Quantcast
Switching job roles within a large company - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Switching job roles within a large company

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Default Switching job roles within a large company

Hey Beyond, I am kinda at a crossroads. Was hoping for some solid advice.

I made mention to a co-worker that I had been in my current role for 5 years now and might start looking for a change. Stay within the company, but, find something new and exciting.

They kinda got an excited look in their eyes and told me that their department was looking for someone and that with my background they would be salivating for someone with my experience and skill set. And the part that caught my attention is that it would be a really nice raise in pay. After the past 5 years with the economy and pay freeze, to say my pay has not kept up with inflation is an understatement.

Here is my hang up. In my ~14 years with the company, I have pretty much been in an IT and incident management role. The role that I would be moving into would be Business sales/marketing/solutions management. I haven't even attempted sales or marketing in a very long time. To say I am a little overwhelmed is an understatement, but, I kinda expect that as I am not too sure what to expect in the role. Now, the higher ups over there are excited at the prospect of bringing me on-board as they know my current role and there is some overlap between the 2 departments, so that is good. They seem confident, so I just need to find mine.

I am thinking of taking a couple of days and doing a job shadow sort of thing. See how they are doing things, what kind of things are expected day to day, and what kind of projects I would be taking on. This is all a give in really, but I could certainly use the extra cash and this job would be a pretty nice pay raise.

But really, my question comes down to, is this a smart move to make? For me, I place job stability above anything else. As long as I know the chances of lay offs are low, and I have a steady pay cheque, I can live with pretty much anything. But, what is the world of marketing and solutions like? Is that stability there?
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

I worked at TELUS for 26.5 years and moved around quite a bit, at least 8 different jobs that I can remember with the last one being 7 years in.length. Big company, I'd say take advantage of a move elsewhere as more.knowledge is not necessarily a bad thing.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Bicycle

One may get bored after 5-10 years of the same thing.

I assume your new role is basically architecting solutions base on your company's offerings in order to enter into contract bids? And may be run a trade shows or in some dog and pony show circuit in off time?

It could be exciting but also make sure you know what the compensation is. If it's tied to contracts you win, it could be lucrative but also be "flexible".

Also, somehow in the back of my mind that I think you work for Telus.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Fake it till you make it.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

It's definitely a good idea, but you have to keep in mind that if it doesn't work out, you may not be able to go back and would have to leave the company.

I would do it. Especially if there's a higher ceiling than your current role.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Taking on a new challenge can be really invigorating. The fact that the new group knows you and wants you there is huge.
    Unless you think you'll hate this new thing, sounds great, go for it! I believe in you!
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    Fake it till you make it.
    ^ that plus: Ask questions. Take notes on what to learn. Seek coaching and mentorship when you need it.

Don’t move into a roll expecting to know 100% of the job - otherwise you’d already be bored. Your strengths should fulfill 50% of the role (stuff that will make you shine). The remaining 50% should be new and a learning curve for you to grow.

Good luck!

My Ride
    *The First*

The best good reason to go to another company is for significantly more $ and then that can elevate your value if you end up returning to the original co. This accomplishes the extra cash without the huge change and increased instability of a company switch.
    Do it.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post

Also, somehow in the back of my mind that I think you work for Telus.
    Yes, I do. I don't hide it, but, with the SJW world out there, I have toned it down some lol.

And thank you guys, it seems the consensus is to go for it. The hiring managers seem pretty eager to forgo the whole formal process for me and just to the cursory interview. It just doesn't compute for me how they can be that confident in my skill set. From what I understand, they are just really eager to have someone with my technical knowledge of the network on their team that can vette their proposals and such.

I think that asking to do a job shadow for a day or 2 is not out of the realm of reasonableness, and I can meet who I would be potentially working with. I let my current manager know what I was doing and he is pissed because he doesn't want to lose me, but excited that I would be moving up in the ladder. It seems like the tone from our conversation that he may be trying to pull a few strings for me to try and get me to stay, but who knows. I think I will go through whatever process there is, at worst, I can always decline the offer if they make one to me.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Having strong technical knowledge inside a sales team can be incredible. I've done that a couple of times, maybe three actually.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    V8s

Just another vote to go for it. I wouldn't even bother with the job shadow.

If the hiring manager wasn't confident you could succeed with your skillset, they wouldn't be trying to pull you in... put some faith in their judgement. Their success is contingent on your success; they wouldn't want you if they didn't think you would be successful.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

What's the turnover in that department? That'll tell you what you need to know about the managers.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by spikerS View Post
    Yes, I do. I don't hide it, but, with the SJW world out there, I have toned it down some lol.

And thank you guys, it seems the consensus is to go for it. The hiring managers seem pretty eager to forgo the whole formal process for me and just to the cursory interview. It just doesn't compute for me how they can be that confident in my skill set. From what I understand, they are just really eager to have someone with my technical knowledge of the network on their team that can vette their proposals and such.

I think that asking to do a job shadow for a day or 2 is not out of the realm of reasonableness, and I can meet who I would be potentially working with. I let my current manager know what I was doing and he is pissed because he doesn't want to lose me, but excited that I would be moving up in the ladder. It seems like the tone from our conversation that he may be trying to pull a few strings for me to try and get me to stay, but who knows. I think I will go through whatever process there is, at worst, I can always decline the offer if they make one to me.
    My minor word of caution is that my impression of their "eagerness" is actually desperation to fill a position that they've been completely fucked without having for far too long and the candidate will be thrown to the wolves and instantly buried in work. I don't mean "desperate" like they'd take anyone - I mean they have a huge need and love the idea of getting someone into it right away without dealing with posting, interviewing, hiring, etc. I sort of just hired a guy I was desperate for and he's buried, already.
    He'll do fine and soon get his head above water, but he's right in the trench immediately because of where we were stuck.
    Lots and lots of people thrive on this and it's not really anything to be alarmed about. It just may put a damper on your expectations of "gently wading in" and job shadowing, etc.
    Still do it - just go in with eyes open.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    What's the turnover in that department? That'll tell you what you need to know about the managers.
    That is a question I will be asking for sure. If there is a lot of turnover there, then I will probably pass as it will speak to the environment itself, as the pay coming in the door is quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    My minor word of caution is that my impression of their "eagerness" is actually desperation to fill a position that they've been completely fucked without having for far too long and the candidate will be thrown to the wolves and instantly buried in work. I don't mean "desperate" like they'd take anyone - I mean they have a huge need and love the idea of getting someone into it right away without dealing with posting, interviewing, hiring, etc. I sort of just hired a guy I was desperate for and he's buried, already.
    He'll do fine and soon get his head above water, but he's right in the trench immediately because of where we were stuck.
    Lots and lots of people thrive on this and it's not really anything to be alarmed about. It just may put a damper on your expectations of "gently wading in" and job shadowing, etc.
    Still do it - just go in with eyes open.
    I expect that 100%. That is pretty par for the course for a lot of positions in the company right now. There has been quite a few layoffs and packages given, and with the current hiring practices, bringing in people from outside the company is really hard unless the potential candidates have degrees and crazy related experience. HR is messing things up for a lot of departments currently. It's not hard to get in if you are going into a frontline role, and then move from there, but, getting into management off the street is really hard.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

On an only partially related note, when I was unemployed and looking to switch industries, one of your recruiting team told me flat out that my resume would go to the bottom of the pile because they "prefer not to hire people with oil and gas experience".

Had always suspected, so the honesty was refreshing.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    On an only partially related note, when I was unemployed and looking to switch industries, one of your recruiting team told me flat out that my resume would go to the bottom of the pile because they "prefer not to hire people with oil and gas experience".

Had always suspected, so the honesty was refreshing.
    Yeah, I can't think of anyone in my day to day contacts at work that has any O&G background at all.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by spikerS View Post
    Yeah, I can't think of anyone in my day to day contacts at work that has any O&G background at all.
    Must be a fluke.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

But in funnier thoughts, bring this, and ask for the training.
    Name:  a6261af6b2f5583f431b1804ea06e878.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  70.1 KB

Yes for sure go for the promotion. The company I work for, all jobs are at most 4 year “terms” so you’re expected to look for a new job internally when your term is up or if you convince your manager to let you change early (most managers say yes), so this is something I’ve done 3 times already.

You should never really go into a promotion or even a lateral move thinking you need to know everything otherwise you will be bored. You will learn the new role on the job which shouldn’t be too difficult if it’s a familiar area and if you have the right base skillsets which it sounds like you do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast