Quantcast
Intact Insurance App tracking my Physical Activity - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Intact Insurance App tracking my Physical Activity

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Bandit View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

As I understand it you can't view the results of a trip and then designate it as "not my trip".
    OK. rx7boi mentioned he saw a hard breaking event and then just market it down as not his trip, so I assumed you could see the data beforehand.

So, there's still nothing preventing you from only enabling it during rush hour and other times where you know there is zero chance of your driving breaking the 'rules'? And simply disabling it for all other driving. As you mentioned, you might forget sometimes, but it seems too easy to defeat given the potential savings. I'm surprised the insurance companies do it that way but I guess that's good news for anyone using the program.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

give me a bit, and I will post up about the app and my experiences with it.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Thanks Bill for digging into this.
    I think there's a bit of confusion on which app.
    I had the intact app to view policy and pink slips. This had the physical activity permission on it.
    I get the other driving app obviously does and doesn't hide it.
    I was just surprised this one had it and maybe its an oversight on Intact's part.
    Regardless, the app is gone off my phone. I got the physical slip in my car.

Tracking these metrics out of context I think will lead to some pretty good profits for lawyers in the future.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    So, you just mark yourself down as a passenger for any "spirited" driving or if you are in a hurry, and enable the app when you're in rush hour or if there's traffic? That seems way too easy to manipulate but maybe I am missing something. Or just mark it as "not my trip" every single time it flags anything that would be viewed as negative if it provides that information to you before it is sent to the insurance company.

I don't really see a downside to the app if you get up to 20% savings and have complete control over the data.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    OK. rx7boi mentioned he saw a hard breaking event and then just market it down as not his trip, so I assumed you could see the data beforehand.

So, there's still nothing preventing you from only enabling it during rush hour and other times where you know there is zero chance of your driving breaking the 'rules'? And simply disabling it for all other driving. As you mentioned, you might forget sometimes, but it seems too easy to defeat given the potential savings. I'm surprised the insurance companies do it that way but I guess that's good news for anyone using the program.
    Yes, there's all sorts of ways to game the system as Bill mentioned. You can even install the app on another phone and give it to Grandma if she ever drives from noon to 2pm for 4km every trip to the grocery store.

The other side is that you still need to provide 6 months worth of data points. If you're habitually driving like a hooligan, there's a limti to how many times you can mark "Not My Trip." Additionally, it's data that is still attached to the account so you either mark them all and provide limited data points or leave some, in which case it would show inconsistent data trend. As per my conversation with Bill, I really don't know what sort of data goes to the insurance company so it is anyone's guess.

It would be a huge oversight if they didn't log data that may implicate cherry picking.

The only thing I don't like is that I had absolutely 0 hard braking events until that quirk popped up. The trip said I ended up in Beddington (and with a braking event) and I didn't even go there that day so from a single data point perspective, it would seem suspect for me to flag that trip as not mine.

Adding to this thread:
    Car manufacturers are also collecting GB of data from your driving habits to who you call and their location.
    I highly doubt they're destroying any of this considering AT&T has vaults of data collected since the mid 80s.

https://driving.ca/chevrolet/volt/au...o-find-out/amp

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Quote Originally Posted by spikerS View Post
    give me a bit, and I will post up about the app and my experiences with it.
    Bumping this thread. I said I would update, and I am.

So, yesterday, my monitoring period with Intact ended after 9 months. Baygirl's ends in another week.

So, 9 months of driving like a saint which wasn't really hard as it is kinda normal for me. Besides doing 120 on the QE2, I am a pretty normal driver although, I did really pay attention to my braking and pedestrian signals at intersections. gave me the sweats if I had to get on the brakes, and my first thoughts were always "did the app count that as a hard braking event?" Most of the time no, but it did ding me a couple times.

The biggest deterrent to the app is the number of false events it recorded. Especially on Deerfoot. I could be booting from the north to the south, and it would say I had 33 events in a 1 way trip! Thankfully, their tech support guys are pretty easy to get ahold of and quick to validate the data. For whatever reason my phone would ocassionally have some weird hiccup, and record all those events. When it happened, I called in, and it would be deleted from my profile. As mentioned earlier in the thread, you can not see the trip and events before you mark yourself as the driver or not, so you won't know if the trip was good until you accept it and that's fair.

So, overall experience for me I think was a positive one. I had a few events, but in the end, the app states that I will be getting a 24% discount (max 25%) which I am pretty happy with. Will save me a good chunk and with how fast insurance rates are climbing, I welcome it! Both Baygirl and I are rated as +15 drivers (or is it -15? I can't remember, we are lowest risk drivers according to them) so our insurance isn't gonna get any cheaper on it's own lol.

Here is an example of one of my bugged out trips:
    Name:  11Capture.JPG
Views: 187
Size:  37.8 KB

Name:  111Capture.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  22.9 KB

And this is my final results. Would I do it again, probably, yes.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

I appreciate this kind of real world feed back spikerS but alas it's largely mute at this point. Intact has changed their program from a nine month monitoring period to ongoing (app never comes off). In addition to the things like hard braking, distance driven and time of day you're on the road the app will also monitor more stuff now like rapid acceleration (11 KM/H / SECOND), fast cornering, direction of turns (left vs. right) how frequently you exceed 130 KM/H and distracted driving. I was luke warm on program in the first place and these changes sure don't help my comfort. Pembridge on the other hand hasn't announced any plans to follow suit, their app is staying with the basics and the pre-determined monitoring periord. With the new program I believe your driving score / discount is reset every six months.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

I appreciate this kind of real world feed back spikerS but alas it's largely mute at this point. Intact has changed their program from a nine month monitoring period to ongoing (app never comes off). In addition to the things like hard braking, distance driven and time of day you're on the road the app will also monitor more stuff now like rapid acceleration (11 KM/H / SECOND), fast cornering, direction of turns (left vs. right) how frequently you exceed 130 KM/H and distracted driving. I was luke warm on program in the first place and these changes sure don't help my comfort. Pembridge on the other hand hasn't announced any plans to follow suit, their app is staying with the basics and the pre-determined monitoring periord. With the new program I believe your driving score / discount is reset every six months.
    Well, that's a drag if that is the case @Masked Bandit .

My app is telling me that the assessment period is now over, and I spoke with a tech support guy yesterday who also said my monitoring period is over, and that Baygirl's ends in a couple days. I haven't deleted the app yet just in case i need to review the trip history, but I was planning on getting rid of it once Baygirl was done her assessment period.

With the changes you mentioned, is it retroactive and we will now be subject to full time monitoring and we lose the discount? or are Baygirl and I considered grandfathered in?
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by spikerS View Post
    Well, that's a drag if that is the case @Masked Bandit .

My app is telling me that the assessment period is now over, and I spoke with a tech support guy yesterday who also said my monitoring period is over, and that Baygirl's ends in a couple days. I haven't deleted the app yet just in case i need to review the trip history, but I was planning on getting rid of it once Baygirl was done her assessment period.

With the changes you mentioned, is it retroactive and we will now be subject to full time monitoring and we lose the discount? or are Baygirl and I considered grandfathered in?
    Sorry, I should have worded that better. Anyone that signs up from this point forward is on the new program. You've fulfilled your obligation and you keep that discount for as long as you have the policy.

Will it tell if you are on a plane...

Sir we have you driving in excess of 600 mph for over 8 hours...can you explain ???
    2011 Ram 1500 QC Sport
    2017 Jeep Cherokee Limited

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
    Will it tell if you are on a plane...

Sir we have you driving in excess of 600 mph for over 8 hours...can you explain ???
    lol...ya that shouldn't be an issue. Apparently the new one can tell the difference between you driving a car vs. riding public transit. Not sure how much I believe that but that's the story.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

lol...ya that shouldn't be an issue. Apparently the new one can tell the difference between you driving a car vs. riding public transit. Not sure how much I believe that but that's the story.
    How does it know if you are riding with someone else that drives poorly? Not sure if this was addressed before

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    How does it know if you are riding with someone else that drives poorly? Not sure if this was addressed before
    You either turn the app off or you mark it as "I'm the passenger."

Bill and I chatted about the app the other day because my wife and I finished the monitoring period a while back. For her, the app logged a bunch of strange/inaccurate data that we didn't reach out to the Pembridge support team to fix. Long story short, it was constantly logging hard braking events/acceleration like the buggy trip that spikerS posted and it never stopped throughout the 6 month monitoring period. I think she ended up with like 400 hard braking events and some other bogus data. We just lol'd and shook our heads but in hindsight, it is best to give this feedback to the team.

I haven't reached out to the Pembridge team about a possible re-do on the whole thing.

I'll let Bill clarify if needed but from our discussion and what he surmises, things like vibrations from putting the phone in a cupholder can fuck with the telematics app, especially if the phone isn't secure.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3