Quantcast
How do you like to fly? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you like to fly?

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    One trick I found that worked (by accident) is eating a bar of unsweetened dark cacao. I ate a box of Royce chocolates before my flight from Japan; passed out; woke up in Vancouver.

Missed two meals lol
    I think you meant to post that in the intermittent fasting thread...

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    I think you meant to post that in the intermittent fasting thread...
    Name:  tumblr_nbhrk2Ebz61suzl23o1_r1_250.gif
Views: 435
Size:  1.30 MB
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

For a week trip this is usually what I pack. For on the plane its tshirt and jeans. If it's work trip I always check in and will do carry on if its a personal trip.
    - 2/3 of all clothing items and I'll hand wash anything if needed
    - PJ's are shorts and tank top that I can also use for workouts and pools
    - Running shoes, slippers for the hotel

Personal items
    - Costco swiss gear backpack that I stuff under the seat to avoid fighting for overhead storage
    - iPad, laptop, dashcam/gps, sweater if needed, other small items, and 1 underwear . Yes extra underwear in case my luggage gets lost/delayed which has happened before.
    - snacks
    - Standard wired earbud headphones. I have BT but found it kills the batteries in my ipad and iPhone faster so I stopped using them.
    - Tip, use your laptop to charge your devices so you don't need to carry an extra battery pack. Some laptops you need to enable this in the bios. I'ave also seen some Dells that have a usb port on the battery to charge phones.

I also have bad motion sickness and will always pop a gravol before departure. I also carry some ginger chews and mints that helps reduce the dizzyness. Because of this I just try to sleep on planes and sometimes will watch a movie if my head isn't spinning too much.
    Last edited by botox; 11-25-2019 at 10:20 PM.

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    Long haul:

Are you selling these? I could use 2
    He's giving them away. Any AC status member (I think 50k and up) gets a booklet of lounge passes and other stuff when we get our annual member package with baggage tags, etc.

My parents/in-laws use mine.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

I prefer to fly after a well rested sleep so my arms don't tire as quickly.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

I really need to try a set of these noise cancelling headphones. I have the Bose over ear ones, but not noise cancelling. Looks like those Sony ones are a few bucks cheaper than the Bose QC35's. Although the controls look terrible on them.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    I really need to try a set of these noise-cancelling headphones. I have the Bose over ear ones, but not noise cancelling. Looks like those Sony ones are a few bucks cheaper than the Bose QC35's. Although the controls look terrible on them.
    The noise-cancelling headphones I've used are great. I've never bought them though because everyone I know who has had them, has eventually forgotten them in the seatback. I think the problem is that they come with a nice case that fits perfectly in a seatback pocket. I carry some <$100 Sony bluetooth over-ear headphones that I use for work calls and just put them in the seatback pocket with one ear sticking out when I'm not wearing them.

As far as flying goes, after probably 600+ flights (563 tracked: OpenFlights ), I definitely have my idiosyncrasies.

I tend to pack light. If I can avoid checking luggage, I do. I have a trucker's bladder so I go for a window seat if I can.

I hit the lounge before the flight for a snack and a few drinks (typically hard stuff to maximize the buzz to bladder impact). I nick a bottle of water and newspaper/magazine if I can for the flight.

Just before boarding, I take out a little "flight kit" I made from an old business class amenity pouch that contains earphones, earplugs, eye mask, and a pen for customs/immigration forms. I also take out a sweater/long-sleeve shirt to wear if it's cold or use as a pillow if I don't have one.

I'm always extra nice to the cabin crew on boarding. I know quite a few and they definitely remember who is friendly/polite/useful and sometimes offer up little perks (extra mini-bottles/pillows/water/whatever) during the flight.

If there are movies I tend to put on the headphones and get into that. Nothing beats a bit of a buzz, a good movie, and having nothing to worry about on the ground below (work, in particular). I don't typically sleep well on flights so if there's not IFE I try to read or listen to podcasts and rest my eyes.

On exiting the aircraft I walk as fast as I can to get ahead of everyone for immigration/customs. I skip the escalators/elevators and take the stairs to get the blood flowing after sitting so long.

If I haven't checked a bag I'm through the airport like a rocket. If I have checked a bag, I go for a piss, rinse my face, fill my water bottle (if there's a fountain/potable water), and then go to the baggage carousel and wait.

NC headphones, tablet, book.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by davidI View Post
    The noise-cancelling headphones I've used are great. I've never bought them though because everyone I know who has had them, has eventually forgotten them in the seatback. I think the problem is that they come with a nice case that fits perfectly in a seatback pocket. I carry some <$100 Sony bluetooth over-ear headphones that I use for work calls and just put them in the seatback pocket with one ear sticking out when I'm not wearing them.

As far as flying goes, after probably 600+ flights (563 tracked: OpenFlights ), I definitely have my idiosyncrasies.

I tend to pack light. If I can avoid checking luggage, I do. I have a trucker's bladder so I go for a window seat if I can.

I hit the lounge before the flight for a snack and a few drinks (typically hard stuff to maximize the buzz to bladder impact). I nick a bottle of water and newspaper/magazine if I can for the flight.

Just before boarding, I take out a little "flight kit" I made from an old business class amenity pouch that contains earphones, earplugs, eye mask, and a pen for customs/immigration forms. I also take out a sweater/long-sleeve shirt to wear if it's cold or use as a pillow if I don't have one.

I'm always extra nice to the cabin crew on boarding. I know quite a few and they definitely remember who is friendly/polite/useful and sometimes offer up little perks (extra mini-bottles/pillows/water/whatever) during the flight.

If there are movies I tend to put on the headphones and get into that. Nothing beats a bit of a buzz, a good movie, and having nothing to worry about on the ground below (work, in particular). I don't typically sleep well on flights so if there's not IFE I try to read or listen to podcasts and rest my eyes.

On exiting the aircraft I walk as fast as I can to get ahead of everyone for immigration/customs. I skip the escalators/elevators and take the stairs to get the blood flowing after sitting so long.

If I haven't checked a bag I'm through the airport like a rocket. If I have checked a bag, I go for a piss, rinse my face, fill my water bottle (if there's a fountain/potable water), and then go to the baggage carousel and wait.
    This is pretty much 99% of my routine as well, all the way to the exit. I've timed my best exit time from gate to taxi at 3.5 mins from the international terminal. Thank you Nexus.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

How is your head after drinking and getting on the plane?
    I surprised my parents a couple years ago by flying in on xmas day. My friend threw me a air Canada lounge pass. The same day my niece was born(UK). So I was celebrating in the Air Canada lounge. Free drinks! I got a awesome pre flight buzz..
    OMG Im never drinking before a flight again...

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    I really need to try a set of these noise cancelling headphones. I have the Bose over ear ones, but not noise cancelling. Looks like those Sony ones are a few bucks cheaper than the Bose QC35's. Although the controls look terrible on them.
    I picked up a set of Seinhauser BTC on sale (though i have to exchange it as I picked one up with a faulty cable).

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    I surprised my parents a couple years ago by flying in on xmas day. My friend threw me a air Canada lounge pass. The same day my niece was born(UK). So I was celebrating in the Air Canada lounge. Free drinks! I got a awesome pre flight buzz..
    OMG Im never drinking before a flight again...

I picked up a set of Seinhauser BTC on sale (though i have to exchange it as I picked one up with a faulty cable).
    I don't fly very well and usually have 2 or more drinks prior to flying.. never have had an issue.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

It's fine. I can handle my booze pretty well. There have been a few times I boarded a late night / early morning flight straight from a night club in Dubai to my hotel to grab my luggage to the flight... I sleep pretty well on those ones!

Once on Emirates business class I went through 2.5 bottles of Dom on the flight - there were very few pax and the stewardess seemed to think it would be fun to just get me steamin'.

Another time with BA economy I asked for a double G&T and this old British lass was great - she handed me 2 mini bottles and 2 mini cans of tonic and winked at me. I didn't really get why she handed me the double tonics until a few minutes later when she back-handed me 2 more bottles of gin. She kept backhanding me mini-bottles 2 at a time through the rest of the flight (probably ended up having 5 doubles thanks to her haha.

Another time on an AC economy flight from Montreal to Calgary I sat next to an older construction guy from up North and we got to chatting about his projects in Russia and Mongolia and what not and he kept on buying double Jack and Cokes for us. The rest of the passengers were not impressed haha.

Another time in Thai business to Bangkok I sat next to a Kiwi guy who was a commodity trader that was going to meet his buddies for a charity golf thing. It sounded mental - if they hit a water hazard it was $500. Sand $200. Bogey $100. Double $200. etc. etc. etc. Just wealthy lads out to piss it up and have a good time. Anyways, he and I sampled every whisky they had on the flight. The FA was great about it and we even started doing blind tastings and guessing what we were having.

EK's A380 business has a bar in the back so that always leads to a little extra consumption.

Usually, I don't chat to whoever is sitting next to me but sometimes it ends up being a great ol' time.

That's a whole lotta flights. Are you still doing the backpacking thing? Avoiding China like the plague I see haha

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

57 trips between Dubai and Sanaa Yemen? Wow dude. Wow.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan View Post
    That's a whole lotta flights. Are you still doing the backpacking thing? Avoiding China like the plague I see haha
    Yes and no. Slowing down a bit after ~120 countries. I still have a few places I'd like to get to in the next few years but most I'm not in a rush to visit. I'll probably top out at 150 countries and then just keep returning to my favourites.

The whole visa thing for China, Russia, Mongolia, Brazil, etc. can be a pain in the arse when living overseas as well. I haven't checked the requirements recently but they usually need you to send your passport to Ottawa or another consul, which I can't very well be done while traveling. I've been to Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Macau but China mainland is definitely still on the hit list.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    57 trips between Dubai and Sanaa Yemen? Wow dude. Wow.
    Home sweet home. Haven't been able to go back and get my things from my apartment for nearly 5 years now due to that pesky war so I'm moving to Spain in 2020.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Yes and no. Slowing down a bit after ~120 countries. I still have a few places I'd like to get to in the next few years but most I'm not in a rush to visit. I'll probably top out at 150 countries and then just keep returning to my favourites.

The whole visa thing for China, Russia, Mongolia, Brazil, etc. can be a pain in the arse when living overseas as well. I haven't checked the requirements recently but they usually need you to send your passport to Ottawa or another consul, which I can't very well be done while traveling. I've been to Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Macau but China mainland is definitely still on the hit list.

Home sweet home. Haven't been able to go back and get my things from my apartment for nearly 5 years now due to that pesky war so I'm moving to Spain in 2020.
    Wow... where has been your favorite travel places?
    Which places (countries, cities) have the best food? Details of food please.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Wow... where has been your favorite travel places?
    Which places (countries, cities) have the best food? Details of food please.
    I don't want to hijack the thread but countries that come to mind include Sri Lanka, Japan, Myanmar, Namibia, South Africa, Moldova, Bulgaria, Colombia, Peru, and Spain. I've been to most at least twice for a month or more but I could easily spend a year or two in any of those listed above.

Best food: Japan, Spain, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Peru, and Turkey come to mind. (Europe, in general, is great and of course, big cities like NYC, Dubai, Austin, Vancouver, Tokyo, etc. always have great restaurants) Details on the food and what's good really depends on the region and time of year (i.e. what's locally fresh and available at that time).

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

^ Namibia

Definitely need a quick back story - and worth a quick thread derail. I would have never guess it would be an "A" place to visit! (usually the ones you never hear, are)

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Direct.

Always direct.

I hate connecting flights. I will pay a lot of extra money to not connect.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    ^ Namibia

Definitely need a quick back story - and worth a quick thread derail. I would have never guess it would be an "A" place to visit! (usually the ones you never hear, are)
    +1
    Yeah we gona need a back story and details of the food there please...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast