Quantcast
Construction Industry: Transitioning from Field to Office - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Construction Industry: Transitioning from Field to Office

Default Construction Industry: Transitioning from Field to Office

Hey guys, I know a bunch of you work in this field so I am looking for some suggestions.

I currently work as a Foreman in the construction industry, I have 6+ years field experience in this industry starting at labourer essentially and working up to Foreman. I would like to transition into a project management career and I feel like starting at project coordinator is a perfect transition from Foreman as a I have basic experience bidding, estimating, scheduling etc so I would have a good understanding of the position but would be able to learn a lot and it would be a challenge. I also have completed a Bachelor Degree in Management.

The problem that I am finding is that almost all job posting for Project Coordinator are looking for a technical diploma/degree in Architecture/Engineering which I do not have.

I am looking for suggestions on how to get past this hurdle as it feels like not having a technical diploma is getting my resume filtered out before it can be seriously reviewed. Would getting a Project Management Certificate from UofC/Sait/MRU to combine with my Bachelor Degree be worth it at this point? Looking for any suggestions

My Ride
    changes every year

Have you talked to your CM or PM?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Moving up should be easier within your own company than getting an external job if you don't have the exact qualifications they are looking for. Assuming your reputation is good within the company management that is.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    V8s

If base requirements for a job are tech diplomas or eng degrees, getting a random PM certificate isn't going to help.

Focus on networking as much as you can. Like ES said, within your company is your best shot, and within a friends company will be your next best shot. The market is flooded with people who hold eng degrees and tech diplomas, so unless you want to go get one of those (probably not a bad idea if you can swing it), network network network.

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Moving up should be easier within your own company than getting an external job if you don't have the exact qualifications they are looking for. Assuming your reputation is good within the company management that is.
    This 100% start within your own company and keep climbing.

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

You don't need any diploma, regardless of what the advertisement says.

Two things. Be organized (document everything, keep every email, create a system to ensure you can manage multiple projects simultaneously, etc.) and get shit done, be a bulldog. You have to walk a fine line of getting your projects done and being enjoyable to work with, while holding their balls in a vice. If you can do that, you'll be successful as a construction industry project coordinator/manager. You already have 75% people beat by having a vast practical knowledge of how it all works in the field, the office shit is easy.

My Ride
    Lexus/Toyota

What is your trade and do you work industrial or commercial?

On industrial jobs it is very common for field folks to move into coordinator roles.

Some typical roles you see are:
    Workface planners; building field work packages,
    Change management coordinators; helping put together field estimates for changes, collecting and preparing backup for change orders.
    QC roles; depending on their trade and background you see them in QC roles.

These are all good stepping stones up to a project coordinator role, and open up opportunities for Project or Construction Management roles. This is more typical in contractor organizations, less so on the owner side.

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    If base requirements for a job are tech diplomas or eng degrees, getting a random PM certificate isn't going to help.

Focus on networking as much as you can. Like ES said, within your company is your best shot, and within a friends company will be your next best shot. The market is flooded with people who hold eng degrees and tech diplomas, so unless you want to go get one of those (probably not a bad idea if you can swing it), network network network.
    Couldn't agree more, you get jobs in Project Management side especially in Construction is based on who you know instead of what you know... I am working as a Project Scheduler overseas because I had very good understanding with Project Director few years ago.