Quantcast
Intact Insurance App tracking my Physical Activity - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Intact Insurance App tracking my Physical Activity

So I'm guessing that its playing with fire to install a Chinese spycam control app?
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by kenny View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There was a crackdown?
    definitely was .... fucking '09s

Quote Originally Posted by BerserkerCatSplat View Post
    I'm like 90% certain that's why Join Date was removed from user profiles until the most recent version update. Too much noob bashing. So we switched to comparing e-peens via user ID number.

11 years ago, jesus.
    Oh that's right! I forgot about that change.
    ---

My Ride
    Silverado

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    That's nothing, I had to submit nude pics to get my Beyond account verified.
    Had to prove you're Asian?

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Weird. I am currently using the Intact app, and it isn't accessing anything like that. Nothing that I wouldn't expect it to.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

So this thread has prompted me to do a little investigating. I haven't hidden the fact that to date I'm not 100% sold on this idea, in fact I have my own file with Intact and I don't use the app (yet anyway). Maybe it's a little too much tinfoil hat on my end, or maybe it's the fact that I know I don't always behave behind the wheel (there's a time and a place for everything) but like it or not I see this kind of things becoming more & more common down the road. I contacted the person at Intact we deal with for this type of thing and here's the response I got to the OP:

Hey Bill,

Couple things here:

Yes, the app does need access to your ‘Physical Activity’ – this is how it is used to track your driving habits, like he says
    The entire point of the app is to track driving habits, so there isn’t anything sneaky there, should be fairly transparent
    Physical Activity is only tracked while in the app, it is not tracking your other physical activity in the background

As far as texting and driving, at this point the app can not monitor that
    Right now, the app monitors rapid acceleration, hard braking and time of day driven
    There has been discussion about expanding the metrics to include things like distracted driving, but at this point this is not part of the app
    If it is included in the future, we will communicate this overtly

The app is highly regulated by the OSFI and Insurance Superintendent – we are not able to push through updates to track additional features without approval
    Rest assured, Intact reputation is far too important to risk pushing through features that are not approved

He then goes on to chat about some other Intact stuff that isn't related to this conversation but I thought you guys might find their response interesting.

Cheers!
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

So is there a discount for using the app? If not, it seems like this could only negatively effect a person.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

I posted this in the auto insurance thread but will reiterate here that Bill was very transparent with his knowledge of Pembridge's app tracking which is what sold me on using it.

The Intact rep's answer aligns with what I know about the Pembridge's My_Bridge app as far as the 3 aspects tracked: acceleration, braking, and time of day.

I do not know how bad network connectivity impacts the app tracking but I've been using it for one month out of the 6 months period. App estimates that I'm looking at 22% savings.

It's another story for my wife though. She insists that she's a good driver but she stops way too late for my comfort In the other thread, another Beyond member echoes what some app users have been saying; that the app shows hard braking events where there is no braking involved and/or perceived hard braking.

TL;DR, yes, there is a discount and IIRC, Bill said that once the trial period of 6 months is over, the discount is applied to your policy indefinitely unless something anomalous occurs. Additionally, I received a 10% right out of the gate for signing up for the program.

Ultimately, I don't think insurance companies are in it for nefarious purposes. They all want good drivers that pay premiums and don't cost them money. No insurance companies want shitty drivers and liabilities that impact their bottom line.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Bandit View Post
    So this thread has prompted me to do a little investigating. I haven't hidden the fact that to date I'm not 100% sold on this idea, in fact I have my own file with Intact and I don't use the app (yet anyway). Maybe it's a little too much tinfoil hat on my end, or maybe it's the fact that I know I don't always behave behind the wheel (there's a time and a place for everything) but like it or not I see this kind of things becoming more & more common down the road.
    Easy fix, bro. Drive safe until the trial period is over or just disable tracking in the app and go hooning haha.

Ironically, after I installed the app, I've been more mindful of my habits/speed, but maybe it's also because winter is here.

I want them savings

This works out for me because by the time my 6 months is over, spring will be here and I won't need the app anymore.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post
    I posted this in the auto insurance thread but will reiterate here that Bill was very transparent with his knowledge of Pembridge's app tracking which is what sold me on using it.

The Intact rep's answer aligns with what I know about the Pembridge's My_Bridge app as far as the 3 aspects tracked: acceleration, braking, and time of day.

I do not know how bad network connectivity impacts the app tracking but I've been using it for one month out of the 6 months period. App estimates that I'm looking at 22% savings.

It's another story for my wife though. She insists that she's a good driver but she stops way too late for my comfort In the other thread, another Beyond member echoes what some app users have been saying; that the app shows hard braking events where there is no braking involved and/or perceived hard braking.

TL;DR, yes, there is a discount and IIRC, Bill said that once the trial period of 6 months is over, the discount is applied to your policy indefinitely unless something anomalous occurs. Additionally, I received a 10% right out of the gate for signing up for the program.

Ultimately, I don't think insurance companies are in it for nefarious purposes. They all want good drivers that pay premiums and don't cost them money. No insurance companies want shitty drivers and liabilities that impact their bottom line.
    I assume you have to sign in every time you are driving one of the cars on the policy? Otherwise I can see being a passenger in another vehicle or being on the bus/train negatively affecting the data collected.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Are we talking the driver habits app... or the intact app to access your policies and pink cards? Or are they one in the same?

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Quote Originally Posted by FraserB View Post
    I assume you have to sign in every time you are driving one of the cars on the policy? Otherwise I can see being a passenger in another vehicle or being on the bus/train negatively affecting the data collected.
    By default, the app runs in the background so it is tracking movement at all times but if it ends up tracking a trip where you're the passenger, you can check a box and it'll remove it from the analysis. You can also disable tracking within the app if you have an extended period of time where you're using other modes of transportation.

I had a quirky trip where it showed me taking a route with a destination that clearly wasn't mine and it also had a hard braking event, so I went in and checked it as "Not My Trip."

If you're using the app but your routine frequently has you in other vehicles, it's something you'll have to just be more mindful about.

My Ride
    toyota MR2

No just "hanging out" by the squat rack anymore Mike. Intact now knows what we've known all along

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    So just went through some of my apps to make sure permissions are all in order.
    I get to my Intact Insurance app and I see everything turned off as I had but obviously over the course of some updates they have pushed out on my Android phone, "Physical Activity" is turned on?!

I believe this can track your walking, driving, running habits. Basically they can see if I was talking/texting and driving or other info that could be used without my overt acceptance.
    Just a warning for all to go check that app if they have it.
    Sneaky bastards!
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

So many free apps available just sell your data that you agree to give them upon installing. I have to wonder if the app itself is half designed as revenue generation for that purpose, and other half for what the app advertises to actually do.

Google or Apple know all anyways. What is really private these days.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I have not installed the app - but does it TELL YOU IN PLAIN ENGLISH that its doing this in the background?

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    So is there a discount for using the app? If not, it seems like this could only negatively effect a person.
    Yes up to 20%.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    I have not installed the app - but does it TELL YOU IN PLAIN ENGLISH that its doing this in the background?
    Yes it does. And there is even an icon in the top header on my Samsung S9 showing that it is active whenever I unlock it.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

By default, the app runs in the background so it is tracking movement at all times but if it ends up tracking a trip where you're the passenger, you can check a box and it'll remove it from the analysis. You can also disable tracking within the app if you have an extended period of time where you're using other modes of transportation.

I had a quirky trip where it showed me taking a route with a destination that clearly wasn't mine and it also had a hard braking event, so I went in and checked it as "Not My Trip."

If you're using the app but your routine frequently has you in other vehicles, it's something you'll have to just be more mindful about.
    So, you just mark yourself down as a passenger for any "spirited" driving or if you are in a hurry, and enable the app when you're in rush hour or if there's traffic? That seems way too easy to manipulate but maybe I am missing something. Or just mark it as "not my trip" every single time it flags anything that would be viewed as negative if it provides that information to you before it is sent to the insurance company.

I don't really see a downside to the app if you get up to 20% savings and have complete control over the data.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 11-29-2019 at 03:43 PM.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    Right now in our office both Pembridge & Intact offer this. Pembridge gives 15% just for signing up and Intact is 10%. After the monitoring period (six months for Pembridge and nine for Intact) your results are locked in at anywhere from 0% to 25% and that discount is applied to year two and forward for as long as you have the policy.

Easy fix, bro. Drive safe until the trial period is over or just disable tracking in the app and go hooning haha.

Ironically, after I installed the app, I've been more mindful of my habits/speed, but maybe it's also because winter is here.

I want them savings

This works out for me because by the time my 6 months is over, spring will be here and I won't need the app anymore.

We've had all kinds of conversations on how to game the system and if you're truly vigilant for the entire monitoring period I think you could do quite well but I suspect after a few weeks I would just forget about it and end up with all kinds of weird shit on my results.

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    Are we talking the driver habits app... or the intact app to access your policies and pink cards? Or are they one in the same?
    There's two, one to access your policies for pink cards & such and then a different one for the driver tracking or "telematics".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    So, you just mark yourself down as a passenger for any "spirited" driving or if you are in a hurry, and enable the app when you're in rush hour or if there's traffic? That seems way too easy to manipulate but maybe I am missing something. Or just mark it as "not my trip" every single time it flags anything that would be viewed as negative if it provides that information to you before it is sent to the insurance company.

I don't really see a downside to the app if you get up to 20% savings and have complete control over the data.
    As I understand it you can't view the results of a trip and then designate it as "not my trip".
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Bandit View Post
    So this thread has prompted me to do a little investigating. I haven't hidden the fact that to date I'm not 100% sold on this idea, in fact I have my own file with Intact and I don't use the app (yet anyway). Maybe it's a little too much tinfoil hat on my end, or maybe it's the fact that I know I don't always behave behind the wheel (there's a time and a place for everything) but like it or not I see this kind of things becoming more & more common down the road. I contacted the person at Intact we deal with for this type of thing and here's the response I got to the OP:

Hey Bill,

Couple things here:

Yes, the app does need access to your ‘Physical Activity’ – this is how it is used to track your driving habits, like he says
    The entire point of the app is to track driving habits, so there isn’t anything sneaky there, should be fairly transparent
    Physical Activity is only tracked while in the app, it is not tracking your other physical activity in the background

As far as texting and driving, at this point the app can not monitor that
    Right now, the app monitors rapid acceleration, hard braking and time of day driven
    There has been discussion about expanding the metrics to include things like distracted driving, but at this point this is not part of the app
    If it is included in the future, we will communicate this overtly

The app is highly regulated by the OSFI and Insurance Superintendent – we are not able to push through updates to track additional features without approval
    Rest assured, Intact reputation is far too important to risk pushing through features that are not approved

He then goes on to chat about some other Intact stuff that isn't related to this conversation but I thought you guys might find their response interesting.

Cheers!
    Quote Originally Posted by FraserB View Post
    The statement Bill provided seems that there is no background data collection so id think you would have to open the app at minimum.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast