Quantcast
Plumber recommendation for Airdrie... or why is my hot water brown? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Plumber recommendation for Airdrie... or why is my hot water brown?

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Default Plumber recommendation for Airdrie... or why is my hot water brown?

So new issue I've never experienced as a homeowner yet. My hot water has been coming out various shades and complexity of brown and yellow. Only the hot water. Recycling my water softener doesn't seem to matter. Reading online I've read things from Iron, to Rust, to some growth inside the tank needing a chlorine 'shock' to take care of it. I've tried draining it and running the lines as well, it seemed to help a bit but have no idea honestly as I have no way to measure the change.

I'm starting to suspect my hot water tank might go soon. It is ~10 year old now (power vent). Of course I'm not excited about the idea to replace it so I am looking for things to check, or someone to check it, before I replace it.

Anyone have ideas what it might be? And/Or anyone know of a trusted plumber that works in or out of Airdrie?
    Last edited by The Cosworth; 11-19-2019 at 04:00 PM.
    Cos...

My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '18 Tundra

10 years isn't super old for a HWT. More then likely you Anode rod is toast. Sometimes you can replace the rods but it might be one of those cases where you pay 500 to fix a rod or 800 for a new tank.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

It's just clear water dressed up as Liberal water.
    Last edited by JRSC00LUDE; 11-19-2019 at 04:32 PM.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Do not use ARO Plumbing and Heating (also goes by Need a Plumber Canada). Fuck those guys. That is all.

In my research after getting fucked around by the above noted company Pete the Plumber seemed to be a reasonable option.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Also don't use Clearview, scammers.

I think anode rods and dip tubes can be easily replaced yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    It's just clear water dressed up as Liberal water.
    Just my type then! Haha

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    Do not use ARO Plumbing and Heating (also goes by Need a Plumber Canada). Fuck those guys. That is all.

In my research after getting fucked around by the above noted company Pete the Plumber seemed to be a reasonable option.
    My wife and I actually checked them out and we're commenting on name recognition. Might have to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ca_Silvia13 View Post
    10 years isn't super old for a HWT. More then likely you Anode rod is toast. Sometimes you can replace the rods but it might be one of those cases where you pay 500 to fix a rod or 800 for a new tank.
    Funny enough I have a spare anode rod but I didn't realize it was online with pex on the intake side. So I might have to change that
    Cos...

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Honestly earlier this year when i needed work done after talking to a few sketch artists i went with Pete the Plumber and couldn't be happier.

They were no more expensive than what anyone else offered me, and they are legit and professional.

Work was to replace a hot water heater with a tankless including running new vents, and work to replace a failed sewage ejector pump.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Well I drained the tank, decided what the hell and cracked the anode out which was on the cold side. What a bitch, why did they go away from the simple to change ones.

I'm thinking the color was the anode plastic coming out? So far it is looking clean. Don't ask me how it works but thanks for hearing me out.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    Last edited by The Cosworth; 11-19-2019 at 09:11 PM.
    Cos...

My Ride
    GLS63 AMG

The white plastic one is the dip tube which should be replaced considering the shape it is in, guessing that the anode rod is actually on the hot side based on its design.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Quote Originally Posted by StreetRacerX View Post
    The white plastic one is the dip tube which should be replaced considering the shape it is in, guessing that the anode rod is actually on the hot side based on its design.
    hmm interesting. So I might have just put 2 anode's into the tank then? That doesn't sound good. I'll mix up all the cold / hot water then right and it will cool off super fast?
    Cos...

My Ride
    Trucks

The anode rod is just under a pipe plug in the top of the tank. It’s not connected to either water line. With your broken dip tube, the hot water leaving the tank will just be mostly the cold water going into the tank. Very little hot water storage capacity.
    Last edited by Darell_n; 11-19-2019 at 10:19 PM.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Yeah I'll have to pick up a dip tube tomorrow. I'm not sure I agree on the anode, I was told it was inline when I ordered it from Emco and it has double threads and is hollow which would allow water to leak out.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    Cos...

My Ride
    79 Country Squire 95 Deville 09 Jeep JK

That looks like a combo anode rod that connects to the hot water nipple.
    The hot water comes in at the top of the tank through that hole and the dip tube feeds cold water to the bottom of the tank where it gets heated.

Not all anodes are hex head design.

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

Do you need to drain the tank to change either the anode rod or drip tube if they are both in from the top?

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

I probably would just do a new tank... the bottom of my parents’ tank failed at ~10yrs, much more of a disaster and worth the peace of mind knowing it’s not going to happen... especially if you’re on vacation (always when they seem to go haha)... once I had one fail, wasn’t home for 2 weeks and ended up with a $1k water bill. Luckily it didn’t flood, but that alone would have covered a new tank

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Quote Originally Posted by ianmcc View Post
    That looks like a combo anode rod that connects to the hot water nipple.
    The hot water comes in at the top of the tank through that hole and the dip tube feeds cold water to the bottom of the tank where it gets heated.

Not all anodes are hex head design.
    Ok thanks that's sort of what I put together.

Quote Originally Posted by arcticcat522 View Post
    Do you need to drain the tank to change either the anode rod or drip tube if they are both in from the top?
    I drained it 100% of the way, but I started cracking stuff after the pressure was released and drained out. There was still water in the bottom draining but it wasn't under pressure anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    I probably would just do a new tank... the bottom of my parents’ tank failed at ~10yrs, much more of a disaster and worth the peace of mind knowing it’s not going to happen... especially if you’re on vacation (always when they seem to go haha)... once I had one fail, wasn’t home for 2 weeks and ended up with a $1k water bill. Luckily it didn’t flood, but that alone would have covered a new tank
    The dip tube was $26.00 and I already had the anode, so really it is just my time to see if it fixes it. If it acts up I'm just going to do a new tank but it has seemed flawless up until now.
    Cos...

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by The Cosworth View Post
    Ok thanks that's sort of what I put together.

I drained it 100% of the way, but I started cracking stuff after the pressure was released and drained out. There was still water in the bottom draining but it wasn't under pressure anymore.

The dip tube was $26.00 and I already had the anode, so really it is just my time to see if it fixes it. If it acts up I'm just going to do a new tank but it has seemed flawless up until now.
    My nerd friend had his go... so when he replaced it he put a basin underneath with a moisture sensor that sends him an alert! Haha... that’s probably not an awful idea

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    My nerd friend had his go... so when he replaced it he put a basin underneath with a moisture sensor that sends him an alert! Haha... that’s probably not an awful idea
    Am I half your nerd friend? LOL. I have a moisture sensor right there too. No basin yet. Good idea when it is replaced.
    Cos...

My Ride
    *The First*

Just looking through flyers and Rona is selling a couple hot water tanks "so cheap" that they need to state LIMIT OF TWO PER CUSTOMER!

That cracks me up! Like it's an epidemic of people buying 8 hot water tanks at once and rolling up in a cube van to take them home. LoL!!

Yes, a plumber might but still, fuck off.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Just looking through flyers and Rona is selling a couple hot water tanks "so cheap" that they need to state LIMIT OF TWO PER CUSTOMER!

That cracks me up! Like it's an epidemic of people buying 8 hot water tanks at once and rolling up in a cube van to take them home. LoL!!

Yes, a plumber might but still, fuck off.
    LOL totally. I'd be curious to know if they're even at wholesale cost. Almost sounds like a marketing tactic. WOW, it is so cheap they have to limit it!

Also an update, I got a new dip tube at Bartle, swapped it out, seems to be running MUCH happier. The same temp setting is producing much hotter water. So no idea how long it has been fubar'd for. Will post a picture later of the anode but it literally looks like a brown and grey corn-dog.
    Cos...