Quantcast
UCP supporters why you so silent? - Page 20 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10 19 20

Thread: UCP supporters why you so silent?

My Ride
    '13 GT1R

There was no "found money". . they had to rob Peter to pay Paul. Shifted badly needed funds
    Gets the lay offs to finish the year, that's all.

Remember, ALL school boards are massively short. Not just CBE
    GT1R. 8.82@169
    Mission

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Bandit View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Rep given for the last line.

As for the overall sentiment towards the business of information, it's well past corrupt at this point and I don't see any real source of accurate, unbiased information. The best solution I've come up with is shutting the evening news off at dinner and putting Spongebob Squarepants on instead.
    I rely on south park. Only drawback is I’m in the dark 9 months of the year.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    ute

There has never been an "unbiased news source". There was never a golden age of journalism. That's just a fallacy.

Now, just like always you have to look carefully at the source of any piece of information to determine its bias.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    There has never been an "unbiased news source". There was never a golden age of journalism. That's just a fallacy.

Now, just like always you have to look carefully at the source of any piece of information to determine its bias.
    Biased, sure. It used to be much easier to filter out the bias. The problem today is that news sources aren’t even fact checked properly, and you have to rely on other news sources or social media calling out the poor excuse for journalism, and vet out if that source was accurate. It’s literally work to fact check to make sure you can be presented with an unbiased view.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    ute

I think it used to be harder to filter out the bias. All you had were what the media companies spoon fed you. It's more chaotic now, but now that people understand that there is no authority on the truth, they aren't relying on one or two sources that they deem to be trustworthy. For DECADES people thought the NYT was a beacon of journalism. Now people know it's just another piece of trash on the trash heap. Just like all the rest of them.

Quote Originally Posted by MalibuStacy View Post
    Oh I am aware, I'm not even on a year long temp I am only a lowly mat leave temp.

As a teacher I can say it disheartens me to see that my employer was willing to gamble their students well being in an attempt to pressure the Gov.

Not that this is a permanent fix, this 15m is only till June and then the board will have to do it again without a safety net.

And contrary to many beliefs, I am not a union pro teacher. I grew up in a union house hold and watched my Dad fight with the union against telus, only to eventually see that the whole system was broke. Additionally, although I support public education over private, I prefer that teachers should work to be innovative and progressive (to keep their positions) rather than simply working for tenure.
    Heh, I also fought against the union while in the union and involved with the union.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's tough to have a good view of what's really happening. It's a combination of classic journalism becoming a dying industry, replaced by what we now have as media diving and baiting readers with catchy headlines, as well as social media amplifying all that based on their preferred views.

While it's tough, it's not impossible. Spend time and read past the headline from multiple sources and make some common sense judgement on the things underneath the skewed perspective, and you're 80% there and better than 99% of the people out there trying to convince you that they're the saviour and the other guy is pure evil.

It's no different than filtering the bullshit from beyond. We've literally prepared you for this over the years.
    I was going to say, you guys have TRIED to prepare me for this. But lets remember who we're talking about here.
    Cos...

My Ride
    '20 SS 1LE

I think it used to be harder to filter out the bias. All you had were what the media companies spoon fed you. It's more chaotic now, but now that people understand that there is no authority on the truth, they aren't relying on one or two sources that they deem to be trustworthy. For DECADES people thought the NYT was a beacon of journalism. Now people know it's just another piece of trash on the trash heap. Just like all the rest of them.
    Wrong. For decades academics have trashed the NYT for its inherent bias, you just had to look beyond the obvious sources to find that kind of criticism.

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Bandit View Post
    The best solution I've come up with is shutting the evening news off at dinner and putting Spongebob Squarepants on instead.
    There's a difference?

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by EM2FTL View Post
    Wrong. For decades academics have trashed the NYT for its inherent bias, you just had to look beyond the obvious sources to find that kind of criticism.
    People STILL think its a beacon of journalism. Not all people. But enough to do damage.

Which is worse for society:
    Having the majority be told what to think by a handful of news companies that were biased but not really worried about getting maximum attention by creating outrage

or

Having the majority have access to all the worlds information but mostly being led into echo chambers by social media that thrives on creating outrage for attention

People are more....informed? I guess? They know more things but a lot of people know things that are misleading or straight out lies. And now on top of that everyone is angry

For people that can sift through the bullshit this is a great time to be alive as we can finally know the answers to things we could have only guessed about before, but for me personally I am not happy or optimistic about where social media is taking our society

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Quote Originally Posted by Swank View Post
    There's a difference?
    Spongebob has better music.

"Ohhhhhhhhhh, who lives in pinneapple under the sea?"

About the only thing I trust on the evening newscast are the sports scores, the rest of it is 2% "fact" and 98% sensationalized bullshit.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by EM2FTL View Post
    People STILL think its a beacon of journalism. Not all people. But enough to do damage.
    Bee Gees criticized NYT in '77.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Antonito View Post
    Which is worse for society:
    Having the majority be told what to think by a handful of news companies that were biased but not really worried about getting maximum attention by creating outrage

or

Having the majority have access to all the worlds information but mostly being led into echo chambers by social media that thrives on creating outrage for attention
    The latter, it's creating a horrid amount of animosity/hatred along with the dumbing down of the masses. I can't help but to feel it's primarily agenda driven with a less than honourable end goal but that does start to lean into the aluminum hat world haha
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Quote Originally Posted by Antonito View Post
    People are more....informed? I guess? They know more things but a lot of people know things that are misleading or straight out lies. And now on top of that everyone is angry
    People are way less informed than they used to be. Back before the fairness act re: journalism was repealed in the good 'ol U S of A, news was somewhwat impartial and it was easier to find facts. Today it's bullshit.

It's funny when people tell me to "just Google it". The fuck? Do you know what I do for a living? Google is my bitch and I know how easy it is to rank anything I want there.

Don't trust what you find via Google.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    People are way less informed than they used to be. Back before the fairness act re: journalism was repealed in the good 'ol U S of A, news was somewhwat impartial and it was easier to find facts. Today it's bullshit.

It's funny when people tell me to "just Google it". The fuck? Do you know what I do for a living? Google is my bitch and I know how easy it is to rank anything I want there.

Don't trust what you find via Google.
    Restricting free speech is the way to being more informed?

The fairness act was nonsense, and the concept was just hilariously bad.

People are vastly more informed nowadays. The problem is the signal to noise ratio is also worse. But peoples' failings at critical thinking and synthesizing information is not the same as saying they have less information available to them.
    Last edited by Buster; 12-17-2019 at 01:03 PM.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Restricting free speech is the way to being more informed?

The fairness act was nonsense, and the concept was just hilariously bad.

People are vastly more informed nowadays. The problem is the signal to noise ratio is also worse. But peoples' failings at critical thinking and synthesizing information is not the same as saying they have less information available to them.
    lol we're just gonna agree to disagree on this one my libertarian friend.

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10 19 20