Quantcast
Exoshield Windshield Protection - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Exoshield Windshield Protection

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Default Exoshield Windshield Protection

Just wondering if anyone has Exoshield and what real-world experience is like.

I first heard of it through an instagram ad this morning, but then I just came across this. How does this post compare to real world experience?

WINDSHIELD PROTECTION FILM
    No longer recommended by Calgary PPF

Calgary PPF is no longer recommending the use of Windshield Protection Films as a viable method of protecting windshields for Calgary consumers.Reason #1 - You will still get rock chips even if overall volume is diminished.Reason #2 - The film prevents glass shops from being able to fix these before they spider.Reason #3 - The process of removing the film to fix these chips often forces the chip to spider out, ruining the windshield.Reason #4 - These films constantly de-laminate and become scuffed and scratched within less than a year of driving, obstructing vision and marring the appearance of the vehicle.Reason #5 - These films are prohibitively expensive both for the end consumer and installation shops.Reason #6 - It is impossible to install these films to a high degree of aesthetic perfection. Burn marks and creases are common.Reason #7 - These films are not legal within the province of Alberta.These reasons apply to all current windshield protection film brands on the market today. All other coating or protection products are placebo products with zero provable efficacy.The only viable protection for windshields currently on the market is windshield insurance. Get your chips fixed ASAP, before they spider.

https://www.calgarypaintprotectionfilm.ca/clearplex-windshield-protection-film-calgary/

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Not an answer to the question, but I usually just put a small dab of clear nail polish, let it sit and dry and smooth it out. I have 7-8 pits on my windshield that haven't spidered yet. The stingers are the one that hit the body/A-pillar instead of windshield
    rage2's experiences kinda shy me away already. Some of the chips I have there is no way the film would have protected and totally agree it would be impossible to fix without lots of labour before they spider.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

#4 is a big one. Here are my 2 windshields. I'm getting these things removed in the next couple of weeks.

Name:  86D94D8F-64C2-48F3-8BB2-C13FF33829F0_1_105_c.jpg
Views: 1214
Size:  50.8 KB

Name:  D332DBD7-3F89-41F7-ACB1-C9609C704143_1_105_c.jpg
Views: 1160
Size:  53.3 KB

This is the exoshield product. It doesn't work well with wipers basically.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    *The First*

^No doubt! I'd say #4 should be promoted to #1 and #2!
    LoL.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Was going to do this on the next car but after seeing this, I think I'll skip.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

So can you go without wipers then? Meaning do they water repel well like a windshield with wax/rain-x/aquapel?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So can you go without wipers then? Meaning do they water repel well like a windshield with wax/rain-x/aquapel?
    You still have a problem with 1/2/3.

I think unless you are trying to keep your summer driven P1/Enzo original, its probably not worth the risk.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I haven't had a problem with 1, so 2 and 3 doesn't apply. Both cars have no chips from what I can tell. There are a couple of small tears in the film that seems to have saved the glass so I think it's done it's job. Every car we've owned in the winter have had chip/cracked glass within a year. Our garage is heated, so any chip would fucking crack and spider quickly due to extreme temperature swings.

5, it's not that expensive if it actually does the job. 6, no issues with install. Didn't even notice it the first couple of months that I had it. 7, lol, yea we have tint everywhere. That'll get ticketed before exoshield.

Really, the only problem is #4. That list seems like a huge list for the sake of having a huge list to not recommend this product.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Mine is less than a year old and has a few small pits. Started bubbling after a windshield guy tried to fill one of them. Going to remove it after this season.

Does anyone know how to remove it?

My Ride
    This and that.

My Aston's shield already has a few scratches on the corners and it's fucking brand new. What a freaking waste. It came from the factor with it so at least I didn't have to pay for it I guess.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Some images of how it looks from the inside. The light scatter is the biggest problem once #4 happens. Low enough sun and you’re blind.

Name:  BBDF712F-0470-45ED-9125-360368C62DC2.jpg
Views: 1065
Size:  56.7 KB

Name:  81F586DD-EDB2-4FAB-8DB5-6238C9346995.jpg
Views: 1054
Size:  41.2 KB

Name:  8C28E1FD-1AE0-4EF5-A552-41647CDDFE5F.jpg
Views: 1076
Size:  54.5 KB

I had about 5 exoshield films and they all delaminated. Not meant for wipers or daily use. I'd say it def saved me from a windshield though.

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Some images of how it looks from the inside. The light scatter is the biggest problem once #4 happens. Low enough sun and you’re blind.
    its like having dirty/scratched glasses, but 100 times worse.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Removed it on the wagon this morning. You don't realize how bad it is until it's off. On the bright side, it protected the glass, it's like a brand new windshield.

My Ride
    Lexus/Toyota

I have it on my wife's vehicle. I agree with everyone on here, it definitely has saved my windshield a few times, but I have already had it replaced once under warranty to the light distortion. Now a year later, the problem is returning, the light scattering really throws you off in low light conditions and with opposing vehicle headlights at night. I would not get it again.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Update, it definitely saves the windshield. Removed both 2 weeks ago, and both have rock chips now.

My Ride
    This and that.

When I drive my car at night at certain angles I see streaks of lights from brake lights, traffic lights and headlights etc. Not as bad as Rage pics above but definitely see it. But yea definitely cause of the shield. Not a huge pain and since it does protect I am not trying to remove it.

My Ride
    GLK, G37X & S5

delamination has been a serious issue with all WPF. It does work and saves your windshield from chips but it's a pain when the hard coat of the film starts to peel. Delamination is covered under Exoshield's warranty.

2 of the main cause of Exoshield delaminating:

- high pressure washing
    - ceramic coating or any type of coating on the film.

Alchemy is working hard to solve this issue, their latest batch has a stronger bond but I still wont say it's free of delamination.

We continue to offer Exoshield even though the film delaminates mainly because it does work to save windshields and they are the only company that offers a decent glass coverage insurance plan.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by rlim891 View Post
    Delamination is covered under Exoshield's warranty.
    Did anyone who used Exoshield experience delamination within 2 years/50,000 km of ownership and if yes, get it re-installed under warranty?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Did anyone who used Exoshield experience delamination within 2 years/50,000 km of ownership and if yes, get it re-installed under warranty?
    I did on both my cars. I just removed it.

I pressure wash my cars once every week or 2, but the delimitation area is fully in the wiper coverage area right to the edge of the wiper blades, so I'd say the use of wipers is the primary cause of it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast