Quantcast
Question about home heating and running fan 24/7 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Question about home heating and running fan 24/7

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Default Question about home heating and running fan 24/7

In an effort to make the basement and my daughters bedroom warmer Ive been running my fan 24/7 except we have one furnace with a damper system attached to it. So there are two thermostats that can call for heat. The upstairs thermostat is set to 19.5 all the time. The downstairs is set to 19.5 as well. I only have the upstairs fan set to run all the time. My question is - if the downstairs thermostat calls for heat will it just change the dampers to close upstairs and open main level/basement even though the fan is running always on for the top floor.

Last night I set the upstairs to 20 with the fan on and I found that the whole house was overall warmer. The basement which is usually between 15 and 16 all the time was a cozy 19.5 this morning. The main level was 22 and the upstairs was 20 as well.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Can’t answer your question, but the key to equalization is airflow circulation, not heating or cooling. Running the fan 24/7 is doing just that. If you have a smart thermostat you can control how much you want to run the fan. Also if you’re running a DC motor, it’ll save you a ton of money running the fan for that long. I saved around $80/month in electricity from upgrading.

My current setup has my fan running 20% speed at all times, with the fan running a minimum of 15 mins per hour. Thats the minimum runtime to equalize the temps on all 3 floors.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name