions. They taught me things like the retaining wall on one side of my lot was installed crooked by 5cm, whereas the previous RPR showed it as parallel to the property line. As far as I know they're only looking for the footprint of things though, so I'd expect a missing handrail is not a big deal, I don't remember any hand rails being marked on my report, but the outline of the steps definitely was.

I had to have the report redone after removing the planter and they only charged me $150 to come back and ammend the report, so if you're paying more than that to fix the railing maybe it's worth taking your chances?
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride
    FB6

I thought 3 steps didn't require a hand rail? We built our house in 2018 and remember that the builder said that 3 didn't require a hand rail and 4+ required a handrail. I recall seeing houses by us that do not have handrails with only 3 steps.

Just provide your lawyer with the original RPR report with the compliance stamp. Nobody is going to look to see how accurate it is for a refinance.

My Ride
    2018 Audi RS3

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    I had nearly exact same issue and the RPR wasn't a problem.
    Awesome! This what I want to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by realazy View Post
    I thought 3 steps didn't require a hand rail? We built our house in 2018 and remember that the builder said that 3 didn't require a hand rail and 4+ required a handrail. I recall seeing houses by us that do not have handrails with only 3 steps.
    Technically, it's the total height of the stairs. I've been trying to read / understand the Alberta building code

Quote Originally Posted by roopi View Post
    Just provide your lawyer with the original RPR report with the compliance stamp. Nobody is going to look to see how accurate it is for a refinance.
    Gave them that at our last refinance. The only copies I have are photocopies.

They never returned the originals to you? That seems odd.

My Ride
    2018 Audi RS3

Quote Originally Posted by roopi View Post
    They never returned the originals to you? That seems odd.
    No, never crossed my mind they should. I'll make sure i get this one back though, costing me small fortune to have updated.
    The last experience I had with a RPR was in selling my old home, the lawyers kept it then (but that makes sense as the new buyer would need it).

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Quote Originally Posted by realazy View Post
    Not sure the old code but the new code says 3 risers, which when that includes the lip was 3 stairs. I'm not involved too much in that stuff but we just sat through a new presentation about that on Friday. Apparently Canadian Building Code, Alberta Edition comes into effect Dec 1 or something which had that change (and a bunch of stuff relating to handrail sizes so you can grip it).
    Cos...

My Ride
    *The First*

I am reasonably confident it's 23.999" from grade doesn't require a railing.

I had over 30" and it was fully negligent dangerous as it was my front step and landing. Someone could've fallen in my garden and gotten fucked up. I'd put bright orange flagging tape everywhere for Halloween.
    New owner insisted I leave all the railing parts there, ready to install and still hasn't fixed it, 3 years later!

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Honest question. What’s the opposition to railings or people’s reasons for not having them?

Is putting a railing in rocket science or something? Aesthetics?

Sounds super common with annoying tons compliance implications.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Honest question. What’s the opposition to railings or people’s reasons for not having them?

Mine's a long story that isn't very good but to try and cut it short...
    I had existing stairs re-capped with stamped concrete and the second stupidest person I've ever come across on earth (contractor and bastard-in-law) repeatedly scolded me that the wrought iron railing would perfectly fit back on. Obviously, it didn't, so much so that it couldn't even be modified. He knew marth - I knew math, but if you dig up his bloated corpse (you'll find a bunch of my urine in the first few feet of earth near the headstone) and ask him, he'll say "he doesn't fuckin know nuthin!!"

So... that left me to come up with a new design using that Home Depot kit which was all fine, until one goes to hammer drill the thin stamped concrete capped on cinder block steps nice and near the edge so the railing doesn't look completely Corky. It was like actively recognizing the incredible stupidity of your actions while you still had ample time to stop yourself yet still very consciously proceeding. It's like putting your dick on your sister's face while she's passed out at a party and getting friends to take pictures. "Really?! Are you actually doing this, for serious?! What's the fuckin plan, here!!? Who wins this game, Genius?!"

You know what I mean?
    ... Perhaps not. At any rate...

After chipping part of a step's nose off while the house was for sale, I quietly said The Lord's name in vain, tucked the building materials in the basement, drank too much gin with a rather sad Subway pizza sub and went to sleep. (Gin & a pizza sub??¿!!?¡? The golden shower of decisions keeps flowing!)

I felt exactly like that Homer Simpson masonry scene which is one of the top 5 in Simpsons history.
    Looking back, I think it's hilarious but there were 19 things going poorly for me that week and holy fuck did that ever kick me over the edge.

Aside from that, I have no aversion to adhering to the building code when it comes to railings.
    Last edited by ThePenIsMightier; 11-19-2019 at 08:43 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

It's like putting your dick on your sister's face while she's passed out at a party and getting friends to take pictures.
    We've all been there brother. Thanks for putting this I to terms we can relate to.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    We've all been there brother. Thanks for putting this I to terms we can relate to.
    *Doffs hat.

My Ride
    2018 Audi RS3

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    I am reasonably confident it's 23.999" from grade doesn't require a railing.
    You are correct.
    We measure at 28"

- - - Updated - - -

No aversion to being safe; we hired landscapers to do a job and in hindsight (as homeowners) should have done a little more due diligence on code and insisted that things were done correctly, the first time.
    Our concrete patio / steps is truthfully my biggest regret and in a few years we plan to have someone demo this and make it right.