Quantcast
UCP supporters why you so silent? - Page 10 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: UCP supporters why you so silent?

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Quote Originally Posted by kobe tai View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Back on track where do we go from here? Assuming that the UCP is able to get the budget balanced by 2023 (a big if) is the plan moving forward to let Albertans live with underfunded healthcare/education and have the population carry the burden with higher taxation? Will the pipelines save the province?

Thats asking a loaded question, as its not always about more funding..(or being underfunded) its about being more efficient with what you have. Same goes for the Municipal Government.. cant always be reaching in the tax payers pockets to fund the Union pay raises or pet projects. Id venture to say at least 50% of Albertans have had to cut back in some shape or form, but for some reason the levels of government and public sector employees seem to be the last to follow suit. Albertans have been extremely lucky with the oil gravy train, barring some world event I dont see it coming back anytime soon, so the current state could be seen as the new normal.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I understand that but UCP seems to be confused in this as they are on one hand trying to attract by lowering the tax rate but on other hand killing the incentives that are in place in order to attract diversification of industry. And cuts to education are counter productive to diversification as well.
    Diversification is always a fascinating goal. What % of Alberta’s economy would you deem to be an appropriate target for the Oil & Gas industry?

Because it is currently ~26%, in terms of GDP, probably less than you thought it was.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Diversification is always a fascinating goal. What % of Alberta’s economy would you deem to be an appropriate target for the Oil & Gas industry?

Because it is currently ~26%, in terms of GDP, probably less than you thought it was.
    Now one will ask what about by association...way to jump into the rabbit hole.

My Ride
    '13 GT1R

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Put another way:. You have no evidence that my opinion is based on ignorance. What teachers do is not particularly obscure. And not all assumptions are based on lack of information.
    Of course we have evidence. Your opinion is too idiotic, and not based on anyone's sense of reality. Lol.

It's like claiming you are god. Of course you aren't. You are too fucking dumb. No evidence is necessary.
    GT1R. 8.82@169
    Mission

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

If I'm reading between the lines correctly, a good target is 5%, with a margin of error of +- 5%.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

I actually assumed it was around 20%.

Quote Originally Posted by R-Audi View Post
    Thats asking a loaded question, as its not always about more funding..(or being underfunded) its about being more efficient with what you have. Same goes for the Municipal Government.. cant always be reaching in the tax payers pockets to fund the Union pay raises or pet projects. Id venture to say at least 50% of Albertans have had to cut back in some shape or form, but for some reason the levels of government and public sector employees seem to be the last to follow suit. Albertans have been extremely lucky with the oil gravy train, barring some world event I dont see it coming back anytime soon, so the current state could be seen as the new normal.
    But when the gravy train was here, and private sector wages were through the roof, the teachers were (and still are) on a pay freeze. I think through the freeze the wages have been rolled back around 15-20% due to inflation. I agree with you on the municipalities though. I am not sure how Calgary differs but the waste and poor management in Edmonton is appalling.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I was baited by a master.
    I don’t even know how I got baited. I was just answering soloracer on how much teachers earn today lol.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    I don’t even know how I got baited. I was just answering soloracer on how much teachers earn today lol.

I'd agree teachers don't have an easy job. Although they don't have it any worse than most other careers. The big thing to consider when it comes to salaries, should be the value a position adds. So it's hard to justify a teacher salary raise, when I can keep my kid home from school and teach them in my spare time, and still yield the same or better academic results. With that in consideration, what is the real value provided by teachers?

In any sense, the issue here is not teacher salaries or number of teaching jobs. It is the same issue as every other public sector or government agency. It is bureaucracy and waste through inefficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    The big thing to consider when it comes to salaries, should be the value a position adds. So it's hard to justify a teacher salary raise, when I can keep my kid home from school and teach them in my spare time, and still yield the same or better academic results. With that in consideration, what is the real value provided by teachers?
    No offense but this might be the stupidiest thing I read in this whole thread.

My Ride
    '13 GT1R

Damn, at least top 3.
    GT1R. 8.82@169
    Mission

No offense taken. Your post seems to highlight more about you than you realize. And the truth always seems to bring out the butthurt.
    Last edited by Misterman; 12-04-2019 at 11:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by asp integra View Post
    Going back to finding places to cut $$ vs letting teachers go, I read something about rent the CBE was paying on offices/buildings that are not and have not been in use for some time. That alone would give them the $$ they need to pay thier teachers.

At the same time, this would be a perfect time to let teachers go who abuse the system, are terrible teachers etc. My wife has seen first hand teachers she has worked with who over an entire calendar school year have never worked 5 days in a row, taken sick leave etc. Really the only way for a teacher to get fired is if they have an inappropriate relationship with a student. If they are a crap teacher they just get moved to another school. In the private sector if you suck at your job you get fired, you don't get multiple chances in the same company.

It's all too apparent you never worked at TELUS, management or not, there's plenty of people there who suck at their job but still coast through to retirement with a package to boot.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

I understand that but UCP seems to be confused in this as they are on one hand trying to attract by lowering the tax rate but on other hand killing the incentives that are in place in order to attract diversification of industry. And cuts to education are counter productive to diversification as well.
    I've never quite understood all the "incentives" and other special programs for business. Just put in place a low and competitive tax-rate and educate the population and good things will happen. If a business needs an incentive to start, they'll probably need ongoing incentives to be competitive.

Perhaps investments (for a share in equity) for R&D projects or projects that will help the government/society are justified, but the funding should be based on a particular risk file and on the same terms as investments from private equity. Taxpayers shouldn't be funding companies just because they *might* eventually be profitable.

The big thing to consider when it comes to salaries, should be the value a position adds. So it's hard to justify a teacher salary raise, when I can keep my kid home from school and teach them in my spare time, and still yield the same or better academic results. With that in consideration, what is the real value provided by teachers?
    Wow. This might be the dumbest thing I've heard in 2019. Sums up the general ignorance as to what teachers really do though.

Do you really think tutoring your kid at home is the same as planning and teaching lessons to 30 kids, with a mix of ESL, special needs, and G&T children from various household situations, not to mention all of the related marking, reporting, and discipline?

The way I see it, teachers help fill the gap for a society filled with shitty parents.

Quote Originally Posted by davidI View Post

Wow. This might be the dumbest thing I've heard in 2019. Sums up the general ignorance as to what teachers really do though.

Do you really think tutoring your kid at home is the same as planning and teaching lessons to 30 kids, with a mix of ESL, special needs, and G&T children from various household situations, not to mention all of the related marking, reporting, and discipline?

The way I see it, teachers help fill the gap for a society filled with shitty parents.
    It's ironic that you would say how dumb something is, and then attempt to be trying to top that.

Who the fuck said anything about lesson planning for 30 kids, ESL, or special needs? I said I(as in myself) could school MY kid at home, and achieve the same or better academic results. There is nothing dumb or stupid about this statement at all if anyone gave half a second to actually read it. My kid isn't going to get much academic value from attending classes filled with a bunch of other distracting mouth breathing kids, and following a vague lesson plan meant to try and appeal to a multitude of different learning styles. Myself and virtually any other half witted parent who graduated school should be able to get pretty sufficient results from their kids with dedicated one on one teaching catered to the specific child. This is not splitting atoms here. The biggest value most children are going to get from the school system is learning human interaction.

So again, I appreciate and respect a teachers job. But my taxes funding their salary is not for the direct purpose of trying to turn my kid into Einstein, I know I'll have a much better shot at that on my own. Which makes it hard to really care that much about them not getting raises. Even an amazerballs teacher with the potential to better educate students, is still going to struggle to produce results due to being bound by a curriculum.

You're absolutely right on one thing. Teachers help fill the gap of shitty parents. And that is really their main job.
    Last edited by Misterman; 12-05-2019 at 03:54 AM.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

^You're making so little sense that I'm not even going to bother trying to understand your argument.

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

I'd agree teachers don't have an easy job. Although they don't have it any worse than most other careers. The big thing to consider when it comes to salaries, should be the value a position adds. So it's hard to justify a teacher salary raise, when I can keep my kid home from school and teach them in my spare time, and still yield the same or better academic results. With that in consideration, what is the real value provided by teachers?

In any sense, the issue here is not teacher salaries or number of teaching jobs. It is the same issue as every other public sector or government agency. It is bureaucracy and waste through inefficiency.
    If you can "afford" to take time to teach your child one-on-one, I would say this says more about your own worth and productivity than it does about the value of teachers...

A highly productive member of society has a number of better cost/benefit options in educating their child(ren) than doing it on their own time, not all of which involve jamming them into a 35:1 ratio, lowest-common-denominator sausage factory.

Your argument sucks.

I'd call teaching 1,000,000 students with one teacher - efficient. That's basically what the internet is, the single most powerful entity of learning ever conceived.

1:1 teaching is what will cause the downfall of civilization. That being said, when I took computer programming there were only three students.
    Cocoa $10,000 per ton.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by davidI View Post
    I've never quite understood all the "incentives" and other special programs for business. Just put in place a low and competitive tax-rate and educate the population and good things will happen. If a business needs an incentive to start, they'll probably need ongoing incentives to be competitive.
    I believe that's what's wrong with globalization. All businesses are looking for handouts to be located in a jurisdiction. LA got all the talents but incentives is why most movies are shot in TO/Vancouver and of course Marvel town, Atlanta.

It's not about low taxes and talents any more, it's about what else you are willing to give to keep an industry around.

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 ... LastLast