Quantcast
Where to stay in Maui & what to do? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Where to stay in Maui & what to do?

My Ride
    G05

Default Where to stay in Maui & what to do?

Hi,

Just booked a trip for the family to Maui next year. Where would you recommend staying that won't cost an arm and a leg and what to do with the family there. Keep in mine I will have 4 yr and 2 yr old with me.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Paging @89coupe ....
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by s2k_boi View Post
    Hi,

Just booked a trip for the family to Maui next year. Where would you recommend staying that won't cost an arm and a leg and what to do with the family there. Keep in mine I will have 4 yr and 2 yr old with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Paging @89coupe ....
    You missed a key component of his post. We can't all be ballers making 89coupe money.
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Quote Originally Posted by s2k_boi View Post
    Hi,

I book with these ladies, they have a total of 8 units located in Ekahi Village. In my opinion one of the nicest locations on the island.

https://bestwaileacondos.com/

https://www.ekahivacationcondos.com/

Road to Hana is a fun day trip, leave early, end by hiking up to Waimoku falls.

Haleakala is a fun day trip, sunset is better than the sunrise. Go early as the the top observation parking lot fills up fast.

Drive up to Honolua Bay for swimming, a gorgeous beach and amazing snorkelling.

Only cost is the rental, park passes and whatever food you pack for snacks.

Lots of affordable places to eat, all depends on your preference for food.

There is a Costco on the island and a 24hr Safeway, buy food for your condo and make your own dinners.

All the beaches are free, and have public access.

Let me know your budget and I can recommend activities that cost money.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by 90_Shelby View Post
    You missed a key component of his post. We can't all be ballers making 89coupe money.
    Hey brother, I hear ya. I've never even been to Hawaii, whole place is too baller for me.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Hey brother, I hear ya. I've never even been to Hawaii, whole place is too baller for me.
    Said the guy looking to spend $400 on some headphones.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    Said the guy looking to spend $400 on some headphones.
    The guy trying NOT to spend $400 on some headphones and agonizing over the cost.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

If our dollar wasn't so shitty, it's actually not that expensive compared to the usual Canadian ripoff prices. When we were on par with the USD, the prices were pretty identical to staying anywhere touristy in Canada. Hotel, meals, etc.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Lol in my experience Maui is take whatever you think in a reasonable cost and triple it and that what you should expect. Across the board.

But it’s a great place. Super nice and lots of fun.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Harley Nightster

I was just there 3 weeks ago for the first time, I did the VRBO route and both places I stayed in (Lahaina @ Lahaina Maui Vacation Resort and Kihei @ Kihei Resort) were great and relatively inexpensive (I paid the same amount to fly to Cancun for spring break in my university years). Wailea is definitely a nice area, same as Kaanapali beach but you're paying an arm and a leg to stay in the area for pretty much no reason and the condos we got were really nice and had lots of room (and had paddle/snorkeling gear in both places, everything you need..). You'll need a rental car pretty everywhere regardless, and parking at all the beaches and what not I never had an issue with. Get your car from: https://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/

Definitely visit Aloha Mixed Grill in Lahaina, food is AWESOME as is the view. Also check out Kihei Caffe for breakfast.

Road to Hana was really nice, black sand beach was incredible scenary, lots of waterfalls to check out. If you like Thai food go to the place in Hana, definitely recommend it as it tasted the exact same as I had in Thailand.

I pretty much saw everything except the crater cause I really didn't care for it to be honest... so if you have any questions just pm me.

$ wise, I spent $2300-2500 for 8 days (including flight from Vancouver) all in.
    Last edited by KO22; 11-27-2019 at 10:22 AM.

My Ride
    Lariat

I did Homeaway/vrbo 2 years ago and stayed in a great unit at the Kamaole Sands building in south Kehei, right across from Kam 3 beach. Such a nice spot. I would definitely recommend that building, lots of other people I know have stayed there and loved it.
    As far as things to do, there are so many amazing beaches to check out, Makena being my favourite, surf, golf, tour around, eat.
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by asp integra View Post
    I did Homeaway/vrbo 2 years ago and stayed in a great unit at the Kamaole Sands building in south Kehei, right across from Kam 3 beach. Such a nice spot. I would definitely recommend that building, lots of other people I know have stayed there and loved it.
    As far as things to do, there are so many amazing beaches to check out, Makena being my favourite, surf, golf, tour around, eat.
    I always recommend south Kihei or Wailea. It's older and a little more rundown than all the new hotels and resorts in Kaanapali, but the beaches and restaurants aren't crammed full like Miami Beach.

Maui is the most expensive island but it's not nearly as bad as people would have you believe. You don't have to do a helicopter tour every day and eat every meal at Mama's Fish House. Accommodation will always be by far your biggest single expenditure but other than that it's really not bad at all. Flights are almost always cheap as well unless you're going for Christmas or something.

I've been to Maui 4 times and it has almost always been under budget. Looking at the last time I went, it was 10 nights, direct flights were $430 via WestJet ($370 with AC if you were willing to connect via Vancover), rental car $300 (midsize/Elantra), condo-style accommodation walking distance from Lahaina and steps from the ocean $830/pp (4 of us). Good food and fresh fish is not expensive if you avoid the over-hyped restaurants. Once you're there, a lot of what you will probably want to do is free (beaches, hikes, road to Hana, Haleakala, etc.) The best 2hr whale tours are about $50/pp if you're going between ~Nov-Mar.

If you REALLY want to do it on the cheap, buy your food at Costco on day 1 and cook your own dinners, but going out to eat every day is half the fun of Vacation IMO.

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

Enjoyed day one with our kids. Coffee and breakfast out, Costco run and a beach across from our place. Planning to visit Aquarium, road to Hana, Makena beach, some of the restaurants, and a few other places next few days.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadboss101 View Post
    Enjoyed day one with our kids. Coffee and breakfast out, Costco run and a beach across from our place. Planning to visit Aquarium, road to Hana, Makena beach, some of the restaurants, and a few other places next few days.
    What part of the island are you staying at?

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Just a heads up, Makena beach (big beach) is not a kid friendly beach, the shore break is very dangerous if you are not familiar and I wouldn’t recommend it for smaller children unless you are very comfortable in a strong current and a good swimmer.

If you are staying in Wailea or Kehei there are much safer beaches for kids.

I would recommend Ulua beach instead.

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

I'm in Kauai at the moment, hope it's nice and sunny on Maui as it is here today

My Ride
    rally pig

^lots of sea urchins there too, also don't venture to Little beach with your kids

referring to 89coupe
    Last edited by taemo; 02-09-2020 at 09:12 PM.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

road to Hana
    The audio tour (paid app) is pretty good. It gives you lots of options for pitstops along the way. Definitely make sure you get a head start on it (like 7:30/8am) if you plan to be on the way back before dark.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...aka.guide.maui

There's a bunch of other trips you can take on the app too but I didn't try those
    Apparently there's versions for different islands too

edit: no view but Da Kitchen is Da Bomb for food.
    Last edited by jwslam; 02-10-2020 at 12:12 PM.

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

Thanks guys. We are across the street from Charlie Young Beach in Kihei.. Current was pretty strong there on Saturday. Sunday we did go to Big Beach and it was windy. Either day no or not many young ones in the water. Not many adults in the water either.

Will check out the aquarium today. Do the Sunrise and Hana the next couple days.

Mother in law and my wife and the enjoying it so far. Will also find a nice place to eat with nice view. Went for sushi at Sensei last night. My wife and I spent $125 without alcohol. We went to Costco for groceries the day after we arrived! One can spend $ at Costco regardless of where they are :-)
    Last edited by bigbadboss101; 02-10-2020 at 11:14 AM.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast