Quantcast
Recommend A Managed IP Telephony Solution - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Recommend A Managed IP Telephony Solution

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Default Recommend A Managed IP Telephony Solution

I'm tired of the on premise solution we have now. The interface is terrible, it only runs on Windows, I can't view call logs, I can't figure out how to configure it, it's too confusing. I'm looking at moving to a hosted / managed solution externally, something with a nice interface where I can see all calls, which users are on calls and make changes if necessary.

We have about 50 users on site here with 3 incoming numbers. One number comes in to a specific extension, another number to another extension and a 800 number which just forwards to one of the others. Each of those numbers will ring a primary before ringing to a backup. All other users only receive transfers from the 2 reception users.

We already have 10 SIP lines with VoIP.ms and phones for each user, I'd just like to switch over the service. All hardware is Avaya.

Does anyone have a suggestion which won't be $2000 per month?
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by Mar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm tired of the on premise solution we have now. The interface is terrible, it only runs on Windows, I can't view call logs, I can't figure out how to configure it, it's too confusing. I'm looking at moving to a hosted / managed solution externally, something with a nice interface where I can see all calls, which users are on calls and make changes if necessary.

We have about 50 users on site here with 3 incoming numbers. One number comes in to a specific extension, another number to another extension and a 800 number which just forwards to one of the others. Each of those numbers will ring a primary before ringing to a backup. All other users only receive transfers from the 2 reception users.

We already have 10 SIP lines with VoIP.ms and phones for each user, I'd just like to switch over the service. All hardware is Avaya.

Do you have 2 LAN ports per workstation by chance? Having your own, physically dedicated LAN for the voip is a good first step.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Yes, every station has a phone port and a separate data port. We're also migrating most stations over to laptops on Wi-Fi.
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

This one is popular with some MSP's - https://www.3cx.com/

Looks like it works with Avaya phones too.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

This isn't helpful, but whatever. Why the hell does any business require desk phones? Aside from one on the desk of the receptionist, why have desk phones for each worker at all?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This isn't helpful, but whatever. Why the hell does any business require desk phones? Aside from one on the desk of the receptionist, why have desk phones for each worker at all?
    Virtual phones are actually a huge PITA. If your computer is down then your phone is down. High CPU usage causes lag. If you're not logged into your computer then no phone either.

You still need to provide headsets, and they're a lot more delicate than a desk phone. And they tend to go missing.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    Virtual phones are actually a huge PITA. If your computer is down then your phone is down. High CPU usage causes lag. If you're not logged into your computer then no phone either.

You still need to provide headsets, and they're a lot more delicate than a desk phone. And they tend to go missing.
    Maybe it's because I've needed a company cellphone for my entire career, that seems easy to implement, and very reliable.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

CRA's getting picky about company provided cell phones these days (taxable benefit) and the last thing desk-bound employees need is a cell phone. That just invites abuse.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Didn't know that about CRA. Wonder when that's going to mess with me. I'ma way from my desk more than I'm at it, so a cellphone is totally necessary. I'd be PISSED if I was getting taxed on it as a benefit.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

The only thing my desk phone gets used for is people checking to see if I’m at my desk, which could be accomplished by just checking my Skype status.

I would much rather take calls on my cell phone.

Unless you are a call center I don’t see the need for a landline at all.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    Do you have 2 LAN ports per workstation by chance? Having your own, physically dedicated LAN for the voip is a good first step.
    For desk phones, single LAN port is fine as it can put the "PC" port on a separate VLAN from the phone for isolation. Your QOS will be done at the network level, and you'll have more than enough bandwidth on a single gigabit connection to handle AV on a desk phone with no issues.

I've had zero problems. Although I do have a desk phone, I'm mostly on my MacBook or Phone's virtual phone. I'm most likely getting rid of my desk phone completely at the new office. Headsets, love my AirPod Pros. The only problems we run into are people with bad internet connections at home, or on poor wifi fringe areas at office. India's not always perfect networks also gives us some grief. Audio quality is at the mercy of your internet connection, as well as the connection to their servers.

Unless you are a call center I don’t see the need for a landline at all.
    Audio recording, audio logging, conversation transcriptions, some reasons why we don't run business on cell phone lines.

To answer Mar's question, we use 8x8, but we haven't been happy with audio quality out of our India office because of inconsistent performance to their servers. It works great in Calgary, even on cell phone. No clue what it costs. We've been on 8x8 for 5 or 6 years I think now. Call my work #, it'll ring everywhere I'm logged in, Desk phone, smartphone app, MacBook app.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    911 is a big reason too, if you're alone and are choking and can't speak your cell call might as well be coming from the other end of the city as far as the PSAP is concerned. I have never known if businesses are legally required to provide phones for staff to call 911 but I think many just want to avoid the hassle of someone dying when a 911 call could have made all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    I've had zero problems. Although I do have a desk phone, I'm mostly on my MacBook or Phone's virtual phone. I'm most likely getting rid of my desk phone completely at the new office. Headsets, love my AirPod Pros. The only problems we run into are people with bad internet connections at home, or on poor wifi fringe areas at office. India's not always perfect networks also gives us some grief. Audio quality is at the mercy of your internet connection, as well as the connection to their servers.
    So you're going to give all the employees AirPods? Nothing bad can come of that.

A good headset costs over $200. A desk phone costs $200.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

So you're going to give all the employees AirPods? Nothing bad can come of that.

A good headset costs over $200. A desk phone costs $200.
    That's not what I'm saying. A couple of us on Macs use AirPods for work and it works. You can use whatever headset you find comfortable. Laptop + headset, cellphone + headset, just cell phone, or desk phone. Lots of options to choose from. Deskphones are typically free from the cloud providers.

I'm glad we're not managing phone systems anymore. We went from an NEC system managed by WBM (slow turnaround time for problems), to an in house managed Cisco setup (poor @Mibz dealing with that) and now to a cloud provider 8x8 who handles any problems on their end relatively quickly. Much easier when it's someone else's problem who has better expertise than we do.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    to an in house managed Cisco setup (poor @Mibz dealing with that)
    Whoof, that's not a good time. Was once part of a team that managed an in-house Asterisk SIP system with Aastra hardware and while it did have its quirks, at least it beat dealing with Cisco.

I was running a pilot program to integrate newer Snom hardware but I left before it got off the ground... a shame as those were nice phones.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

To be fair @Mibz did a great job at it. Everyone loved those phones.

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

Quote Originally Posted by Mar View Post

sounds like our old one it was a CT-PBX-618 , large ISA Card with 6 lines and 18 extensions it only ran on Windows 2000 I did setup in 2000 we used it for 10 years than switched a Open source PBX Asterisk

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

You pee telephony?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Sentry View Post
    You pee telephony?
    Look under there!

One of these on every desk, pretty much indestructible but quite limited in tech though...

Name:  20191208_094825.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  40.3 KB
    Will fuck off, again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast