Quantcast
Where to stay in Maui & what to do? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Where to stay in Maui & what to do?

My Ride
    rally pig

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadboss101 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Will also find a nice place to eat with nice view.
    https://www.mamasfishhouse.com/

view of the North shore is amazing from there.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Thanks guys. We are across the street from Charlie Young Beach in Kihei.. Current was pretty strong there on Saturday. Sunday we did go to Big Beach and it was windy. Either day no or not many young ones in the water. Not many adults in the water either.

Will check out the aquarium today. Do the Sunrise and Hana the next couple days.

Mother in law and my wife and the enjoying it so far. Will also find a nice place to eat with nice view. Went for sushi at Sensei last night. My wife and I spent $125 without alcohol. We went to Costco for groceries the day after we arrived! One can spend $ at Costco regardless of where they are :-)
    There is a great place for lunch in Kehei that I highly recommend. Super fresh and tasty!
    https://nalusmaui.com/

For BBQ this place is awesome as well, also located in Kehei
    http://www.fatdaddysmaui.com/

For dinner, hands down Mamas Fish House. Might be tough getting resos on short notice though.
    https://www.mamasfishhouse.com/

If you want to stay on the south side then Humble Market Kitchen by Roy Yamaguchi
    https://www.royyamaguchi.com/humble-market-kitchen-maui

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Just a heads up, Makena beach (big beach) is not a kid friendly beach,
    Take them to Little Beach then haha

Quote Originally Posted by 2Legit2Quit View Post
    I'm in Kauai at the moment, hope it's nice and sunny on Maui as it is here today
    Weather is rainy and windy here this morning.

My Ride
    Macan GTS

just got back from maui, was a first time visit for me. stayed at the ho'olei of the grand wailea resort, a pretty incredible 3BR/3.5bath townhouse in a complex just behind the resort. total of 6 adults that included a set of grandparents and 2 kids under two. did 2 half days at wailea beach, 2 half days in the pool, aquarium during the only wet day last week, some shopping, lots of shaved ice, lunches and dinners out in addition to a round of 18 on wailea blue course. it was a bit shocking how quickly the time went.

restaurants that we particularly enjoyed were mama's fish house, sansei seafood and sushi (very accommodating to families) and nick's fish market at the fairmont. however, the best meal we had was probably at home with crab legs that we had bought from costco.

didn't love the overnight flight back to calgary because it's hard on the toddlers and subsequent meltdowns (shortlived thankfully) but at least you get to squeeze in almost one more full day there.

My Ride
    WK2

Quote Originally Posted by kJUMP View Post
    just got back from maui, was a first time visit for me. stayed at the ho'olei of the grand wailea resort, a pretty incredible 3BR/3.5bath townhouse in a complex just behind the resort. total of 6 adults that included a set of grandparents and 2 kids under two. did 2 half days at wailea beach, 2 half days in the pool, aquarium during the only wet day last week, some shopping, lots of shaved ice, lunches and dinners out in addition to a round of 18 on wailea blue course. it was a bit shocking how quickly the time went.

restaurants that we particularly enjoyed were mama's fish house, sansei seafood and sushi (very accommodating to families) and nick's fish market at the fairmont. however, the best meal we had was probably at home with crab legs that we had bought from costco.

didn't love the overnight flight back to calgary because it's hard on the toddlers and subsequent meltdowns (shortlived thankfully) but at least you get to squeeze in almost one more full day there.
    Westjet 1857? There was a dad in row ~15 who I felt so bad for. It looked like he had spent the day battling food poisoning, maybe a hangover, and was dealing with one of the biggest toddler meltdowns I have ever seen, but I digress. Just got back from Maui ourselves. Spent a week with our 9 month old, and some family friends who had a 4 MO. Was a great trip. Mama's fish house was probably one of the best meals I've ever had. Toured around Lahina for a day, Wailea another, but spent most of our time in Kihei around our accommodations pool and the surrounding beaches. Maui Brewing Co was a nice way to spend an afternoon too!

My Ride
    Macan GTS

Quote Originally Posted by 94CoRd View Post
    Westjet 1857? There was a dad in row ~15 who I felt so bad for. It looked like he had spent the day battling food poisoning, maybe a hangover, and was dealing with one of the biggest toddler meltdowns I have ever seen, but I digress. Just got back from Maui ourselves. Spent a week with our 9 month old, and some family friends who had a 4 MO. Was a great trip. Mama's fish house was probably one of the best meals I've ever had. Toured around Lahina for a day, Wailea another, but spent most of our time in Kihei around our accommodations pool and the surrounding beaches. Maui Brewing Co was a nice way to spend an afternoon too!
    AC 588 actually, when we were booking the WJ flights were 30% more for some reason. so many kids on both flights, in varying states of disarray and sleep debt, so didn't feel too too bad when ours went haywire for a bit. glad to hear you guys had a great time! mama's in particular was such a great experience that went beyond the food... beautiful views of the north shore, large and nicely decorated restaurant, prompt friendly service etc etc

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

So regarding Maui we missed making reservation for Haleakalā for sunrise. So where is another good place to see the sunrise? Wife is not into seeing the sunset up there.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

You need a reservation now?
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    You need a reservation now?
    Yup.

And since the 2018 floods, on Kauai you now need a parking permit to go past Hanalei to Tunnels Beach, Ke'e beach or the Kalalau trail. They have a shuttle as well. A few popular things on those islands are becoming very regulated.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

So regarding Maui we missed making reservation for Haleakalā for sunrise. So where is another good place to see the sunrise? Wife is not into seeing the sunset up there.

Honestly the sunrise is a pain in the ass. You have to wake up so early to make it anywhere to see it.

The sunset is way more impressive. I’ve done both.

Honestly the sunrise is a pain in the ass. You have to wake up so early to make it anywhere to see it.

It is entirely dependent on the exact conditions for the particular day and what the clouds are doing as to which is more impressive. Of the few I've seen, the sunrises have been better (which is why the sunrise there is so famous) but it just depends on the conditions. If you're flexible time-wise, make your decision based on weather. It wasn't at all difficult or a PITA the few times I have been.

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

A recommendation we received was to go up to see the sunrise on your first morning in Maui, that way it’s easier to get up early due to the time change.
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Quote Originally Posted by 90_Shelby View Post
    A recommendation we received was to go up to see the sunrise on your first morning in Maui, that way it’s easier to get up early due to the time change.
    For first time visitors I can’t imagine wanting to wake up at 5am the first day out to drive from most accommodations in Maui for more than an hour in pitch dark conditions in an unfamiliar setting to make your way to the top of a volcano. Cold and usually windy, stumbling over rocks to find a spot amongst a 100+ tourists also stumbling in the dark to watch the sun rise, freezing your ass off.

I always suggest going for the sunset if it’s your first time so you can familiarize yourself with the location and all the paths. Makes it way easier to navigate if you choose to do the sunrise. Cause you are literally blind in the dark if you don’t know where to go.

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

For first time visitors I can’t imagine wanting to wake up at 5am the first day out to drive from most accommodations in Maui for more than an hour in pitch dark conditions in an unfamiliar setting to make your way to the top of a volcano. Cold and usually windy, stumbling over rocks to find a spot amongst a 100+ tourists also stumbling in the dark to watch the sun rise, freezing your ass off.

I always suggest going for the sunset if it’s your first time so you can familiarize yourself with the location and all the paths. Makes it way easier to navigate if you choose to do the sunrise. Cause you are literally blind in the dark if you don’t know where to go.
    I'm not going to try and convince someone what to do on their vacation but if someone wanted to go and see the sunrise, going on the first morning when you arrive makes the most sense. Personally, I'm awake between 6AM and 7AM everyday in Calgary, Maui time, that's 3-4AM. It's an hour and a half drive from Wailea to the top, and sunrise is at 7AM Maui time, plenty of time to drive up.

We were fortunate that the Jeep we rented 6 years ago had headlights and I have experience driving when it's dark out therefore the drive was no problem at all. We parked at the parking lot at the top and easily walked through the parking lot to the visitor center to grab a spot inside at a window. Yes it was cold, which is expected but there was no wind, maybe we got lucky? The parking lot was paved and the sidewalk clean and clear so we didn't have troubles stumbling or finding our way on the short walk to the visitor center either.

Sounds like we've had very different experiences.
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Quote Originally Posted by 90_Shelby View Post
    I'm not going to try and convince someone what to do on their vacation but if someone wanted to go and see the sunrise, going on the first morning when you arrive makes the most sense. Personally, I'm awake between 6AM and 7AM everyday in Calgary, Maui time, that's 3-4AM. It's an hour and a half drive from Wailea to the top, and sunrise is at 7AM Maui time, plenty of time to drive up.

We were fortunate that the Jeep we rented 6 years ago had headlights and I have experience driving when it's dark out therefore the drive was no problem at all. We parked at the parking lot at the top and easily walked through the parking lot to the visitor center to grab a spot inside at a window. Yes it was cold, which is expected but there was no wind, maybe we got lucky? The parking lot was paved and the sidewalk clean and clear so we didn't have troubles stumbling or finding our way on the short walk to the visitor center either.

Sounds like we've had very different experiences.
    Exactly my point, sounds like you walked to the edge of the parking lot to the guard rail by the visitor centre where most first time people go along with the tour bus groups. When it’s that dark most don’t realize there is an awesome path to a look out point that takes roughly 15 minutes to walk up where you have a more surreal experience and view. We discovered this during our visit for the sunset, we walked around for a couple hours enjoying the amazing views. Made planning for the sunrise way better and much more enjoyable.

Saying that, the sunset is still much more enjoyable.
    Last edited by 89coupe; 02-13-2020 at 11:22 PM.

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

Well, going home soon. Night flight. Our 20 month boy cried for a good amount on the flight here. Will see how it goes on our way back. Vacation can be stressful with two little ones. Both grandmas also joined us. We did enjoy the sites, sights, food and good times. Now I have the vas surgery to look forward to on Tuesday!

Lol, it's not NEARLY that bad. There is only 2 or 3 turns all the way from Kihei to the summit and everyone has google maps. When you're up there, you aren't stumbling over rocks - you walk across the paved parking lot to a viewing center with a couple dozen other people or you can go down a path for a different vantage point. If you want to do it, go - it's super easy. There's a reason the sunrise if famous and not the sunset, but like I said before it's entirely dependent on the individual conditions for that day (mostly clouds). It's also not that dark because there are tons of people, cars, and lights up there - and you can use the flashlight on your phone to light your path if you really need to. If you want to go exploring, bring a flashlight or use your phone. I think coupe was on a different mountain
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 02-14-2020 at 10:44 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    I think coupe was on a different mountain
    he always is man.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

Flight here was delayed 6 hours, with 5 time changes.
    We got two notices so far and delay of 2:05. Fun!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast